Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie. 
Post Re: Hey, so... yeah. Sorry I Made That One Movie.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Alec Guinness hated Star Wars, and called George Lucas' dialogue "awful, banal."

Harrison Ford was overheard grumbling, "You can type this shit, George, but you sure as hell can't say it."

It reminds me of the famous behind-the-scenes audio from Orson Welles' frozen peas commercial.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Alec Guinness hated Star Wars, and called George Lucas' dialogue "awful, banal."

Harrison Ford was overheard grumbling, "You can type this shit, George, but you sure as hell can't say it."

It reminds me of the famous behind-the-scenes audio from Orson Welles' frozen peas commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

Rosebud brand frozen peas.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm
Assistant Director

What about people who SHOULD apologize for movies they made, but haven't?

Oren Moverman for Rampart.
Michael Mann for Miami Vice and Public Enemies
Colin Farrell for Total Recall (although for the money he probably got paid, he probably doesn't feel that he needs to).
Chris Weitz for "Twilight: New Moon" (my guess is that he was a hired gun...nothing even Spielberg could do with the script and "talent" that he had)
The cast of The Avengers (am I the only one who didn't like this movie?)

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
If there's any film Farrel should apologize for, it's American Outlaws, Total Recall was at least entertaining.

I enjoyed Avengers but I do think it's been overrated by critics, as far as comic-book films go, i'd rather watch the Punisher films.

I think Naomi Watts should apologize for Funny Games and The Ring Two(as should the director).

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:58 pm
Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:

Allow me to introduce you to MGamesCook

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 pm
Producer

moviemkr7 wrote:

Colin Farrell for Total Recall (although for the money he probably got paid, he probably doesn't feel that he needs to).
Chris Weitz for "Twilight: New Moon" (my guess is that he was a hired gun...nothing even Spielberg could do with the script and "talent" that he had)

I too thought Public Enemies was a towering disappointment.

On Total Recall, it's interesting to note that Colin Farrell is now tee-total. I wonder if he is one of these people who can't function whilst sober?

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 am
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

On Total Recall, it's interesting to note that Colin Farrell is now tee-total. I wonder if he is one of these people who can't function whilst sober?

Only someone with impaired judgement would ever agree to appear in a movie by Len Wiseman, no matter the paycheck. I'd rather appear in a Uwe Boll movie. At least then you'd get the chance to ham it up and laugh at it over (a lot) of drinks.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

Only someone with impaired judgement would ever agree to appear in a movie by Len Wiseman, no matter the paycheck. I'd rather appear in a Uwe Boll movie. At least then you'd get the chance to ham it up and laugh at it over (a lot) of drinks.

Eh, I don't see anything wrong with Wiseman, i'd sooner do a movie with him then say David O Russell, at least with the former you won't constantly get screamed at for every little thing.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 pm
Assistant Director

Quote:

If Len Wiseman heard that, why, he'd be furious! Of course, he'd have trouble hearing you over Kate Beckinsale's ear-splitting orgasm.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Eh, I don't see anything wrong with Wiseman, i'd sooner do a movie with him then say David O Russell, at least with the former you won't constantly get screamed at for every little thing.

O Russell kicks Wiseman's ass as a Director.

I have respect for Wiseman for one thing, and one thing only....and it ain't film making!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 am
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:

O Russell kicks Wiseman's ass as a Director.

I have respect for Wiseman for one thing, and one thing only....and it ain't film making!

Huckabees was a piece of shit film anyone could've made, given the choice between getting screamed at(and even kicked in the case of some extras in Three Kinds) and working with someone who's worst offense is that he likes casting his wife in his films, i'd gladly choose the latter.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am
Producer

I was going to post this in the general interviews/articles thread, but I came across this thread first and it seems to fit.

Quentin Tarantino reveals his pick for worst Quentin Tarantino movie.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 pm
Cinematographer

George Lucas disowned Howard the Duck which is in the List of films considered the worst ever made

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Well, I did a little research on two infamous movies that usually come up in any list of late 70s movies which caused (or did they ?) the end of director driven movies of the "New Hollywood": Of course it's Michael Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" (never watched it - all trailers and clips scream: murky, pointles and boring - but I will give it a try ASAP) and Steven spielberg's "1941" (which I happen to like quite a bit).

I could not find any kind of statement from either director addressing their respective movies in any manner resembling a real apology. The very informative 2004 documentary "Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate" is up on YouTube in eight parts. Cimino did not want to be involved and refused to make any kind of statement (mentioned near the end credits). You might want to check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcRiPLp4oU

Well Spielberg "recovered" rather quickly from "1941" (which isn't that bad IMHO) whereas "Heaven's Gate" spelled the end of Cimino's career. It would be neat hearing some kind of non-defensive statement from either Director. Both movies are very obviously unnecessarily over-bloated, extravagant and self-indulgent productions.

Perhaps this is Spielberg saying "I'm sorry" ? :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIpyTGHXto

Any further information highly appreciated.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm
Producer

I love hearing people apologise for Movies. I remember an Anthony Hopkins interview where he said that he had the genuine, bona fida intention of never being in a shit film, but then when he let his guard down it just sort of happened.

He referred to "Bad Company" as f*cking awful, and stated that he'd never properly read the script before signing the contract.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 am
Producer

I wonder what Jeff Bridges thinks of the completely lacklustre 1970s remake of King Kong.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:57 am
Director

Bill Murray has sort of apologized for Garfield:

Quote:
I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, "So-and-so and Joel Coen." And I thought: Christ, well, I love those Coens! They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, Yeah, I'd like to do that...So they went off and shot the movie, and I forgot all about it. Finally, I went out to L.A. to record my lines. And usually when you're looping a movie, if it takes two days, that's a lot. I don't know if I should even tell this story, because it's kind of mean. [beat] What the hell? It's interesting. So I worked all day and kept going, "That's the line? Well, I can't say that." And you sit there and go, What can I say that will make this funny? And make it make sense? And I worked. I was exhausted, soaked with sweat, and the lines got worse and worse. And I said, "Okay, you better show me the whole rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with." So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, "Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the fuck was Coen thinking?" And then they explained it to me: It wasn't written by that Joel Coen.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
I wonder what Jeff Bridges thinks of the completely lacklustre 1970s remake of King Kong.

De Laurentiis's King Kong isn't so bad. There are some things it does better than Peter Jackson's IMO, especially the representation of Skull Island and the natives.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Alex wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

De Laurentiis's King Kong isn't so bad. There are some things it does better than Peter Jackson's IMO, especially the representation of Skull Island and the natives.

I've got to agree with Alex here. Kong '76 may not have been perfect, but I'm not sure Bridges owes us an apology.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm
Producer

I have to disagree. The film is remarkably lifeless to say it has a giant ape in it.

It's just a bad film throughout.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next