Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

DREDD 
Post Re: DREDD
I'm just saying it's common sense not to take young kids to violent films, you'd actually be better off taking them to sex comedies, cause it's not like they'll be able to get the sex joks or understand the concept of sex, so it won't give them nightmares like seeing someone getting tortured probably will.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:20 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I'm just saying it's common sense not to take young kids to violent films, you'd actually be better off taking them to sex comedies, cause it's not like they'll be able to get the sex joks or understand the concept of sex, so it won't give them nightmares like seeing someone getting tortured probably will.

Kids understand all kinds of stuff that we think goes over their heads. They also don't experience something like Finding Nemo as just some sweet, silly trifle. So, although we think that because the message is good (it is) and that the movie is gentle (it is), things like a little boy fish getting separated from his dad can feel pretty scary for a kid. And, yeah, parents are there to explain how it's all make believe but the fact remains that the emotions resonate with the kid (and with us, otherwise the movie wouldn't work) and that it doesn't really matter if it's "just a movie".

Law Abiding Citizen didn't give my oldest nightmares (she hasn't yet seen it because I'm saving that viewing for her sixth birthday when I plan to teach here about the admissibility of DNA in a court of law) but she was pretty freaked out by one episode of Spongebob Squarepants. She won't watch any episodes with the Flying Dutchman now.

Anyway, it's not some black-and-white thing like "sex is better than violence cause sex is more nuanced than violence" or "kids won't understand sexual innuendo cause they're just kids". It's a trickier thing that requires forethought and actually knowing your kids. Some parents don't want to know their kids.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 am
Wow, I was looking at the box office totals for the last weekend and saw that Dredd was totally smoked. It looks like a sequel is not very likely unless the total earnings suddenly spikes upward.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:33 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Wow! I just looked at the box office numbers for this weekend and I am stunned.

"Dredd is on track for less than $20 million through its entire run." -boxofficemojo

How is this possible? I saw Dredd this weekend and I really enjoyed it. The production values are high, the action is good, it has a reasonably-compelling story, and it has quality acting. Have other people seen it and hated it? Is the violence scaring people off (I have trouble believing that). I just don't understand why this movie is tanking.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 pm
Director

Machiara wrote:

"Dredd is on track for less than $20 million through its entire run." -boxofficemojo

How is this possible? I saw Dredd this weekend and I really enjoyed it. The production values are high, the action is good, it has a reasonably-compelling story, and it has quality acting. Have other people seen it and hated it? Is the violence scaring people off (I have trouble believing that). I just don't understand why this movie is tanking.

Perhaps it hasn't been promoted as well as it should have been. Perhaps too many people harbor negative memories of the Stallone shitfest.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Machiara wrote:

Perhaps it hasn't been promoted as well as it should have been. Perhaps too many people harbor negative memories of the Stallone shitfest.

That's what most analysts have said, however the film was pretty succesful in the U.K. as it opened at #1 and stayed there for a few weeks, I think the poor domestic performance could be because the comic just isn't as popular or well-known in the U.S. Opening on the same weekend as End Of Watch(which audiences found more appealing overall then Dredd according to analysts) didn't help either.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:00 am
Assistant Director

End of Watch only cost $7 mil to make?!

Dredd won't likely be considered a bomb, just a disappointment. A lot of culty movies could tell you the same story. The previews made it look like a generic b-grade actioner which it was apparently very much not.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Dredd won't likely be considered a bomb, just a disappointment.

It is a bomb when you make 6 mil on 2700 screens and your budget is 50mil. The interesting thing is that the Stallone's version from 17 years ago made 12.5 mil on it opening weekend without the 3D prices that Dredd 3D had going on.

The film was only number one in Britain for a week and then fell to 5th and 9th in consecutive weeks with a fairly steep drop in returns from each week.

This is a very good movie so trying to find a reason for it's failure is tough. My guess is that it got John Carterized. There is next to no brand recognition for Judge Dredd like the Avengers and if people do remember it they will think of the flop from 1995. There are no big stars that people recognize and will be a draw. There was a non existent advertising campaign,zero hype in the entertainment mags and tv shows unlike Hunger Games and I didn't see one trailer for it in any multiplex. I think the studio just dumped the movie out there and didn't have big hopes for it. It may explain why there were no 2D screening but there maybe a lot people who didn't want to pay a premium price($16) for a comparatively low budget movie.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
Dredd won't likely be considered a bomb, just a disappointment.

It is a bomb when you make 6 mil on 2700 screens and your budget is 50mil. The interesting thing is that the Stallone's version from 17 years ago made 12.5 mil on it opening weekend without the 3D prices that Dredd 3D had going on.

The film was only number one in Britain for a week and then fell to 5th and 9th in consecutive weeks with a fairly steep drop in returns from each week.

This is a very good movie so trying to find a reason for it's failure is tough. My guess is that it got John Carterized. There is next to no brand recognition for Judge Dredd like the Avengers and if people do remember it they will think of the flop from 1995. There are no big stars that people recognize and will be a draw. There was a non existent advertising campaign,zero hype in the entertainment mags and tv shows unlike Hunger Games and I didn't see one trailer for it in any multiplex. I think the studio just dumped the movie out there and didn't have big hopes for it. It may explain why there were no 2D screening but there maybe a lot people who didn't want to pay a premium price($16) for a comparatively low budget movie.

Funny, my local Cineplex promoted the crap out of Dredd(I must've seen the trailer at least four times in the theaters, now i've got that "we can fight your desire" song stuck in my head), so they certainly weren't holding back on advertising, and they
re actually were 2-D screenings(at least in my area), but not very many of them, maybe people are just getting sick of 3-D films? Also, there just isn't as much brand recognition for the comic in the U.S.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm
I just came back from seeing this (it just opened here Thursday), and I have to say it's one of the best films I've seen all year. Certainly better than Dark knight Rises, which I liked. It's very nice to see the return of the R-rated action film.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm
Second Unit Director

This is a good, hard R-rated action movie that action fans should try to seek in the theater, while it's still playing. One quibble with James' review, though:

Quote:
And, once Dredd runs out of ammo, the level of tension escalates remarkably.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dredd only runs out of ammo for one scene, which is a tense showdown. He picks up magazines from the Judge that Thirlby kills and is good to go after that.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:17 pm

It may not be playing much longer, because (for reasons which continue to elude me) the movie has totally tanked at the box office. Less than $13 million so far, I think.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:46 pm
Assistant Director

Machiara wrote:
It may not be playing much longer, because (for reasons which continue to elude me) the movie has totally tanked at the box office. Less than $13 million so far, I think.

It boils down to the frustrating reason of people just not wanting to see it. I don't blame them: I don't want to see Dredd, either. Personal preferences aside, The Formula is mysterious in that it doesn't work all of the time.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:23 am
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
Machiara wrote:

It boils down to the frustrating reason of people just not wanting to see it. I don't blame them: I don't want to see Dredd, either. Personal preferences aside, The Formula is mysterious in that it doesn't work all of the time.

I think the 3D aspect had a lot to do with it, unlike most 3-D films, there were very few 2-D showings at most theaters(and some had none whatsoever) so most people that wanted to see this film had to bite the bullet and shell out an extra 2 bucks just so they could see it, I thought the 3-D was OK(though honestly I was more impressed by the 3-D in Resident Evil Retribution), but I could've lived without it just fine and I really don't think the film needed it at all. I think if Dredd was made without 3-D, it would've made more money.

Plus it wasn't exactly released at the best time, End Of Watch captured most of the R-rated crowd so there wasn't much left over for Dredd. Also, Dredd is simply not as big of a name in the comics world like he is in the U.K., the majority of people here only know of him through the Stallone film, and most didn't like that film(though I found it to be one of Sly's more underrated films and didn't mind the creative liberties with the source material) so they didn't want to take a chance on another Dredd film, and lastly, having no real big name actors like the other films released that weekend didn't give it much attention, Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headly aren't well known enough to attract as much attention as Clint Eastwood or Jack Gyllenhall. I also heard there wasn't much promotion for the film in some areas(though my local theater showed the trailer several times)

I'm dissapointed the film failed too, but unfortunately it never really had much of a chance, for the most part, R-rated comic-book adaptions just aren't big moneymakers, Sin City and 300 being the only exceptions, Kick Ass didn't earn a lot but did make back it's budget several times over.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 am
Assistant Director

I saw Dredd 3D this weekend as it just started in Australia. A solid 3 stars for me 8-) ! I do not have the figures for Australia but so far worldwide this move is tanking big time
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm with a production cost of $50M it out of the question so far a sequel and I would have liked to see more of the Anderson character along with Dredd :(
Has this movie being or will be shown in China? in IMDB there is not release for China
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/releaseinfo
I know Chinese love 3D movies ;)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:
I saw Dredd 3D this weekend as it just started in Australia. A solid 3 stars for me 8-) ! I do not have the figures for Australia but so far worldwide this move is tanking big time
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm with a production cost of $50M it out of the question so far a sequel and I would have liked to see more of the Anderson character along with Dredd :(
Has this movie being or will be shown in China? in IMDB there is not release for China

Hopefully, the Australian box office totals will bring up the totals for this film so that it's not seen as a complete disaster by the studio. That could then open the door for a sequel to be made.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
unwindfilms wrote:

Hopefully, the Australian box office totals will bring up the totals for this film so that it's not seen as a complete disaster by the studio. That could then open the door for a sequel to be made.

Dredd 3D was number 4 this weekend in Australia behind Argo,Paranormal activity 4 and Taken 2 and collected only 0.8M
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/box_office.php?rank_id=0&country=au
I think the only life saver country for this movie is China but apparently is not going :shock: and it is too bad because I'd love a sequel myself 8-)

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Well, in a nice surprise, Dredd has become the highest selling home video release of the year so far. In 2 weeks after release, 650,000 units have been sold on Blu Ray and DVD. Guess it's finally found an audience.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 pm
Cinematographer

Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Well, in a nice surprise, Dredd has become the highest selling home video release of the year so far. In 2 weeks after release, 650,000 units have been sold on Blu Ray and DVD. Guess it's finally found an audience.

Unfortunately, I doubt that's enough to convince the studio to think about a sequel. I guess this film is looking more like a cult favorite. Oh well.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:

Unfortunately, I doubt that's enough to convince the studio to think about a sequel. I guess this film is looking more like a cult favorite. Oh well.

Which is too bad, because I really enjoyed this movie. Glad it's doing well on DVD though.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 pm