Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Nash to the Lakers. Wow!

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 am
Second Unit Director

Wow! Color me excited. Although I have no idea why the Lakers have this habit of picking up incredible guards who are close to calling it a day (Gary Payton anyone???). A nice take on the trade: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-o ... ash-lakers

Look, I think it's a good move. In fact, I thought Ramon Sessions was a great signing as well. The first few games he turned out, I was really excited. He bought a lot of energy to the Lakers that we had been lacking for a long time. He had immediate impact though the chemistry still needs to be worked out. Nash will help out a great deal in that regard as well. For a while when I was watching the NBA regularly, Nash was my favorite guard. Period. He may be old but there's no substitute for experience and he has bucket loads of it. I am really excited for next season.

As for the Bynum for Howard move that has really caught up this post-season, here's what I feel. I've never really warmed up to Bynum. I think he's a great ball playing center, probably the best in the league. However, there are still huge question marks over his fitness. And the OKC series was eye-opening for me. When Kobe needed the support of the big men the most, both Gasol and Bynum went missing. These guys should produce when it really matters most and there's also a question mark over whether Bynum can produce that regularly. If those question marks are answered, then, yes, I'd love Bynum staying. Howard may have acted like a dick, but he's also quality. I'd be really surprised if that move ever pans out but I'd be open to it as well.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Nash, Kobe, Artest, Gasol, Dwight.

Not too shabby.

As Danno is quick to point out, people will overrate the Lakers. That's just how it works. But in this case, did they just legitimately make the leap to legit title contenders? Absolutely they did.

And you know what? It could be dominating. No, they won't be super deep. But IF (and it's a big, giant, Greg-Oden's-penis-sized if) everyone (including Dwight) agrees that it's best for Dwight to do nothing but patrol the paint and collect alley-oops and rebounds and Kobe agrees to do nothing but spot up (which he's supremely gifted at) and attack the weak side (which he can still do)... I mean, who's stopping them? They have the top 2 Big Guys for running the high pick-and-roll, Gasol and Dwight compliment each other as perfectly as two big men ever have, and a healthy and spry Nash, who is perhaps the player most equipped to run this sort of team.

Could it all blow up? Of course. Three guys could have major injuries inside of a week. Kobe and Dwight could forget what they're bad at and take turns cursing big games with their egos. But all Kobe hatred aside, never forget that he cares immensely about history and his place in it... and he's smart enough to know that getting to six rings is all that matters... no one will care if he was the third-best player during the sixth title run.

To be clear on one final point: Dwight is not the player Lebron is. Lebron's title was inevitable, Dwight's still doesn't feel that way. But this could be an incredibly entertaining, and at times dominating team. It could also be the ugliest thing ever.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 pm
Shade wrote:
Gasol and Dwight compliment each other as perfectly as two big men ever have

I would love to see a Blu-ray disc of this happening.

"Haiiii Pau :) That beard is looking *SO* hawt ;)"
"Muchas Gracias Senorrrrrrr. Tu eres muy fuerte como Superman"

In all seriousness, these pieces are better put together than the Miami Heat. The Heat won despite their players being such an ill fit. That's not the case here. Dwight is a much better defender than Bynum and will really help LA's defense.

I'm not that convinced about Nash though. I think he's one of the best ever when pushing the pace, but I'm not entirely convinced of how he good he is in the half court. Either way, LAL are serious contenders again. Which sucks. Big time. I hope that bastard ram1312 happy.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:42 pm
Shade wrote:
And you know what? It could be dominating. No, they won't be super deep. But IF (and it's a big, giant, Greg-Oden's-penis-sized if) everyone (including Dwight) agrees that it's best for Dwight to do nothing but patrol the paint and collect alley-oops and rebounds and Kobe agrees to do nothing but spot up (which he's supremely gifted at) and attack the weak side (which he can still do)... I mean, who's stopping them? They have the top 2 Big Guys for running the high pick-and-roll, Gasol and Dwight compliment each other as perfectly as two big men ever have, and a healthy and spry Nash, who is perhaps the player most equipped to run this sort of team.

Agreed on all points, especially the Lebron/Dwight comparison. Even if it doesn't completely work, they're still going to be damn good. They just have too much talent in that starting 5 to not be one of the top 3 teams in the West.

I mean, who are their biggest threats in their conference? It's gotta be San Antonio and OKC, right? Their biggest problem against either team was their inability to stop Parker or Westbrook. When they signed Nash, they actually got worst in that regard, which made getting Howard absolutely essential if they really wanted to compete. Howard has the ability to neutralize either guy, because both of them make their living getting into the paint and either scoring or setting someone up.

In other words, Howard can completely cover up their most glaring on-court weakness against their main competition. That's a HUGE deal for a team that was already one of the 3 best in their conference. Oh yeah, and they're much better offensively with Howard and Nash than they were with Bynum and whatever poo-poo platter they were throwing out at PG for the last few years.

That said, they aren't going to be deep at all, which could lead to major minutes for the starting 5. Nash or Kobe could easily break down if that happens. If they become a team that's consistently only trotting 3 or 4 of those guys out every night, things could get pretty ugly. There's certainly risk involved, but if they're all healthy when the playoffs roll around, they're going to be a really, really tough out.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am
The Heat are one Dwyane Wade injury from being inferior to OKC (and are even now a few notches of improvement by Westbrook and the big men of the Thunder to being inferior, anyways), and the Lakers' title chances all rest on - Kobe learning how to play with a legit PG, Nash playing dazzling playoff basketball (he's never even BEEN to a Finals), Dwight being both entirely healthy and more importantly, being willing and/or able to lead the team in their moments of weakness (and there will be many through various points of the season). Obviously if the Lakers keep their flaws on the short side and learn how to congeal, then they will be a powerful favorite to win it all, but I don't really love Dwight for Bynum, nor did I love them bolstering the Nuggets, a team that nearly KO'd them playing the smallest of small ball, with one of the league's premier defenders in Iguodala.

Now, obviously Dwight is better than Bynum. He's more consistent and brings grade A defense every night. But in basketball, what works isn't always, or even often, a linear equation. For one thing, Bynum is a better offensive player than Dwight, can nail his free throws, and caused the Celtics fits late in games when they boxed out Gasol, shut down Kobe, and Bynum hit late mid-ranger jumpers in response. With Dwight, the C's know they have less to fear from Dwight shooting a mid-range jumper than the Lakers do. Sometimes in the NBA getting a known commodity is better than getting potential benefits, since you KNOW what you are getting as an absolute. For example: obviously Ray Allen is a better player than Jason Terry all-time, but I loved the C's signing Terry and in fact loved Ray Allen leaving, too (even though I have - to many NBAer's delight - started to refer to Ray as Rat Allen, which is just fun and pretty much nothing more. But damn, it's fun) since Terry has known qualities as a bench player, and Ray, despite being the best shooter possibly all-time, does not. Terry's penchant for late-game scoring also compliments the Celtics, whose number one fault last year, by far, was their COMPLETE lack of a fourth quarter presence. They gained almost every one of their L's (and quite a few W's) by letting the gas pedal off entirely over the last 5-10 minutes of play time and playing essentially an NBA veteran version of musical chairs. With Terry, they KNOW they get bench points by the boatload, passionate late-game play, and a guy who is clearly not afraid of (who, in fact, might relish) facing the Miami Heat in Miami. I absolutely loved the move for the Celtics, and here's the thing - although Ray is the better shooter, he doesn't give you a single one of those things. He'll enter the fourth quarter with 12 points and finish with 14. He'll lay dormant for minutes at a time during the game with no concrete cause or purpose. He doesn't seem to have an 'on' and 'off' switch for his intensity that can be clearly defined by any reasonable length. He must be accommodated and figured out by the team playing him moreso than the team facing him. For a Heat team as loaded as this one, that won't be a huge problem - they really only need Ray to spell them and hit opportunistic shots to expand leads and provide cushions - but for a team that needs every quarter to count such as the C's, it is deadly to waste any energy figuring out advantages and weaknesses. Obviously it will hurt emotionally, but unlike Perkinsgate, it will lead to a more efficient and decisive gameplan for the Celtics, and, more importantly, unlike the aforementioned trade, it was initiated by the player, NOT the GM, so the emotional target will not be self-pointed but aimed directly at the Heat. And I don't know if any of you guys noticed, but pissing KG off in the playoffs is probably something to avoid when possible.

How this ties in to Bynum and Howard is that, although Howard will obviously bring the Lakers up to a new level defensively, LA will miss Bynum's offensive presence late in games, and when Howard is clunking free throws (a problem that usually never gets fixed) in the fourth, the Lakers will have created a stinging wound that only a blowout will correct (remember that A LOT of the Lakers' points against OKC in their playoff series were foul-created). If the Lakers come together (rigggght nowww), they should be a deadly team, but there's a bit of an issue with the mindset that Howard will spell C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P for the Lakers when Bynum already did (twice, once against Howard), and Kobe will have TWO new teammates to figure out and adjust to, all the while trying to temper his troubling new tendencies to be the 2012 version of Allen Iverson. The Heat and the Lakers have FAR too much that could go wrong to meaningfully state them as favorites, although I'll give the incumbent champion Heat my vote for favorite to start the new season. But OKC/Boston will both have loud, thunderous things to say about whether or not Miami or LA are even worthy of gracing the Finals. And please, Stephen A Smith, lay off the sauce about the 76ers being the perennial third-best team in the East. Philly is a disaster in the making for Bynum; I'll be stunned if he pulls it all together and has even one superior stat from 2013 compared to 2012. Additionally, for some reason I doubt Bynum will want to re-sign under anything less than championship circumstances.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

That said, they aren't going to be deep at all, which could lead to major minutes for the starting 5. Nash or Kobe could easily break down if that happens. If they become a team that's consistently only trotting 3 or 4 of those guys out every night, things could get pretty ugly. There's certainly risk involved, but if they're all healthy when the playoffs roll around, they're going to be a really, really tough out.

That being said, I'm never going to be excited about the Heat's backups, and they ended up playing a wonderfully significant role in the title run. Also, having Jamison as a bench player? There is some depth if that's even a possibility.

Shade wrote:
To be clear on one final point: Dwight is not the player LeBron is. LeBron's title was inevitable, Dwight's still doesn't feel that way. But this could be an incredibly entertaining, and at times dominating team. It could also be the ugliest thing ever.

I agree that it's by no means inevitable; people don't judge Howard as harshly without a title and he won't 1/10 as lauded as LeBron even with a ring or two. It's just not in the cards for him, and honestly, it probably never was. The one thing that worries me most about Howard's upcoming season is that he comes back not at the start of the season but a quarter of the way through, which is just just an awkward way to adapt to new surroundings, and it could be a nightmare if significant injuries pile up for the Lakers before he gets there (they will, after all, be playing under the assumption Dwight will be plugged in, which will be awkward and possibly hazardous).

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:31 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Either way, LAL are serious contenders again. Which sucks. Big time. I hope that bastard ram1312 happy.

:D

I'll admit to being sort of wowed when I heard the Lakers got Howard, but my immediate thought went what the reaction would be on this thread. Love reading you guys.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:45 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
and the Lakers' title chances all rest on - Kobe learning how to play with a legit PG, Nash playing dazzling playoff basketball (he's never even BEEN to a Finals), Dwight being both entirely healthy and more importantly, being willing and/or able to lead the team in their moments of weakness (and there will be many through various points of the season).

I think the biggest concern out of all 3 of these is Howard accepting his role as defensive leader ala KG. I don't worry about Nash (he's been fine in the many, many playoff games he's played), and Kobe has always has a knack for adjusting his play to suit the team when it matters (I can't stress the when it matters point enough). Howard proved to be a diva this year, so there's no real guarantee that he won't see himself as The Man on this team and start demanding for more touches and all that other nonsense. On paper, he's the perfect piece for the team they've assembled. We'll see how it works out.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
nor did I love them bolstering the Nuggets, a team that nearly KO'd them playing the smallest of small ball, with one of the league's premier defenders in Iguodala.

I'm unconcerned with a team that just paid Javale McGee $44 million to be their starting center against a team with Dwight Howard. I've seen that matchup play out way too many times to even consider them as a threat. Denver will be a fine team, but they're the new Hawks - destined to be a 4-6 seed with a second round ceiling.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Bynum is a better offensive player than Dwight

It's worth mentioning here that Bynum's best season was last year where he scored 18.7 points a game. Howard has 4 seasons where he's averaged at least 20 (and one where he scored almost 23) a game. A lot of that is because he wasn't playing alongside Kobe and Gasol and Orlando's offense could run through Howard. But, that logic goes both ways. Now that he is playing with those guys (and Nash), his efficiency very well could go up since he won't be seeing anywhere near as many double teams. He might not score 20 a game, but if he gets 18 and 14 or 15 with 2 blocks and great defense, he'll be in the top 5 in MVP voting. I think Bynum is a better offensive player, but it's such a slight difference that I think it's more than offset by having Nash run the team.

I agree with everything you say about the C's, Allen, and Terry, but I'd preface all of it with "at this point in Allen's career". How soon we forget how integral Allen was to Boston winning a title and playing for another. As much as I love Terry, and am indifferent to Allen overall, Ray Allen in his prime is a Hall of Famer capable of torching someone like Terry for 30 over and over again. Terry is a great bench player with a knack of stepping up in big moments, but there's no comparison between the 2 overall.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
That being said, I'm never going to be excited about the Heat's backups, and they ended up playing a wonderfully significant role in the title run. Also, having Jamison as a bench player? There is some depth if that's even a possibility.

True, but the Heat have Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. The Lakers do not. They can get away with a short bench easier because they have 2 guys capable of and comfortable with leading a team for parts of a game.

The Heat have 2 alpha dogs who are still learning how to play together. It's easier to have that problem and a short bench because either guy can easily shift into "fuck it, I'm taking over" mode. The Lakers have 1 guy comfortable doing that, and it's arguable whether or not he's capable of it anymore. It's tougher for them to overcome a short bench because of that.

Jamison is little more than a mediocre jump shooting stretch 4 at this point. He'll help to give Gasol a breather because he can fit into the role Ryan Anderson played for Orlando last year. Because, again, Dwight Howard owns the paint and can handle it himself. The kind of advantage that gives a team cannot be overstated.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm
Further evidence that Jason Terry is one of the coolest guys in the league: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/08/13/12/Terry-setting-Celtics-up-for-title-run/msn_landing.html?blockID=774895&feedID=3742

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:42 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I agree with everything you say about the C's, Allen, and Terry, but I'd preface all of it with "at this point in Allen's career". How soon we forget how integral Allen was to Boston winning a title and playing for another. As much as I love Terry, and am indifferent to Allen overall, Ray Allen in his prime is a Hall of Famer capable of torching someone like Terry for 30 over and over again. Terry is a great bench player with a knack of stepping up in big moments, but there's no comparison between the 2 overall.

Oh obviously not all-time, but now? Easily Terry. And that'll be loads more valuable for a C's team with fairly little margin for error against elite teams.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm
Director

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:02 am
Profile WWW
"A few months ago people were talking about how they might be playing some of the best basketball ever winning 20 games in a row."

To be fair, I never did this. I called out the Spurs all postseason long as guys who abused their opponents' free throw shooting deficiencies (ex: the Clippers series), then cried wolf when the Thunder got to the line and didn't miss. You live by the sword, be prepared to die by it. I also, NEVER liked their winning streak; I distrust perfection more than most anything in sports, since it becomes the point instead of simply winning by any means necessary. The Spurs answered their 20 game streak by losing four in a row; in this case, 4 was MUCH bigger than 20.

The Spurs are no older than the Lakers, but they are undeniably less fresh. Timmy, Tony, Manu, their careers are already unmitigated successes. Where else is there to go? What else is there to do? The Spurs are incapable of being hungry. How could they be? They're not as unduely praised as the Bulls, but they are condemned to be settled with their success, since there story couldn't have been more perfect. When there is nothing left to say, only silence can be expected.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:20 pm
Director

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Never liked Jason Terry. Maybe biased on my part but anyone who punches another man in the nuts on purpose is a zero in my book. Terry did it to Michael Finley in the playoffs during 2007 I believe. And he got a trophy tattooed on his arm before he even won a title.

Chris Paul punched Steve Blake in the nuts on purpose in college. Is he a zero? It's basketball, guys get fired up and sometimes make mistakes. I think it's more than a little unfair to hold such an isolated incident against anyone. As for the tattoo, he also said he'd have it removed if the Mavs didn't win that year. But they did, so he kept it. Having that kind of confidence in yourself and your teammates is pretty awesome, to me.

DunkinDan89 wrote:
Bynum is having a love affair with Philly. I don't see why he wouldn't want to resign there. Where else is he going to go, CLEVELAND?!

Come on, Dan. Let's at least wait until he plays ONE GAME before you start saying there's no reason for him not to resign. If you don't think there's a pretty good chance a moody, injury prone, immature diva like Bynum could implode in a city like Philly where he's The Man for the first time, I think you're turning a blind eye to everything we've seen from Bynum so far in his career. And you're ignoring the kind of sports town Philly is.

DunkinDan89 wrote:
Philly is loaded with talent up and down the board, and as someone who lists the Sixers as their 2nd favorite team, the front office did a heckuva job getting him here.

Outside of Bynum and Thad Young, I don't see anyone on their roster who's even above average. Letting Lou Williams walk in favor of Nick Young was about as dumb a decision as a team could make. Who's going to start at PF? Hawes? Give me a break. He's over 7 feet and has trouble guarding 5s. He'll get eaten alive trying to guard 4s. Holiday is solid, but he's a middle of the pack starting PG in the NBA. There's nothing special about him.

I think they're likely a playoff team, but I don't see them making any real noise in the playoffs. Getting Bynum was nice, but folks are forgetting the kind of impact Iggy, Brand, and Lou Williams had for them last year. Getting Bynum and losing those 3 is a sideways move if you ask me. And that's assuming Bynum is healthy and focused, neither of which he has a long track record of being.

EDIT: Fixed quotes

Last edited by PeachyPete on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:21 am
Purely as a Celtics fan, I have no problem with Bynum in Philly. In fact, I actually love the Sixers tearing up their blanket-style team formation and putting all their marbles in Bynum (pardon my Belgian, but they are FUCKED). What made me piss FIRE about the Lakers for the past few years was that, when we would cover Gasol and Kobe, Bynum could kill us for a mid-range shot or late free throws.

Not anymore.

Now there's no Iggy to shoot corner 3's and hit clutch shots against us in Philly, no class D on the wing. No more Lakers-Celtics games where the other team has three capable All-Star vying for a shot. No more having to worry about a center who could actually nail clutch FTs at as good a pace as KG.

And if the Celtics have always been good at something, it's been ruining Dwight Howard's life. Now Dwight has to score late against the C's, and possibly through FTs and jumpshots? I may be wrong, but I think the mega-blockbuster could work out very well for a Celtics team that very clearly defines its own limits of success and failure.

Oh, and btw, my sleeper team is officially the Hornets. They will definitely be fantastic in two years, but... Why not now? I love what has happened for them over the past few months. I REALLY want to see how they play next season.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:28 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Hey guys, anyone feel like doing a fantasy league this year?

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:54 am
Cinematographer

MunichMan wrote:
Hey guys, anyone feel like doing a fantasy league this year?

I'd love to! I didn't get a chance to defend my title last year, so I'm still considering myself the defending champion. Or, at least the defending champion once removed. Either way, I'll beat the shit out of all of you!

I'm in, Munich is in, and Dan asked me about fantasy bball on Facebook a week or so ago. I'll round up Shade, Phil, and Ed on Facebook as well. That's 6. It would be nice if we could get 10, but that's probably a pipe dream on Reelviews. 8 would be solid and probably doable. Let's do this!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Second Unit Director

As I said via F-book, I'm in on Fantasy.

I mentioned this last year and didn't end up doing it, but I think I am gonna post stuff about the team I coach on here. We do a fairly extensive preseason scouting report on our own guys for prep work and I might just post that whole thing on here. It may not be of interest, but we'll see. We're heading into an exciting year. Practices start in less than two weeks and I'm beyond excited.

As for the NBA... bring it on! Although honestly, excited as I am to see all the new faces in new places, starting at Christmas was not the worst thing in the world last year. I read a Grantland (I think) piece recently that talked about how Boston plans on rolling out a variety of lineups against Miami in the regular season just to feel out the matchups they can have in the playoffs. That's great strategy, but it doesn't make for massively meaningful regular-season games. Now, all the "new" teams with new lineups (such as the Lakers) have a lot more reason to figure things out early in the season, but nothing really means anything until the playoffs. Which has always been true, of course; maybe I'm just getting old. Regardless, I am excited for the year to start.

Kinda related: what do you all think of the notion that Bron might jump ship after 2014? Wade might be hanging it up then or close to it. Simmons made the point of Bron being a Dynasty in the sense we've never seen in jumping between teams but keeps on winning rings. We'll see.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 121  Next