Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Talk about whatever, version 1.0. 
Post Re: Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The units don't

Month/Day/Year makes no sense.

Months are 1-12
Days are 1-30
Years are 1-2012+

They ascend!

Makes sense to me.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:56 am
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The units don't

Months are 1-12
Days are 1-30
Years are 1-2012+

They ascend!

In about a week it will be 9/1/12. The next day will be 9/2/12. After that, 9/3/12. So, they don't always ascend.

Day/Month/Year makes the most sense. Days make up months, months make up years. It's a pretty logical progression from one level to the next. For some reason, America doesn't do this.

EDIT: That doesn't mean I'm not totally confused for a second or two when I read 24/8/12.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 pm
Cinematographer

I like the month first order just to easily tell at a glance the volumes when looking at a list. Almost everything in my business is tallied by the month, but lists aren't always sorted that way. The computer does't care, but it helps my visual perception to have the month up front.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:27 pm
Remember when I posted about these guys? I guess I'm in their band now.

They have to consult with the guys who weren't there at the time (I believe this will make them an eight-piece ensemble at this point), but assuming that works out, I'll have something new and interesting to do with my life.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:46 am
Leif Ericson. Marco Polo. Ferdinand Magellan. James Cook. Neil Armstrong.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:37 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The units don't

Months are 1-12
Days are 1-30
Years are 1-2012+

They ascend!

They mostly ascend in number.

But I prefer them to ascend in unit size.

Day is shortest, then month, then year.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 am
Holy cow guys!

A year and a half ago, I'd never heard of the MTB club I joined last summer. Five months ago, I was elected to the board in the position of Vice President. "What the hey!", I thought. I'd joined to "give back" to the great organization that had built trails and events in my area.
Why do they need a 'board' or offices?
As a 501(c)3 non-profit corp they could enter into agreements with various public or private land managers and be permitted to build trails. It also created a fund generating body where the group could buy equipment, like rakes, shovels, DR Mower, Skidsteer, and a mini-backhoe unit and trailer for it all. By incorporating, we also gained cred when asking for donations to activities or events.

Well, a few weeks ago the president resigned leaving me with the reins of a group of about 90 to lead in about a half dozen trail development projects. A couple weeks ago I had four evenings worth of meetings with 3 different public elected committees and 2 project committes. It turns out the President is a bit of a lightning rod (the last Pres helped with that) but that's something I'm used to. User conflicts, internal club strife, changing goals of municipalities and basic growing pains all find their way to the top. You'd think a "bike club" would just ride bikes, but damn, there's SO much more to be done. We're drafting a proposal for the Fed Energy Regulatory Commission right now that, hopefully, will permit us to take over maintenance of a semi-urban trails network on some public utility lands. As someone who's drafted mountains of legal documents, this will be kind of fun for me and the gentleman I'm working with. Turns out, not all the 'heavy lifting' involves boulders or muscles.
I hope I am up for this as it promises to be an exciting year (duration of term). It's cut into movie-viewing time a bit as well... but I guess that's part of "giving back", right?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The units don't

Months are 1-12
Days are 1-30
Years are 1-2012+

They ascend!

In about a week it will be 9/1/12. The next day will be 9/2/12. After that, 9/3/12. So, they don't always ascend.

Day/Month/Year makes the most sense. Days make up months, months make up years. It's a pretty logical progression from one level to the next. For some reason, America doesn't do this.

EDIT: That doesn't mean I'm not totally confused for a second or two when I read 24/8/12.

Come on Pete. My system ascends more than yours does. In the US system there are only 1-12 days, depending on the month, where the second number is lower than the first.

Now your point about X making up Y making up Z is a good one, I admit, but the US system also is advantageous in the way that it corresponds to the way we notate days in speech and writing. We say "January 2nd, 2013" not "2 January 2013", so 1/2/13 makes sense there

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
We say "January 2nd, 2013" not "2 January 2012", so 1/2/13 makes sense there

Not in the military you don't....learned that the third day of my job where us then-interns took a Marine Acculturation course. I find myself typing day month at work...but not saying, yet.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 pm
Patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
We say "January 2nd, 2013" not "2 January 2012", so 1/2/13 makes sense there

Not in the military you don't....learned that the third day of my job where us then-interns took a Marine Acculturation course. I find myself typing day month at work...but not saying, yet.

The computer programmer in me prefers year, month, day...much easier to sort and compare when you don't have a native "date field" handy. Of course in general I prefer the US month, day, year notation, but when I'm dealing with those limeys in our UK offices (no offense NotHugh), I try to type like "12-Sep" whenever possible so we're all on the same page.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Come on Pete. My system ascends more than yours does. In the US system there are only 1-12 days, depending on the month, where the second number is lower than the first.

Now your point about X making up Y making up Z is a good one, I admit, but the US system also is advantageous in the way that it corresponds to the way we notate days in speech and writing. We say "January 2nd, 2013" not "2 January 2013", so 1/2/13 makes sense there

I was just pointing out that your system doesn't always ascend. In fact, somewhere around 20% of the time it doesn't. And again, I use your system whenever I write the date. It's just when I think about it, the other one makes a lot of sense.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 am
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I was just pointing out that your system doesn't always ascend. In fact, somewhere around 20% of the time it doesn't. And again, I use your system whenever I write the date. It's just when I think about it, the other one makes a lot of sense.

I think it'd be nice if most of us (if not everyone) could agree on just *one* method for writing out dates in numerical format. I personally don't care except for having to sometimes ask others which method they were using just in case.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm
Not a bad night. Worked late, got hit on by some sistas, chatted with a girl who had a question about city parking that I could have answered on the spot, but got her email address instead. Currently having a beer, eating some Chinese-style vegetables and rice, writing music for my new band, probably going to watch some cartoons.

I have both JL/JLU and Superman: the Animated Series, as well as some Futurama. Choices...

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 am
Blarg. Some rants and raves, hots and nots, or whatever you want to call it...

So my grandmother has breast cancer. It was looking easily treatable at first, but now it's looking a bit more complicated. The thing that really concerns me is that the doctors have also noticed a lymph node that they describe as "suspicious". I know the world has had her for 72 years and I've had her for 27 of them, but I'm not ready to see her go yet.

And, without getting into the specifics, the break-up has gone fairly smoothly until yesterday. Ex-GF and I haven't yet decided on the ultimate fate of our living arrangement, but she used a really minor and completely unrelated disagreement as a pretext for suggesting that I move out... via text message while I was in the middle of band practice. I don't think I'm out of line for thinking that this was a shitty and inappropriate thing to do.

Mind you, while I'm not absolutely adamant about staying put, I also don't see why I should have to leave and I'm not in a hurry to do so. It's not wise to test my stubbornness, especially given the other stuff I have on my mind lately.

Onto the good stuff,

I have a good job opportunity coming my way. A real, career-type job opportunity. There are no guarantees, but my education qualifies me for it, the work is right up my alley, and the company manages two radio stations of which I have a fairly decent listener's knowledge. Hopefully they find me as awesome as I think I am when they consider me.

Also, I'll be playing my first show with my new band on the 12th. It's an out of town show, in a city where two of my high school friends (and former bandmates) currently live and work, so it'll be great to see them again. I'm currently working my way through the considerable challenge of weaving new parts into already-finished compositions that already feature an elaborate ensemble as it is. This is one of those good challenges that's fun to chew on.

Also, I bought myself a new gadget: a USB adapter that accepts two Sega Genesis controllers. It's time to round up some buddies for some Street Fighter shenanigans.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:10 pm
Producer

You probably don't want my opinion, but here is it anyway - as long as your finances are stable enough, let have the house/apartment. Or to give it a new name - "relationship graveyard".

A psychological clean break.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 am
I understand where you're coming from. I've been there. But this is not there. Furthermore, this house is my home and I like it here.

I also understand that by not volunteering to leave, I forfeit the right to bitch about any potential drama that crops up as a result of my staying... but like that ever stopped anyone. This is America. Bitching is one of the basic human rights the Constitution, right between guns and hamburgers.

She has since apologized for the text message, so at least she recognizes the shittiness of it.

---

Grandmother update: her double mastectomy is a week from tomorrow. That doesn't address the "suspicious" lymph node, but I guess it's one problem at a time. Or two, for that matter.

I wish I could say that this is an act of God or an unfortunate result of bad family history, but she owes a good deal of her current bad health to the decisions she's made during her lifetime. She has led a fairly sedentary lifestyle, had a poor diet, and was also a habitual smoker starting at 15, not quitting until about a decade ago.

I guess what I want to say to my ReelViews people is this: treat your bodies with respect. There's no guarantee that it'll ensure good health in your later years, but at least you'll be doing what you can to stack the deck in your favor. I know a lot of people in my age group who smoke, get severely fucked up all the time, eat shitty food, don't exercise, et cet'ry. Their mentality is that they want to enjoy their lives now, even if it means not living as long. But the thing is, you might still end up living long, but you're much more likely to be a miserable physical wreck when that happens. You're not just shaving years off your life. You're shaving good health off the years you have left. So don't do that shit.

For fuck's sake.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:

Their mentality is that they want to enjoy their lives now, even if it means not living as long. But the thing is, you might still end up living long, but you're much more likely to be a miserable physical wreck when that happens. You're not just shaving years off your life. You're shaving good health off the years you have left. So don't do that shit.

Good advice Ken. I've always lived believing quality of life trumps quantity - and still do. But a couple of years ago I found myself, at the relatively young age of 47, facing a quadruple bypass with a wife, a seven year old son, and a four year old daughter all looking at me and wondering how they were going to make it without dad. I'm quite sure they would have got along without me, but the consequences of choices I made early in life almost screwed up their lives considerably. Fortunately all has gone well and I hope to see the kids through adulthood, but unless you plan to be a singular entity for your whole life, don't assume the consequences are only on you.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:23 am
CasualDad wrote:
Ken wrote:

Their mentality is that they want to enjoy their lives now, even if it means not living as long. But the thing is, you might still end up living long, but you're much more likely to be a miserable physical wreck when that happens. You're not just shaving years off your life. You're shaving good health off the years you have left. So don't do that shit.

Good advice Ken. I've always lived believing quality of life trumps quantity - and still do. But a couple of years ago I found myself, at the relatively young age of 47, facing a quadruple bypass with a wife, a seven year old son, and a four year old daughter all looking at me and wondering how they were going to make it without dad. I'm quite sure they would have got along without me, but the consequences of choices I made early in life almost screwed up their lives considerably. Fortunately all has gone well and I hope to see the kids through adulthood, but unless you plan to be a singular entity for your whole life, don't assume the consequences are only on you.

My aunt and grandmother(and some of my distant relatives) have been smokers for practically they're entire lives, so i'm around smoke a lot, and I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to ever touch the stuff. My family also has a rather dark history with alcoholism, so needless to say, I NEVER want to get drunk even a little bit for as long as I live.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 am
Producer

I give up smoking at 22 and have severly cut down on my alcohol consumption, despite the odd boozy night.

I used to smoke about 10 a day and drink probably the equivelent of 10 bottles of wine a week at one point. I wasn't and I'm not an alcoholic, it's just that the working class communities of Northern England are hard drinking. That was the culture for 20-something lads. A typical Saturday would be wake up at 10am, after 2 bottles of wine the night before, hit the pub early afternoon and drink through until the early hours of the next morning. Maybe 15 or 20 drinks in that time. Stupid shit really!

Anyhow, 3 years ago I found myself busy at work, appoaching my post-graduate degree finals, and had the small matter of an 8 month pregant wife. One day I actually thought to myself how well I was coping with it all, then one Friday afternoon had what I 100% thought was a heart attack. I was out getting some fresh air and just ended up lying down in a field for an hour like some kind of lunatic, until I calmed down and managed to convince myself that I was in fact OK.

I went to the Doctors and had the whole matrix of tests only to be diagnosed with acute anxiety; or a "panic attack" in other words. At one time I would have been embarrased to have admitted that but not now. Your health is your wealth and I was terrified at the time. Wake up call!

Oddly a friend of mine went throught something similar 12 months later. Probably had something to do with years of smashing the hell out the drink. I'm no wreck by any stretch of the imagination, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if I have inflicted some kind of limited damage to myself.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 am
Assistant Director

If you haven't checked out Coursera yet, do so. It's free and intensive and maybe you'll learn something.

https://www.coursera.org/#category/music

The first class listed, "The Language of Hollywood: Storytelling, Sound, and Color", is free through Wesleyan. Take a look.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:59 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next