Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
Vexer wrote:
I didn't see hayden as "wooden" at all, so sorry, but you're never going to sway me to change my mind about the prequels.

As mentioned in a post above: I don't want to convince you that the prequels suck a big hairy one. I am just throwing in some of the reasons why I think they are extremely high on my suck-o-meter. Here's another reason: Geroge Lucas invented the non time based equivalent of machinegun editing and shaky camera syndrome: throw everything you can onto the screen and make it as cluttered as possible. Let those GCI rendering computers go up in smoke! I wonder why he didn't go to John Willams and asked: "How many musicians does the scoring orchestra have?" - "120 players" - "Can you triple that and include ethnic and medieval instruments?" - of course good ol' Johnny would have done it after calmly replying: "You got it!".
Please let me assure you: I am not making fun of you or your opinion to which you are 100% entitled. I love making fun of the SW prequels that's all.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:26 am
Assistant Director

Star Wars: Episode VII is a great news! I can hardly wait for 2015 to see this movie along with with The Avengers II and the first Justice League one. The Disney- Lucas deal is one where every body wins , George, the studio and the Star Wars fans. One director I like to suggest to direct is Duncan Jones as science fiction seems in his alley after Moon and Source Code. He definitely is in my directors favourite list and I just hope that down the track he gets interested in doing 3d movies :-)
Cheers

Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Duncan Jones would be a great choice. Him or Rian Johnson. One of these up-and-coming filmmakers who's doing crazy-awesome stuff in sci-fi.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm
Director

unwindfilms wrote:
The Disney- Lucas deal is one where every body wins , George, the studio and the Star Wars fans.

As long as they don't digitally put more clothing on Slave Leia or put bubbles coming out of Jabba's pipe. :? Let's not forget Disney is almost as notorious as Lucas for altering their past works -- and not for artistic reasons but for PC reasons, which is far worse, IMO. :|

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:16 pm
Producer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
As long as they don't digitally put more clothing on Slave Leia or put bubbles coming out of Jabba's pipe. :? Let's not forget Disney is almost as notorious as Lucas for altering their past works -- and not for artistic reasons but for PC reasons, which is far worse, IMO. :|

Worse to a point. All the great cartoon studios have something of a checkered past when dealing with certain issues, such as race. That stuff probably doesn't need to make it into the modern reissues.

Come to think of it, that might mean removing the Gungans from The Phantom Menace. Like Unwind said, win win!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Worse to a point. All the great cartoon studios have something of a checkered past when dealing with certain issues, such as race. That stuff probably doesn't need to make it into the modern reissues.

But at the same time, leaving them in the vaults is denying the world important historical film work. The disclaimers put on the Walt Disney Treasures and Looney Tunes box set have seemingly sufficed to keep controversy to a minimum. As noted, to take these un-PC images out would be like pretending humanity has always been as enlightened as we currently are. :|

Obviously, the censorship of the ethnic/racial stereotypes is always going to be the most sensitive... even though I'd say at least 80% of the ones I've seen would likely go over kids' heads these days. :| But the worse offenses Disney has made in terms of censorship are things like eliminating Goofy smoking a cigarette ('El Gaucho Goofy' from "Saludos Amigos"), completely removing all traces of sideboob on a girl getting out of the shower ('All the Cats Join In' from "Make Mine Music") and completely removing heavy gunplay (the entire 'The Martins and the Coys' also from "Make Mine Music"). And this whole censorship thing also comes into issue for them when you consider that the crows still remain in "Dumbo" and, while they removed the 'nappy-headed' black centaur from "Fantasia," they left the Chinese mushrooms and the breasted demons intact. :? If you're going to censor something, at least maintain some consistency in doing it. :P

Anyway, back to Star Wars. :oops:

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 pm
Assistant Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:
The Disney- Lucas deal is one where every body wins , George, the studio and the Star Wars fans.

Quote:
The situation also represents a quandary for future boxed sets, as 20th Century Fox retains rights to Star Wars in perpetuity, and the other five movies until 2020. There's still some money left for 20th Century Fox theatrically, however, as the studio's deal to release 3D versions of Episode II and Episode III in 2013
Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars/news/1926190/weekly_ketchup_disney_buys_lucasfilm_schedules_star_wars_episode_vii_for_2015/

I think that Disney-Lucas deal is more focused on the future than for the past as Fox is still the studio distributor for the box sets and even the 3D remakes. Star Wars fans should be happy as before this deal was very unlikely to be an episode VII and now we have a trilogy. I am personally looking forward to episode VII and then make my opinion with the facts on hand 8-)

Cheers

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Threeperf35 wrote:
Geroge Lucas invented the non time based equivalent of machinegun editing and shaky camera syndrome: throw everything you can onto the screen and make it as cluttered as possible.

This, I semi-disagree with, because I think George Lucas is somewhat sloppy and unskilled in the prequels, but I don't think he's doing it on purpose. I think it was his goal to have these movies look sumptuous and elegant, and much of the time he failed.

While modern-day directors often don't know anything about staging (which Lucas does in theory, even if he has trouble with it in practice), the syndrome you describe is intentional in itself. They are deliberately throwing away conventions of stable geographic compositions and continuity editing, partially to cover for the poor staging, but partially to add "realism" and "immediacy" and other straight-up bullshit that basically means they want* to confuse your eye as much as possible.

*I don't think Lucas wants to do this. I think he just wants to give you a lot of cool stuff to look at.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:11 pm
Director

there are reports that Matthew Vaughn is in talks to direct VII

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm
Cinematographer

calvero wrote:

I don't hate Vaughn at all, but I don't think he's right for Star Wars. His style of directing just doesn't seem to fit for me, as his films tend to focus far more on characters and dialogue. There isn't anything wrong with that, of course, but it's not a style suited to making an epic opera in space, IMO. I could be wrong and will be glad to be so, but I hope someone else is considered for the director's chair.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:
calvero wrote:

I don't hate Vaughn at all, but I don't think he's right for Star Wars. His style of directing just doesn't seem to fit for me, as his films tend to focus far more on characters and dialogue. There isn't anything wrong with that, of course, but it's not a style suited to making an epic opera in space, IMO. I could be wrong and will be glad to be so, but I hope someone else is considered for the director's chair.

I agree with you, but I wonder how much it matters when Irvin Kershner (known for absolutely nothing before or since) directed the best/second best one

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm
Producer

Quote:
I agree with you, but I wonder how much it matters when Irvin Kershner (known for absolutely nothing before or since) directed the best/second best one

Kershner was a great worker-director. Nowadays, everyone thinks he's an auteur and the egos bleed off the edges of their frames. Bond is a franchise which has always succeeded from the drive of ego-less worker directors, and this I believe is what occurred with Empire Strikes Back. I think a strong worker might be ideal for a new Star Wars, but in this day and age there just don't seem to be enough Kershners, Hamiltons, or even John Glens around to do the job.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 pm
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Kershner was a great worker-director. Nowadays, everyone thinks he's an auteur and the egos bleed off the edges of their frames. Bond is a franchise which has always succeeded from the drive of ego-less worker directors, and this I believe is what occurred with Empire Strikes Back. I think a strong worker might be ideal for a new Star Wars, but in this day and age there just don't seem to be enough Kershners, Hamiltons, or even John Glens around to do the job.

Interesting theory. Does Ron Howard count? Because I kinda think of him as a hack. Too much auteurism for me?

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
calvero wrote:

I think it matters now because I think it would require a really *great* film to get the Star Wars franchise back to the heights it reached in the public consciousness during the years of the Original Trilogy. No one is ever going to look back on the prequel films and say that they are highlights of pop culture in their time, never mind have the same impact that the OT films did. I really hope that Disney can somehow get Spielberg to helm the films, mainly because he is capable of making the epic films that don't leave out aspects like character development and dialogue. Barring that, J.J. Abrams and Joss Whedon would be the alternatives for me on a very short list of directors that I'd like to see tackling the new films.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Interesting theory. Does Ron Howard count? Because I kinda think of him as a hack. Too much auteurism for me?
Howard is a director with Lifetime Original Movie stylistic sensibilities who has occasionally had the benefit of good choices of material and fantastic actors.

I think I know the type of guy who MGamesCook is talking about. I'm thinking of Nicholas Meyer in particular, who stepped into Wrath of Khan--a troubled production at the time--and was able to take a ton of contradictory work that was done by several different teams and streamline it all into a cohesive, solid thesis for a movie. He's not the kind of director that will blow you away with his original use of the visual language of cinema, but he's a born storyteller with a strong sense of craftsmanship who can work as an effective liaison between the producers and the cast and crew.

Not saying that Meyer would be a good choice for Star Wars, although he certainly could be. I am saying that his is the type of director from whom these movies would benefit the most.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm
Producer

Quote:
I think I know the type of guy who MGamesCook is talking about. I'm thinking of Nicholas Meyer in particular, who stepped into Wrath of Khan--a troubled production at the time--and was able to take a ton of contradictory work that was done by several different teams and streamline it all into a cohesive, solid thesis for a movie. He's not the kind of director that will blow you away with his original use of the visual language of cinema, but he's a born storyteller with a strong sense of craftsmanship who can work as an effective liaison between the producers and the cast and crew.

Not saying that Meyer would be a good choice for Star Wars, although he certainly could be. I am saying that his is the type of director from whom these movies would benefit the most.

Yeah, I'd say this hits the nail on the head.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm
Cinematographer

Damn, it looks like Spielberg isn't going to be in the running to direct Episode VII.

Then again, he also said previously that he didn't want to do Indy IV. Perhaps George could convince him to try Star Wars- in fact, I would bet that Spielberg would be George's first choice to take the reins.

On the bright side, that story also mentioned that Zack Snyder and Quentin Tarantino also counted themselves out. In Snyder's case, I just don't think he'd give those films any substance, while I view Tarantino the same way I view Vaughn: a good director, but not the right one for Star Wars.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 pm
Producer

Word on the street is that the writer of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine is onboard for screenwriting duties and Disney is interested in a story with older versions of the original characters, reprised by the original actors.

I'd love to see Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker again. Harrison Ford as Han Solo, not so much.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
I'd love to see Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker again. Harrison Ford as Han Solo, not so much.

In an interview with Barbara Walters about 15 years ago, Ford was asked point blank if he ever wanted to play Han Solo again. He said he felt Han was too shallow of a character for him to want to revisit at that point in his life (though he said he'd play Indiana Jones again in a New York minute). Of course, people can always change their minds, but who knows?

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 pm
Gaffer

Ken wrote:
Word on the street is that the writer of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine is onboard for screenwriting duties and Disney is interested in a story with older versions of the original characters, reprised by the original actors.

It's OFFICIAL! he will write the screenplay... these are awesome news, actually
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96885

http://www.sebastianzavala.com/

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next