Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3061
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Click here to read topic.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Hobart Australia
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Had fun reading it James and saved me to check some of the films featured there lol

_________________
The pen is truly mightier than the sword
The Joker (Batman - 1989)


Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 31
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
How could you not like Bachelorette? It's one of my favorite comedies released in the past couple years and all the friends I went to see it with loved it as well. It's a very unique comedy with humor that can be appreciated by younger viewers and mature viewers. It also had a sweet side and some touching character moments.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2933
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Frogster wrote:
How could you not like Bachelorette? It's one of my favorite comedies released in the past couple years and all the friends I went to see it with loved it as well. It's a very unique comedy with humor that can be appreciated by younger viewers and mature viewers. It also had a sweet side and some touching character moments.

I agree, I thought it was a pretty good film as well, I wonder if JB was just in a really bad mood that day, and no we are not trolling JB, to prove it, here's a positive review from Dustin Putman, someone who you mentioned talking to quite a bit back in the day: http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/b/12_bachelorette.htm

I also thought Battleship, Ghost Rider, and Cold Light Of Day were pretty fun. Cosmopolis on the other hand looks it could very well be the worst film of the year, that film should convince critics once and for all that Robert Pattison cannot act worth a damn! PA4 looks like shit as well, but I thought the first film sucked major ass and the sequels only got worse, so I've got no desire to torture myself a fourth time.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:07 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 168
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 856
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Is it safe to say that Nic Cage will appear on a Bottom 10 list every year until he retires?

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2933
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.

Maybe he realized he was being too harsh on MIBIII.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:52 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 168
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.

Maybe he realized he was being too harsh on MIBIII.


I'm not sure about that. His review reads like the movie got what he felt it deserved.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2933
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
ck100 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.

Nice to see you're writing a Reelthoughts on Episode VII. You have plenty you can talk about like the rumors of the original cast making an appearance, Lawrence Kasdan coming back to write VIII and IX, directors who can possibly do the films justice, etc.

Maybe he realized he was being too harsh on MIBIII.


I'm not sure about that. His review reads like the movie got what he felt it deserved.

Well i'm surprised he put To Rome With Love over it in the list as he sounded more negative towards MIB then he did towards Rome.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3061
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.


It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.


Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1443
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Haven't seen any of the films on this list. The one I haven't seen but wanted to was Cosmopolis since I liked the book and am a fan of Cronenberg. Luckily getting it from Netlfix will reduce the pain if it turns out to be that bad.

The rest I have no intention of seeing and had no intention of seeing even before the list since instinct told me they were all unadulterated shit.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 168
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.


It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.


So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).


Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:56 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:57 am
Posts: 142
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
ck100 wrote:

So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).


One can get a decent sense of the likely list of Dishonorable Mentions by sorting the movies Mr. Berardinelli has reviewed by star rating. On the Searches page, one can Search by Year, pick 2012 (or any year one is interested in), and click on Star Rating (Descending). One can see the 2012 list grouped in that order (from best to worst) at http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchresu ... rchtype=14.

So Mr. Berardinelli could easily have made a Worst of 2012 list with 13 titles (one 0-star movie, four 1-star movies, and eight 1.5-star movies). He ended up selecting four of the eight 1.5-star movies to make his nine-title Turkeys list. If his Dishonorable Mentions list consisted of the other 1.5-star movies, it would include Lockout, Men in Black III, The Watch, and Hit & Run.

Incidentally, looking ahead to the end of the year, Mr. Berardinelli so far in 2012 has one 4-star film and thirteen 3.5-star films. So a Top Ten list would exclude at least four 3.5-star films and likely more as he reviews additional movies over the next month. Those four or more omitted 3.5-star films would be the most likely candidates for an Honorable Mentions list.


Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:53 am
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 168
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
sjlips wrote:
ck100 wrote:

So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).


One can get a decent sense of the likely list of Dishonorable Mentions by sorting the movies Mr. Berardinelli has reviewed by star rating. On the Searches page, one can Search by Year, pick 2012 (or any year one is interested in), and click on Star Rating (Descending). One can see the 2012 list grouped in that order (from best to worst) at http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchresu ... rchtype=14.

So Mr. Berardinelli could easily have made a Worst of 2012 list with 13 titles (one 0-star movie, four 1-star movies, and eight 1.5-star movies). He ended up selecting four of the eight 1.5-star movies to make his nine-title Turkeys list. If his Dishonorable Mentions list consisted of the other 1.5-star movies, it would include Lockout, Men in Black III, The Watch, and Hit & Run.

Incidentally, looking ahead to the end of the year, Mr. Berardinelli so far in 2012 has one 4-star film and thirteen 3.5-star films. So a Top Ten list would exclude at least four 3.5-star films and likely more as he reviews additional movies over the next month. Those four or more omitted 3.5-star films would be the most likely candidates for an Honorable Mentions list.


I'm predicting "The Hobbit" and "Django Unchained" will make the Top 10 list at the end of the year. Of course this is assuming both films live up to their respective hypes.


Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
sjlips wrote:
ck100 wrote:

So I guess you could consider "Men In Black III" to be a "dishonorable mention". I wouldn't mind seeing a list of some of the films that almost made the cut for the list (if any).


One can get a decent sense of the likely list of Dishonorable Mentions by sorting the movies Mr. Berardinelli has reviewed by star rating. On the Searches page, one can Search by Year, pick 2012 (or any year one is interested in), and click on Star Rating (Descending). One can see the 2012 list grouped in that order (from best to worst) at http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchresu ... rchtype=14.

So Mr. Berardinelli could easily have made a Worst of 2012 list with 13 titles (one 0-star movie, four 1-star movies, and eight 1.5-star movies). He ended up selecting four of the eight 1.5-star movies to make his nine-title Turkeys list. If his Dishonorable Mentions list consisted of the other 1.5-star movies, it would include Lockout, Men in Black III, The Watch, and Hit & Run.

Incidentally, looking ahead to the end of the year, Mr. Berardinelli so far in 2012 has one 4-star film and thirteen 3.5-star films. So a Top Ten list would exclude at least four 3.5-star films and likely more as he reviews additional movies over the next month. Those four or more omitted 3.5-star films would be the most likely candidates for an Honorable Mentions list.


Ewwww I forgot Looper got a **** review

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:52 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 340
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review


Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 am
Posts: 856
Location: Laurel, MD
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Shade2 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
www I forgot Looper got a **** review


Yeah. Can it possibly be usurped as #1?

Obviously The Hobbit is in James' wheelhouse. I feel like Zero Dark Thirty or Les Miserables would be the only other remote possibilities to get the 4-star nod. We'll see.


It'll be an interesting end to the year as far whether anything can unseat Looper. That is of course, assuming JB doesn't pronounce any upcoming movies "The Best Movie of 2012" in his review of said movie, defusing all tension.

BTW, I'm going to launch a pre-emptive strike here and say that Les Miserables will absolutely destroy the field come Oscar time. All the elements are in place for Titanic-level domination. Check back with me in three months if you doubt this.

_________________
https://www.facebook.com/ken.rossman.5


Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 am
Profile
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:06 am
Posts: 37
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.


It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.

I wish you would've used out of ten rating system, I know almost none of the critics does that but it was a better measurement for how much you think the quality of the movies are overall.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 376
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Master Virgo wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
ck100 wrote:
You could have thrown in "Men In Black III" for the bottom 10 since it got 1.5 stars, James.


It was originally on the list, making an even 10. Then I decided it wasn't quite in the same category as the other 1.5-star films on the list and "elevated" it. It's still a 1.5-star film but not all 1.5-star films are created equal.

I wish you would've used out of ten rating system, I know almost none of the critics does that but it was a better measurement for how much you think the quality of the movies are overall.


He did in the early days...and he even divided into halves. Then it got too confusing and we have stars.


Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 pm
Posts: 29
Post Re: Nov 24, 2012: "Rise of the Turkeys, 2012 Edition"
Darn straight it is about time for your Episode VII thoughts. I can't believe it took this long. :)


Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr