Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:16 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Obama v Romney 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Obama v Romney
Did anyone watch the latest installment?

What did you make of it?

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Obama v Romney
1. I did not watch it. Instead, I ate eggs, toast, and hash browns and watched reruns of The Office. (Or, to NotHughGrant, The Office: An American Workplace.)

2. Barack Obama reminds me of Dave Chappelle's impression of a white guy and Mitt Romney reminds me of the mayor from Jaws.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Attachment:
Baritt.jpg
Baritt.jpg [ 21.72 KiB | Viewed 2306 times ]


I read the transcript. No, that's not entirely true. I read parts of the transcript and decided, for the fifth or sixth time in my life, that people who decide on whom they're voting based on the information presented at a debate are threats to democracy.

Americans are very good at not knowing what they want (Bush v. Gore) and here we are, 12 years on, in the same place. This time the candidates more or less Kang and Kodos so throw your hat where ye may. I typically vote Kang but, either way, we're doomed. Doomed!

More: I typically vote closest to my actual beliefs and have, thus far, always voted democrat. Living in California means I can basically stay home and play with my kids while the state goes blue on Nov 6th. I'll vote Obama in support of my congressional choices despite my misgivings about the man. And general frustration over politics in general.

Didn't really respond to NotHG's post but it's late and I'm shakey with an early-morn wakeup.

“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Kurt Vonnegut

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Ken wrote:
1. I did not watch it. Instead, I ate eggs, toast, and hash browns and watched reruns of The Office. (Or, to NotHughGrant, The Office: An American Workplace.)

2. Barack Obama reminds me of Dave Chappelle's impression of a white guy and Mitt Romney reminds me of the mayor from Jaws.


I'm still confused on how vegetarians allow themselves eggs. Unless you consider chickens a vegetable. I know I do. Especially the ones I send into comas with my merciless fists. That sounded like a masturbation reference. And it was. I'm going to try to sleep now.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:26 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Obama v Romney
An egg is not a chicken.

And considering that egg-laying hens are kept separate from roosters, the egg was never going to be a chicken.

And if you don't understand why that is, let Johnny Larue know so he can tell you about the birds and the bees. As a new dad, I'm sure he would appreciate the practice.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Obama v Romney
I only ask because I haven't yet caught the sequel.

I watched the "highlights" of the first and I thought it was cunning of Team Romney to spike Obama with a pound of valium beforehand.

Anyway, reports here say Obama on top after finishing Romney with the SharpShooter.

* Mark, I may steal that picture!

** Ken, The Office: An American Workplace is actually better than I expected.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4027
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Obama v Romney
I watched it and I was really impressed with Obama, in the first debate he was criticized for being "too polite" he definitely put to rest those fears with his aggressiv performance, he undercut Romney at every turn to expose his BS lies. I especially loved when he said "Governor Romney dosen't have a 5 point plan, he has a one point plan, to make sure the rich stay on top" So true! I laugh and roll my eyes when people say they're voting for Romney because he cares about getting people jobs, his 47% comment(which Obama addressed at the very end) should tell you exactly how much the man cares about keeping people employed.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 446
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Whole lotta lies and intentional misleading statements from both men. As has been said, a debate should play very little role in an intelligent person's opinion.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Posts: 568
Location: The Desert
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Political Kombat '12:

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/pol ... ghts_.html

_________________
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Letterboxd Profile


Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 272
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Mark III wrote:
Attachment:
Baritt.jpg


I read the transcript. No, that's not entirely true. I read parts of the transcript and decided, for the fifth or sixth time in my life, that people who decide on whom they're voting based on the information presented at a debate are threats to democracy.

Americans are very good at not knowing what they want (Bush v. Gore) and here we are, 12 years on, in the same place. This time the candidates more or less Kang and Kodos so throw your hat where ye may. I typically vote Kang but, either way, we're doomed. Doomed!

More: I typically vote closest to my actual beliefs and have, thus far, always voted democrat. Living in California means I can basically stay home and play with my kids while the state goes blue on Nov 6th. I'll vote Obama in support of my congressional choices despite my misgivings about the man. And general frustration over politics in general.

Didn't really respond to NotHG's post but it's late and I'm shakey with an early-morn wakeup.

“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Kurt Vonnegut


I'd put it better but I couldn't.

_________________
Never take a forum signature too seriously, even this one.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm
Posts: 737
Post Re: Obama v Romney
I haven't watched either debate and don't plan to watch the next one because, as others have alluded to, debates are for idiots. Or, for people who approach politics like a sporting event and like to "root" for their candidate. I'd argue that there's idiocy in that approach, but I can't quite bring myself to call those folks idiots because I've seen a number of intelligent people I respect do exactly that.

Mark III wrote:
Living in California means I can basically stay home and play with my kids while the state goes blue on Nov 6th.


You can replace "California" with Maryland, and "kids" with "penis", and you'll have my exact situation. My political views are fairly moderate, but it doesn't really matter where I live. I'm not sure how it breaks down in CA, but here, 19 or 20 of the state's 24 counties (well, 23 and the city of Baltimore) will vote Republican and be offset by the 2 counties and city of Baltimore that vote Democrat. Of course, those 3 districts account for close to 50% of the state's population and they usually vote with about an 80/20 break down in favor of Dems.

Interesting fact about me: I've voted in the last 3 presidential elections and have yet to vote for a winner.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Ken wrote:
condescending post


Only wondering where the line gets drawn with animals, animal products, animal proteins (not that you can't find variations of albumin in vegetables) and such. No need to define 'vegan'. Apologies for making you suffer a fool.

PeachyPete wrote:
I haven't watched either debate and don't plan to watch the next one because, as others have alluded to, debates are for idiots. Or, for people who approach politics like a sporting event and like to "root" for their candidate. I'd argue that there's idiocy in that approach, but I can't quite bring myself to call those folks idiots because I've seen a number of intelligent people I respect do exactly that.

Mark III wrote:
Living in California means I can basically stay home and play with my kids while the state goes blue on Nov 6th.


You can replace "California" with Maryland, and "kids" with "penis", and you'll have my exact situation. My political views are fairly moderate, but it doesn't really matter where I live. I'm not sure how it breaks down in CA, but here, 19 or 20 of the state's 24 counties (well, 23 and the city of Baltimore) will vote Republican and be offset by the 2 counties and city of Baltimore that vote Democrat. Of course, those 3 districts account for close to 50% of the state's population and they usually vote with about an 80/20 break down in favor of Dems.

Interesting fact about me: I've voted in the last 3 presidential elections and have yet to vote for a winner.


California politcs are all over the map (Berkeley isn't the shining symbol as some may think... although, after Prop 8...) but they tend toward MOR leftism. It's not a sure thing given the many counties, demographic spread and the general indecisiveness of our voters. If you're looking for public education to endure trauma, come to California. Want a measles outbreak? Cali! It's not perfect here. Ask ram1312 or one of his 987,344,555 students in that one class.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:49 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Obama v Romney
I have no enthusiasm for this election at all. Zero. If I get out and vote, alright, but if I don't I don't consider it a great loss. Nothing really changes regardless of who is in office.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4027
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I have no enthusiasm for this election at all. Zero. If I get out and vote, alright, but if I don't I don't consider it a great loss. Nothing really changes regardless of who is in office.

Whatever you say man.


Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 pm
Profile
Assistant Second Unit Director

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 am
Posts: 167
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Currently on Romney's nightstand...


Attachments:
Mormon playboy.jpg
Mormon playboy.jpg [ 54.88 KiB | Viewed 2173 times ]
Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:40 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Obama v Romney
PeachyPete wrote:
Interesting fact about me: I've voted in the last 3 presidential elections and have yet to vote for a winner.
I've voted in the last two and achieved the same results. Granted, I voted for someone who had no realistic chance of winning in 2008, but 2004 was the vote I regretted, because I convinced myself that I had to vote for someone with a realistic chance of winning.

Mark III wrote:
Only wondering where the line gets drawn with animals, animal products, animal proteins (not that you can't find variations of albumin in vegetables) and such. No need to define 'vegan'. Apologies for making you suffer a fool.

Stop trying to shame me, you vagrant. I swear to fucking god I will mail you my feces.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Obama v Romney
"I blame Simon Cowell" could be the t-shirt that sums up these events. It's hard not to think of the X-Factor when watching these bland-as-you-like suits spewing their soundbites at the populous.

A couple of years ago I remember reading about William Gladstone, a liberal MP and 4 times Prime Minister in the 19th Century.

Anyhugh, "Billy" was a hands-on kind of guy and when the sheer number of prostitutes in London eventually reached the the 4-per square foot level he took it upon himself to personally, over a period of months, speak to hundreds or perhaps even thousands of them offering to help them get back on track and find more suitable employment.

Assuming he had no sexual motives for this, you have to admire the sheer scale of his personal intervention. Could you imagine Obama, or Cameron, or Romney having the balls to do the same now? Of course not, they are all obsessed with scapping for the inch of political leeway the modern world will allow them. Politics is dead, which is why we have such nasty debates on emotive but ultimately fringe issues such as abortion, with both sides striving to prove their drooling stupidity with logical fallacies, non-sequiturs and arguments from extremities.

After seeing "The X-Factor goes to Washington: Part Deux"; I was reminded of a quote from that great philosopher and statesman, Ralph Wiggum. "My cat's breath smells of cat food".

The circus moves on.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:30 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Obama v Romney
Ken wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Interesting fact about me: I've voted in the last 3 presidential elections and have yet to vote for a winner.
I've voted in the last two and achieved the same results. Granted, I voted for someone who had no realistic chance of winning in 2008, but 2004 was the vote I regretted, because I convinced myself that I had to vote for someone with a realistic chance of winning.

Mark III wrote:
Only wondering where the line gets drawn with animals, animal products, animal proteins (not that you can't find variations of albumin in vegetables) and such. No need to define 'vegan'. Apologies for making you suffer a fool.

Stop trying to shame me, you vagrant. I swear to fucking god I will mail you my feces.


Alright, alright. I'm done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B05INM57xO8

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: Obama v Romney
And while I'm at it, I apologize for my general douchebaggery of late-ish. Sorry to Ken and calvero. I've been a jackass.

I blame the insomnia. Or work stress. Or my dwindling attention span brought on by hours of surfing the Internet. Also I'm also worried about the finances and shit. Enough.

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Obama v Romney
I was under the impression you were a Lawyer, Mark.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:05 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr