Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post Re: What are you reading?
I'm reading Watchmen. I guess that's a fairly large statement about myself: whenever I read, the book has pictures in it.

East of Eden's my favorite book, though, so don't be hatin' too much.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:42 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
I'm reading Watchmen. I guess that's a fairly large statement about myself: whenever I read, the book has pictures in it.

I just finished Watchmen for the first time. Like it so far? I couldn't decide... then I got to the end and I decided that it annoyed me. The ending will make you angry, and then you will talk to a die-hard fan who will explain it so that it makes sense, but you will still be like, "Um... no... this is stupid...".

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:51 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I just finished Watchmen for the first time. Like it so far? I couldn't decide... then I got to the end and I decided that it annoyed me. The ending will make you angry, and then you will talk to a die-hard fan who will explain it so that it makes sense, but you will still be like, "Um... no... this is stupid...".

As a story it's infuriating and made me dismiss this as overrated but as an experience it's much better. There's loads of little things that are easy to miss that connect in the future that makes it cool.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 am
Well, I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time, specifically the first book. Tolkien sure writes wordy prologues.

Erik

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 am
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Well, I'm reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time, specifically the first book. Tolkien sure writes wordy prologues.

Erik

god i wish i could do that. reading it for the first time. i dont even remember it, actually. i was, 12 i think. now, after much repetition...i envy you.

Patrick wrote:
As a story it's infuriating and made me dismiss this as overrated but as an experience it's much better. There's loads of little things that are easy to miss that connect in the future that makes it cool.

i thought the story was excellent. adding the pirate comic was genius. made you read fast through it.
especially loved the way it ended. loved where all the characters ended up.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 am
This is from a Watchmen discussion on /. It's verbatim, because I couldn't explain it better myself:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
by ral8158 (947954) on Friday March 06, @06:25PM (#27098729)

The entire book is built off of the brain monster: it is a reference to Starro, the alien starfish that is the first villain the Justice League fights together, and symbolically it represents how Ozymandias's plan is to force the world to band together.

It's also the final and most important element of novel, which is the deconstruction of the superhero genre. The octopus punctuates that deconstruction and really says something clear about super heroes: The monster-of-the-week has appeared, and this time there is no last minute batman plan or newly developed superman power that can stop it. All of the heroes are gone. None of the heroes ever were heroes. Not to mention that Ozymandias, the real villain, has shown himself to be as much a part of the game as the others despite his claims to the contrary. His ends-justify-the-means attitude is just as arrogant as the other Watchmen's.

Understanding the octupus is really, really, important in terms of the book's literary value.

darthyoshi wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm
Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, and The Best Democracy Money Can Buy is in the mail.

All the recent economic crisis bollocks has given me a case of the Politics again. :(

Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I've got problems with its writing. It's one of the better ideas on display comic book from the twentieth century, but the dialogue and structure are occasionally awkward. Plus, I don't give two shits about the newspaper vendor. I'm sorry, but Watchmen is one-hundred percent filmable.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm
I am currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce. In high school I studied ancient Greek (which was an honors opt instead of taking Latin) for a year and a lot of time was spent reading/translating the Odyssey by Homer, and there are a lot of parallels between the two. Most of my friends gave up trying to read Ulysses but it hasn't been much of a challenge for me, although I do hope the story progresses a bit before i reach 100 of the 600 + pages.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I am currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce. In high school I studied ancient Greek (which was an honors opt instead of taking Latin) for a year and a lot of time was spent reading/translating the Odyssey by Homer, and there are a lot of parallels between the two. Most of my friends gave up trying to read Ulysses but it hasn't been much of a challenge for me, although I do hope the story progresses a bit before i reach 100 of the 600 + pages.

You are the first person on this planet who has ever put those words in that order in reference to Ulysses. By the time the famed "Oxen of the Sun" parallell showed up I was 100% sure that I understood maybe 80% of what Joyce was up to. It's been ten years since I've gone through the book and, despite a classroom of students talking endlessly about it and finding parallels with Homer, I still have a dream about taking an essay test on it after forgetting to read it for an entire semester. That book haunts me and I've never gotten more than 3 pages into Finnegans Wake without breaking into sweat, biting some nails, and putting the book down for another couple of years.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm
Umm first post! Gday from aussie land!.

Finished reading "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson a couple weeks back. Excellent read. One that lingers. If you are a CREATION'ist or such, I doubt this book is your cup of tea.

Currently reading for the 2nd time in 2 weeks "The I Chong" by Tommy Chong. Champion effort there mate.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:03 pm
I just picked up some stories about Classic Rock and Dracula...now I am a man! I read real books!

Lousy Francis Ford Coppola

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:42 pm
I'm rereading some Lovecraft. Better than I remembered.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:48 pm
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell :ugeek:

Last edited by Moovy1 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:20 am
Moovy1 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(book)

The bracket is missing from the url's end:

mailedbypostman wrote:

Recommend anything specific? I just wrapped The Rats in the Wall. Great short story.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:09 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

The bracket is missing from the url's end:

mailedbypostman wrote:

Recommend anything specific? I just wrapped The Rats in the Wall. Great short story.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...I edited it and it keeps doing the same thing?

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm
Moovy1 wrote:

same thing happens to me. any url with a bracket in it...transforms into text. odd.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:53 pm
aameen wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

same thing happens to me. any url with a bracket in it...transforms into text. odd.

Maybe it's The Langoliers :o

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:02 pm
Waiting for the Barbarians by J. M. Coetzee. There isn't a thing this man writes that isn't incredible. Apparently Philip Glass has written an opera around it. Weird.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:06 am
Cinematographer

Timmy Shoes wrote:

Haven't read Ulysses yet, but having just read Dubliners, I wouldn't expect the plot to advance much... at all... And 500 pages in, you will realize that you totally missed some underlying theme that makes the whole thing make sense, but you still don't get it, and then you want to shoot Joyce in the face, but he's already dead, so you shoot yourself instead. Not a challenge. Ha.

I am reading The Brothers Karamazov, so I don't know how much easier that is...

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:10 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next