Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
I hope Lucas and Disney can stop thinking about money and merchandise for a second and remember they need to craft three good films here for VII, VIII and IX.

It's going to be difficult creating three films that don't feel like they're copying the original trilogy and not feeling like they're the prequels all over again. The last thing we need is for new "Star Wars" films to feel like toy commercials again.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:37 pm
Producer

I think that's entirely down to who they get to do the movies, and giving the necessary creative latitude to those people. The Star Wars universe has no shortage of stories to be told.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:15 pm
Second Unit Director

I've read close to 100 hundred Star Wars books, there is a lot written about the events after Return of the Jedi. A lot. I'm hoping they are faithful to those stories, if they are..I think a lot of good can come of it. If they try to create an entirely new story, I'll be unimpressed.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:26 pm
Producer

If they adapt anything from the expanded universe, selectivity would be extremely crucial. Some of those stories are pretty awful.

If they go with something new, I will go in with neutral expectations. If superhero comics have taught us anything, it's that an interesting enough universe can yield potentially infinite stories.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Gedmud wrote:
I've read close to 100 hundred Star Wars books, there is a lot written about the events after Return of the Jedi. A lot. I'm hoping they are faithful to those stories, if they are..I think a lot of good can come of it. If they try to create an entirely new story, I'll be unimpressed.

Be unimpressed then you close-minded person, you. Cause I can pretty much guarantee that the new movie will supersede anything that the EU has produced.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Whether the prequels are "lower quality" is a matter of opinion and not everyone feels the same way you do, personally i'll watch the prequels over Return Of The Jedi any day.

Yes, it's a matter of opinion as you said. However, I feel that opinions can be influenced by various factors, and watching the films as an impressionable young child is one of them. Years later, assuming that we do mature and gain more experience/knowledge, I fully expect that the tastes of most people would change, but those early years can still have an impact.

True, I enjoyed Return Of The Jedi a lot when I first saw it as a kid, but upon rewatching it several years later it didn't hold up as well, whereas I still enjoyed the prequels upon repeat viewings.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 pm
Second Unit Director

patrick wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

Be unimpressed then you close-minded person, you. Cause I can pretty much guarantee that the new movie will supersede anything that the EU has produced.

And I am right:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173435-the-new-star-wars-trilogy-will-an-original-story

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 pm
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

There is the fact that the cast of the original trilogy has aged obviously given that the last film is about 30 years old now. If the sequels are going to pick up directly from the end of RoTJ, then all of those roles would have to be recast with the possible exceptions of Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C-3PO. The question then becomes: who would everyone like to see cast in those roles?

Here are some possible casting choices for me for some of those roles:

Luke Skywalker - Garrett Hedlund, Topher Grace
Han Solo - Joshua Jackson, Clive Owen (might be too old), Aaron Eckhart
Princess Leia - Emma Stone, Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway
Lando Calrissian - Terrence Howard, Don Cheadle, Will Smith
Wedge Antilles - James McAvoy

Another possibility is that Episode VII would be at least one generation removed from the events of RoTJ. That option would give them the widest latitude in terms of casting and storytelling. We'll see, I guess.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:01 pm
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
patrick wrote:
Gedmud wrote:

And I am right:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173435-the-new-star-wars-trilogy-will-an-original-story

And it looks like they'll be avoiding the "direct sequel" option, which to me is the wiser choice given how long it's been since the OT was released.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Another possibility is that Episode VII would be at least one generation removed from the events of RoTJ. That option would give them the widest latitude in terms of casting and storytelling. We'll see, I guess.

Well, yeah. Lucas has always hinted that his story for Episodes VII-IX mostly revolves around Luke's and Han & Leia's kids, i.e. the next generation of Skywalkers.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Well, yeah. Lucas has always hinted that his story for Episodes VII-IX mostly revolves around Luke's and Han & Leia's kids, i.e. the next generation of Skywalkers.

Except that what Lucas says no longer matters now, despite his "creative consultant" status as part of the deal.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:06 pm
Auteur

Here's who i'd like to see in the cast:

Luke-Tobey Macguire, Andrew Garfield, Ryan Reynolds
Han Solo-Jason Statham, Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnan
Leia-Lindsay Lohan, Mila Kunis, Jessica Biel
Lando-Will Smith, Djimon Honsou, Denzel Washington, Isaiah Washington
Wedge-Jeremy Renner, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Except that what Lucas says no longer matters now, despite his "creative consultant" status as part of the deal.

But, in terms of the saga as a whole, it makes the most sense to carry on with the Skywalker lineage, no?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
[But, in terms of the saga as a whole, it makes the most sense to carry on with the Skywalker lineage, no?

Well, Disney announced today that the films will be based on an entirely original story, so it could well involve characters who have no familial ties to any of the OT cast at all.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm
Director

The first thing I though after reading the news strangely is that Disney is making up for a blotched space opera (John Carter) with another guaranteed successful one.

Also, the prequels get way, way too much hate. (Then again I'm so removed from the OT's time, culture, and place that nostalgia doesn't factor in)

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:
[But, in terms of the saga as a whole, it makes the most sense to carry on with the Skywalker lineage, no?

Well, Disney announced today that the films will be based on an entirely original story, so it could well involve characters who have no familial ties to any of the OT cast at all.

Well, seeing as they're still unproduced, Lucas' 'Sequel Trilogy' story is still technically 'entirely original' as well, no? :| It still makes little sense to me to make Episodes VII-IX without any direct ties to the first 6 installments. They might as well do away with the episode numbering altogether then. Besides, from what I gather, few people have real issues with Lucas' basic storylines for all the SW movies; it's more the way he executes them that's caused all the uproar from people like you. :ugeek:

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Besides, from what I gather, few people have real issues with Lucas' basic storylines for all the SW movies; it's more the way he executes them that's caused all the uproar from people like you. :ugeek:

This part almost makes it sound like you're giving Lucas credit for having at least a shred of creativity. No, the PT films have pretty much demonstrated that he has no real talent whatsoever aside from his business acumen.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 am
Assistant Director

William Shatner sings to George Lucas - My way :ugeek:

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Producer

While I'm a fan of casting unknowns in the old roles, and an even bigger fan of coming up with a new cast of characters altogether, playing the recasting game is mildly amusing.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Luke Skywalker - Garrett Hedlund, Topher Grace
Han Solo - Joshua Jackson, Clive Owen (might be too old), Aaron Eckhart
Princess Leia - Emma Stone, Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway
Lando Calrissian - Terrence Howard, Don Cheadle, Will Smith
Wedge Antilles - James McAvoy

Luke Skywalker - JGL all the way. Luke is a nothing character. His appeal depends a lot on Mark Hamill's personality, which is very down-to-earth and "one of us". I think JGL's got the same thing going on. It helps that he and Hamill are both closet nerds, which I think is pretty key.

Han Solo - RDJ. Why not? Aside from the fact that he's too big a star, but we're ignoring that here.

Princess Leia - Amy Adams. Again, this is about the core personality of the actors, because the characters are thinly sketched archetypes.

Lando - Terence Howard for Episode VII, Don Cheadle for Episode VIII. Hiyo!

Wedge Antilles - This will call my geek cred into question, but does this really matter? Wedge didn't even become important until the EU stuff. McAvoy looks the part, so he's a good choice.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
This would be my preference. Do it TNG-style and let the old stories be.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
This part almost makes it sound like you're giving Lucas credit for having at least a shred of creativity. No, the PT films have pretty much demonstrated that he has no real talent whatsoever aside from his business acumen.

I was reading a thingy by Matt Zoller Seitz recently that perfectly elucidated where his talents lie, at least circa 1999-2005. He thinks magnificently on both the global scale (i.e. big conceptual ideas, structural stuff, etc.) and the really fine-tuned scale (i.e. visual details and assorted other filigree), but it's the middle-ground stuff--the practical matter of staging scenes, directing actors, etc.--that he either doesn't know much or doesn't care much about.

It is incorrect to say that he has no creative talent, but he does have a weird imbalance: an abundance of imagination that sets him apart from everybody else, combined with deficiencies in skills that most directors have polished up once they've reached journeyman status.

It is widely known that he did some ghost-directing on Empire and Jedi, so I'm betting that he played to his strengths and allowed his nominal directors to handle those workman-level things that he just isn't very good at. Irvin Kirshner's expertise centered around staging and acting, so it's unsurprising that theirs was the most successful partnership.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 am
Director

peng wrote:
Also, the prequels get way, way too much hate. (Then again I'm so removed from the OT's time, culture, and place that nostalgia doesn't factor in)

Consider yourself lucky to not have all that baggage. :|

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next