Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am

Life of Pi 
Cinematographer

Post Life of Pi
G'Day everyone,

Life of Pi opens on the 1st of January 2013 in Australia but I noticed that opens in USA this weekend. Is anyone looking forward to see it in 3D?

Ebert is raving about the use of 3D despise of not being a fan of this technique:

Quote:
This is the best use of 3-D I've ever seen," I say to Ang Lee. And I mean it. His "Life of Pi," based on Yann Martel's novel about a shipwrecked boy, is an astonishment, not least because it never uses 3-D for its effect, but instead as a framing device for the story as a whole

I have not read the novel nor seen the film but the shipwrecked boy has to share a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger ;-)

It has a very high score in Rotten Tomatoes so far too!

I can hardly wait to see this in 3D myself :-)

Cheers

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: Life of Pi
I've read the book and really enjoyed it. Though while I was reading I thought it would be really hard to adapt, but look like Ang Lee is up to the task.

That said, a PG rating? Not that the book is hard-hitting stuff (I'd even recommended it to some older kids), but it kind of portrays how life in that situation would be somewhat realistically.

Without going into much spoiler, let's just say that the last portion of the book is when I went from liking it a great deal to really loving and recommending it. From the reviews they seem to pull it off (And from the few rotten ones, the end is rightly up to personal preference if it's going to rub you the wrong way like the book too).

Also, that MSN Movies review blurb in rottentomatoes has some mild spoiler in case you want to avoid that.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm
Producer

I assume that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
since Irrfan Khan plays the adult Pi, that Pi doesn't get eaten by the tiger. At least not immediately.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:01 pm
Assistant Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
I assume that
[Reveal] Spoiler:
since Irrfan Khan plays the adult Pi, that Pi doesn't get eaten by the tiger. At least not immediately.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
He doesn't get eaten at all. Once they leave the boat, the metaphorical tiger takes off into the wilds of Mexico and Pi gets to tell of his adventure to skeptical officials.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:38 pm
Cinematographer

Life of Pi made $22M in the US weekend. No bad for an "art house" type of movie. Currently has a score 0f 8.4 in the IMDB with 6392 votes.

Have anyone seen in 3D? Does the 3D adds to the entertainment experience?

Cheers

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
unwindfilms wrote:
Life of Pi made $22M in the US weekend. No bad for an "art house" type of movie. Currently has a score 0f 8.4 in the IMDB with 6392 votes.

Have anyone seen in 3D? Does the 3D adds to the entertainment experience?

Cheers

Please check the topic: "last movie you watched". Your questions might be answered in the last posts.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:34 pm
Producer

I recommend the 3-D, for once. It's very well done, avoids the problems of other 3-D films (bad lighting, and vertigo-inducing tracking for example). Instead of throwing things at you, Lee uses it to add depth to images. He gets you used to it right away with the way he does the opening credits.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:34 pm
Cinematographer

Threeperf35 wrote:

Please check the topic: "last movie you watched". Your questions might be answered in the last posts.

Thanks! I just came back from there :-)

After some more research, it turned out that Life of Pi is a sort of art house movie with a production budget of $120M according this article so it has pretencious of becoming a blockbuster ;-) I can hardly wait to see it myself (in 3D of course) :mrgreen:

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Ebert's statement:

Quote:
Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" is a miraculous achievement of storytelling and a landmark of visual mastery.

Even if I believed this statement, which I don't, and in fact I don't believe that Ebert himself believes it. But even if it were true, and this movie really were a visionary feat, I wouldn't even care. I'm so tired of people trying to fight their jadedness by looking for the new Citizen Kane every other week. Personally, I'm not looking for Life of Pi to be good. I think it's been a very good year for movies already, and am in no mood to have another "visionary feat" shoved down my throat.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Even if I believed this statement, which I don't, and in fact I don't believe that Ebert himself believes it. But even if it were true, and this movie really were a visionary feat, I wouldn't even care. I'm so tired of people trying to fight their jadedness by looking for the new Citizen Kane every other week. Personally, I'm not looking for Life of Pi to be good. I think it's been a very good year for movies already, and am in no mood to have another "visionary feat" shoved down my throat.

Even if I believed you believed this statement (which I don't), I'd still point out to you that yes, we know: you don't want no damn innovation and you don't want no damn good movies!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:34 am
Director

I want real innovation, not something that's innovative because you tell me it's innovative or because Ebert tells me it's innovative. I also don't want a belligerant troll mocking me, and you're the only one on this forum who still does. But you know, I don't care to get into a debate about this. Life of Pi is a great movie, Ebert is a wonderful man, and the emperor's clothes look great.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 am
Second Unit Director

So who's actually seen Life of Pi? Or are we only fighting over Ebert's review?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I want real innovation, not something that's innovative because you tell me it's innovative or because Ebert tells me it's innovative. I also don't want a belligerant troll mocking me, and you're the only one on this forum who still does. But you know, I don't care to get into a debate about this. Life of Pi is a great movie, Ebert is a wonderful man, and the emperor's clothes look great.

I'm not responding to the troll accusation. You said that Ebert doesn't believe what he wrote and that everyone who loves Life of Pi is just trying to fight their jadedness. You childishly try to tell people what they're really thinking, and in doing so completely eliminate the possibility for non-trollish discussion. I'm not trolling, I just genuinely don't believe you're not just actively trying to create arguments and belittle people. And I hated Life of Pi, so it's not about that. I just want to see you attempt to have a real discussion. I didn't -- and have never -- tried to "tell" you what your opinions are or should be. You're the only one who does that around here.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm
Director

Quote:
I'm not responding to the troll accusation. You said that Ebert doesn't believe what he wrote and that everyone who loves Life of Pi is just trying to fight their jadedness. You childishly try to tell people what they're really thinking, and in doing so completely eliminate the possibility for non-trollish discussion. I'm not trolling, I just genuinely don't believe you're not just actively trying to create arguments and belittle people. And I hated Life of Pi, so it's not about that. I just want to see you attempt to have a real discussion. I didn't -- and have never -- tried to "tell" you what your opinions are or should be. You're the only one who does that around here.

But I don't simply guess things out of thin air. I'm not merely responding to Ebert's 4-star rating. Journalists, or any writers really, have to be responsible for their words and it's words I respond to with Ebert. A good critic describes a movie in ways that congeal in my head after I've seen a film. There has to be an "ah yes, I see what you mean" connection between reader and critic. That's why while I don't agree with JB's Dark Knight review, I have to admire the way he constructed it. I can see where some people might connect to the opening paragraph, which offers a very specific admiration for the film.

But when someone describes a film as a landmark of something, how can anyone have a genuine reaction to that? How many people have seen enough movies, and often enough, to authoritatively state that a film is a true landmark of visual mastery? I would argue, no one. Skyfall exhibits visual mastery, but it's no landmark. There have been other great Bond movies in the past. Why do there have to be landmarks? Why can't something simply be good for what it is? I've heard people use the phrase "good for what it is" in the negative sense, but in my opinion that's the only way that any movie can be good. Some very strong films of the past few months have made nice steps back in that direction. Ebert's review pissed me off because it seemed to me a step back in the direction of insanity. But I can see where others would feel differently, and I don't mean to dictate how others should feel about it.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm
Producer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
So who's actually seen Life of Pi? Or are we only fighting over Ebert's review?

I saw it in 3-D. It's a good movie, and I recommend seeing it that way.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
But when someone describes a film as a landmark of something, how can anyone have a genuine reaction to that? How many people have seen enough movies, and often enough, to authoritatively state that a film is a true landmark of visual mastery? I would argue, no one. Skyfall exhibits visual mastery, but it's no landmark. There have been other great Bond movies in the past. Why do there have to be landmarks? Why can't something simply be good for what it is? I've heard people use the phrase "good for what it is" in the negative sense, but in my opinion that's the only way that any movie can be good. Some very strong films of the past few months have made nice steps back in that direction. Ebert's review pissed me off because it seemed to me a step back in the direction of insanity. But I can see where others would feel differently, and I don't mean to dictate how others should feel about it.

It sounds like you're arguing against hyperbole more than anything. I haven't seen the movie, but my guess is you're right - it isn't a landmark film. My guess is also that most people who care about movies don't really think it is. Maybe Ebert does, or maybe he's speaking in hyperbole. Either way, I don't think it's a whole lot to get angry over. It isn't like he's the first or last critic to overstate the importance of a movie.

If your point is that Ebert is a bad critic, then ok. I'd much rather read you rip into the actual movie than rip into Ebert's (perceived) bad review of the movie. Movie criticism is more interesting than critic criticism.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am
Cinematographer

Glad to read that Life of Pi is becoming a box office hit

Box office so far: $303,838,000
Production cost: $120 Million

Opens here in Australia tomorrow so I finally get to see it (in 3D of course). I will let you know my opinion :)

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:13 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Ang Lee's 3D made me feel like I was drifting with the Tiger too, I even flinched once in the movie lol. Highly recommendable in the format :-)

The ending made me think and...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
search on the net, and I found this: "Life of Pi" Ending explained

Cheers

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Life of Pi got nominated by the 2013 Producers Guild Award 8-)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 am
Profile WWW
Director

Christopher Doyle Calls 'Life Of Pi' A "Fucking Insult To Cinematography"

Quote:
The usually opinionated and salty cinematographer Christopher Doyle recently sat down with Blouin and made his feelings quite clear on "Life Of Pi" and the work behind it. "Okay. I’m trying to work out how to say this most politely, and no offense to – I don’t know him personally – but what a total fucking piece of shit," he declared about Claudio Miranda's win for Best Cinematography. "Let me be blunt. Ah, fuck. I don’t care, I’m sure he’s a wonderful guy and I’m sure he cares so much, but since 97 per cent of the film is not under his control, what the fuck are you talking about cinematography, sorry. I’m sorry. I have to be blunt and I don’t care, you can write it. I think it’s a fucking insult to cinematography."

But his anger seems more to be at the voting body ("Do you know the average age of the people who vote? Sixty-five. Check it out.") and the idea of anyone outside the cinematographer working on the look of the movie. “Of course they have no fucking idea what cinematography is.The lunatics have taken over the asylum, but you know we have other asylums in other parts of the world and I live in one of them, and I intend to continue to be a lunatic," he (kind of) explained. "...The award is given to the technicians, to the producers, it’s not to the cinematographer. I think he should’ve actually, if it were me, I would’ve said fuck off. But of course it’s his career. Sorry. Personally, as you probably realised, I will say fuck off. If somebody manipulated my image that much, I wouldn’t even turn up. Because sorry, cinematography? Really?”

So, from his perspective, was it weird for "Life Of Pi" to win Best Cinematography? “No it’s not a strange choice if you understand how fucked up people are and how lost they are. You bail out your bankers, support your rich people, you say Spielberg and Tarantino are the gods of cinema. Hey, good luck.” Um, okay.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... e-20130314

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm