Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
Talk about whatever, version 1.0. 
Producer

Post Re: Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
What I am saying is that Romney's belief in God basically mistakes cause for effect and since he is running to be the most powerful man in the western world, he should expect people to point this out.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am
Cinematographer

Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am
JamesKunz wrote:
If we're talking about whatever, I would like to mention that I find cooked carrots gross. Mushy consistency sucks

I'm having cooked carrots with my lunch and they are spectacular. Although, one just burnt the roof of my mouth so I'm not that particular carrot's biggest fan.

Speaking of food consistency, I don't eat coconut or drink orange juice with pulp because their consistency reminds me of vomit. It grosses me even thinking about injesting one of those two horrible things.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
If we're talking about whatever, I would like to mention that I find cooked carrots gross. Mushy consistency sucks

Check them every so often, then take them off the heat and uncover as soon as they're fork tender. If you're preparing them with other vegetables, you may be putting them in too early.

Vexer wrote:
Long as we're on the topic of vegetables, I hate mushrooms, broccoli and asparagus more then any other food.

Mushrooms tend to take on the flavors of the food they're prepared with, so they're best used with that in mind. They're pretty good on pizza and in pasta.

I'm not a big fan of broccoli or asparagus, but steamed broccoli is pretty terrific in a vegetable stew and sauteed broccoli is good in Chinese food.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Speaking of food consistency, I don't eat coconut or drink orange juice with pulp because their consistency reminds me of vomit. It grosses me even thinking about injesting one of those two horrible things.

It sounds like you had bad experiences after getting hammered on pina coladas and screwdrivers. I hate tequila for the same reason- those were the worst vomiting sessions I ever had aside from the time that I drank a flat of beer in 20 minutes. Waking up vomiting is not fun even if you were face-down when passing out.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:43 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

It sounds like you had bad experiences after getting hammered on pina coladas and screwdrivers. I hate tequila for the same reason- those were the worst vomiting sessions I ever had aside from the time that I drank a flat of beer in 20 minutes. Waking up vomiting is not fun even if you were face-down when passing out.

That's exactly why I don't drink any alcohol period, nothing about being drunk looks or sounds the least bit appealing to me.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm
Don't drink... too much.

I think I've vomited four or five times in seven years from drinking.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Ken wrote:
Don't drink... too much.

It's not the vomiting part that worries me, it's the possiblity of blacking out and doing things you might regret that i'm concerned about, plus i'd rather not have to deal with a hangover.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:26 pm
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
Don't drink... too much.

It's not the vomiting part that worries me, it's the possiblity of blacking out and doing things you might regret that i'm concerned about, plus i'd rather not have to deal with a hangover.

But if you drink just enough, you can have loads of fun AND remember it! Some of the best nights of my life happened when I was drunk. Of course then I always drank too much...then I always had a wacky mishap like black-out, vomiting and/or making out with some near-random chick. Then I saw an older guy at a party who had all my drunkenisms....and drinking stopped being fun. I've got 13 months of sobriety now.

Funny thing is, my best friend who was the sober one when I was out boozing is now boozing while I stayed the sober one....funny how things work.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 pm
Cinematographer

Patrick wrote:
Then I saw an older guy at a party who had all my drunkenisms....and drinking stopped being fun. I've got 13 months of sobriety now.

I might have been the older guy. :oops: Haven't had a drink in almost 10 years now. I do miss it sometimes though.

Speaking of food textures - I can't stand peach fuzz (something don't quite sound right about that). Never bothered me when I was younger, but now I have to peel them or just buy nectarines instead.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
Don't drink... too much.

But if you drink just enough, you can have loads of fun AND remember it! Some of the best nights of my life happened when I was drunk. Of course then I always drank too much...then I always had a wacky mishap like black-out, vomiting and/or making out with some near-random chick. Then I saw an older guy at a party who had all my drunkenisms....and drinking stopped being fun. I've got 13 months of sobriety now.

Funny thing is, my best friend who was the sober one when I was out boozing is now boozing while I stayed the sober one....funny how things work.

I'm also averse to alcohol because alcoholism runs in my family, two of my relatives died from drinking over the past couple of years, I don't know if I have the gene for alcoholism or not, and i'd really rather not find out the hard way. I'm sure drinking is fun for a lot of people, but I don't like the idea of waking up and not knowing where I am and not remembering anything from last night, there's just too many risk factors involved for me to even consider getting drunk, i'm perfectly fine with tasting alcohol though.

Congradulations on your sobriety BTW.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 pm
Producer

The most time I've gone without a drink since I was 15 years old is 8 weeks. Which was the period encompassing the back end of my Wife's preganancy and the first month of my Daughter's life.

I do drink a lot less now than I used to though. Up until the age of about 24 I was a firm 70 units a week man. Now typically I drink about 10 on average.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:26 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Haha, a strong guess, but not completely accurate. Pina Coladas are much too sweet for me, so I don't drink them. I've probably had less than 3 in my entire life. I drank too much vodka in high school, so I steer clear of that these days, although I did do my fair share of throwing up from it. I just don't really like the texture of coconut or OJ with pulp. I actually like both flavors, just not the disgusting consistency of them. I'll drink the crap out of pulp free OJ.

As for drinking, I was your typical "get fucked up on the weekends" high school kid and drank 3-4 nights a week in college. In other words, I did a whole lot of drinking. Some would probably say I was bordering on being an alcoholic (or maybe even call me one straight up), but it never got to the point where I needed it. I just enjoyed partying. I'm Irish, enjoy alcohol, and can handle it really well (high school aside). Don't get me wrong, I did my fair share of stupid shit and things I regret. I was young, what can I say? I look back on it now and mostly laugh as opposed to being embarrassed.

Now, I only drink on the weekends, and even then it's probably only once a month or so. At 30 (and even at 25), I just find it way too hard to try to get up for work in the morning after even 2 or 3 drinks. I'll occasionally have a beer or a drink if we go out to eat during the week, but I try to stay away from that because at this point one drink puts me to sleep by 830pm.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
The most time I've gone without a drink since I was 15 years old is 8 weeks. Which was the period encompassing the back end of my Wife's preganancy and the first month of my Daughter's life.

I do drink a lot less now than I used to though. Up until the age of about 24 I was a firm 70 units a week man. Now typically I drink about 10 on average.

I don't drink and never have

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 am
This is going to be the best tour of Mars since Jon Osterman took Laurie Juspeczyk around in his flying glass palace.

(I do drink. Tonight, I drink to Curiosity, whose already epic journey has only just begun.)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 am
According to my girlfriend, these are my favorite people:

(actors)

Robert De Niro
Bruce Lee
Jeff Bridges
Steve Buscemi
Scarlett Johansson

(fictional characters)

Superman
Abed, of Community
Michael Corleone
David Bowman
Travis Bickle

(general)

Arthur C. Clarke
Martin Scorsese
Alan Moore
Eddie Van Halen
Frank Zappa

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
According to my girlfriend, these are my favorite people:

(actors)

Robert De Niro
Bruce Lee
Jeff Bridges
Steve Buscemi
Scarlett Johansson's ass

(fictional characters)

Superman
Abed, of Community
Michael Corleone
David Bowman
Travis Bickle

(general)

Arthur C. Clarke
Martin Scorsese
Alan Moore
Eddie Van Halen
Frank Zappa

I corrected that for you.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am
It wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say that her ass has been the most impressive thing about her for some time now.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm
My girlfriend's brother and his wife only flush their toilet for #2s. They flush for #1s at the end of the day. I guess it's a way to conserve water or something, but their entire bathroom smells like piss! I mean, that's weird, right?

I respect the rule as much as I can because it's their house, but I'm guilty of flushing their most of the time because, you know, I'm a normal human being who's been conditioned to flush the toilet after I use it. When they visit they don't flush our toilet which is basically the same as me flushing at their place, without the added benefit of my bathroom smelling like urine.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:24 am
To play devil's advocate for a moment, it seems like a toilet should be able to take an unflushed piss or two before anything terrible begins to happen. It's still a high ratio of clean water to urine.

Maybe there's something in these people's diet that makes their urine especially pungent, or maybe they're not getting enough water. Valid health concerns.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next