Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By 
Author Message
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
Savages was shallower than a kiddie pool
I love this.

I love you.


Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 am
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Savages was shallower than a kiddie pool
I love this.

I love you.


Nyaw thanks Ken! Wubbies all around

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1230
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Savages was shallower than a kiddie pool
I love this.

I love you.


Nyaw thanks Ken! Wubbies all around

I've actually been using that phrase for years, but it's never come up in these forums. :oops:


Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:35 am
Profile
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
H.I. McDonough wrote:
I've actually been using that phrase for years, but it's never come up in these forums. :oops:

You missed out, McDonough. You put your eggs in the wrong basket.

Or you put the wrong eggs in the right basket. I don't know.


Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:14 pm
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Just saw Woody #27 - To Rome with Love , which is either his worst film to date or his second worst behind You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. A complete failure in storytelling and comedy, it was a misfire in every way really. Avoid.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am
Profile
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
Just saw Woody #27 - To Rome with Love , which is either his worst film to date or his second worst behind You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. A complete failure in storytelling and comedy, it was a misfire in every way really. Avoid.


I had heard this one was bad, and if it's as bad as You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, then I might avoid it altogether. Although, this ties is at 27 Woody's apiece. I'm watching Alice or Another Woman tonight, dammit.


Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Just saw Woody #27 - To Rome with Love , which is either his worst film to date or his second worst behind You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. A complete failure in storytelling and comedy, it was a misfire in every way really. Avoid.


I had heard this one was bad, and if it's as bad as You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, then I might avoid it altogether. Although, this ties is at 27 Woody's apiece. I'm watching Alice or Another Woman tonight, dammit.


Oh I love Another Woman! So underrated in his filmography

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1443
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
are you counting New York Stories and Don't Drink the Water? including those I've seen 41. I guess that's the most I've seen by any director, thought Hitchcock would top that.


Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm
Profile
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
calvero wrote:
are you counting New York Stories and Don't Drink the Water? including those I've seen 41. I guess that's the most I've seen by any director, thought Hitchcock would top that.


I haven't seen either one. I wouldn't count Don't Drink the Water in, as that was a TV movie. New York Stories I'm up in the air on, but I usually don't count anthology films. By my count, he's made 42 features. That means you've seen 39 of them by my count. Which ones haven't you seen? Here's the "official" 42:

What's Up, Tiger Lily?
Take the Money and Run
Bananas
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex*(*But Were Afraid to Ask)
Sleeper
Love and Death
Annie Hall
Interiors
Manhattan
Stardust Memories
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Zelig
Broadway Danny Rose
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Hannah and Her Sisters
Radio Days
September
Another Woman
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Alice
Shadows and Fog
Husbands and Wives
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Bullets Over Broadway
Mighty Aphrodite
Everyone Says I Love You
Deconstructing Harry
Celebrity
Sweet and Lowdown
Small Time Crooks
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Hollywood Ending
Anything Else
Melinda and Melinda
Match Point
Scoop
Cassandra's Dream
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Whatever Works
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Midnight in Paris
To Rome with Love


Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1443
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Anything Else
Melinda and Melinda
To Rome with Love


Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
calvero wrote:
Anything Else
Melinda and Melinda
To Rome with Love


I hear terrible things about the first two and I say terrible things about the last one

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2021
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Just saw Woody #27 - To Rome with Love , which is either his worst film to date or his second worst behind You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. A complete failure in storytelling and comedy, it was a misfire in every way really. Avoid.


I had heard this one was bad, and if it's as bad as You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, then I might avoid it altogether. Although, this ties is at 27 Woody's apiece. I'm watching Alice or Another Woman tonight, dammit.


Oh I love Another Woman! So underrated in his filmography


Alice, on the other hand, is one of his worst.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:47 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
calvero wrote:
Anything Else
Melinda and Melinda
To Rome with Love


I hear terrible things about the first two and I say terrible things about the last one


Anything else isnt bad. It isn't good, really. Better than Small Time Crooks.

Syd Henderson wrote:
Alice, on the other hand, is one of his worst.


It's more Woody Allen in his Respectful Reference mode, a retelling of Juliet of the Spirits. The performances are good but I usually dislike Mia Farrow as his lead.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Mark III wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
calvero wrote:
Anything Else
Melinda and Melinda
To Rome with Love


I hear terrible things about the first two and I say terrible things about the last one


Anything else isnt bad. It isn't good, really. Better than Small Time Crooks.

Syd Henderson wrote:
Alice, on the other hand, is one of his worst.


It's more Woody Allen in his Respectful Reference mode, a retelling of Juliet of the Spirits. The performances are good but I usually dislike Mia Farrow as his lead.


I would like to see your list of directors btw Mark

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:14 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
This is my first draft of such a list:

Woody Allen - 36
Ingmar Bergman - 29
Martin Scorsese - 19
Steven Soderbergh - 18
Steven Spielberg - 18
Alfred Hitchcock - 17
The Brothers Coen - 15
Francis Ford Coppola - 15
Clint Eastwood - 15
Akira Kurosawa - 14
Brian De Palma - 13
Wim Wenders - 10

I know I've left many off. But I've got some other stuff to get to and will hopefully remind myself to update this.
Kubrick just misses the list with only 9, Zemeckis with the same number. I figured I'd seen everything by David Lynch but learned that I still have some stuff left. That should be fun.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 am
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Mark III wrote:
This is my first draft of such a list:

Woody Allen - 36
Ingmar Bergman - 29
Martin Scorsese - 19
Steven Soderbergh - 18
Steven Spielberg - 18
Alfred Hitchcock - 17
The Brothers Coen - 15
Francis Ford Coppola - 15
Clint Eastwood - 15
Akira Kurosawa - 14
Brian De Palma - 13
Wim Wenders - 10

I know I've left many off. But I've got some other stuff to get to and will hopefully remind myself to update this.
Kubrick just misses the list with only 9, Zemeckis with the same number. I figured I'd seen everything by David Lynch but learned that I still have some stuff left. That should be fun.


Yeah watching more Lynch should be a blast. I think I'm going to finish off my Coens filmography this year too. Surprised at your (proportionately) low Hitchcock totals. Clearly you haven't slogged your way through the Torn Curtains and Saboteurs of the world. On the other hand, you're a Bergman master

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
I was surprised at my low Hitchcock number, too. I always like slotting in time for his films and have absolutely no reasonable explanation why I have seen American Wedding but not some of his more well-regarded features.

The only holes in the Lynch filmography are Dune (though I've seen bits and pieces) and The Elephant Man (again, bits and such). There are many filmmakers on my I've Neglected These Guys Too Long Though I've Seen Some of Their Work list. Antonioni and rejected-by-the-forum Godard could comfortably fit on that list.

I've seen very few silent movies and believe that I lack some of the education required to appreciate them. Experience would help but that sounds like work and, well, I already had tickets to American Wedding. It wasn't any good.

There are so many movies on my list now that I'd be wise to edit it down or, radically, start anew.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 am
Profile
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Akira Kurosawa - 23
Werner Herzog -16
The Brothers Coen - 14
Steven Spielberg - 12
Stanley Kubrick - 12
Martin Scorsese - 11
Federico Fellini - 10
Ingmar Bergman - 10
Steven Soderbergh - 10
Hayao Miyazaki - 10

I also had a fair number of 9s, though I only remember Chaplin and Hitchcock. Also, Josef von Sternberg had a rousing 8, which I mention solely because it's sort of novel.


Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:33 am
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2021
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
revised

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Last edited by Syd Henderson on Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 am, edited 4 times in total.



Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:01 am
Profile
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
Syd Henderson wrote:
A couple more directors make the list
22 Steven Spielberg (23 if you count Duel)
22 Woody Allen (including What's Up Tiger Lily?
18 Alfred Hitchcock
15 Martin Scorsese
13 Joel & Ethan Coen (+.05 for their section of Paris Je T'Aime)
Blake Edwards
Ridley Scott
Robert Zemeckis
12 Tim Burton
Clint Eastwood
Buster Keaton
Ernst Lubitsch
11 Ron Howard
Akira Kurosawa
10 F. W. Murnau
Hayao Miyazaki
Herbert Ross
Howard Hawks
William Wellman
Billy Wilder
9 or 10: John Ford (I'm not sure if I've seen Cheyenne Autumn.)

#10 for Billy Wilder is Sabrina. #10 for Murnau is The Haunted Castle.


Oh Christ I'm probably going to have to add Blake Edwards for all the damn Pink Panther movies

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr