It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:40 am

Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition" 
Producer

Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Shade2 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review

Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.

Don't count out Django Unchained. If James gave Inglourious Basterds 4 stars, then I think it's certainly possible for Django Unchained as well. Especially since I personally think Django Unchained looks much better than IB, of course I also didn't think IB was all that great.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 am
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review

Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.

Don't count out Django Unchained. If James gave Inglourious Basterds 4 stars, then I think it's certainly possible for Django Unchained as well. Especially since I personally think Django Unchained looks much better than IB, of course I also didn't think IB was all that great.

There are a bunch of late-2012 films I haven't yet seen, although a couple of them are upcoming within the next week. The "high potential" ones I haven't seen are:

THE IMPOSSIBLE
THE HOBBIT
DJANGO UNCHAINED
AMOUR (probably won't be able to see it until 2013 - Sony Classics hates the Philadelphia market)
PROMISED LAND
ZERO DARK THIRTY

Also haven't seen JACK REACHER or THIS IS 40, but I'm not convinced either has much Top 10 potential. I have no plans to see GUILT TRIP or PARENTAL GUIDANCE (although I could end up seeing one or both if they are screened at the right time at the right location).

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

James Berardinelli wrote:

There are a bunch of late-2012 films I haven't yet seen, although a couple of them are upcoming within the next week. The "high potential" ones I haven't seen are:

THE IMPOSSIBLE
THE HOBBIT
DJANGO UNCHAINED
AMOUR (probably won't be able to see it until 2013 - Sony Classics hates the Philadelphia market)
PROMISED LAND
ZERO DARK THIRTY

Also haven't seen JACK REACHER or THIS IS 40, but I'm not convinced either has much Top 10 potential. I have no plans to see GUILT TRIP or PARENTAL GUIDANCE (although I could end up seeing one or both if they are screened at the right time at the right location).

You might be surprised by This is 40. Although there are only 7 reviews out so far, This is 40 has 100% at rotten tomatoes and Apatow is actually getting some of his best reviews yet with these early reviews.

More impressive than the 100%, given how early it is and that there are only 7 reviews so far, is that the average rating thus far is 8.6 out of 10. That's pretty high.

Jack Reacher obviously doesn't look like top 10 material but it still looks really fun.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:11 am
Second Unit Director

Most of the list is justifiably bad but I have to disagree with To Rome With Love choice. While it is not his best work at least it had some of parts that were more than watchable such as the separate episodes with Roberto Benigni and Penelope Cruz. I can't say the same for The Raven which was mind numbingly boring despite it's very intriguing concept and Rock of Ages was just plain painful to watch and listen to and maybe the worst movie of the year. Then there is Adam Sandler's That's My Boy where everyone involved should be rounded up and detained so they never make movies again. It must be a low bar/high bar thing as straight up head to head there is no contest which is worse and almost destroys your faith in humanity.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 am
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Most of the list is justifiably bad but I have to disagree with To Rome With Love choice. While it is not his best work at least it had some of parts that were more than watchable such as the separate episodes with Roberto Benigni and Penelope Cruz. I can't say the same for The Raven which was mind numbingly boring despite it's very intriguing concept and Rock of Ages was just plain painful to watch and listen to and maybe the worst movie of the year. Then there is Adam Sandler's That's My Boy where everyone involved should be rounded up and detained so they never make movies again. It must be a low bar/high bar thing as straight up head to head there is no contest which is worse and almost destroys your faith in humanity.

Twilight destroyed my faith in humanity far more then any low-brow comedy could.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Twilight destroyed my faith in humanity far more then any low-brow comedy could.

Well at least half of humanity. Twilight is the Uggs of Cinema.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 am