Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Rules You Would Make If You Were King of the Movie World
Threeperf35 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Note* I actually like Jerry Bruckheimer movies. He's not the champion of first class entertainment, but when it comes to making summer action movies, there's no one better.

Well I think Bruckheimer is to the movies what Mc Donald's is to food.

What about Transformers and Battleship producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura? If Bruckheimer is McDonald's, then he's Mr Slurpee. :lol:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Critic

I wish I had some McDonalds right now

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am
Assistant Director

PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
See my old movie rule: Wes Anderson and all those hipster directors can never go behind the camera again.

All right, I'm going to finally bite on this - what, exactly, makes Wes Anderson a hipster? A hipster is someone incapable of taking anything seriously, and everything they do is done ironically. They don't care about anything, or at least that's the vibe they consciously attempt to put out there. Even if you don't like Anderson's movies, they aren't exactly dripping with irony, and he undoubtedly cares about certain things - most notably family dynamics, as every one of his movies revolves around that concept.
[/quote]

I believe this man on iMDb put it best:

I don't want to grow a mountain-man beard. I don't want gauged ears. I have no desire for a tattoo. I hate PBR. I just want to cycle in a world where other cyclists are reasonable people and don't do things solely just because an entire sub-culture thinks it's cool.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
See my old movie rule: Wes Anderson and all those hipster directors can never go behind the camera again.

All right, I'm going to finally bite on this - what, exactly, makes Wes Anderson a hipster? A hipster is someone incapable of taking anything seriously, and everything they do is done ironically. They don't care about anything, or at least that's the vibe they consciously attempt to put out there. Even if you don't like Anderson's movies, they aren't exactly dripping with irony, and he undoubtedly cares about certain things - most notably family dynamics, as every one of his movies revolves around that concept.

I believe this man on iMDb put it best:

I don't want to grow a mountain-man beard. I don't want gauged ears. I have no desire for a tattoo. I hate PBR. I just want to cycle in a world where other cyclists are reasonable people and don't do things solely just because an entire sub-culture thinks it's cool.[/quote]

I don't really think that's much of a response to Pete's point

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm
Assistant Director

He was asking what a hipster is.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:

No he isn't. In fact he tells you what a hipster is. He's asking how Wes Anderson is one

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

No he isn't. In fact he tells you what a hipster is. He's asking how Wes Anderson is one

Exactly. I was asking what makes Wes Anderson a hipster. More specifically, what makes his movies hipsterish. From what I can recall of the man's movies, nothing in your response applies.

You're so against hipsters that it almost makes you some kind of weird anti-hipster hipster. It's really odd.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
You're so against hipsters that it almost makes you some kind of weird anti-hipster hipster. It's really odd.
I'd like to become an anti-anti-hipster hipster, but I'm worried that we'll be in too many layers deep and the dream will become unstable.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I'd like to become an anti-anti-hipster hipster, but I'm worried that we'll be in too many layers deep and the dream will become unstable.

LOL!

And as to how WA is hipster, have you watched his movies? Or more tellingly, have you seen his fans?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Or more tellingly, have you seen his fans?

Have you seen the fans of Pixar movies? They're by far the worst. They're loud, hyperactive and stupid. Pretty sure most of them couldn't even pass an 8th grade math exam, and probably still wet the bed! A lot of them can barely even speak properly. Fuck those people! That's why I've sworn off Pixar for life. ;)

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:50 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:
Ken wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

LOL!

And as to how WA is hipster, have you watched his movies? Or more tellingly, have you seen his fans?

Yes, I've seen his movies. That's why I asked the fucking question! I thought I made that pretty clear in my responses.

But since you've put forth such a thoughtful, logically sound defense of your position, I'll just let this issue go by the wayside.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 am
Assistant Director

I was recently forced to watch ghost world again, which features the only film character that I wish I could jump into the movie and best the shit out of. That character is Enid.

Enid has clinical depression, and she's a sociopath. But that's not why I hate her. I hate her because she's one of those sadistic jerks who hate everything and think being a misanthrope is cool.

I remember in high school where I was essentially forced to sit with a bunch of hipsters (it was them or no one else). They would always go on and on about how little they cared about anything, and if you were excited about something they would tell you every reason why it sucked under the mantra of being realists.

They're annoying because they think that being mentally ill is cool. They think that being a sociopath should be encouraged.

But above all, it's because they allow that fucking ass clown Wes Anderson to keep making those shitty movies and hipsters fall over themselves with praise of it because its the only thing they'll admit to liking.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 am
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
But above all, it's because they allow that fucking ass clown Wes Anderson to keep making those shitty movies and hipsters fall over themselves with praise of it because its the only thing they'll admit to liking.

Not 100% sure what makes a hipster tick. I only know so much about this "culture" anyway. I have seen only a few here in Europe and they looked like they copied all the stuff (glasses, hairdo, t-shirts, vintage sneakers..) from movies and the Web.

I have the idea that true (in the sense of living the entire program, complete with attitude, non-taste and outfit) hipsters want to hate everything, but what they really hate is themselves. I guess there are no babes and hunks (or truly charismatic people who happen to be good looking, for that matter) amongst the hipster "community".
Sure, it's very likely much more complex that that, and I admit I don't no s*** about psychology, but I guess this whole ultra-cynical view of the world is nothing but good old frustration hidden underneath a pre-fab pseudo counter-culture because these guys never will be cool or "popular".

I agree with you: promoting this kind of B.S. "culture" is a very bad idea.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 am
Producer

I am under the impression that the difference between hipster and non-hipster is that a non-hipster likes stuff because he thinks it's interesting, whereas a hipster likes stuff because he thinks it makes him more interesting.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I was once accused of being a hipster based on what I was wearing...jeans, Doc Martens, a hoodie under a peacoat and my eyeglasses (which I need to see). That's all it took. I still am not sure what the eff a hipster is.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I am under the impression that the difference between hipster and non-hipster is that a non-hipster likes stuff because he thinks it's interesting, whereas a hipster likes stuff because he thinks it makes him more interesting.

That's a really good quote

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 pm
Assistant Director

YOU MUST HAVE DIALOGUE IN YOUR MOVIES! Body language ENHANCES a character, it doesn't MAKE a character. Staring off into space is not deep. This means YOU, Steve McQueen...pretentious dick.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Characters cannot be defined by the most random quirks a writer can come up with, a deadpan antisocial misfit is a deadpan antisocial misfit no matter what he's obsessed with.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
YOU MUST HAVE DIALOGUE IN YOUR MOVIES! Body language ENHANCES a character, it doesn't MAKE a character. Staring off into space is not deep. This means YOU, Steve McQueen...pretentious dick.

If you don't see moments of brilliance (moments, mind you -- you don't have to love it overall) in Hunger, there's no hope for you

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:01 am
Assistant Director

Oh there were. The scene with Michael fassbender and Liam Cunningham was incredible. Everything else sucked

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next