Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Cinematographer

Post Re: Game of Thrones
The casting for Season 3 has really intrigued me so far, starting with Cieran Hinds playing Mance Rayder. I'm a big fan of Hinds after his roles in Rome and Munich, and he adds more luster to an already-good series. Then there is the casting of Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell- the only other actress that I might have had in competition with her would be Judy Dench. This upcoming season is looking to be another good one (hopefully great).

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:15 pm
Director

I purposefully didn't read anything past the season 1 discussion in this thread to ask GOT fans something. I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings about halfway through. After I'd finished the first book and a few chapters of the second one, I watched its Season 1 adaptation, and found it to be a great way to jog my memory and help me remember some important aspects and characters (For example, I didn't pay attention much to Theon when reading the first one, but since he got his own chapters in Book 2, the series helped me remember how he featured in the story). I'm gonna do the same after I finished Book 2. But I've heard that the end of Season 2 covered a bit of the beginning of Book 3, so I want to ask if that's true how many pages (or chapters) the end of the season covers Book 3's beginning. And are the parts that it covers having any serious spoiler (important events)? What are your recommendation: reading Book 3 past the point that Season 2 covers first or it's ok to watch through the end of the season before beginning the third book?

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:28 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
I purposefully didn't read anything past the season 1 discussion in this thread to ask GOT fans something. I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings about halfway through. After I'd finished the first book and a few chapters of the second one, I watched its Season 1 adaptation, and found it to be a great way to jog my memory and help me remember some important aspects and characters (For example, I didn't pay attention much to Theon when reading the first one, but since he got his own chapters in Book 2, the series helped me remember how he featured in the story). I'm gonna do the same after I finished Book 2. But I've heard that the end of Season 2 covered a bit of the beginning of Book 3, so I want to ask if that's true how many pages (or chapters) the end of the season covers Book 3's beginning. And are the parts that it covers having any serious spoiler (important events)? What are your recommendation: reading Book 3 past the point that Season 2 covers first or it's ok to watch through the end of the season before beginning the third book?

I'd say you're fine to watch Season 2 before starting on A Storm of Swords, as the events from that book that were covered in the series are not major ones by any means.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:04 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Longer episodes! Wheee!

Every episode will be a little bit longer this upcoming season, amounting to about one whole extra episode. Personally, I would rather they jacked it up to 13 or 14 episodes, but we take what we can get, right?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game- ... -season-3/

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am
Second Unit Director

MunichMan wrote:
Longer episodes! Wheee!

Every episode will be a little bit longer this upcoming season, amounting to about one whole extra episode. Personally, I would rather they jacked it up to 13 or 14 episodes, but we take what we can get, right?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game- ... -season-3/

Yay!! Looser editing!!

In all seriousness, that's what? An extra 6 minutes per episode? Oh well, I'm sure the creators will find ways to make the most of it.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 am
Cinematographer

So the new season launched tonight with the episode "Valar Dohaeris" ("All men must serve." - a phrase used as the customary reply to "Valar morghulis." ["All men must die."]). It's a good thing that the producers added the extra minutes to each episode, because it seemed to go by like a flash. There definitely were changes made from the books, but they were done well; examples include:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Ser Barristan Selmy's identity was revealed right away after he saved Daenerys from the manticore, and this happened in Astapor rather than in Qarth.
- Harrenhal taken by Robb directly rather than by Roose Bolton.

About the only thing I noticed missing was Arya as she started her journey after escaping from Harrenhal, but that will likely come in the next episode. All in all, it was a great way to start the season, and few people can complain that things weren't happening fast enough after watching it.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:21 am
Director

This season is of to a great start. For the first time, the opening episode of the season wasn't bewildering for me, which is a good thing. Seasons 1 and 2 both took me 3-4 episodes before I figured out who was who (I haven't read any of the books). I read somewhere they were introducing 16 new characters for Season 3, but I didn't see any sign of that here. The pacing of this show really is something else. I could not believe an hour had already passed.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
So the new season launched tonight with the episode "Valar Dohaeris" ("All men must serve." - a phrase used as the customary reply to "Valar morghulis." ["All men must die."]). It's a good thing that the producers added the extra minutes to each episode, because it seemed to go by like a flash. There definitely were changes made from the books, but they were done well; examples include:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Ser Barristan Selmy's identity was revealed right away after he saved Daenerys from the manticore, and this happened in Astapor rather than in Qarth.
- Harrenhal taken by Robb directly rather than by Roose Bolton.

About the only thing I noticed missing was Arya as she started her journey after escaping from Harrenhal, but that will likely come in the next episode. All in all, it was a great way to start the season, and few people can complain that things weren't happening fast enough after watching it.

I haven't read book 3 yet (trying to read the books after each season), but I have heard a lot of people get pissed off for the following:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Apparently, there was supposed to be a huge battle with the whitewalkers (that the beginning of the episode showed the aftermath of) that Martin described in great detail. That would have been awesome to actually witness on screen.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I haven't read book 3 yet (trying to read the books after each season), but I have heard a lot of people get pissed off for the following:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Apparently, there was supposed to be a huge battle with the whitewalkers (that the beginning of the episode showed the aftermath of) that Martin described in great detail. That would have been awesome to actually witness on screen.

I agree that it would have been nice to see, but I also understand how budget constraints would have kept the producers from considering its inclusion. They didn't do a bad job of showing the aftermath at least.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm
Director

Second episode was a bit dull imo. Good to see Arya though. They introduced quite a few new characters, (e.g. The Brotherhood, the Tyrell's - the rest escape me already). No dragons :( . Hopefully next weeks episode will have a bit more meat.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 pm
Cinematographer

nitrium wrote:
Second episode was a bit dull imo. Good to see Arya though. They introduced quite a few new characters, (e.g. The Brotherhood, the Tyrell's - the rest escape me already). No dragons :( . Hopefully next weeks episode will have a bit more meat.

There was a bit more in the way of action with the following scenes:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Jaime and Brienne fighting before being captured by Bolton's hunters (no Brave Companions in this series, I guess).
- Theon beginning his tenure of torture with Ramsay Bolton (who won't be named or cast until next season at earliest, I imagine).

But yeah, things continued to be slow otherwise, mainly because these first 2 episodes are setting up what's going to be happening later in the season (lots of exposition). The following have been set up so far in these 2 episodes:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The battle at Castle Black and The Wall between the NW and the wildling army.
- The murder of Joffrey by Olenna Tyrell.
- The Red Wedding.
- The attacks on Astapor and Meereen by Daenerys once she gets her army built.

It's starting off a bit slow, but believe me, there will be plenty of action before the season ends.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm
Director

Quote:
It's starting off a bit slow, but believe me, there will be plenty of action before the season ends.

I have zero fears on that front. This is a show that has consistently delivered the most compelling viewing experience on television. And don't get me wrong, even the dull episodes of GoT are dull only when compared to other episodes of GoT. It's still the best thing going.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 am
Cinematographer

So, saw the 3rd episode tonight and liked it, in particular the following scenes:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Podrick's reward from Tyrion and his interrogation by Tyrion/Bronn afterward.
- The start of Jaime's character change (re: having his hand cut off). Nikolaj Coster-Waldau will now be given the chance to show his acting chops as Jaime undergoes his arc of redemption.
- The return of the Night's Watch survivors to Craster's Keep and the set-up to what is going to happen in the next episode.

More exposition, particularly with Daenerys' scenes with the Astapor masters, but things are only going to accelerate from here in terms of action. I really like the way that Bronn's character in particular has been developed so far in the series. He's a bloodthirsty amoral killer, but damned if he doesn't have a sense of dark humor as portrayed by Jerome Flynn.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:48 am
Second Unit Director

Was the guy who rescued Theon Ramsay Bolton?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Right before he shot the guy in the head, he called him a "bastard." Others have said in other message boards that Ramsay is just messing with Theon, and that he is really a sick dude who is about to torture him more.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:22 pm
Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is correct.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The dude that rescues Theon is the same dude that kills his attackers at the end, which is this guy: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Iwan_Rheon.
Lots of rumors suggest he is Ramsay, even though he is currently listed as playing "Boy".

Episode 3 was great imo, with a wonderful shock ending.
This guide helped me immeasurably with getting my head around all the new characters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmTBjE2kgg

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:13 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Right before he shot the guy in the head, he called him a "bastard." Others have said in other message boards that Ramsay is just messing with Theon, and that he is really a sick dude who is about to torture him more.

I would have to agree with this theory given what I've read in the books. It really would provide Theon the excuse to go down the path that his character has in the books, as anyone who's read up to and including A Dance With Dragons can attest to.

Oh, and I can't wait for when:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Dany has the Unsullied wipe out the Masters. In the books, she revealed her ability to speak the High Valyrian of Astapor to Missandei, but here I can see her letting Kraznys know directly by ordering the Unsullied to kill him good in his own language. You go, girl.

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:01 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Oh, and I can't wait for when:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dany has the Unsullied wipe out the Masters. In the books, she revealed her ability to speak the High Valyrian of Astapor to Missandei, but here I can see her letting Kraznys know directly by ordering the Unsullied to kill him good in his own language. You go, girl.

After watching the latest episode tonight (And Now His Watch Is Ended), all I can say about this is: Expectations have been met AND exceeded. Bad ASS Dany indeed- yah!

Some other thoughts after the episode:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Looks like the theory that the boy is in fact Ramsay Snow (Bolton) is getting closer to be proven correct. The structure that they were tying Theon to looks much like that on the Bolton flag.
- Beric Dondarrion looks a bit less...zombie-like than I would have expected based on his description in the books.
- I loved watching Lord Tywin verbally backhand his daughter and put her in her place. Meantime, this is another scene where he is writing on parchment while speaking to one of his children, another foreshadowing of the Red Wedding as he is likely communicating with Walder Frey about this in those scenes.
- I like the continuity in having the asshole Night's Watch bully being the one to kill the Lord Commander after being the one who was complaining throughout the previous episode.

The story is starting to pick up now. Good stuff.

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 am
Cinematographer

While watching last night I came to the realization that acting on this show has to be an incredibly easy paycheck. It's not necessarily a fault of the show, there's just so many different story threads going on that it's difficult to stay on one thread for more than 5 minutes an episode (and some not at all). Over the course of a season, characters might not see an hour of screen time. The actors are all good, it just can't be that hard for a professional actor to do a scene a week.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 pm
Cinematographer

PeachyPete wrote:
While watching last night I came to the realization that acting on this show has to be an incredibly easy paycheck. It's not necessarily a fault of the show, there's just so many different story threads going on that it's difficult to stay on one thread for more than 5 minutes an episode (and some not at all). Over the course of a season, characters might not see an hour of screen time. The actors are all good, it just can't be that hard for a professional actor to do a scene a week.

It's likely that all of the scenes for a particular set of cast members were filmed in quick succession, since that would make more sense than filming one scene at a time for a given episode. The editing department probably had the biggest single workload for any given season.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

It's likely that all of the scenes for a particular set of cast members were filmed in quick succession, since that would make more sense than filming one scene at a time for a given episode. The editing department probably had the biggest single workload for any given season.

Oh, absolutely. Still, it isn't like they have that much filming to do for each thread. If we get 5 minutes an episode, that's less than an hour for the entire season. Granted, there's always stuff they film and then edit out before the final product, but it just seems like a small amount of work for the actors over the course of an entire season.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next