Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition" 
Site Admin

Post Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Click here to read topic.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Had fun reading it James and saved me to check some of the films featured there lol

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

How could you not like Bachelorette? It's one of my favorite comedies released in the past couple years and all the friends I went to see it with loved it as well. It's a very unique comedy with humor that can be appreciated by younger viewers and mature viewers. It also had a sweet side and some touching character moments.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am
Producer

Frogster wrote:
How could you not like Bachelorette? It's one of my favorite comedies released in the past couple years and all the friends I went to see it with loved it as well. It's a very unique comedy with humor that can be appreciated by younger viewers and mature viewers. It also had a sweet side and some touching character moments.

I agree, I thought it was a pretty good film as well, I wonder if JB was just in a really bad mood that day, and no we are not trolling JB, to prove it, here's a positive review from Dustin Putman, someone who you mentioned talking to quite a bit back in the day: http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/b/12_bachelorette.htm

I also thought Battleship, Ghost Rider, and Cold Light Of Day were pretty fun. Cosmopolis on the other hand looks it could very well be the worst film of the year, that film should convince critics once and for all that Robert Pattison cannot act worth a damn! PA4 looks like shit as well, but I thought the first film sucked major ass and the sequels only got worse, so I've got no desire to torture myself a fourth time.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:07 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm
Assistant Director

Is it safe to say that Nic Cage will appear on a Bottom 10 list every year until he retires?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 pm
Producer

ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.

Maybe he realized he was being too harsh on MIBIII.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. His review reads like the movie got what he felt it deserved.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 pm
Producer

ck100 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. His review reads like the movie got what he felt it deserved.

Well i'm surprised he put To Rome With Love over it in the list as he sounded more negative towards MIB then he did towards Rome.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:07 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:

It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Haven't seen any of the films on this list. The one I haven't seen but wanted to was Cosmopolis since I liked the book and am a fan of Cronenberg. Luckily getting it from Netlfix will reduce the pain if it turns out to be that bad.

The rest I have no intention of seeing and had no intention of seeing even before the list since instinct told me they were all unadulterated shit.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm

James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:

It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.

So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:56 pm

ck100 wrote:

So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).

One can get a decent sense of the likely list of Dishonorable Mentions by sorting the movies Mr. Berardinelli has reviewed by star rating. On the Searches page, one can Search by Year, pick 2012 (or any year one is interested in), and click on Star Rating (Descending). One can see the 2012 list grouped in that order (from best to worst) at http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchresu ... rchtype=14.

So Mr. Berardinelli could easily have made a Worst of 2012 list with 13 titles (one 0-star movie, four 1-star movies, and eight 1.5-star movies). He ended up selecting four of the eight 1.5-star movies to make his nine-title Turkeys list. If his Dishonorable Mentions list consisted of the other 1.5-star movies, it would include Lockout, Men in Black III, The Watch, and Hit & Run.

Incidentally, looking ahead to the end of the year, Mr. Berardinelli so far in 2012 has one 4-star film and thirteen 3.5-star films. So a Top Ten list would exclude at least four 3.5-star films and likely more as he reviews additional movies over the next month. Those four or more omitted 3.5-star films would be the most likely candidates for an Honorable Mentions list.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 am

sjlips wrote:
ck100 wrote:

One can get a decent sense of the likely list of Dishonorable Mentions by sorting the movies Mr. Berardinelli has reviewed by star rating. On the Searches page, one can Search by Year, pick 2012 (or any year one is interested in), and click on Star Rating (Descending). One can see the 2012 list grouped in that order (from best to worst) at http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchresu ... rchtype=14.

So Mr. Berardinelli could easily have made a Worst of 2012 list with 13 titles (one 0-star movie, four 1-star movies, and eight 1.5-star movies). He ended up selecting four of the eight 1.5-star movies to make his nine-title Turkeys list. If his Dishonorable Mentions list consisted of the other 1.5-star movies, it would include Lockout, Men in Black III, The Watch, and Hit & Run.

Incidentally, looking ahead to the end of the year, Mr. Berardinelli so far in 2012 has one 4-star film and thirteen 3.5-star films. So a Top Ten list would exclude at least four 3.5-star films and likely more as he reviews additional movies over the next month. Those four or more omitted 3.5-star films would be the most likely candidates for an Honorable Mentions list.

I'm predicting "The Hobbit" and "Django Unchained" will make the Top 10 list at the end of the year. Of course this is assuming both films live up to their respective hypes.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 am
Critic

sjlips wrote:
ck100 wrote:

Ewwww I forgot Looper got a **** review

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 am
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review

Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 am
Assistant Director

Shade2 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review

Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.

It'll be an interesting end to the year as far whether anything can unseat Looper. That is of course, assuming JB doesn't pronounce any upcoming movies "The Best Movie of 2012" in his review of said movie, defusing all tension.

BTW, I'm going to launch a pre-emptive strike here and say that Les Miserables will absolutely destroy the field come Oscar time. All the elements are in place for Titanic-level domination. Check back with me in three months if you doubt this.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 am
Gaffer

ck100 wrote:

I wish you would've used out of ten rating system, I know almost none of the critics does that but it was a better measurement for how much you think the quality of the movies are overall.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Master Virgo wrote:
ck100 wrote:

I wish you would've used out of ten rating system, I know almost none of the critics does that but it was a better measurement for how much you think the quality of the movies are overall.

He did in the early days...and he even divided into halves. Then it got too confusing and we have stars.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm
Gaffer

Darn straight it is about time for your Episode VII thoughts. I can't believe it took this long. :)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:06 pm