Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Giggle...
Attachment:
tebow.jpg
tebow.jpg [ 52.78 KiB | Viewed 1818 times ]

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:48 am
I think ESPN is trying much too hard to give Robert Griffin the push over Andrew Luck. Which is not to say they aren't both amazing, but it seems the analysts over there are trying to play the 'later we can say we told you so!' card on the public. The more I see of Luck, the more I'm convinced he will be a Matt Ryan type of quarterback - someone who fulfills the quota of a good, solid quarterback but isn't necessarily going to provide a wealth of stat-busting numbers or playoff wins. Yet, RG3, who is arguably the more athletic of the two (definitely quicker), seems to draw closer and closer to the Mike Vick mode, which isn't know for winning at a championship-caliber rate.

Who do you guys pick?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:32 pm
Oh, my! http://www.vice.com/read/the-mercy-rule ... -a-mildcat

Quote:
The most important thing to remember, as Tim Tebow's career makes its official transition into farce, is that it was already, and always, a comedy. It was a complicated one, but broadly comedic even as it resembled drama—as Tebow's Broncos backed, or lucked, or pratfell into one ungainly win after another; as Tebow's name was uttered every 41 seconds on ESPN, even if it meant leatherette error-puppet Skip Bayless was barging into Nissan commercials inna Kool-Aid Man stylee and howling invectives about Tebow's leadership; as the heft of the NFL commentariat wondered in earnest how much more it could possibly take for people to believe that this scatter-armed goofsteak might actually be Jesus Christ returned to earth as a scatter-armed goofsteak.

This all was funny enough on its own, this steak-scented cuddle puddle of columnists, sports pundits, and grown-ass adults in jerseys, all humpily pondering the metaphysical implications of Tebow's 2-for-8, 69-yard passing performance against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 10 (a win!). It was made funnier still by the fact that Tebow, grinning anthropomorphized jug of whole milk from which flowed one-hopped passes, popular bible quotes, and Successories captions of self-praise for his own work ethic, was at the center of all this. This rectangular column of Wonder Bread pudding, at the center of all that. And now, with Tebow's reported trade to the New York Jets, at the center of something even bigger.

In many ways, Denver was the ideal spot for Tebow, both since the Broncos were one of the reliably more competent teams in the NFL's crappiest division, and by dint of Broncos HQ’s proximity to the mile-high ops center of Tebow's own strain of perpetually aggrieved nu-Christianity: the world headquarters of noxious bedroom creepers Focus on the Family, the anti-everything politico-religious organization for which Tebow cut a few cornball anti-abortion television commercials, is in Colorado Springs, an hour or so's drive south of Denver.

Denver's decision, earlier this week, to replace Tebow at quarterback with four-time MVP Peyton Manning was risky, in the sense that Manning has endured a handful of neck surgeries over the last year or so and hasn’t played in over a calendar year. It was not risky in the sense that Manning is an exponentially better quarterback than Tebow is now or is likely ever to be. (He would be so even if he had to play in a full neck brace while zipping around in a Jazzy motorized scooter.) Tebow's celebrity and running skills, in that order, made him appealing to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the sinus headache of a team that plays its mostly blacked-out home games in Tebow's hometown. That the Jaguars were outbid by the New York Jets—a talented but underachieving team comprised of reality show contestants and people too harrowingly sociopathic to survive even a Real Housewives vetting process, who are led by handsomely mediocre quarterback Mark Sanchez and a bellowing foot fetishist of a coach—was both puzzling and fascinating. It is also the perfect next act in the grand comedic epic that is The Tim Tebow Story.

Provided the deal goes through—and there are some clauses in Tebow's contract that could make a trade to any team difficult to swing—one of the NFL's coarsest and most demanding fan bases, covered with pathologically undermine-y glee by the nation's vilest and most giddily destructive tabloids, will get the player for which they are absolutely least-suited. The Jets, who started bailing on each other about two-thirds of the way through last season, will have as one of their two quarterbacks the universe's greatest existing magnet for cunty anonymous quotes from exasperated teammates in Tebow; Sanchez, for all his mediocrity, has already proven formidable in that category, as well.

Tebow, for his part, will work very hard and play quarterback as well as he can—which is better than some NFL backups, though less effective than Sanchez—and, more importantly, live out for real the fed-to-the-lions martyrdom fantasies of a prickly, paranoiac fanbase intent on reading every criticism of his falling-down-the-stairs passing mechanics as an anti-Christian hate crime. And they may almost sort of be right this time—the Post's sports page, and Jets-world, actually are as debauched as Tebow's more politicized superfans believe the entire nation to be. The better part of the Tebow mystique has involved making him some sort of avatar—for conservatives, both the football types that can't process a quarterback better at running than passing; and the religious kind, who boil teachings of Christian love into adversarial culture war junk, and so shrink many of the world’s better ideas into spew better befitting their small hearts. As a quarterback, in any uniform, Tebow is not much. But as a character in the ongoing black comedy that is American life, he just got that much more interesting.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:56 am
Salt in my wounds, man.

Love Rex, love Sanchez. Love my team. But somebody please take out Woody Johnson and Mike Tannebaum for me? They're clowns.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Salt in my wounds, man.

Love Rex, love Sanchez. Love my team. But somebody please take out Woody Johnson and Mike Tannebaum for me? They're clowns.

It could be worse: you could be a Chargers fan, and thus the fan of a team that apparently has embraced mediocrity, as Norv Turner isn't going anywhere. Sigh.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
It could be worse: you could be a Chargers fan, and thus the fan of a team that apparently has embraced mediocrity, as Norv Turner isn't going anywhere. Sigh.

Seriously? This is like comparing stubbing your toe (keeping Turner) to having a stroke, heart attack, and bad gas simultaneously (the acquisition of Tebow). I'd MUCH rather be in your situation than this one...the Jets have fast become a laughing stock.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Salt in my wounds, man.

To make matters worse, the team's going somewhere. Being a Bolts fan has to be pretty tough usually (and my team ended up ruining your best moment - sorry there). Stay strong, though - I think your team will be competitive next season. Just make sure Phillip Rivers doesn't make every DB in the AFC West a Pro-Bowler this year.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm
So, 2 weeks in and...nothing? Where's Phil Spires when you need him? I'm utterly shocked that he hasn't resurrected this thread and proclaimed his 49ers the team to beat. Which, they are. And we all know Phil doesn't normally resist a chance to let us know all about his teams successes.

Anyway, as an Eagles fan, it's nice to see them pulling out games they would have lost last year, but it's also really disconcerting to see that the turnover issues haven't been fixed. You just can't keep expecting to win when you're turning the ball over 4 and 5 times a game. The sad part is it isn't even like the offense is getting stopped. They've moved the ball up and down the field all game in both games this year, but have only scored 17 and 24 points because turnovers kill their drives. Again, it's nice to see them come up with big drives late and pull these games out, but that has to be corrected before I take them seriously. The defense looks much improved, and the Demeco Ryans trade (for a 4th round pick from Houston) looks like the steal of the year so far. That guy is ridiculous.

Other things from around the league:

The Saints are finished. It's just too much to ask them to deal with that coaching fiasco this season. Their defense is awful and Brees has to be damn near perfect for them to win. They're heading right for 6-10.

I'd take the Falcons seriously if they could run the ball...at all! As such, I don't trust Matt Ryan to carry the load in a playoff game, and, even if he does, they don't have the horses to run the clock out late.

Through 2 games, the Packers don't look anything like the juggernaut we saw last season. The defense looks much better (Jay Cutler seems to have that effect on defenses), which is a cause for hope. You have to think that offense will come around at some point. There's just too much talent.

Cam Newton and RGIII are the most fun guys to watch in the league right now. Neither has a very good team around him, but man are those guys exciting.

The Chiefs are pathetic. They have a ton of talent, yet they haven't really been competitive in either game thus far. It's just a joke.

Houston looks like the real deal in the AFC. I'm still not sure I trust Schaub in big moments, but with that defense and running game, it might not matter.

Speaking of defenses and running games, it's really hard to believe all of the "it's a passing league" nonsense when the 2 best teams (San Fran and Houston) are based around a strong defense and great running game.

Very little Tebow so far, very good for the NFL. I actually like the guy, but he is where he belongs - as a backup who comes in sporadically to use his running abilities. Of course, a few more 10/27s by Sanchez, and that might change very quickly.

What about you guys? Thoughts?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 am
Agreed man! Very interesting season thus far. My thoughts...

49ers are the team to beat right now, this week, yes. And if the NFL was a 3-game playoff format in the playoffs they might be close to locks. But it's not, of course, and we haven't seen Smith carve up a quality defense yet, so... but yeah, they're damn good in all phases AND they have a good QB. Which matters. A lot. Most of all in fact. Another important note with them is their gameplan to leave so few players in the box... they're committed to it and it's working and other teams are taking notice. Remember when Peter King (who honestly makes Skip Bayless look like freaking David Halberstam) said that we'd see like 4 or 5 5k passers this year and that Rodgers or Stafford might sniff 6k? Yeah. Not happening. I'm definitely not saying we're heading into a a defensive era, but the athleticism of today's players was bound to eventually put a cap on offensive output, and we might have reached that, despite the rules to the contrary.

The Iggles defense finally looks as good as they should have last year. They finally move Assymoooooogah back to corner where he belongs. Playing him as a Ed Reed/Polamolu-style free safety last year was as dumb as if the Lakers decided Dwight needed to be their PG this year. Or just as dumb as Dwight Howard. Regardless, these first two weeks are either a sign of a team of destiny or a team destined to crash and burn worse than last year. It'll be great entertainment for us either way (and might age Petey by a few years).

Side note that I know has been mentioned: How come Mike Vick is allowed to throw the ball away while in the process of being sacked? The rules explicitly do not allow this. It's like the refs are so impressed by the athleticism that they let it go. It's like the refs are amateurOH WAIT THEY FUCKING ARE AMATEURS. My goodness.

I have the same doubts about the Falcons that you do. And I mean, they just about blew a 20-point lead at home on Monday night. I mean, the Broncos punted twice in the 4th quarter and STILL just about came back because the Falcons couldn't, you know, get a first down. Very skeptical of them.

Skeptical of Peyton? You betcha. Betting against him against any AFC team? Hells to the no! The AFC sucks. And I love Peyton and am rooting for him this year, but have you noticed how little he's gotten hit, even when he's gotten hit? He's certainly skilled at not getting pummelled, and that is indeed a skill, but its like Goodell paid/bribed/blackmailed defensive lineman into not hitting him hard, ever, for any reason. Is this beyond Goodell? No! Of course not! He's threatening player safety and making us watch 5-hour games to save .006% of the NFL's revenue! Seriously, has there ever been a sports commish who is simultaneously incredibly bad, incredibly hypocritical and incredibly powerful?

I'm not a believer in the Texans either.

The Pats are interesting. One of the first two weeks was their true colors and I'm not sure which is which yet. If it's week 1, they're sailing to the Super Bowl. Again, the AFC sucks. A lot.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:34 am
I'm not an avid football follower, but this might be the only time during the year where I'll be able to say that my Arizona Cardinals are undefeated, after pulling off what was far and away the biggest upset of Week 2. Their next match-up against the Eagles should be a good one. Philadelphia has a solid offense but, as Pete pointed out, are turnover-prone, so Arizona's strong defensive line might present a challenge. Offensively, the Cardinals led by the underwhelming Kevin Kolb, could struggle to score.

That's about the extent of what I can offer in terms of football analysis. As mentioned already, the 49ers are probably the best team in the game right now; Arizona will more than likely have to fight for the wild card.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 pm
Shade wrote:
Side note that I know has been mentioned: How come Mike Vick is allowed to throw the ball away while in the process of being sacked? The rules explicitly do not allow this. It's like the refs are so impressed by the athleticism that they let it go. It's like the refs are amateurOH WAIT THEY FUCKING ARE AMATEURS. My goodness.

Haha, so true. It was blatantly grounding on the pass he threw late in the game against the Ravens. The refs initially ruled it a fumble (which was a joke), then overturned it. Nothing was even mentioned about grounding, but it clearly was.

Side note to your side note: Vick is in trouble these next 2 weeks. We lost our starting center and starting left tackle (who was already a backup for Jason Peters, who was injured before the season). We're going against 2 insane defensive lines the next 2 weeks - Arizona and the Giants. I have very little faith that Vick makes it through the next 2 games without an injury.

Shade wrote:
I have the same doubts about the Falcons that you do. And I mean, they just about blew a 20-point lead at home on Monday night. I mean, the Broncos punted twice in the 4th quarter and STILL just about came back because the Falcons couldn't, you know, get a first down. Very skeptical of them.

They're lucky they were able to throw for a first down on their last drive. I have no doubt that Peyton would have stolen that game if Denver got the ball back.

Shade wrote:
Skeptical of Peyton? You betcha. Betting against him against any AFC team? Hells to the no! The AFC sucks. And I love Peyton and am rooting for him this year, but have you noticed how little he's gotten hit, even when he's gotten hit? He's certainly skilled at not getting pummelled, and that is indeed a skill, but its like Goodell paid/bribed/blackmailed defensive lineman into not hitting him hard, ever, for any reason. Is this beyond Goodell? No! Of course not! He's threatening player safety and making us watch 5-hour games to save .006% of the NFL's revenue! Seriously, has there ever been a sports commish who is simultaneously incredibly bad, incredibly hypocritical and incredibly powerful?

Just an awesome all around paragraph. Completely agree with all of this. Goodell is the only thing about the NFL that sucks worse than the AFC.

Blonde Almond wrote:
I'm not an avid football follower, but this might be the only time during the year where I'll be able to say that my Arizona Cardinals are undefeated, after pulling off what was far and away the biggest upset of Week 2. Their next match-up against the Eagles should be a good one. Philadelphia has a solid offense but, as Pete pointed out, are turnover-prone, so Arizona's strong defensive line might present a challenge. Offensively, the Cardinals led by the underwhelming Kevin Kolb, could struggle to score.

That's about the extent of what I can offer in terms of football analysis. As mentioned already, the 49ers are probably the best team in the game right now; Arizona will more than likely have to fight for the wild card.

I think your analysis of the Eagles-Cards game is spot on. Outside of maybe a huge Fitzgerald play or 2, I can't see the Cards doing much offensively. They haven't in either game so far, and the improved Philly defense is the best defense they've seen so far. A Patrick Peterson return, another blocked punt, or a defensive score are all within the realm of possiblity, though. The Eagles are banged up on the o-line, Maclin isn't playing, and they already have turnover issues.

I think a big play or 2 will swing the game in one team's favor. I can't really see either team putting together long, clock eating drives for scores. Given the Eagles' turnover problems, I think that favors the Cards. I expect a close, fairly low scoring game, that might not be terribly entertaining. Both teams are coming off of huge wins, and winning a hard fought game like this, and propelling one of the teams to 3-0 is the kind of win that could build a ton of confidence. I obviously hope that happens for Philly, but we shall see.

And, as always, the NFL is an insane sport, so a 45-0 blowout is what will probably happen. The sport just makes no logical sense.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 pm
Director

My favorite team, the Titans, look horrible.

I really have nothing more to add other than that.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Ten Things That I was Utterly, Totally Right About:

10. Drew Brees. He's not even CLOSE to Rodgers or Brady overall. He has a great arm and can put points on the board.. but his sense of discretion is horrendous and he almost always turns the ball over at least twice a game now. Even when Payton was there he threw a lot of necessary, silly picks against tough opponents, but had a superior game plan to bail him out. Not now, Brees. Your days of throwing like an inefficient jackass are soon at an end - at least until Sean Payton comes back and makes you a top five lock again. He's even less deserving of being a 'Top 3' guy than I thought he was coming in to the season. That in itself is a major accomplishment.
9. Even with the Vikes game considered, Alex Smith is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the league - his sense of discretion is almost unassailable. His desperation pick at the end was so out of the ordinary that it was disappointing just to see it on his stat sheet. Hey, remember when I said he was a better QB even than Cutler? Ask Green Bay who won that argument.
8. Mike Vick, like him or leave him, is a big game guy. Has been, always will be. He played unafraid against Baltimore, balls out - which is exactly how you need to play the Ravens; if you ask for inches from them, you'll get centimeters. He is a bold, confident quarterback, who, despite throwing a flurry of picks, has lead them to 2-1. The ugliness of the loss to Arizona doesn't make them any more or less a team that is, again, 2-1.
7. Also, about NFC East quarterbacks: I retain my assertion that Eli Manning is the bets clutch athlete since Michael Jordan. He's simply remarkable at never batting an eyelash and just getting the job done. Sure, he can be remarkably cold at times (his 2008 playoff exit to the Eagles with McNabb was simply embarrassing), but when he is on a hot streak, he is the best single quarterback in the National Football League. And in terms of fourth quarter QB'ing, he might be one of the best ever, if not just the best. Yes. THE best.
6. The Chargers will win the AFC West. Please and thank you. Even if Peyton gets better at throwing the deep ball, the Chargers will beat all but the very best teams on their schedule. That Atlanta game was smoke and mirrors - the Chargers are a more dangerous team than Atalanta, and will be even more considerable when they get Mathews back. In fact, every Falcons game until the postseason is smoke and mirrors. And, just to agree with pretty much everyone, ever - Michael Turner is a horrendous running back. His 3-and-1 against Denver where he all but desperation-heaved himself forward into the end-zone was cringe-worthy.
5. The Texans need a marquee victory for me to take them seriously - their D still isn't abjectly frightening like Baltimore or San Fran's (they are still not a very good turnover team) and although they have the best running tandem in the league in Foster and Tate, I don't think of Schaub as a winning ticket for them. Not yet. I'll have the see how he handles his first postseason start with the Texans in order to gauge this. Blame Matt Ryan for that one.
4. The Pats are still the team to beat - they got severely unlucky in their last two games. Any team that can hang 30 on Baltimore, IN Baltimore (possibly the single hardest thing for any NFL team to do), is a team I can count on to score anywhere. And if the D evolves - the AFC might at least have one legitimate threat to the NFC's big four (Niners, Pack, Giants and Eagles).
3. As has been said a million times before, the AFC is a wretched conference. The NFC is better in many ways, none the least in terms of consistent level of quality. Team to team, front to back it's just a tougher, more balanced conference, with or without Sean Payton and his extra-tight Brees leash. In other words, winner of the NFC Championship game will determine the winner of the Super Bowl again this year - UNLESS the winning team suffers a fracturing injury. But I guess that's just obvious.
2. Jay Cutler is, as I've always said, an imbecile. His performance against Green Bay destroyed all hopes of Chicago of being a legit threat. In order for them to be a team to beat, they need to be able to beat the Pack on the road. Throwing four picks and getting sacked seven times is not exactly a recipe for success in Lambeau. Or anywhere, actually. And I didn't even mention the word "leadership", because there's no need to. He's a horrible field general. He's basically the QB version of Carmelo Anthony; very talented, but also very wrong-headed and far too conditional in terms of performance to count on for greater, consistent levels of success.
1. Oh, and the Cowboys and Jets ARE THE EXACT SAME TEAMS THEY WERE LAST SEASON. COUNT'EM OUT NOW. Even if the Jets handle San Fran at home, I'm still calling them a bust. They are WAYYYY too shaky to be even remotely confident about - and now they're sans Revis. And Dallas.... There is no hope.

Ten Things I Was Utterly, Totally Wrong About:

10. Well... there was this game in Minnesota...
9. Man, I can't think of anything else. I really nailed this season. And yes, although Vick has been INCREDIBLY dangerous to his own team recently, mark my words - if he's in the Super Bowl, he will make that game a win. He's no McNabb, he's no Romo - he's big time. Whether or not he actually gets there is the real problem.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

6. The Chargers will win the AFC West. Please and thank you. Even if Peyton gets better at throwing the deep ball, the Chargers will beat all but the very best teams on their schedule. That Atlanta game was smoke and mirrors - the Chargers are a more dangerous team than Atalanta, and will be even more considerable when they get Mathews back. In fact, every Falcons game until the postseason is smoke and mirrors. And, just to agree with pretty much everyone, ever - Michael Turner is a horrendous running back. His 3-and-1 against Denver where he all but desperation-heaved himself forward into the end-zone was cringe-worthy.

I'd love to believe you, really I would. However, at this point, I'm more inclined to ask you if the price of good blow has gone down in Amsterdam, because you seem to be smoking more of it than usual with the above statement.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:53 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I'd love to believe you, really I would. However, at this point, I'm more inclined to ask you if the price of good blow has gone down in Amsterdam, because you seem to be smoking more of it than usual with the above statement.

"Hey, I'm feeling really confident about how our team scored two points in our last postseason contest."

- No one, ever

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:56 pm
Just came back from the Niners-Jets game. Absolutely stunning win, what a total beatdown that was. I'm still smiling just thinking about it.

Jets gained 145 yards of total offense. 145 yards. Jesus.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Just came back from the Niners-Jets game. Absolutely stunning win, what a total beatdown that was. I'm still smiling just thinking about it.

Jets gained 145 yards of total offense. 145 yards. Jesus.

The Jets suck this year. Thankfully, so do the Chiefs. Unfortunately, the Raiders also suck, badly.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm
Cinematographer

So I checked in on Super Bowl XLVIII which I wasn't watching because the Bolts aren't in it, and noticed that the Seahawks are bending the Broncos over and fucking them up the ass (29-0 as if this post). I then looked at the boxscore and noticed that they've been doing it with just 1 offensive TD go along with a kickoff return TD, a couple of field goals, a safety, and an interception return. The 'Hawks D has been outscoring their own offense in what is currently a pistol-whipping. For anyone who thought that good offense trumps good defense, this game appears to be a firm argument against the notion. So much for the mighty Broncos and Manning.

Of course, if they come back to win this game, I'll have a huge dish of crow to eat, but I firmly doubt that will happen.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:56 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
So I checked in on Super Bowl XLVIII which I wasn't watching because the Bolts aren't in it, and noticed that the Seahawks are bending the Broncos over and fucking them up the ass (29-0 as if this post). I then looked at the boxscore and noticed that they've been doing it with just 1 offensive TD go along with a kickoff return TD, a couple of field goals, a safety, and an interception return. The 'Hawks D has been outscoring their own offense in what is currently a pistol-whipping. For anyone who thought that good offense trumps good defense, this game appears to be a firm argument against the notion. So much for the mighty Broncos and Manning.

Of course, if they come back to win this game, I'll have a huge dish of crow to eat, but I firmly doubt that will happen.

43-8 with less than 2 minutes left. Defense wins championships, Peyton.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:55 pm
Second Unit Director

I think the Broncs' much-vaunted offense was more a function of playing mostly shitty defenses, especially terrible secondaries, than anything else. They were definitely good, but it seemed that if they'd played in the NFC West instead they might not have been that good.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next