Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Newsroom 
Cinematographer

Post Newsroom
Anyone catch the new HBO series Newsroom?

I thought Jeff Daniels was great in it. If you like Aaron Sorkin's writing, you'll probably love this. You might consider it preachy depending on your personal politics, but I liked it because it didn't really pick a side. I'll definitely be following up on it next week.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 am
Director

Post Re: Newsroom
We disagree.

It definitely picks a side.

I watched the first season of this show and it was one of the more annoying first seasons I can recall. Jeff Daniels is terrific but sadly his character seems like Aaron Sorkin shouting from the hilltops with his annoyingly one-sided, extremely biased, mean-spirited political agenda.

Don't get me wrong, the show had flashes of brilliance, notably the Osama and Gabby Giffords episodes, but Sorkin doesn't know when to stop trying to be cute and clever, it just doesn't work. And is it just me, or is Jim the only tolerable/likeable character in the whole show? I love Emily Mortimer, but she overacts her part big time IMO.

The whole notion that Daniels is upset at the Republican party during this day and age is also pretty ridiculous. Shouldn't it be the other way around? A disappointed democrat disgusted with all the promises Obama didn't fulfill? I mean yes, the Tea Party was really annoying and they definitely exaggerate a lot of things, but when the show calls them out for hyperbole then responds by calling them "the American taliban".....it just comes across as undetected hypocrisy.

I won't be watching Season 2.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 am
Profile WWW
People have way more reasons to be dissapointed in the Republicans then the Democrats, so it's sounds like you hated the show more due to your political bias then anything else.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
People have way more reasons to be dissapointed in the Republicans then the Democrats, so it's sounds like you hated the show more due to your political bias then anything else.

Incorrect on both accounts. Let's just leave it at that.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
his character seems like Aaron Sorkin shouting from the hilltops with his annoyingly one-sided, extremely biased, mean-spirited political agenda.

I watched the first 40 or so minutes of the first show and this is the exact vibe I got. I'm all for any kind of commentary, but this was so overt and condescending that I felt more like I was being scolded for not agreeing with the writer (even if I did agree with him on some points) more than I was watching a TV show. Daniels delivered the show's opening monologue brilliantly, but the words were just plain preachy.

Vexer wrote:

It amazes me that someone can start a thought by blatantly inserting their own bias and then turn right around and accuse someone else of being biased without blinking an eye.

Come on, Vex. You can believe what you want (and I agree with you), but you can't present your opinion as fact and then call another person biased for not agreeing with your opinion. That's just ignorant.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am
PeachyPete wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
his character seems like Aaron Sorkin shouting from the hilltops with his annoyingly one-sided, extremely biased, mean-spirited political agenda.

I watched the first 40 or so minutes of the first show and this is the exact vibe I got. I'm all for any kind of commentary, but this was so overt and condescending that I felt more like I was being scolded for not agreeing with the writer (even if I did agree with him on some points) more than I was watching a TV show. Daniels delivered the show's opening monologue brilliantly, but the words were just plain preachy.

Vexer wrote:

It amazes me that someone can start a thought by blatantly inserting their own bias and then turn right around and accuse someone else of being biased without blinking an eye.

Come on, Vex. You can believe what you want (and I agree with you), but you can't present your opinion as fact and then call another person biased for not agreeing with your opinion. That's just ignorant.

Well Dan was presenting his political opinion as fact, so I decided to do the same for laughs :lol:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:23 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Vexer wrote:

Well Dan was presenting his political opinion as fact, so I decided to do the same for laughs :lol:

Again, not true.

I was simply offering another point of view that I would think would be more realistic.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
OK then.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:26 am
Cinematographer

DunkinDan89 wrote:
We disagree.

It definitely picks a side.

I watched the first season of this show and it was one of the more annoying first seasons I can recall. Jeff Daniels is terrific but sadly his character seems like Aaron Sorkin shouting from the hilltops with his annoyingly one-sided, extremely biased, mean-spirited political agenda.

Don't get me wrong, the show had flashes of brilliance, notably the Osama and Gabby Giffords episodes, but Sorkin doesn't know when to stop trying to be cute and clever, it just doesn't work. And is it just me, or is Jim the only tolerable/likeable character in the whole show? I love Emily Mortimer, but she overacts her part big time IMO.

The whole notion that Daniels is upset at the Republican party during this day and age is also pretty ridiculous. Shouldn't it be the other way around? A disappointed democrat disgusted with all the promises Obama didn't fulfill? I mean yes, the Tea Party was really annoying and they definitely exaggerate a lot of things, but when the show calls them out for hyperbole then responds by calling them "the American taliban".....it just comes across as undetected hypocrisy.

I won't be watching Season 2.

I understand what you're saying about the show in general. I kind of agree, the characters could be way better. Sometimes Sorkin needs to just chill out. I posted this after the pilot episode, which compared to the rest of the season, was WAY more neutral. That said, your point about disgust with Republicans kind of shows that you missed the point they were trying to make. Jeff Daniel's character is supposed to be a moderate republican, and he is unhappy that the hyper conservative Tea Party took over as the voice of the whole GOP. That's not hypocrisy. It doesn't make sense to write a show about a republican who is disappointed in democrats.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:34 am
Auteur

My mom has become a huge fan of this show, when I told her how people were complaining about it being "liberal propaganda" she just laughed and said "I love liberal propaganda".

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:51 am
Cinematographer

I've started watching this show recently and love it. I can understand why a lot of people don't like it, but frankly, I'm GLAD those kind of people don't. This is because the show does target them with its rhetoric, which incidentally isn't as biased towards the left as many believe it is. It is simply that the biggest fucking liars in the U.S. are from the political right- actually, let's say the biggest ignoramuses, if we're going to assume that they are not in fact out to deliberately deceive the public. Anyone who supports them should hate this show as a matter of principle.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:10 am