Battle of the Studs: Joseph Gordon-Levitt vs. Ryan Gosling 
Critic

Post Battle of the Studs: Joseph Gordon-Levitt vs. Ryan Gosling
All things considered, who do you prefer? Suggested by Wisey

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:32 am
Director

Post Re: Battle of the Studs: Joseph Gordon-Levitt vs. Ryan Gosling
Levitt.

The only thing I've seen that I like Gosling in was "Half Nelson". I recently watched "Drive" and all I can think about is that stupid jacket and that stupid toothpick in his mouth, fawning over Carey Mulligan and me not giving two shits the whole time.

JGL on the other hand is pretty good in anything he's in. Not a rom-com fan by any means (or a fan of Zooey Deschanel), but I actually enjoyed 500 Days of Summer. He had a lot to do with it.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:34 pm
Auteur

I'd go with JGL, i've enjoyed him in almost everything, (500 Days was the only film of his I didn't really like, but that wasn't JGL's fault, his character just wasn't very well-written)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:25 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I really like them both so this was a tough call for me but in the end, I would have to give the edge to Gordon-Levitt who has done more than enough to make me forgive him for one of his early "performances" in Angels In The Outfield. I wonder if anyone else besides me even remembers that he was in that film.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

oafolay wrote:
I really like them both so this was a tough call for me but in the end, I would have to give the edge to Gordon-Levitt who has done more than enough to make me forgive him for one of his early "performances" in Angels In The Outfield. I wonder if anyone else besides me even remembers that he was in that film.

I liked that film was when I was a kid, but I didn't realize it was him in the film until later on, I also remember him being in Holy Matrimony

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:40 pm
Producer

oafolay wrote:

He was a kid. The director was obviously not the next Orson Welles. You can't blame him for any perceived deficiencies in his performance. From what I remember, he was the least of that movie's problems.

I give the edge to Gosling based on his daring choices in roles and pulling off every single one of them, but give it a few years and I might change my mind.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:19 pm
Cinematographer

I like both guys, but I went with Gosling. I don't have anything insightful to say, I just think he's a better actor.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 am
Second Unit Director

Gosling is a better actor, but almost every movie JGL has touched has been gold. Please don't point out all of his films that weren't good. "but ALMOST every movie..."

That being said, +1 for Gosling.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm
Assistant Director

Gosling. They're both okay and they have both appeared in some great movies. Neither has talent that amazes me though they both have given at least one great performance (Blue Valentine for one, Mysterious Skin for the other). They choose roles well though it's kind of arbitrary. James McAvoy is better than both -- too late for a write-in?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:08 am
Critic

Mark III wrote:
Gosling. They're both okay and they have both appeared in some great movies. Neither has talent that amazes me though they both have given at least one great performance (Blue Valentine for one, Mysterious Skin for the other). They choose roles well though it's kind of arbitrary. James McAvoy is better than both -- too late for a write-in?

Immediate disqualification for Wanted

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 am
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Mark III wrote:

What's wrong with that film?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Mark III wrote:

What's wrong with that film?

The fact that it's a movie that features men talking seriously about commands from the "loom of fate?"

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm
Auteur

Eh, for me the nuttiness of the film ws part of the fun, hard for me to hate any film which features aguy using exploding rats and shooting through a corpses brain.

If there's any film i'd disqualify McAvoy for, it's Starter For 10

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
The fact that it's a movie that features men talking seriously about commands from the "loom of fate?"

That's actually a lovely batshit crazy idea. I might have liked the movie more if it had lived up to this singular bit of batshittery.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 am
Producer

A year and a half ago I might have voted for Gosling. But after 50/50 and The Dark Knight Rises I'm definitely going JGL. I'm really starting to love that guy. He was also great in (500) Days of Summer, Inception and The Lookout. Yeah, he rocks. So does Gosling, but JGL more so IMO.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 am