Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Talk about whatever, version 1.0. 
Critic

Post Re: Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
ram1312 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I made a lesson for the 7th graders today that I thought was cool. They had to pretend to be CIA agents. Unfortunately, out of 22 kids, not one knew what the CIA was.

22 kids? That's fucking awesome. My smallest of six classes has 36 students.

I've been really hating the gig lately. Hate.

Fuck me, Ram. 6*36(+) = 216. How the hell do you grade everyone?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:04 pm
Producer

Listen to this then be-atches!

My cousin, just qualified as a teacher in June, aged 21, now teaches a class of 46 (Forty f*cking Six) 7 year olds... and the cherry on the cake....39 of them are the kids of economic migrants from Eastern Europe and speak English as a second language.

Any advance on this? I bet none of you knew that England is a 3rd world country did you?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:01 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Listen to this then be-atches!

My cousin, just qualified as a teacher in June, aged 21, now teaches a class of 46 (Forty f*cking Six) 7 year olds... and the cherry on the cake....39 of them are the kids of economic migrants from Eastern Europe and speak English as a second language.

Any advance on this? I bet none of you knew that England is a 3rd world country did you?

Please tell me you're not one of these English people.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 am
Producer

No I'm not.

Firstly the colour of anyone's skin is of no interest to me whatsover (beyond silly things like having a white guy playing Nelson Mandela or equally Samual L Jackson as Winston Churchill).

So no on that front.

My issue with my cousin's situation is how crudely the EU has attempted to merge the economies of its member states. When a developed economy meets a less developed one there will always be collateral damage in the labour market, and it's always, always the poorest who foot the bill for this. Not many factory owners complain about having an influx of dirt cheap labour which makes the existence of unions literally meaningless. She teaches in a poor town in the North East of England whose economic situation resembles that of Detriot in the Robocop films.

It's an issue of economic mis-management.

So I kind of resent the question to be honest.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:10 am
Producer

Nowadays, Detroit resembles the Detroit of the Robocop films.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
No I'm not.

Firstly the colour of anyone's skin is of no interest to me whatsover (beyond silly things like having a white guy playing Nelson Mandela or equally Samual L Jackson as Winston Churchill).

So no on that front.

My issue with my cousin's situation is how crudely the EU has attempted to merge the economies of its member states. When a developed economy meets a less developed one there will always be collateral damage in the labour market, and it's always, always the poorest who foot the bill for this. Not many factory owners complain about having an influx of dirt cheap labour which makes the existence of unions literally meaningless. She teaches in a poor town in the North East of England whose economic situation resembles that of Detriot in the Robocop films.

It's an issue of economic mis-management.

So I kind of resent the question to be honest.

Fair enough. I may have read a bit too much into your previous post, but the "3rd-world nation" bit gave me that vibe.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:56 pm
Producer

It was a reference to huge, under-resourced classrooms.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:23 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:

Whatever you may think of your nation's education system, it is still light-years ahead of the American system. You think your classrooms are under-resourced? At least your classrooms aren't trying to teach "magic man done it" (re: creationism bullshit) as an alternative to evolution. For fuckssake, even some so-called post-secondary institutions are trying to peddle that garbage into science classes (eg: Liberty "University") in the U.S..

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:16 pm
Cinematographer

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Whatever you may think of your nation's education system, it is still light-years ahead of the American system. You think your classrooms are under-resourced? At least your classrooms aren't trying to teach "magic man done it" (re: creationism bullshit) as an alternative to evolution. For fuckssake, even some so-called post-secondary institutions are trying to peddle that garbage into science classes (eg: Liberty "University") in the U.S..

From over here your system seems politically driven.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

From over here your system seems politically driven.

Yes, that makes it worse. Religion has no fucking business in government, at all. Just look at countries like Iran if you want to see how ass-backwards a nation can be when religion interferes with secular affairs. At least the U.S. hasn't gone that far, yet.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I made a lesson for the 7th graders today that I thought was cool. They had to pretend to be CIA agents. Unfortunately, out of 22 kids, not one knew what the CIA was.

22 kids? That's fucking awesome. My smallest of six classes has 36 students.

I've been really hating the gig lately. Hate.

Fuck me, Ram. 6*36(+) = 216. How the hell do you grade everyone?

226...as of right now JKunz. It's fucked. Although, the majority of them don't do shit. For half the clases, I'm lucky if a third of the kids do the work. And that's the depressing part...no matter what I do, I can't motivate these kids to do a god damn thing. I've written out their fucking assignments for them...all they have to do is write. Doesn't happen. I fucking hate it.

Been doing this for 11 years now, man, and it's getting really difficult for me to wake up to go. And I try to tell myself that I should be grateful the job I have...or just job i have, period. But fuck, I am not happy with this shit.

What a whiny bitch, yeah?

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 am
Cinematographer

ram1312 wrote:

You certainly have my sympathy. I'm not a trained professional, but I have difficulty controlling classes of 10 or so Sunday school students - and they are all well parented kids. What a great challenge you have taken on.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 am
Critic

ram1312 wrote:
226...as of right now JKunz. It's fucked. Although, the majority of them don't do shit. For half the clases, I'm lucky if a third of the kids do the work. And that's the depressing part...no matter what I do, I can't motivate these kids to do a god damn thing. I've written out their fucking assignments for them...all they have to do is write. Doesn't happen. I fucking hate it.

Been doing this for 11 years now, man, and it's getting really difficult for me to wake up to go. And I try to tell myself that I should be grateful the job I have...or just job i have, period. But fuck, I am not happy with this shit.

Jesus Christ I have 73 total in 4 classes. I like my job and feel really, really bad for you.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Jesus Christ I have 73 total in 4 classes. I like my job and feel really, really bad for you.

Some kids just aren't motivated to do assignments no matter how good of a teacher you are, so don't feel too bad. That said, I could never be a teacher myself, if I had to deal with the same things as you, i'd probably snap and curse out the whole class.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Some kids just aren't motivated to do assignments no matter how good of a teacher you are, so don't feel too bad. That said, I could never be a teacher myself, if I had to deal with the same things as you, i'd probably snap and curse out the whole class.

I don't have the slightest idea what you look like, but the mental image of this is priceless nonetheless.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Gaffer

JamesKunz wrote:
Fuck me, Ram.

Dude! Get in line!!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

CasualDad wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

You certainly have my sympathy. I'm not a trained professional, but I have difficulty controlling classes of 10 or so Sunday school students - and they are all well parented kids. What a great challenge you have taken on.

You know Dad, most days I feel like an overpriced babysitter. I feel like I should just take that mindset.

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Vexey, it's happened...plenty of times with me. Shit, it happened on Wednesday with my first period morons.

ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Fuck me, Ram.

Dude! Get in line!!

Fucking love guys, I swear...

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:57 am
Producer

Is Pam Grier following your band on Twitter? 'Cause she's following mine.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 pm
Producer

Wow, crazy sh!t!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next