It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:40 pm

July 12, 2012: "The 2012 Halftime Top 10" 
Site Admin

Post July 12, 2012: "The 2012 Halftime Top 10"
Click here to read topic.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: July 12, 2012: "The 2012 Halftime Top 10"
So far, Moonrise Kingdom is the deserving top title of my otherwise dubious list for 2012. Looks like I'll have to check out A Separation.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am
A Separation was, by far, the best film... of 2011. Putting it on this list is a nice nod to it, but its not going to be on anyone else's list, not that that makes a shred of difference, but I'[m not sure what the point is. I assume James SAW it in 2011...

Seeking a Friend def left more of an impression on me than James gives it credit for, but I'm glad to see some recognition for it.

As for The Hunger Games, I really am waiting to see a critic who will put it on their BOTTOM 10 of the year, as it really was just a piece of shit.

OK :)

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm
There are a few movies this year I wouldn't mind seeing taken down a peg or two by some noteworthy critics... but only if they do it honestly and fairly.

Anthony Lane took some potshots at Spider-Man, but it was dripping with condescension for both the source material and its fans, which is the kind of B-grade bullshit criticism that you'd expect from birdcage liners like Entertainment Weekly. It has no place in The New Yorker.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:28 pm
Site Admin

MrGuinness wrote:
A Separation was, by far, the best film... of 2011. Putting it on this list is a nice nod to it, but its not going to be on anyone else's list, not that that makes a shred of difference, but I'[m not sure what the point is. I assume James SAW it in 2011...

Saw it mid-January 2012. It was not available to me in any way, shape, or form before then unless I wanted to travel to NY or LA.

So I ended up with three choices: (1) Retroactively revise my 2011 list, (2) Put it on the 2012 list, or (3) Ignore it altogether. I chose (2) because the film is too good for (3) and (1) is just too damn messy.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Director

MrGuinness wrote:

As for The Hunger Games, I really am waiting to see a critic who will put it on their BOTTOM 10 of the year, as it really was just a piece of shit.

The Hunger Games really was a shitty movie. In fact, I'm considering reserving a spot for it in my thesis about exploitation films...but I'm not sure yet.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Hunger Games really was a shitty movie. In fact, I'm considering reserving a spot for it in my thesis about exploitation films...but I'm not sure yet.

Should be pretty easy to write about in that respect. It's exactly how I felt about it when I left the theater.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:22 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Saw it mid-January 2012. It was not available to me in any way, shape, or form before then unless I wanted to travel to NY or LA.

So I ended up with three choices: (1) Retroactively revise my 2011 list, (2) Put it on the 2012 list, or (3) Ignore it altogether. I chose (2) because the film is too good for (3) and (1) is just too damn messy.

You coulda dumped Super 8 :) But I guess you had the same problem last year with Blue Valentine...

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:25 pm
Assistant Director

James,

Thanks for the list !

A Separation is a very well made drama but when I finished watching it left mixed feelings on me so it would not be in either my top 10 of either 2011 or 2012

I can hardly wait to see The Raid. In IMDB has release date for Australia March, 2012 but If it came to Hobart I missed it, so now waiting to rent it

Moonrise Kingdom opens in Australia on 30 of August

Cheers

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

JB, I think you are underestimating this year's crop of Fall movies by saying you think the top 3 will make it to your year end top 10. I think The Avengers and Moonrise Kingdom MIGHT make your honorable mention, but I wouldn't be surprised to see A Separation be the only mid-year top 10 movie to make your year end top 10.

So many movies coming out this fall look to be amazing. This will be strongest fall season since 1999. Count on it.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 am
Gaffer

Did you really need to spoil the end of Cabin in the Woods? It was only released 3 months ago and some of us may have missed it theatrically! I've been avoiding all write-ups of that movie until I have a chance to see it, and didn't expect to see it mentioned with Seeking a Friend.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 am
Second Unit Director

It is pretty lean pickings in the first part of year to make a top ten list.The two that I would wholeheartedly agree with is Avengers and A Separation.Though I would have put Moonrise Kingdom a little lower as it was great to look at but I felt that all the wheels fell off the story in the second half and with it my interest.

I am glad to see that Prometheus didn't make list but the ones that I have issue with is 6,7 and 9.Take This Waltz is well made but so slow moving that a couple of guys (with their better half shushing them) were loudly yawning in the theater and I almost joined them.The Grey should have been retitled-"50 Shades of Liam Neeson stupidly getting his party killed" or "Liam Neeson; Irresponsibly Vilified Endangered Species Killer" Then you have the ending which caused most of the audience to groan out loud.Too many dumb things to make you like it.The Raid Redemption is just putting a bunch of cardboard one dimensional characters with no plot in a room and letting them beat the living hell out of each other for 101 minutes.Not so much a movie but just watching someone play Mortal Kombat on his console.I didn't think that so much action could be so repetitive and monotonous.

I will make a case for some films that were more entertaining.Bernie with Jack Black is a dark comedy about small town East Texas and was much better than Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.Cabin in the Woods was so subversive and inventive that I would rate it higher than Moonrise Kingdom as it only stumbled in the last few moments.Goon was so much better than the Raid and The Grey with Seann William Scott giving a performance for the first time I found winning and likable.Liev Schrieber is excellent playing a journeyman Canadian hockey enforcer.This one is a hidden gem of a movie.The last two I wanted to add was John Carter and Act of Valor.John Carter reminded me why I liked reading science fiction in high school and it was an old fashioned adventure story.It was much better than the drubbing it received from the nabobs of negativity in the media.Act of Valor was the best video game to movie adaptation(Call of Duty) that I have seen so far
and it's straight forward bullrush of earnestness was quite refreshing from the snarky and ironic tones that most movie take these days.Has the best unintentionally funny interrogation scene that I have seen in a while.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:49 am
Producer

The Grey should be #1. It'll be my favorite movie of 2012 until Thursday probably.

Of course I have to admit that I haven't seen A Separation yet. Also haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom yet either. That I'll have seen sometime this week though.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 am
Site Admin

canadianbs101 wrote:
Did you really need to spoil the end of Cabin in the Woods? It was only released 3 months ago and some of us may have missed it theatrically! I've been avoiding all write-ups of that movie until I have a chance to see it, and didn't expect to see it mentioned with Seeking a Friend.

Apologies for this. As I wrote the piece, it actually never occurred to me that this was a spoiler - seems like CABIN IN THE WOODS came out longer ago than three months ago.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

ilovemovies wrote:
The Grey should be #1. It'll be my favorite movie of 2012 until Thursday probably.

No it shouldn't. This is a list of my favorites of 1H2012, and THE GREY is where it deserves to be.
It may be #1 on your list, and that's perfectly fine.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:40 am
Profile WWW
I'll bet I can guess the 2012 Halftime Bottom 4:

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Men in Black III
Battleship
Lockout

I'm guessing if "To Rome With Love" had made the deadline it would be on there too.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 pm
Gaffer

Apologies for this. As I wrote the piece, it actually never occurred to me that this was a spoiler - seems like CABIN IN THE WOODS came out longer ago than three months ago.

Apology accepted :)
At least it's not a spoiler for one of my most anticipated of the year (I'm looking at YOU, Letterman).

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:53 pm
Producer

ilovemovies wrote:

No it shouldn't. This is a list of my favorites of 1H2012, and THE GREY is where it deserves to be.
It may be #1 on your list, and that's perfectly fine.

My bad. I was more responding to the poster above me who was crapping on The Grey. Even though I realize it's not a movie for everyone, I was just saying how I thought not only does it belong on the list, but if it were my list, it'd be #1. Didn't mean anything more than that.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Sorry.No way that such a cliched Jack London man against nature knock off with Liam Neeson being the stupidest group leader getting everyone killed is the number one movie at anytime.I won't even get into the fake looking FX & CGI wolves that look like refugees from Twilight rather than real life wolves.The worst part is the offensive resurrecting of the ancient vilification of the ruthless mankiller where the reality is that wolves mainly avoid human contact and real life attacks are rare events.Now you have people on message boards believing that wolves behave as portrayed in the movie. I guess a lot of people missed Joe Carnahan's idea that it just a metaphor(a vile, false and stupid one)of the mercilessness of nature and took it literally which is great news for an endangered species almost pushed to the edge of extinction because of government sponsored eradication programs which are returning in Wisconsin,Alaska and Montana.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:00 pm
Critic

MrGuinness wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Should be pretty easy to write about in that respect. It's exactly how I felt about it when I left the theater.
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:

I'd love to see you guys actually create a thread about this. I'm sure we could have some good discussion

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:31 pm