Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes
Get off my plane!

Such a juicy one-liner under the circumstances. There's a visceral pleasure in hearing Ford say that since Gary Oldman is so evil in that movie.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:51 am
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Get off my plane!

Such a juicy one-liner under the circumstances. There's a visceral pleasure in hearing Ford say that since Gary Oldman is so evil in that movie.

Odd....I thought this was Sexual Chocolate's list, not yours. Make your own.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 am
Patrick wrote:
Odd....I thought this was Sexual Chocolate's list, not yours. Make your own.

Ignoring the fact that Sexy Choco told everyone to join in on the fun at the beginning of the thread, it would be pretty hilarious if he came in here and said...

Get off my thread!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:21 am
Director

10. "Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"

The quintessential Schwarzenegger quote. It's made all the more important when we consider how we now know the answer to this question, given Arnold having a child out of wedlock and all.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm
Assistant Director

Quote:
10. "Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"

I've been saying this for years and had no idea I was quoting anyone, let alone Arnie. Of course, most of the hookers to whom I say this probably don't see many movies and certainly can't afford VCRs or DVD players what with all the crack.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:23 pm
Director

9. Jack's chicken salad sandwich speech.

Have you ever been serviced rudely? Ever want to do something like this? Sure, we all have. But Five Easy Pieces shouldn't just be reduced to one really great scene. This is an intensely moving drama, featuring one of Jack Nicholson's best performances. It's depth has only grown on me as I've gotten older, and I appreciate it more with each passing year. Five Easy Pieces is an American masterpiece.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm
Director

8. "Do you like Phil Collins?"

I've always loved this scene, partly because I do like Phil Collins, but also because the delivery here is great. Christian Bale captures his character's narcissism so perfectly, but this scene is wonderful in that it manages to praise Collins and totally dismiss his entire body of work all in the same monologue. Even better: Bale does the same thing in the same movie with Huey Lewis.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm
Director

7. "I have come here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass. And I am all out of bubblegum."

You all know this one, so I'll keep it short. This may be the manliest line ever put to film. I'll never forget the first time I heard this; my reaction was more like "He did not just say that, did he?". Yes, yes he did.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:26 pm
Director

6. "You may think you're really hot stuff, but me personally, I think you ain't nothing but a very large baked potato."

In Death Race 2000, the villain is more charismatic than the hero, and the villain is played by Sylvester Stallone. This is important, because with this line he delivers the single most Stalloney moment of his career, and it was right at this point of the film I realized that if it hadn't been for Rocky, Stallone would have played stereotypical Italian thugs his whole life. What an awesome line.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm
Director

5. "Those satisfactions are permanent."

I think this is an amazing quote, but I'll level with you here. This quote only makes sense if seen in the full context of the film, and Two-Lane Blacktop is a bit of an acquired taste. It's a quiet, existential piece that reveals its rewards gradually. And who would have thought James Taylor was such a good actor?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:37 am
Director

4. "I'm a thousand-dollar-a-day newspaperman. You can have me for nothing."

This line is technically a spoiler, but like the previous quote, it is so great within the context of the film that I could not ignore it. I have long been a champion of Ace In The Hole, and even all these years later it retains all of its power. This is a biting, cynical film by today's standards; its depiction of a news media out for its own self interest, completely corrupt, and manipulative of the public is just as appropriate for today's culture as it was then...maybe it is even more prescient today.

Ace in the Hole bombed when it came out. I'm not surprised; it's such a cynical film, and 1950s audiences probably weren't ready for it. Hell, most of today's audiences probably aren't.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Director

3. The CATS monologue.

Team America, much like the film in my #2 slot, has so many quotable lines, that it is nearly impossible to pick one. This monologue has always been one of my favorites, however, simply because it may be the most ridiculous monologue ever committed to film. Allow me to print the whole thing to give you an idea:

"I was nineteen years old when the musical Cats came to our town. I couldn't wait to see it. After the show I was asked if I wanted to go meet some of the performers backstage. Man, I was thrilled. But when I got back there, they were drunk and out of control. Rumpus Cat and Macavity kept feeling up my leg. I tried to leave, but, Rumpleteazer held me down, and...I was raped by Mr. Mistoffelees."

When I saw this in the theater, I about pissed myself. Team America is a really, really good film, and it deserved a wider audience than what it found. Personally, I think it's Parker and Stone's best film, and in some aspects it may be better than some of their episodes of South Park. Now if only they had been able to make The Day After Tomorrow with puppets...

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
3. The CATS monologue.

Team America, much like the film in my #2 slot, has so many quotable lines, that it is nearly impossible to pick one. This monologue has always been one of my favorites, however, simply because it may be the most ridiculous monologue ever committed to film. Allow me to print the whole thing to give you an idea:

"I was nineteen years old when the musical Cats came to our town. I couldn't wait to see it. After the show I was asked if I wanted to go meet some of the performers backstage. Man, I was thrilled. But when I got back there, they were drunk and out of control. Rumpus Cat and Macavity kept feeling up my leg. I tried to leave, but, Rumpleteazer held me down, and...I was raped by Mr. Mistoffelees."

When I saw this in the theater, I about pissed myself. Team America is a really, really good film, and it deserved a wider audience than what it found. Personally, I think it's Parker and Stone's best film, and in some aspects it may be better than some of their episodes of South Park. Now if only they had been able to make The Day After Tomorrow with puppets...

Let's also not forget the brilliant spoof of the "man with a tortured past" monologue

We were all out at the zoo one day, I was doing some acting, walking on the railing of the gorilla exhibit. I fell in. Everyone screamed and Tommy jumped in after me, forgetting that he had blueberries in his front pocket. The gorillas just went wild. They jumped all over his body and threw him around like a rag doll to get to those blueberries. One gorilla would throw him to another gorilla who tossed him to another. Everyone panicked and cried out for somebody to help but it was too late. The gorillas beat him to death before the zookeepers could gas them all.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 pm
Director

2. Every other line in Terror Firmer.

I'm definitely cheating here. But this is my list, so what the hell. I can't simply pick one line from Terror Firmer, Lloyd Kaufman's most insanely quoteable movie. So instead, I give you 10 of the best quotes from the film:

"Why do you always look at the crack of a man's ass and think "lunch time"?"

"It's a horrible world! Starvation, dismemberment, torture, rape, corn-holing... it's horrible out there, but it's worse here in the movie set! We have danger... and stupidity!"

"How long until the sound's ready, Toddster?"..."Long enough for you to suck the Todd rod, and for you to be gurgilling with the Todd wad!"

"I've just been pissed on by a blind independent movie director!"

"This is definitely not chocolate pudding."

"I draw the line at ball crunching!"

"We had bagels after he raped me!"

"Dude, my Hershey highway is a one-way street!"

"I was thinking about going home and putting a Spielberg movie in - 'Always' or '1941,' something really great like that."

"I'm an artist first, and a businessman second...and then a foot fetishist."

And there's more. But I don't want to spoil them all. This is a fun, quotable movie, and I love it. Terror Firmer is a must-see if you're into bloody, stoopid fun.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:46 pm
Director

1. "I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."

And so this is it. My favorite movie monologue of all time. Predictable? Well, perhaps, but all I can say is that this scene gives me chills every time I see it. Tarantino, in a few short minutes, goes looking for nobility in a thoroughly despicable man and finds it, and it is in these few minutes that Pulp Fiction goes from good to transcendent. Tarantino will probably never make another film this good - few directors manage it once - but with Pulp Fiction he delivered something unforgettable.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 pm
Second Unit Director

This is way too late of reply, but I wanted to tip my hat to Sexual Chocolate for following through on this. There were a lot of good selections - I personally can't argue with the top choice - and a lot of movies honored that might not get an honor anywhere else. A film like Terror Firmer is now on my radar. Thanks, Sexual! Wherever you are...

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9