Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:18 pm

DREDD 
Site Admin

Post DREDD
Click here for the review of Dredd

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: DREDD
Excellent. I didn't have much hopes for the movie but the reviews have been consistently good - and it's being released here in Peru next week, so I'm gonna give it a go.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 am
Director

Quote:
Not much of what Dredd has to offer is new or groundbreaking, but the fusion of familiar elements generates a smartly-paced, suspenseful 90 minutes that's a vast improvement over the 1995 film

Well most films would improve greatly over that big budget nothing. Sounds like with this one they went back and fixed all the mistakes of the Stallone one or most of them. I don't know if I'll see this in theaters. But I will check it out eventually.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 am
Gaffer

I would guess that part of the disappointment with Ma-Ma is due to Lena Headey. I never have been able to understand the acclaim she's received as Cersei on Game of Thrones. I think she's the weakest of the major players on that show, by quite a margin.

This looks like a fun movie. I might have to drag the wife out to the local theater to see it.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 pm
Guapo wrote:
I would guess that part of the disappointment with Ma-Ma is due to Lena Headey. I never have been able to understand the acclaim she's received as Cersei on Game of Thrones. I think she's the weakest of the major players on that show, by quite a margin.

This looks like a fun movie. I might have to drag the wife out to the local theater to see it.

I loved Lena in Imagine Me And You, perhaps she's just not suited to playing villainous roles.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm
Gaffer

James, now that all the superhero movies of the year has been released can I ask you to tell us what are your top ten superhero movies (Or maybe comic book movies) of all time. I know you don't really care about top ten lists that much, but I was just curious.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:39 am
Dredd was released here in the UK nearly 2 weeks ago (it's a UK comic-book character so we got the flick first for a change). I found the film to be really well paced, lovely to look at and just great fun. It's like a throwback to the kind of bloody action films that were made in the late 80s... Robocop, Predator, that sort of thing (legend has it that Robocop was the result of wanting to do a Dredd film without having the rights).

Definitely a film to have on the DVD shelf when the boys come round for beers & giggles.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is it good to look at but the story is true to the spirit of the original. Looking at the comments above, I think Lena Headey's performance is as good as it can be made. It's fairly thankless to play the villain in movies like this when everyone is waiting for the psychopath to be blown away in some suitably bloodthirsty way. I'm not sure how, in the running length, it could have been improved.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Dredd is the kind of reboot I have been waiting for. Instead of taking a good movie and try to copy it's successful formula this one took a really bad movie and created a great remake. It actually should be called Dredd: Redemption a)for washing out the taste of Stallone's version and b)as it took the premise of The Raid and made an actual movie with a tense story,characters you can care about,humour and action scenes that have flow and direction not meaningless and repetitive.

The only person who seemed out of place is Lena Headey who despite how they try to make her look doesn't come off that menacing. She is a petite woman at 5'5" and her voice is very soft that I wonder if another meaner looking and sounding character actor would have worked better. Had the same problem with Marion Cotillard in Dark Knight Rises.

If there is one big complaint is that the movie here is rated as R and I saw a couple bring their two toddlers around 4 or 5 to watch the movie with them.I don't have to wonder how a 6 year old was in a midnight show in Aurora. I wanted to put on a Dredd helmet and give them a good cuff.

Last edited by oakenshield32 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
Dredd is the kind of reboot I have been waiting for. Instead of taking a good movie and try to copy it's successful formula this one took a really bad movie and created a great remake. It actually should be called Dredd: Redemption for washing out the taste of Stallone's version and as it took the premise of The Raid and made an actual movie with a tense story,characters you can care about,humour and action scenes that have flow and direction not meaningless and repetitive.

The only person who seemed out of place is Lena Headey who despite how they try to make her look doesn't come off that menacing. She is a petite woman at 5'5" and her voice is very soft that I wonder if another meaner looking and sounding character actor would have worked better. Had the same problem with Marion Cotillard in Dark Knight Rises.

If there is one big complaint is that the movie here is rated as R and I saw a couple bring their two toddlers around 4 or 5 to watch the movie with them.I don't have to wonder how a 6 year old was in a midnight show in Aurora. I wanted to put on a Dredd helmet and give them a good cuff.

There's a rumor that "The Raid" was actually inspired by Dredd after the script was leaked online. I would've prefered if someone like say Milla Jovovich played Ma-Ma, Headley did OK overall, but she's just not suited for villainous roles.

It also pisses me off that kids are being exposed to R-rated films that they're nowhere near old enough to handle, i've seen that happen for as long as i've been a regular moviegoer(6 years) i've seen 6 year-olds running around at a screening of Hostel 2, and one couple brought along they're two-year old to Law Abiding Citizen

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:13 pm
Gaffer

oakenshield32 wrote:

Not sure what they're thinking. This is a firmly hard R rated movie with lots and lots of blood and gore, with implied sexual assault throw in. Albeit, for a change, I do like the fact that the villains do and can think things through logically (Ma-Ma's action for the most part are perfectly logical, if not humane).

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:01 pm
dmar91 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is it good to look at but the story is true to the spirit of the original. Looking at the comments above, I think Lena Headey's performance is as good as it can be made. It's fairly thankless to play the villain in movies like this when everyone is waiting for the psychopath to be blown away in some suitably bloodthirsty way. I'm not sure how, in the running length, it could have been improved.

I agree with this, as Ma-Ma's role in the film was simply to provide the antagonistic plot device. The focus of the film was rightly on the main character and his rookie partner. In a way, one could argue that Anderson was the primary focus, as she learned about dispensing law in a highly-chaotic world where the line between "good" and "evil" wasn't a clear-cut one.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
It also pisses me off that kids are being exposed to R-rated films that they're nowhere near old enough to handle, i've seen that happen for as long as i've been a regular moviegoer(6 years) i've seen 6 year-olds running around at a screening of Hostel 2, and one couple brought along they're two-year old to Law Abiding Citizen

In more dramatic turn a friend related a story to me that in going to the washroom during a screening he found a little child cowering and visibly shaking outside the door of hardcore horror movie.He was so scared that my friend went to find his wife who is a psychologist to try talk to him and calm him down. His parents never appeared for the long stretch they were conversing I guess they wanted to get their $12 worth.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 am

oakenshield32 wrote:
Dredd is the kind of reboot I have been waiting for. Instead of taking a good movie and try to copy it's successful formula this one took a really bad movie and created a great remake. It actually should be called Dredd: Redemption a)for washing out the taste of Stallone's version and b)as it took the premise of The Raid and made an actual movie with a tense story,characters you can care about,humour and action scenes that have flow and direction not meaningless and repetitive.

At least with Dark Knight Rises, one could argue that we weren't suppose to immediately clue in that she was one of the villains, so the choice of Cotillard wasn't out of place.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
At least with Dark Knight Rises, one could argue that we weren't suppose to immediately clue in that she was one of the villains, so the choice of Cotillard wasn't out of place.

Initially for a second it is a surprise but she is such an attractive and likable persona that I could not buy her as the villain for longer than that. Henry Fonda had similar concerns in Once Upon a Time in the West and refused the part as no one would buy him. Sergio Leone being the great director he was got him to buy in and Fonda gave an utterly convincing performance as a villain.That is why he was such a great actor.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 pm

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

In more dramatic turn a friend related a story to me that in going to the washroom during a screening he found a little child cowering and visibly shaking outside the door of hardcore horror movie.He was so scared that my friend went to find his wife who is a psychologist to try talk to him and calm him down. His parents never appeared for the long stretch they were conversing I guess they wanted to get their $12 worth.

You know this sort of thing REALLY irritates me. If parents can't find a babysitter, just wait for it to come out on video. I remember watching a parent bring a couple of young kids into "The Crow" oh so many years ago, and I was absolutely appalled. That is a freaking violent movie with a lot of disturbing moments, especially for young children! The poor kids were crying at points. How insensitive to your kids' welfare do you have to be to take them to this stuff?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am
Machiara wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

You know this sort of thing REALLY irritates me. If parents can't find a babysitter, just wait for it to come out on video. I remember watching a parent bring a couple of young kids into "The Crow" oh so many years ago, and I was absolutely appalled. That is a freaking violent movie with a lot of disturbing moments, especially for young children! The poor kids were crying at points. How insensitive to your kids' welfare do you have to be to take them to this stuff?

Same thing happened to the two-year old during the "cellphone" scene in Law Abiding Citizen, after the movie I was sorely tempted to confront the couple about taking they're child to such a movie.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Same thing happened to the two-year old during the "cellphone" scene in Law Abiding Citizen, after the movie I was sorely tempted to confront the couple about taking they're child to such a movie.

To hear them tell you to fuck off? So long as parents treat their children like adults-in-waiting, acting as arbiter won't make the slightest difference. The problem isn't that parents take their kids to Law Abiding Citizen. It's something else, something goofier than the symptom of taking one's kid to a bloody movie. I have a friend that argues that children shouldn't be exposed to Finding Nemo for the exact same reasons children shouldn't be exposed to Law Abiding Citizen. I see a difference between the two but his point isn't as absurd as it may seem. "Trauma" is a great big tent. Use your judgement, exercise caution, so on and so forth.

I'm pleased that I edited out my paragraph-long condemnation of America.

Also: Law Abiding Citizen sucked and is a strong argument for a rating system that prevents anyone that doesn't have catastrophic short-term memory problems from seeing a movie like Law Abiding Citizen. Even on TNT, its new home.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:43 am
Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

To hear them tell you to fuck off? So long as parents treat their children like adults-in-waiting, acting as arbiter won't make the slightest difference. The problem isn't that parents take their kids to Law Abiding Citizen. It's something else, something goofier than the symptom of taking one's kid to a bloody movie. I have a friend that argues that children shouldn't be exposed to Finding Nemo for the exact same reasons children shouldn't be exposed to Law Abiding Citizen. I see a difference between the two but his point isn't as absurd as it may seem. "Trauma" is a great big tent. Use your judgement, exercise caution, so on and so forth.

Also: Law Abiding Citizen sucked and is a strong argument for a rating system that prevents anyone that doesn't have catastrophic short-term memory problems from seeing a movie like Law Abiding Citizen. Even on TNT, its new home.

Okaaaaayyyyyyy then :?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:52 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Okaaaaayyyyyyy then :?

I meant to write that I'll now be taking my parenting advice from you. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:07 am