Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Talk about whatever, version 1.0. 
Critic

Post Re: Talk about whatever, version 1.0.
darthyoshi wrote:
Ken wrote:
Jesus H. Looks like I'm getting dumped.

Time to round up a "getting dumped" DVD survival kit. Taxi Driver, Pickpocket, Eternal Sunshine, Last Tango In Paris... pretty much anything about getting your balls smashed by life.

I would throw in Dirty Harry. You need something manly and awesome to go in there.

Just moved into a house with 6 other guys. It's not as bad as it sounds. The only problems so far arise from a couple of them being idiots. We'll see how that goes.

Ugh kill me. I'm so glad I live with one woman. WHO I LOVE

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 am
JamesKunz wrote:
darthyoshi wrote:
Ken wrote:
Jesus H. Looks like I'm getting dumped.

Time to round up a "getting dumped" DVD survival kit. Taxi Driver, Pickpocket, Eternal Sunshine, Last Tango In Paris... pretty much anything about getting your balls smashed by life.

I would throw in Dirty Harry. You need something manly and awesome to go in there.

Just moved into a house with 6 other guys. It's not as bad as it sounds. The only problems so far arise from a couple of them being idiots. We'll see how that goes.

Ugh kill me. I'm so glad I live with one woman. WHO I LOVE

I could never live in a house with that many guys, I get along with women so much better.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm
Does Mitt Romney remind anybody else of the mayor from Jaws?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:51 am
Producer

Romney believes his wealth comes from his belief in God and not the fact that his Dad was CEO of a fucking great big car company.

I love America but sometimes despair...

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:20 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Romney believes his wealth comes from his belief in God and not the fact that his Dad was CEO of a fucking great big car company.

I realize from your comment that you probably don't believe in God, but why wouldn't you think that someone that does shouldn't attribute their blessings to God? I know nothing of Romney's dad, but he might very well have taught his son to believe that. If not, judging by the Mormons I do know personally, that is an attitude consistent with the teachings of their church.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 am
CasualDad wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I realize from your comment that you probably don't believe in God, but why wouldn't you think that someone that does shouldn't attribute their blessings to God? I know nothing of Romney's dad, but he might very well have taught his son to believe that. If not, judging by the Mormons I do know personally, that is an attitude consistent with the teachings of their church.

Most mormons want to distance themselves FAR away from Romney.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm
How'dya figure that? Did someone do some kind of mormon specific survey?

Or are you just being good ol' vexer?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:02 pm
Cinematographer

Could be true, but two I know have his bumper sticker on their cars. How representative that is, I don't know.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm
NotHughGrant wrote:

Romney is the most depressing kind of politician: fake as hell and tries his damnedest to tell people exactly what they want to hear. You never once get the sense that there's anything he actually cares about. Besides winning, that is.

So of course it was God. He has an intensely religious base to pander to.

As soon as Republicans embrace Pastafarianism, Romney will be thanking the almighty Spaghetti Monster for raining down money from His noodley appendages and enriching the Romney family forevermore.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 pm
Ken wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Romney is the most depressing kind of politician: fake as hell and tries his damnedest to tell people exactly what they want to hear. You never once get the sense that there's anything he actually cares about. Besides winning, that is.

So of course it was God. He has an intensely religious base to pander to.

As soon as Republicans embrace Pastafarianism, Romney will be thanking the almighty Spaghetti Monster for raining down money from His noodley appendages and enriching the Romney family forevermore.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Romney used to be pro-choice and for gay marriage, and let's not forget it was his health care bill that paved the way for health care reform. But of course he turned his back on all that just so he could get the nomination.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:42 pm
I'll tell you something. In 2008, McCain came to MI. He soberly told a crowd of working class guys that the state needs to move beyond the auto industry and to stop expecting lost car factory jobs to come back. I was not and never would be a McCain supporter, but I respected the hell out of him for saying that. It was harsh, but honest. It took balls.

Then, of course, Romney came to MI, chided McCain for his lack of faith, and vowed that those jobs could be brought back. Even among all the other campaign B.S., it was a particularly fatuous statement. Nothing but pie-in-the-sky jerkoffery. I guess it also took balls to say, in a different sense.

On a slightly different note: one of the gold medal gymnasts is from the town where I grew up. Mitt Romney also visited there recently. Moving on up, baby!

EDIT:

Not only is Jordyn Wieber from around here, but so is Chris Hansen. And Jordyn is still 17.

Note to self: behave.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Because it's horshit, and an insult to every legitimate God-fearing peasant who is forced to drink the kind of water most of us would refuse to piss in.

Romney is an ignoramous.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
I'll tell you something. In 2008, McCain came to MI. He soberly told a crowd of working class guys that the state needs to move beyond the auto industry and to stop expecting lost car factory jobs to come back. I was not and never would be a McCain supporter, but I respected the hell out of him for saying that. It was harsh, but honest. It took balls.

Then, of course, Romney came to MI, chided McCain for his lack of faith, and vowed that those jobs could be brought back. Even among all the other campaign B.S., it was a particularly fatuous statement. Nothing but pie-in-the-sky jerkoffery. I guess it also took balls to say, in a different sense.

On a slightly different note: one of the gold medal gymnasts is from the town where I grew up. Mitt Romney also visited there recently. Moving on up, baby!

EDIT:

Not only is Jordyn Wieber from around here, but so is Chris Hansen. And Jordyn is still 17.

Note to self: behave.

Even rightwingers (or especially rightwingers) should know the Marxian paradox of capitalism and how it closes down its own markets on a local level.

Work like that won't come back to the west on a grand scale because no-one will pay over the market odds to have cars produced. Only a few pages of Das Kapital can show that workers can either upskill to new markets (assuming there are any accessible), or starve.

Romney either knows this and is lying, or doesn't know this and really should.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 am
Critic

If we're talking about whatever, I would like to mention that I find cooked carrots gross. Mushy consistency sucks

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:31 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
If we're talking about whatever, I would like to mention that I find cooked carrots gross. Mushy consistency sucks

Long as we're on the topic of vegetables, I hate mushrooms, broccoli and asparagus more then any other food.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:41 pm
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Long as we're on the topic of vegetables, I hate mushrooms, broccoli and asparagus more then any other food.

Sounds like you're not drowning the broccoli in cheese...or ketchup...or BBQ sauce like I do.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Sounds like you're not drowning the broccoli in cheese...or ketchup...or BBQ sauce like I do.

I don't like barbecue sauce or ketchup either.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
[Because it's horshit, and an insult to every legitimate God-fearing peasant who is forced to drink the kind of water most of us would refuse to piss in.

Somehow I doubt Mother Teresa, who drank plenty of the piss water, would embrace your viewpoint. But it is your viewpoint and I guess you're entitled to it. Too bad you don't think others are entitled to theirs.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 pm
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
[Because it's horshit, and an insult to every legitimate God-fearing peasant who is forced to drink the kind of water most of us would refuse to piss in.

Somehow I doubt Mother Teresa, who drank plenty of the piss water, would embrace your viewpoint. But it is your viewpoint and I guess you're entitled to it. Too bad you don't think others are entitled to theirs.

I couldn't have cared less what Mother Teresa thought. She was a fraud who worshipped poverty itself as being some kind of divine gift. Even more deluded than Romney.

And nowhere have I denied anyone their opinion.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
CasualDad wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I couldn't have cared less what Mother Teresa thought. She was a fraud who worshipped poverty itself as being some kind of divine gift. Even more deluded than Romney.

And nowhere have I denied anyone their opinion.

You criticized Romney for attributing his wealth to God. His statement is consistent with the teachings of his church doctrine (beliefs).

If you believe he is disingenuous or insincere then that is an opinion of his character. But as it is, you have essentially said he is not entitled to a belief. A belief that is taught by many of the world religions. That his belief should somehow be insulting to you, or to poor Christians, is what I'm trying to understand.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:10 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next