Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 am

The Best Movie About... 2: Writers and Writing 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Best Movie About... 2: Writers and Writing
PeachyPete wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
I think Misery is one of Stephen King's best adaptations. Give it a chance.

And Stand By Me works as a movie about writing, because the main character gives very specific insight into his early writing career (with the Barf-o-rama scene, which was hilarious). Dreyfus shows up at the intro/ending as the successful writer reminiscing/documenting his past. A very personal work of King's, and right up there with Misery among his better movie adaptations. Personally, I like Stand By Me better than Shawshank.

I'm with you on Stand By Me. It's great. I thought of it yesterday to put in here, but didn't know if it counted. The man who enjoys Duff Beer has convinced me.

I also say give Misery a chance. Shawshank and The Green Mile too, if you're a complete King virgin, but I imagine you've seen those. Other than those, his adaptations are fairly weak.

Don't forget Dolores Claiborne. One of my favorite SK adaptations.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:34 am
Second Unit Director

My personal favorite would be The Hours. Ed Harris' character gives a little speech about wanting to write about "it all" that I could relate to, as well as the way mental illness fuels Woolf creative impulses.

Stranger Than Fiction and Adaptation are up there for me, but The Hours stands head and shoulders above them.
-Jeremy

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I'm bumping this bitch after having recently seen Seven Psychopaths. That movie deserves mention. Also, holy shit! This thread is over 3 fucking years old!

Another addition that I rewatched recently - Reservoir Dogs. Everything about that movie boils down to storytelling. From Tarantino's intentionally nonlinear narrative that never bothers to show the actual heist to Tim Roth's superb telling of a made up story about cops, dogs, a bathroom, and a little weed to the opening dialogue about Madonna's "Like a Virgin", everyone's favorite cool movie is more about the details necessary to tell a good story than it is about anything else. A good storyteller can make virtually anything interesting. That's what I think Tarantino is after with his debut.

I've seen Reservoir Dogs a few times and with each viewing my estimation is weakened. Theoretically, the dialogue is wonderful and snaps but it sounds like it's carefully rehearsed dialog spewed by talented actors. Almost like Mamet's hollow dialogue, the beats sounding nothing like the way real people talk.

This is something I've mentioned before: Mamet's characters sounding like aliens attempting to sound human, well-studied in the tempo of stage plays. Reservoir Dogs is the same, Tarantino's ode to the creative process with a nauseating ear-severing scene. I've learned to really dislike the film.

I can appreciate he point about the film working as a breakdown of storytelling. A lot of films like Rashomon and Reservoir Dogs and so on do this. It's not really about writers, though. Not the cool ones I was talking about in the ancient post that started this thread.

Neat thread idea would be a thread on movies that make great use of unreliable narrators.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm bumping this bitch after having recently seen Seven Psychopaths. That movie deserves mention. Also, holy shit! This thread is over 3 fucking years old!

Another addition that I rewatched recently - Reservoir Dogs. Everything about that movie boils down to storytelling. From Tarantino's intentionally nonlinear narrative that never bothers to show the actual heist to Tim Roth's superb telling of a made up story about cops, dogs, a bathroom, and a little weed to the opening dialogue about Madonna's "Like a Virgin", everyone's favorite cool movie is more about the details necessary to tell a good story than it is about anything else. A good storyteller can make virtually anything interesting. That's what I think Tarantino is after with his debut.

I've seen Reservoir Dogs a few times and with each viewing my estimation is weakened. Theoretically, the dialogue is wonderful and snaps but it sounds like it's carefully rehearsed dialog spewed by talented actors. Almost like Mamet's hollow dialogue, the beats sounding nothing like the way real people talk.

This is something I've mentioned before: Mamet's characters sounding like aliens attempting to sound human, well-studied in the tempo of stage plays. Reservoir Dogs is the same, Tarantino's ode to the creative process with a nauseating ear-severing scene. I've learned to really dislike the film.

I can appreciate he point about the film working as a breakdown of storytelling. A lot of films like Rashomon and Reservoir Dogs and so on do this. It's not really about writers, though. Not the cool ones I was talking about in the ancient post that started this thread.

Neat thread idea would be a thread on movies that make great use of unreliable narrators.
I like Reservoir Dogs, but I do find it overrated and I agree on the dialogue, for me it's not so much that it dosen't sound like how real people talk(which you could say about pretty much any movie), it's that Tarantino is trying too hard to sound clever with all the pop-culture references and whatnot and it achieves the opposite effect.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
I've seen Reservoir Dogs a few times and with each viewing my estimation is weakened. Theoretically, the dialogue is wonderful and snaps but it sounds like it's carefully rehearsed dialog spewed by talented actors. Almost like Mamet's hollow dialogue, [b]the beats sounding nothing like the way real people talk. [/b]
Reservoir Dogs is the same, Tarantino's ode to the creative process with a nauseating ear-severing scene. I've learned to really dislike the film.

So you’re critical on Reservoir Dogs because the dialogue seems carefully rehearsed and it's not the way real people talk? Fuck that's harsh. Mr. Pink's reasoning as to why he doesn't tip may not be that realistic, but it's so fucking cool. That's what Tarantino strives for in most of his films, cool dialogue executed well.

Another excellent film about writer's and writing is Ruby Sparks. It's been the best year for films since the 90's IMO, and Ruby Sparks is an absolute gem.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:43 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:

I don't disagree with this point at all. I think almost all of Tarantino's movies have the same sort of thing going on with his dialogue. That said, I also don't think his movies are set in anything resembling the real world.The kinds of characters he populates his films with aren't of the real world, either. Most of his movies, on some level, are commentaries on movies themselves and I think he sets his stories in that movie world (for lack of a better term). I've never gotten the vibe that he's trying to write realistic characters.

[quote=Mark III"]I can appreciate he point about the film working as a breakdown of storytelling. A lot of films like Rashomon and Reservoir Dogs and so on do this. It's not really about writers, though. Not the cool ones I was talking about in the ancient post that started this thread.[/quote]

Fair enough. It's definitely a movie more about storytelling in general, not specifically writing.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Assistant Director

I have no problem with Tarantino's dialogue and will happily agree to his films taking place in a wonderful parallel universe like our own. My problem is only with Reservoir Dogs and only then with the stagey way Tarantino directed so much of the dialog dialogue's delivery.

You can totally tell everyone is acting, in other words. Even the dialogue in Pulp Fiction, the stuff of great movies, has a naturalistic feel. Reservoir Dogs is like a radio play adapted for the stage and then adapted for film. It's not always false and weird but, when it is, it's really false and weird.

He later perfected his skills at writing and directing his weirdo dialogue. His debut feature is like really good Mamet. Which usually makes for mediocre cinema.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm