Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion 
Post Re: Movies you *hate* with a fiery, burning passion
Remember, it's not bestiality, it's inter-species relations.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:44 am
thered47 wrote:
Technically, dolphins aren't fish, they're aquatic mammals.
-Jeremy

I thank you, but I believe sanity no longer has a place in this thread.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:16 pm
Director

MunichMan wrote:
Remember, it's not bestiality, it's inter-species relations.

Inter-species erotica, my friend.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm
Seems I have been missing out on quite a lot which seems like fun. I am listening and learing. Please keep it coming. Please take note: I used the letter "o" in he last word of my last sentence - as opposed to "u".

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:16 pm
Second Unit Director

I'm tempted to make a Free Willy joke, but I think I've debased this forum enough...

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:40 pm
Assistant Director

I believe bears are pretty randy as well.

And yes, I'm well aware of the implied innuendo.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Quote:
Starship Troopers. Yeah I (finally) get that it is supposed to be satire. If that was indeed the intention, it is the most ham-handed attempt at such that I have ever seen. The "satire' (as such) is undercut at every turn by the pathetic cinemagraphic choices made by the director and the appallingly hopeless pre-modern tactics and strategies depicted. To pull off a good satire, suspension of disbelief must be maintained from the very first frame, and here suspension of disbelief is blown completely out of the water right from the start by the film's ridiculous implausibilities.

x1000. I saw this for the first time a couple months ago. Strong candidate for the worst movie experience I've ever had. It also forced me to go from mildly respecting Total Recall to not so much anymore. Starship isn't simply bad; it's morally wrong. I'm all for violence in movies, even sadistic violence, when its given proper dramatic weight and scale. When violence is affectless, I feel like I'm watching a snuff video, and that was the case with Starship.

Not to mention that Verhoeven has no respect for the appeal of a good space travel movie. It's nothing to do with A vs. B movies. I love films like Wrath of Khan, Supernova, Event Horizon, Mission to Mars, and even Space Truckers. The eerie sadness of outer space is what gets me.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:42 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
Starship Troopers. Yeah I (finally) get that it is supposed to be satire. If that was indeed the intention, it is the most ham-handed attempt at such that I have ever seen. The "satire' (as such) is undercut at every turn by the pathetic cinemagraphic choices made by the director and the appallingly hopeless pre-modern tactics and strategies depicted. To pull off a good satire, suspension of disbelief must be maintained from the very first frame, and here suspension of disbelief is blown completely out of the water right from the start by the film's ridiculous implausibilities.

x1000. I saw this for the first time a couple months ago. Strong candidate for the worst movie experience I've ever had. It also forced me to go from mildly respecting Total Recall to not so much anymore. Starship isn't simply bad; it's morally wrong. I'm all for violence in movies, even sadistic violence, when its given proper dramatic weight and scale. When violence is affectless, I feel like I'm watching a snuff video, and that was the case with Starship.

Not to mention that Verhoeven has no respect for the appeal of a good space travel movie. It's nothing to do with A vs. B movies. I love films like Wrath of Khan, Supernova, Event Horizon, Mission to Mars, and even Space Truckers. The eerie sadness of outer space is what gets me.

I don't hate the movie at all, but I hate that a few people think it's great. When the AV Club, who I respect a lot, made their Top Movies of the 90s list, Starship Troopers cracked it and Schindler's List didn't. Fuck that

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:50 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

I don't hate the movie at all, but I hate that a few people think it's great. When the AV Club, who I respect a lot, made their Top Movies of the 90s list, Starship Troopers cracked it and Schindler's List didn't. Fuck that
I think it's a pretty good film, though I certianly wouldn't call it a top film of the 90s, as it's not quite up to the standards of Total Recall and Robocop. Schindler's List is one of those that's good but extremely difficult for me to watch.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm
Gaffer

Avatar: If I were to come up with three words to describe the story, its universe and its characters those three words would be: lifeless, uninspired, uninteresting. According to the critics responsible for making me eager to see this garbage, the nice special effects make up for that. They do not.

Transformers 2: I don't think I've ever seen such an over-long soul crushing anal waste of a movie. Every minute I was reminded how terrible this movie was. Every single action scene was poorly shot and poorly choreographed. The characters were asinine and 2 dimensional. All of the sub plots built up to nothing and were also asinine. There's no threat or sense of menace, the villains let the main characters escape repeatedly when they could easily obliterate them with cannons or just step on them, and the movie changes/makes up its own rules as it goes along becoming completely incoherent at the end. Almost every line reminded me how stupid this was. Simple continuity errors like a navy officer observing 5 mobile objects, one object is destroyed but replaced by another, and the same officer exclaims a moment later that now there are 6 objects!! No sorry, 5 - 1 + 1 is still 5.

Super 8:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A movie where a 12 year old girl climbs into a 12 year old boys window so they talk about the movie they're making and how they can stop the monster that is invading their town. A 12 year old boy takes on the military to save a 12 year old girl. The 12 year old boy has annoying poorly developed 12 year old friends whose "personalities" are each centered around 1 characteristic, and all of them survive. A monster picks off townspeople for the running length but at the end you find out no one is really dead. The monster you're supposed to be afraid of turns out to be a pussy. The climax is the boy giving a speech to the monster about feelings and how to treat your friends. The real villain turns out to be the military, lead by irritating poorly developed whose personalities are basically "grrr I hate the environment I don't recycle and I kick kittens". No, this movie is not a Saturday morning cartoon and yes it is meant to be taken seriously. Honestly the movie was on a good path leading up to and including the train wreck, after that the movie failed to tighten up and unfold in a reasonably dark monster movie manner. Instead it continued spinning it's wheels for another hour or so and decided to be kiddie oriented schlock. This is a monster movie for 7 year olds, real-life 12 year olds have already moved onto Cloverfield.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm
Producer

Quote:
A movie where a 12 year old girl climbs into a 12 year old boys window so they talk about the movie they're making and how they can stop the monster that is invading their town.

Thank you. This is what I said all along. Apparently Abrams believes you can transport the Wes Craven highschool device to 12 year old nerds. It's a very depressing movie to watch, where kids watch adults get killed in very gory ways without having much reaction. There have been more creative and heartfelt ET knock-offs, like Small Soldiers.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:30 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
A movie where a 12 year old girl climbs into a 12 year old boys window so they talk about the movie they're making and how they can stop the monster that is invading their town.

Thank you. This is what I said all along. Apparently Abrams believes you can transport the Wes Craven highschool device to 12 year old nerds. It's a very depressing movie to watch, where kids watch adults get killed in very gory ways without having much reaction. There have been more creative and heartfelt ET knock-offs, like Small Soldiers.

I was also somewhat dissapointed with that film, it just seemed like a bunch of homage ideas randomly thrown together without much regard for logic. Hopefully this film is just a minor misstep for Abrams and he gets back into the swing of things with the Star Trek sequel.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

I always thought that Starship Troopers was meant to be agressively bad and tasteless... on purpose.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 am
Producer

Has anyone seen Prince of Persia (2010)?

I don't hate it, but I struggle to know how to react to such ridiculousness these days.

Laugh at the sheer joke of it all, or cry that this joke is still being pushed on the public?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 am
Producer

Quote:
I was also somewhat dissapointed with that film, it just seemed like a bunch of homage ideas randomly thrown together without much regard for logic.

Especially visual logic. It's not a pretty film to look at. Perhaps Super 8 is an apt title, cause it ain't one for the blu-ray age.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
I always thought that Starship Troopers was meant to be agressively bad and tasteless... on purpose.

It absolutely is. It's more a satire of propaganda films than anything else. I wouldn't call it a great film, but it's one I like a great deal (I own it). I think Slant Magazine said it best on their Best Movies of the 90s:

Slant wrote:
20. Starship Troopers. It seems fitting that it took stumbling upon an obscure Soviet-era concept for me to feel like I had the vocabulary to talk about Paul Verhoeven with any degree of accuracy. That concept is stiob, which I'll crudely define as a form of parody requiring such a degree of over-identification with the subject being parodied that it becomes impossible to tell where the love for that subject ends and the parody begins. And so there, in 32 words, is the Hollywood cinema of Paul Verhoeven. Starship Troopers then has to be a bad movie, insofar as that means that the acting is not dramatically convincing, the story is hopelessly contrived, the special effects are distractingly garish in their limb-ripping and bone-crunching, because the point isn't to do better than Hollywood (that would run counter to Verhoeven's obvious love of these cheap popular forms), but to do more of Hollywood, to push every element to its breaking point without caving to the lazy lure of ridicule. The result is a style that embraces a form as fully as possible only to turn it back against the content, and one of the greatest of all anti-imperialist films.

So, stiob, whatever the hell that is, sounds like a pretty good descriptor of the movie. I think there's a whole lot to like if the film is approached as a satire. If approached as a straight action movie, it's obviously pretty horrible, but again, that ignores what the movie is trying to do. I can definitely understand why someone would hate this movie.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am
Producer

I thought as much. It has been years since I've seen it. Possibly when it was first released on home video in the late 90s.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 am
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

It absolutely is. It's more a satire of propaganda films than anything else. I wouldn't call it a great film, but it's one I like a great deal (I own it). I think Slant Magazine said it best on their Best Movies of the 90s:

Slant wrote:
20. Starship Troopers. It seems fitting that it took stumbling upon an obscure Soviet-era concept for me to feel like I had the vocabulary to talk about Paul Verhoeven with any degree of accuracy. That concept is stiob, which I'll crudely define as a form of parody requiring such a degree of over-identification with the subject being parodied that it becomes impossible to tell where the love for that subject ends and the parody begins. And so there, in 32 words, is the Hollywood cinema of Paul Verhoeven. Starship Troopers then has to be a bad movie, insofar as that means that the acting is not dramatically convincing, the story is hopelessly contrived, the special effects are distractingly garish in their limb-ripping and bone-crunching, because the point isn't to do better than Hollywood (that would run counter to Verhoeven's obvious love of these cheap popular forms), but to do more of Hollywood, to push every element to its breaking point without caving to the lazy lure of ridicule. The result is a style that embraces a form as fully as possible only to turn it back against the content, and one of the greatest of all anti-imperialist films.

So, stiob, whatever the hell that is, sounds like a pretty good descriptor of the movie. I think there's a whole lot to like if the film is approached as a satire. If approached as a straight action movie, it's obviously pretty horrible, but again, that ignores what the movie is trying to do. I can definitely understand why someone would hate this movie.

I don't know about this Soviet concept of parody - they did parody in the USSR? - but I Think it is pretty obvious that "Starship Troopers" is a satire of militarism and militaristic propaganda as promoted by mainstream Hollywood action blockbusters and that Verhoven uses all the techniques of these blockbusters. I know a few people who didn't get the joke and considered it a "regular" sci-fi actioner - and they're all ignorants in so far as they can't recognise the militaristic propaganda in movies such as "Battleship", to name an obvious example. I think "Starship Troopers" is kind of brilliant, actually.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am
Critic

Unke wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Slant wrote:

I don't know about this Soviet concept of parody - they did parody in the USSR? - but I Think it is pretty obvious that "Starship Troopers" is a satire of militarism and militaristic propaganda as promoted by mainstream Hollywood action blockbusters and that Verhoven uses all the techniques of these blockbusters. I know a few people who didn't get the joke and considered it a "regular" sci-fi actioner - and they're all ignorants in so far as they can't recognise the militaristic propaganda in movies such as "Battleship", to name an obvious example. I think "Starship Troopers" is kind of brilliant, actually.

My problem is that Dr. Strangelove and Thank You For Smoking and In the Loop and good-great satires work because the actors know how to keep the film right on the edge of reality, where satire lives. Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards don't look like they have any idea they're in a satire, so why should be assume they are?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 pm
Producer

Slim Pickens had no idea he was in a satire. Just saying.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next