Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 am

July 12, 2012: "The 2012 Halftime Top 10" 
Critic

Post Re: July 12, 2012: "The 2012 Halftime Top 10"
oakenshield32 wrote:
Sorry.No way that such a cliched Jack London man against nature knock off with Liam Neeson being the stupidest group leader getting everyone killed is the number one movie at anytime.I won't even get into the fake looking FX & CGI wolves that look like refugees from Twilight rather than real life wolves.The worst part is the offensive resurrecting of the ancient vilification of the ruthless mankiller where the reality is that wolves mainly avoid human contact and real life attacks are rare events.Now you have people on message boards believing that wolves behave as portrayed in the movie. I guess a lot of people missed Joe Carnahan's idea that it just a metaphor(a vile, false and stupid one)of the mercilessness of nature and took it literally which is great news for an endangered species almost pushed to the edge of extinction because of government sponsored eradication programs which are returning in Wisconsin,Alaska and Montana.

A "Jack London" knock off? Why? Because it's set in Alaska and involves wolves? Don't be reductive.

Movies have absolutely no obligation to be accurate about wildlife. Jaws is a great movie. Jaws is not especially accurate about sharks. Jaws, nonetheless, is still a great movie.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:33 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
oakenshield32 wrote:
Sorry.No way that such a cliched Jack London man against nature knock off with Liam Neeson being the stupidest group leader getting everyone killed is the number one movie at anytime.I won't even get into the fake looking FX & CGI wolves that look like refugees from Twilight rather than real life wolves.The worst part is the offensive resurrecting of the ancient vilification of the ruthless mankiller where the reality is that wolves mainly avoid human contact and real life attacks are rare events.Now you have people on message boards believing that wolves behave as portrayed in the movie. I guess a lot of people missed Joe Carnahan's idea that it just a metaphor(a vile, false and stupid one)of the mercilessness of nature and took it literally which is great news for an endangered species almost pushed to the edge of extinction because of government sponsored eradication programs which are returning in Wisconsin,Alaska and Montana.

A "Jack London" knock off? Why? Because it's set in Alaska and involves wolves? Don't be reductive.

Movies have absolutely no obligation to be accurate about wildlife. Jaws is a great movie. Jaws is not especially accurate about sharks. Jaws, nonetheless, is still a great movie.

It also sounds to me like oakenshield also missed what metaphor Carnahan was trying to convey. The wolves don't stand for the mercilessness of nature, they're a stand-in for death. More precisely, they're a stand-in for the inevitability of death. That's why the wolves themselves are more overgrown beasts than actual wolves. That's why they behave like harbingers of death more than they do actual wolves. That's why Neeson's character arc goes from being suicidal and ready to give up to being willing to fight for his life until that inevitable end. It's why the movie ends as it does - with Neeson finally choosing to fight, because that's what life and living is. A constant fight against death. Once more into the fray...

More to Kunz's point though, the wolves are a symbol in this movie of something greater. Even if I do think your reading of the film is completely offbase, you seem to realize that. Given that you do, I don't see why you're holding the film to some non-existant standard of reality. Kunz's Jaws example is a perfect one.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
I'd love to see you guys actually create a thread about this. I'm sure we could have some good discussion

Much rather go on about a movie i loved, not one i should have walked out on...

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 pm
Critic

MrGuinness wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I'd love to see you guys actually create a thread about this. I'm sure we could have some good discussion

Much rather go on about a movie i loved, not one i should have walked out on...

Fine. But we need more people starting threads, so get going on that.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
It is pretty lean pickings in the first part of year to make a top ten list.The two that I would wholeheartedly agree with is Avengers and A Separation.Though I would have put Moonrise Kingdom a little lower as it was great to look at but I felt that all the wheels fell off the story in the second half and with it my interest.

I am glad to see that Prometheus didn't make list but the ones that I have issue with is 6,7 and 9.Take This Waltz is well made but so slow moving that a couple of guys (with their better half shushing them) were loudly yawning in the theater and I almost joined them.The Grey should have been retitled-"50 Shades of Liam Neeson stupidly getting his party killed" or "Liam Neeson; Irresponsibly Vilified Endangered Species Killer" Then you have the ending which caused most of the audience to groan out loud.Too many dumb things to make you like it.The Raid Redemption is just putting a bunch of cardboard one dimensional characters with no plot in a room and letting them beat the living hell out of each other for 101 minutes.Not so much a movie but just watching someone play Mortal Kombat on his console.I didn't think that so much action could be so repetitive and monotonous.

I will make a case for some films that were more entertaining.Bernie with Jack Black is a dark comedy about small town East Texas and was much better than Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.Cabin in the Woods was so subversive and inventive that I would rate it higher than Moonrise Kingdom as it only stumbled in the last few moments.Goon was so much better than the Raid and The Grey with Seann William Scott giving a performance for the first time I found winning and likable.Liev Schrieber is excellent playing a journeyman Canadian hockey enforcer.This one is a hidden gem of a movie.The last two I wanted to add was John Carter and Act of Valor.John Carter reminded me why I liked reading science fiction in high school and it was an old fashioned adventure story.It was much better than the drubbing it received from the nabobs of negativity in the media.Act of Valor was the best video game to movie adaptation(Call of Duty) that I have seen so far
and it's straight forward bullrush of earnestness was quite refreshing from the snarky and ironic tones that most movie take these days.Has the best unintentionally funny interrogation scene that I have seen in a while.

I thought this post had some merit before I sat down and watched Goon. Holy CRAP what a fucking piece of moronic shit! I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and cannot believe people were actually comparing it with Slap Shot. That genius movie doesn't deserve to be spoken in the same breath as this utter piece of stupidity. Thank GOD it was free to watch on Amazon. Holy CRAP.

I will say there was one interesting bit of trivia in this movie. Some of the scenes were filmed in the same place as Fargo.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 pm
Producer

I thought Goon was okay. Pretty standard, formulaic underdog sports story but Sean William Scott is likable, I enjoyed Liev Schreiber's work too. The fight scenes are bloody and amusing. I did think the movie would be funnier though.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:12 am
ilovemovies wrote:
I thought Goon was okay. Pretty standard, formulaic underdog sports story but Sean William Scott is likable, I enjoyed Liev Schreiber's work too. The fight scenes are bloody and amusing. I did think the movie would be funnier though.

I did watch to the end. There was enough in it for me to give it 1.5 stars but thats it. Not sure what the hell Eugene Levy was doing in it and Jay Baruchel should be seriously ashamed.

I think the one thing I kept waiting for to make it perfectly awful was Kim Coates to break into his Waterworld character.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
I thought this post had some merit before I sat down and watched Goon. Holy CRAP what a fucking piece of moronic shit! I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and cannot believe people were actually comparing it with Slap Shot. That genius movie doesn't deserve to be spoken in the same breath as this utter piece of stupidity. Thank GOD it was free to watch on Amazon. Holy CRAP.

The problem is Slap Shot is an over rated movie with funny stuff on the ice and a bunch of boring nothing off the ice. It gets it's cache for being over the top for the 1970's but if the exact same film was released today it would not take the world by storm with today's audience which is proven by the failure of all the Slap Shot sequels. Goon on the other hand is a proper sequel to Slap Shot and is made by someone who really knows hockey and it is mainly the story of a worst hockey player on any team who just goes out to fight not American Pie on Ice as everyone was expecting because of the star in it. The got everything right in the brutality of the position and the feel of minor league hockey in Canada even with the hockey crazy fans in Quebec. It especially captures the important feeling of belonging to a team and the irrational willingness to totally sacrifice your body for it which is something that most sports movies whitewash. It just went over your head which is okay as the old saying goes you have to play the game not just watch it on a barstool to get it.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm
oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

The problem is Slap Shot is an over rated movie with funny stuff on the ice and a bunch of boring nothing off the ice. It gets it's cache for being over the top for the 1970's but if the exact same film was released today it would not take the world by storm with today's audience which is proven by the failure of all the Slap Shot sequels. Goon on the other hand is a proper sequel to Slap Shot and is made by someone who really knows hockey and it is mainly the story of a worst hockey player on any team who just goes out to fight not American Pie on Ice as everyone was expecting because of the star in it. The got everything right in the brutality of the position and the feel of minor league hockey in Canada even with the hockey crazy fans in Quebec. It especially captures the important feeling of belonging to a team and the irrational willingness to totally sacrifice your body for it which is something that most sports movies whitewash. It just went over your head which is okay as the old saying goes you have to play the game not just watch it on a barstool to get it.

Fighting in professional hockey makes it a relatively illegitimate professional sport, but that aside, Im not exactly sure how the dumbest of dumb movies could have gone over my head. Your saying that Jay Baruchel's character is a legitimate hockey fan in canada? Youre saying that the hockey play in this movie "everything right'? The slight bit of connection the character found to his "team" is about the only "real" part of this movie.

Honestly, I dont even have reasonable responses to those absurd claims. And I am sure there is a good reason James never bothered to review it. And Slap Shot is a fantastic movie.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Ha! I got A Separation mixed up with A Prophet when I read this column initially. Oops! I liked A Separation quite a bit, but it hasn't really stuck with me since seeing it, hence my confusion perhaps. I would pick Moonrise Kingdom as my #1.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 pm
OK.. WOW.. I've just forgiven Jay Baruchel for Goon. I just saw The Trotsky. Brilliant!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 pm