Chris Ware's Building Stories

Another look: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/boo ... le4591752/

Attachment:
bst.jpg
bst.jpg [ 23.21 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]

Attachment:
a_560x0-1.jpg
a_560x0-1.jpg [ 52.96 KiB | Viewed 769 times ]

Packaging a book has never been quite so ambitious.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:44 am
Producer

Post Re: Graphic Novels
Excellent packaging and general inner sadness are Chris Ware in a nutshell.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:00 am
Assistant Director

A few of the heavies (Grant Morrison, Alan Moore) aren't all too keen on Ware, either. Still, I'm interested in having a look at Building Stories and will find a way. Blankets was great drawings with marginal storytelling (at least for 60% of the epic) so more of the same won't kill me.

You read Marvel 1602? Everyone loves Gaiman. I've heard it's disappointing. Your take?

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:21 am
Producer

I'm pretty out of touch. I think the last thing from Marvel I read was a little bit of Civil War just to see what the hullabaloo was about... and before that some random issue of Spider-Man from 1998 or thereabouts.

The big guns working on the big established properties sounds like a great idea, but in practice they're almost always straight-jacketed by people much less creative or imaginative than themselves. A bunch of guys, including Grant Morrison, just evacuated from DC for essentially this reason.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:42 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:

You read Marvel 1602? Everyone loves Gaiman. I've heard it's disappointing. Your take?

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to. No time to write more now...

I just got the first volume of the Annotated Sandman for my birthday. Wow.

The only drawback is that it's so big, it's hard to read on the toilet.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm
Assistant Director

MunichMan wrote:
Mark III wrote:

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I wanted to. No time to write more now...

I just got the first volume of the Annotated Sandman for my birthday. Wow.

The only drawback is that it's so big, it's hard to read on the toilet.

Interesting cover art for that volume:
Attachment:
618SuEaLaxL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
618SuEaLaxL__SL500_AA300_.jpg [ 26.51 KiB | Viewed 695 times ]

Oh my, O'Keeffe.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:26 am
Gaffer

I can't be the only one who finds this cover art yonic.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 pm
Producer

I think that's what Mark was getting at with his O'Keeffe remark.

Anyway, at least it's one of David McKean's less creepy works, depending on how you feel about vaginas.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
A few of the heavies (Grant Morrison, Alan Moore) aren't all too keen on Ware, either. Still, I'm interested in having a look at Building Stories and will find a way. Blankets was great drawings with marginal storytelling (at least for 60% of the epic) so more of the same won't kill me.

I've only read Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth and a few random strips of Ware’s other work here and there, but he’s a very different beast to Thompson. He deficiently loves to experiment with panel layouts and packaging, but he doesn’t have the sort of outlandish expressive art style that Thompson has; he keeps the colours flat, loves to show everything from a simple isometric or orthographic perspective and creates characters with a very simple but distinctive designs. And he loves, loves to focus on seemingly banal details. I think his work is much more difficult to get into than Thomson’s.

Personally I liked Jimmy Corrigan and found it really fascinating, but I fucking struggled to get through it at times. It’s not just that it’s depressing and dark (especially in the humour) but the mundaneness of it all makes it really difficult. Pretty much every major character is trapped in their own little world, either from outside forces or their own depression, and he rarely gives you the hope that things might get better for them.

And that’s not to say that I won’t be buying Building Stories; I just think I’d need some kind of happiness chaser. Something to return me to normal after each read so I don’t end up staring at the ceiling for hours.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:09 am