Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.) 
Producer

Post Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=69442

The highlights:

* Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, Ltd for $4B. This includes all companies, technologies, and franchises.
* Star Wars: Episode VII is planned for 2015, with VIII and IX planned for intervals of one to three years after.
* George Lucas is attached to the film as a creative consultant.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Star Wars: Episode VII. (Not speculation. And not kidding.)
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, wonder who will be directing the film though.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm
Producer

I haven't the faintest, but I will say this: Disney does have Joss Whedon under contract.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything... but it might.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:12 pm
Second Unit Director

At least now there should be re-releases of the of UNCUT original trilogy.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 pm
Critic

I was just racing to Reelviews to post this. Crazy shit. There'll be sequels from now until forever. Thanks, Lucas?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:49 pm
Second Unit Director

So....does this mean the prequels are magically considered good now?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:08 pm
Producer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
At least now there should be re-releases of the of UNCUT original trilogy.

Nicer ones, at any rate.

JamesKunz wrote:
I was just racing to Reelviews to post this. Crazy shit. There'll be sequels from now until forever. Thanks, Lucas?

I still see it working out in the usual cycles of three, whether they really want it to or not.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=69442

The highlights:

* Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, Ltd for $4B. This includes all companies, technologies, and franchises.
* Star Wars: Episode VII is planned for 2015, with VIII and IX planned for intervals of one to three years after.
* George Lucas is attached to the film as a creative consultant.

This is utterly crazy news. Many of us (myself included) hoped that the reins of the Star Wars franchise would be taken out of Lucas' hands moving forward, and now that dream has come to pass.

Seriously, I have yet to fully absorb this, and then there's the sobering thought that Disney could fuck things up even more than Lucas did. However, it's still reason for optimism, and I'm willing to bet that Star Wars fanboys will be partying in the streets.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 pm
Cinematographer

patrick wrote:
So....does this mean the prequels are magically considered good now?

No, but it now means that we may be able to wash the bad taste they left behind when the sequel films come out. Also, given the 2015 release date for the first of the sequel series, the potential is there for an entire generation of people to grow up with GOOD SW films again.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 pm
Director

Soo... is Lucas essentially quitting the industry or what? :?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:31 pm
Cinematographer

H.I. McDonough wrote:

He said as much earlier this year in the wake of criticism he was enduring for Red Tails. It's long overdue as far as I'm concerned.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:32 pm
Director

I don't know what to think about this. I'm glad Lucas is done with Star Wars, but I would like to see him try to make another small film like American Graffiti again. I guess it's unlikely.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm
Critic

Ragnarok73 wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

He said as much earlier this year in the wake of criticism he was enduring for Red Tails. It's long overdue as far as I'm concerned.

The man made one great movie, the original Star Wars. He played a role in the creation of another, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and to a lesser degree The Empire Strikes Back. Other than that, it's been a mixed bag. He's sure going to retire a rich man though.

Last edited by JamesKunz on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meant Empire, not Jedi

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
The man made one great movie, the original Star Wars. He played a role in the creation of another, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and to a lesser degree The Return of the Jedi. Other than that, it's been a mixed bag. He's sure going to retire a rich man though.

Lucas didn't make the original Star Wars by himself, and Empire was a better film IMO. The prequels showed what happens when Lucas works without "interference" from other people in terms of creative decision-making. As for the money: well, it's not like he needed it, as he's already a billionaire; it's just more to dump on the pile, I guess.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Director

Quote:
The criticism grated on Lucas, who vowed never to make another "Star Wars" movie during an interview with The New York Times earlier this year.

"Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" Lucas told the Times.

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the division's president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. She will serve as executive producer for the new movies.

In a video posted on YouTube, Lucas said the decision to continue with the saga wasn't inconsistent with past statements.

"I always said I wasn't going to do any more and that's true, because I'm not going to do any more, but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to turn it over to Kathy to do more," Lucas said.

He said he has given Kennedy his story lines and other ideas, "and I have complete confidence that she's going to take them and make great movies."

Kennedy added that she and Lucas had discussed ideas with a couple of writers about the future movies and said Lucas would continue to have a key advisory role. "My Yoda has to be there," she said.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=771595

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
The man made one great movie, the original Star Wars.
THX-1138 is a great movie for much different reasons. American Graffiti, almost.

At this point, the door is wide open for him to return to smaller movies, a la Francis Ford Coppola, but I don't think he can do it. He's too far removed from the influences and instincts of his younger self.

Not that I wouldn't love to be proven wrong.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 pm
Auteur

Personally I will never understand the hatred towards the prequels, and you can't force kids to like the original trilogy moreso then the prequels, they like what they like, that's all there is to it.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 pm
Producer

I am now opening the floor up to nominations for the new Star Wars movie filmmaking dream team.

I nominate Spielberg as director. He was supposed to do Return of the Jedi, but couldn't due to union problems. Now that Star Wars is under new management, this should no longer be a problem.

And with Spielberg in the director's chair, the rest of the team should fall into place, given that Spielberg tends to work with the same people from film to film.

And especially, lawd almighty, John Williams drawing up all the little black dots and standing on the conductor's podium.

In fact, one of the biggest mistakes they could make is not immediately firming up a longterm contract with Williams. If any one person has consistently been the soul of Star Wars, it's him.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:42 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I am now opening the floor up to nominations for the new Star Wars movie filmmaking dream team.

I nominate Spielberg as director. He was supposed to do Return of the Jedi, but couldn't due to union problems. Now that Star Wars is under new management, this should no longer be a problem.

And with Spielberg in the director's chair, the rest of the team should fall into place, given that Spielberg tends to work with the same people from film to film.

And especially, lawd almighty, John Williams drawing up all the little black dots and standing on the conductor's podium.

In fact, one of the biggest mistakes they could make is not immediately firming up a longterm contract with Williams. If any one person has consistently been the soul of Star Wars, it's him.

It would be interesting to see Spielberg bring Star Wars back from the doldrums that his good friend Lucas put it into, though I'm wondering how that would affect their relationship.

Realistically, I don't think it will happen, though.

People that I would consider for the film-making decisions for the new films:

Producer - J.J. Abrams, Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Gary Kurtz, Michael Bay
Director - Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams, Spielberg
Writers - Joss Whedon, Roberto Orci, J.J. Abrams, Gary Kurtz, Alex Kurtzman

I included Bay on the list for producers because he is capable of ensuring that enough money is spent on the visual effects, but I wouldn't let him near the director's chair or screenwriting process.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ken wrote:

It would be interesting to see Spielberg bring Star Wars back from the doldrums that his good friend Lucas put it into, though I'm wondering how that would affect their relationship.

Realistically, I don't think it will happen, though.

People that I would consider for the film-making decisions for the new films:

Producer - J.J. Abrams, Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Gary Kurtz, Michael Bay
Director - Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams, Spielberg
Writers - Joss Whedon, Roberto Orci, J.J. Abrams, Gary Kurtz, Alex Kurtzman

I included Bay on the list for producers because he is capable of ensuring that enough money is spent on the visual effects, but I wouldn't let him near the director's chair or screenwriting process.

How many of these folks are associated with Disney (or subsidiaries)? I mean...isn't Spielberg usually associated with Paramount (not that they have an exclusive lock or anything).

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next