Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Hot girls with a music career 
Post Hot girls with a music career
Well I just went through the Katy Perry movie thread. Being a musician I refrain from any comment.

If you want to see a girl who really deserves her career in the music business (not just an autotuned crap vocalist with a vocal range about a single octave which amounts to nothing unless your name is Stevie Nicks), here we go: this sweet little girl from Down Under isn't just great for a girl. If a 50+ year old seasoned pro came up with the exact same, it still would be fantastic. Check out: Tal Wilkenfeld (she's got great tits too!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuZ-J5coKk

if you want to jump to the song go to: 4:46

if you want to go directly to that girls awesome solo, jump in at: 6:12

Opinions welcome.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 pm
Post Re: Hot girls with a music career
I don't hate bass players in general, but I also don't find myself particularly impressed by most of them. In fact, the only bass players I rate at all are Adam Clayton of U2 and Christopher Wolstenholme of Muse. If it comes to skill on guitar, I would take the following girl any day:

Kim Chung playing "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" (arguably one of the most difficult guitar pieces ever written)

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I don't hate bass players in general, but I also don't find myself particularly impressed by most of them. In fact, the only bass players I rate at all are Adam Clayton of U2 and Christopher Wolstenholme of Muse. If it comes to skill on guitar, I would take the following girl any day:

Kim Chung playing "Recuerdos do la Alhambra" (arguably one of the most difficult guitar pieces ever written)

Wowww, now I'm going to sound racist and sexist (both of which I AM NOT). But I am ready to take the heat. If you want stiff, classical music with no syncopation, no improvisation, no "laid back feel", just obsessed carbon copies of music, go for asian pianists and in this case acoustic guitarists, many, many, many are beyond believalble by Western classical music standards (which I do not support for an array of reasons one being the lack of soul and true musicianship).
I am NOT impressed, because it all can be achieved with some talent and the time and opportunity to practice, practice, practice. Tal Wilkenfeld manages to play laid back (controlled timing behind the beat to provide a tasty groove), slip over the frets without killing the beautiful tone and build up an improvised (check alternative versions - this isn't just nerdy brainless and mind numbingly endless practice - this is KNOWLEDGE and SOUL). Tal plays true felt music, not something which can be hammered into anyone's brain.

I could be nasty and say: please don't ever argue with me, I will hit you with a detailed essay supported by professional achievement and even 1:1 written transcriptions of anything you might come up with. But I won't go that far to make my point - unless someone provokes me. You didn't. O.K. you aren't impressed by bass players. Perhaps you need to re evaluate the way you listen to music and the way you just consciously listen to the surface. But if you just like what you like. O.K.

BTW: I am completely unimpressed by the girl you provided a like to. Wanna hear real great and extremely versatile classical guitar playing? Just go to YouTube and check "Trouble Clef".

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Kim Chung playing "Recuerdos do la Alhambra" (arguably one of the most difficult guitar pieces ever written)

Wowww, now I'm going to sound racist and sexist (both of which I AM NOT). But I am ready to take the heat. If you want stiff, classical music with no syncopation, no improvisation, no "laid back feel", just obsessed carbon copies of music, go for asian pianists and in this case acoustic guitarists, many, many, many are beyond believalble by Western classical music standards (which I do not support for an array of reasons one being the lack of soul and true musicianship).
I am NOT impressed, because it all can be achieved with some talent and the time and opportunity to practie, practice, practise. Tal Wilkenfeld manages to play laid back (controlled timing behind the beat to provide a tasty groove), slip over the frets without killing the beautiful tone and build up an improvised (check alternative versions - this isn't just nerdy brainles and endless practice - this is KNOWLEDGE and SOUL). Tal plays true felt music, not something which can be hammered into anyone's brain.

I could be nasty and say: please don't ever argue with me, I will hit you with a detailed essay supported by professional achievement and even 1:1 written transcriptions of anything you might vcome up with. But I won't go that far to make my point - unless someone provokes me. You didn't. O.K. you aren't impressed by bass players. Perhaps you need to re evaluate the way you listen to music and the way you just consciously listen to the surface. But if you just like what you like. O.K.

BTW: I am vompletely unimpressed by the girl you provided a like to. Wanna hear real great and extremely versatile classical guitar playing?

For me, there's a reason why bass players aren't as highly regarded as those that play the guitars with 6 strings or more. More strings = more complexity, plain and simple. That isn't to say that bass players suck, but it would take someone really special to make me take note, and Tal doesn't fall into that category for me. Basically, I'm saying that she doesn't turn my crank, though she is easy on the eyes.

Threeperf35 wrote:
O.K. you aren't impressed by bass players. Perhaps you need to re evaluate the way you listen to music and the way you just consciously listen to the surface. But if you just like what you like. O.K.

I'd like to focus on this statement for a second. Be careful, because with this statement, you're starting to skirt the "right and wrong opinion" line. You'll notice that when I responded, I in no way inferred anything about your tastes.

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I am NOT impressed, because it all can be achieved with some talent and the time and opportunity to practie, practice, practise. Tal Wilkenfeld manages to play laid back (controlled timing behind the beat to provide a tasty groove), slip over the frets without killing the beautiful tone and build up an improvised (check alternative versions - this isn't just nerdy brainles and endless practice - this is KNOWLEDGE and SOUL). Tal plays true felt music, not something which can be hammered into anyone's brain.

I could be nasty and say: please don't ever argue with me, I will hit you with a detailed essay supported by professional achievement and even 1:1 written transcriptions of anything you might vcome up with. But I won't go that far to make my point - unless someone provokes me. You didn't. O.K. you aren't impressed by bass players. Perhaps you need to re evaluate the way you listen to music and the way you just consciously listen to the surface. But if you just like what you like. O.K.

BTW: I am vompletely unimpressed by the girl you provided a like to. Wanna hear real great and extremely versatile classical guitar playing?

For me, there's a reason why bass players aren't as highly regarded as those that play the guitars with 6 strings or more. More strings = more complexity, plain and simple. That isn't to say that bass players suck, but it would take someone really special to make me take note, and Tal doesn't fall into that category for me. Basically, I'm saying that she doesn't turn my crank, though she is easy on the eyes.

Wow, I'm outta here. Ever heard of six string basses? The more strings, the more difficult? I'm outta here. Please forgive me, but I do not argue with laymen who don't know shit about shit. Forgive me please for my momentary outburst.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Wow, I'm outta here. Ever heard of six string basses? The more strings, the more difficult? I'm outta here. Please forgive me, but I do not argue with layman who don't know shit about shit. Forgive me please for my momentary outburst.

Tal isn't playing a 6-string bass in that vid you posted, so your point above is utterly moot. You're officially being a douche now. You started this thread and wanted other people's opinions, even though you have your standards about what you think is a "valid" opinion.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Well I just went through the Katy Perry movie thread. Being a musician I refrain from any comment.

If you want to see a girl who really deserves her career in the music business (not just an autotuned crap vocalist with a vocal range about a single octave which amounts to nothing unless your name is Stevie Nicks), here we go: this sweet little girl from Down Under isn't just great for a girl. If a 50+ year old seasoned pro came up with the exact same, it still would be fantastic. Check out: Tal Wilkenfeld (she's got great tits too!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuZ-J5coKk

if you want to jump to the song go to: 4:46

if you want to go directly to that girls awesome solo, jump in at: 6:12

Opinions that match mine are welcome.

Oh, I also thought I'd fix this for you too.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
You started this thread and wanted other people's opinions, even though you have your standards about what you think is a "valid" opinion.

Indeed. Threeperf is well aware that he's the only "professional" around here, so to flabbergastingly insult "laymen" for being "laymen" brings into question why this thread needed to be here at all. There's probably a discussion to be had, but not if people are going to be insulted.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:21 pm
Shade wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
You started this thread and wanted other people's opinions, even though you have your standards about what you think is a "valid" opinion.

Indeed. Threeperf is well aware that he's the only "professional" around here, so to flabbergastingly insult "laymen" for being "laymen" brings into question why this thread needed to be here at all. There's probably a discussion to be had, but not if people are going to be insulted.

What exactly is he supposed to be a "professional" at?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:

As a musician. He makes a living making music, hence a musician.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 pm
Shade wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Ah, I get the attitude now. He was still being a douche, though.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Shade wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Ah, I get the attitude now. He was still being a douche, though.

1) Please don't call me names. You are way out of line here.

2) I doin 't need and I don't ant to prove anything to you.

3) How can you ever even think that a 6-string bass is better or more difficult to play than a 4-strintg bass.

4) O.K. what the fuck I am supposed to be profsional at? Correct. Now what the fuck are you supposed to be propfessional at? Trolling? Fuck you!!!! Ban me from this Forum, do whatever you want. NOONE ever talks to me lkike that. And I mean NOONE! Fuck you!!!!

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:

3) How can you ever even think that a 6-string bass is better or more difficult to play than a 4-strintg bass.

4) O.K. what the fuck I am supposed to be profsional at? Correct. Now what the fuck are you supposed to be propfessional at? Trolling? Fuck you!!!! Ban me from this Forum, do whatever you want. NOONE ever talks to me lkike that. And I mean NOONE! Fuck you!!!!

I'm calling it like it is- you're being a douche, period. You want to post your opinions here, do it with the knowledge that if you act like a douche to me, I will flay you alive.

As for the 6-string vs 4-string comment: last time I checked basic mathematics, more strings = more combinations of sounds = more complexity. It's common sense, and that's why I consider a 6-string guitar (I never mentioned bass, you did) to be more complex than a 4-string bass. Sorry if you're a bass player who decided to get butthurt over this, but that's my opinion. Also, as I said in an earlier post, Tal isn't playing a 6-stringed instrument in that vid, so your point about 6-string bass guitars is *irrelevant*.

If you don't need to prove anything and didn't have clear issues with self-esteem, you wouldn't be taking my opinion as seriously as you are. I didn't aim my original opinions at you personally, but you chose to take them that way. At this point, I'm not even mad at you so much as I'm pitying you, because you clearly could use some psychological help.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:16 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

I'm calling it like it is- you're being a douche, period. You want to post your opinions here, do it with the knowledge that if you act like a douche to me, I will flay you alive.

As for the 6-string vs 4-string comment: last time I checked basic mathematics, more strings = more combinations of sounds = more complexity. It's common sense, and that's why I consider a 6-string guitar (I never mentioned bass, you did) to be more complex than a 4-string bass. Sorry if you're a bass player who decided to get butthurt over this, but that's my opinion. Also, as I said in an earlier post, Tal isn't playing a 6-stringed instrument in that vid, so your point about 6-string bass guitars is *irrelevant*.

If you don't need to prove anything and didn't have clear issues with self-esteem, you wouldn't be taking my opinion as seriously as you are. I didn't aim my original opinions at you personally, but you chose to take them that way. At this point, I'm not even mad at you so much as I'm pitying you, because you clearly could use some psychological help.

1) I'm a pianist, organist so the polyphony adds a lot of complexity over monophonic instruments or those with limited polyphony. I am also a composer and orchestrator. I also do my own productions and mixes. I already worked with large orchestras and noone ever complained about my work. I have a master certificate from Berklee Boston, where I have been mentioned by a few teachers directly to the Dean as being one of the best students ever. But of course, as some people who brag with master degrees say (after they brag about their degrees) it all doesn't matter, all that counts is the actual knowledge. I have nothing to fear in that department.

2) 6 string basses are just made to extend the range on both sides of the spectrum. They are not harder to play than a 4 string bass. Just like a triple F-horn isn't harder to play than a double F-horn. Music instruments are so much more than just permutations or multiplications of possibilities. According to your "theory", a 1726354645 string bass would be the hardest to play and yield more "possibilities". Why didn't they make one? Why are there no 6 string violins? They would yield so much more possibilitioes, right? What about physical space, body resonance, portamento, articulations, vidrato, dynamics? Please ionclude these in your "mathematical dformulas" before you talk.

3) a hand made occarina played with heart and soul can be in some cases considered better than another gal performing classical music impeccaply, but sounding like a carbon copy of hundreds if not thousands of others.

4) Do you know who Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta are? Noone on this planet would play with them if they weren't ace.

5) If I have self esteem issues (I said IF I have) it's because of dumfuck bullies like yourself who are ruthless enough to search for weak spots and conduct their words to rip open what they perceive to be old wounds. How about some respect?

6) Fuck you!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:21 am
Jeff Beck's current band is hot as hell. I don't really know anything about Tal in terms of her background, but I've seen clips of her holding her own against Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta, and that says a lot about her.

My current phase is Esperanza Spalding (another young female bassist!), who is simply talented beyond her years. She can really play, she can really sing, and she puts together great music.

And while I haven't delved far into her work yet, Orianthi Panagaris can hang with the best of the gunslinger-type guitarists. If you've seen Michael Jackson's This Is It, that's her on guitar. She's not the first good-looking blonde/badass guitar player Michael Jackson ever employed, either.

I don't have the time, patience, or stomach for most of the pretty girls who get processed and distributed by the music industry.

EDIT:

I am a guitarist of 12 years and a bass player of one year. While theoretically similar, playing each instrument is its own set of skills, instincts, and sensibilities. I will be a novice bassist for a very long time. It is not easy compared to the guitar.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:48 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
1) I'm a pianist, organist so the polyphony adds a lot of complexity over monophonic instruments or those with limited polyphony. I am also a composer and orchestrator. I also do my own productions and mixes. I already worked with large orchestras and noone ever complained about my work. I have a master certificate from Berklee Boston, where I have been mentioned by a few teachers directly to the Dean as being one of the best students ever. But of course, as some people who brag with master degrees say (after they brag about their degrees) it all doesn't matter, all that counts is the actual knowledge. I have nothing to fear in that department.

<*Yawn*> You done masturbating yet? Have you soothed your own ego enough?

Threeperf35 wrote:
2) 6 string basses are just made to extend the range on both sides of the spectrum. They are not harder to play than a 4 string bass. Just like a triple F-horn isn't harder to play than a double F-horn. Music instruments are so much more than just permutations or multiplications of possibilities. According to your "theory", a 1726354645 string bass would be the hardest to play and yield more "possibilities". Why didn't they make one? Why are there no 6 string violins? They would yield so much more possibilitioes, right? What about physical space, body resonance, portamento, articulations, vidrato, dynamics? Please ionclude these in your "mathematical dformulas" before you talk.

I wasn't talking about 6-string basses, yet you keep bringing it up. I'm going according to common sense, which you seem to be lacking. Would you argue that a piano is less complex than a 4-string bass guitar, for example? After all, according to you, the higher number of strings there doesn't seem to matter. You've stepped into the realm of "argument from authority". Layman or not, it doesn't change the fact that what I said before (more strings = more notes = more complexity) is correct. But keep on being a douche if it suits you.

Threeperf35 wrote:
3) a hand made occarina played with heart and soul can be in some cases considered better than another gal performing classical music impeccaply, but sounding like a carbon copy of hundreds if not thousands of others.

So basically, it comes down to an individual's taste, which was the original position I was stating my opinions from. Yet, you had to turn this into a chance for you to verbally masturbate because of insecurity.

Threeperf35 wrote:
4) Do you know who Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta are? Noone on this planet would play with them if they weren't ace.

I do know who Jeff Beck is. So? Clapton and Hendrix are both better guitarists as far as I'm concerned. There's a reason why the Yardbirds were considered better with Clapton in the group than when Beck was in the group (in fact, as I recall, Beck was FIRED from the Yardbirds). Hell, they were better once Jimmy Page took over (thus transitioning the group into Led Zeppelin), IMO.

Threeperf35 wrote:
5) If I have self esteem issues (I said IF I have) it's because of dumfuck bullies like yourself who are ruthless enough to search for weak spots and conduct their words to rip open what they perceive to be old wounds. How about some respect?

If you want respect, give respect. I only give back what I receive. If you hadn't replied in a douchebag manner, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Threeperf35 wrote:
6) Fuck you!

Great, keep on proving that you've basically lost this debate as well as displaying your incredible insecurity. Have you thought about anti-depressant medication?

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Great, keep on proving that you've basically lost this debate as well as displaying your incredible insecurity. Have you thought about anti-depressant medication?

You must be one hell of a guy in real life. I like your "trolling by the numbers" attitude. You have certainly done your homework.

I am very fond of the "so you giving me that expert shit, but as a layman I am entitled to my opinion" bit, while quoting and citing other "experts" and authorities as you see fit within the context. You should try playing chess or poker some time. You might be very good at it.

So I'm a douche (or acting like one to quote more precisely), which in my book means: to be dismissed instantly by guys as cool as you are (or claim to be cool as you do), yet you go to the trouble finding alternative phrasings of "you are pathetic". Why so much effort? Are you getting off on verbally punching people you think are easy targets? I'm not an easy target. Trust me. Am I displaying insecurity or do you want me to display insecurity so you have your trolling playground?

Yes I have been using some self criticism in the past in these Forums. You sure remeber. I call it modesty. I don't go for badass - that's my own choice. You do. But you suck at it. If you want to jerk off while trying to humiliate others, try guys who pose as (or are - who knows) badasses. Beating the weakling with huge glasses is easy (I'm not saying I am that kind of guy - but I know you love to see me like this). Try fellow badasses (or wannabe badasses). That's more of a challenge and if you actually can beat them (as in: you lost the argument), wouldn't it be so much more of a satisfaction?

P.S. yes I did think about anti-depressant medication. But so do millions of people. Nice try.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 am
Well, that was quite a bit of off-topic discussion. Rather than get lost in the shuffle, I think I'll go ahead and repost my on-topic post.

---

Jeff Beck's current band is hot as hell. I don't really know anything about Tal in terms of her background, but I've seen clips of her holding her own against Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colaiuta, and that says a lot about her.

My current phase is Esperanza Spalding (another young female bassist!), who is simply talented beyond her years. She can really play, she can really sing, and she puts together great music.

And while I haven't delved far into her work yet, Orianthi Panagaris can hang with the best of the gunslinger-type guitarists. If you've seen Michael Jackson's This Is It, that's her on guitar. She's not the first good-looking blonde/badass guitar player Michael Jackson ever employed, either.

I don't have the time, patience, or stomach for most of the pretty girls who get processed and distributed by the music industry.

I am a guitarist of 12 years and a bass player of one year. While theoretically similar, playing each instrument is its own set of skills, instincts, and sensibilities. I will be a novice bassist for a very long time. It is not easy compared to the guitar.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:47 am
Please wait for the bass player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQxSFG- ... ture=share

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

You must be one hell of a guy in real life. I like your "trolling by the numbers" attitude. You have certainly done your homework.

You're verbally masturbating, yet I'm the troll? You clearly have no idea what that word means, at all.

Threeperf35 wrote:
I am very fond of the "so you giving me that expert shit, but as a layman I am entitled to my opinion" bit, while quoting and citing other "experts" and authorities as you see fit within the context. You should try playing chess or poker some time. You might be very good at it.

I am good at chess, but what does that have to do with anything? You're now just flailing, you know that?

Threeperf35 wrote:
So I'm a douche (or acting like one to quote more precisely), which in my book means: to be dismissed instantly by guys as cool as you are (or claim to be cool as you do), yet you go to the trouble finding alternative phrasings of "you are pathetic". Why so much effort? Are you getting off on verbally punching people you think are easy targets? I'm not an easy target. Trust me. Am I displaying insecurity or do you want me to display insecurity so you have your trolling playground?

Seriously, are you insane? I haven't seen this much self-pity in one post, ever. I offered an opinion which you jumped all over even when it was never directed at you personally, at all. You really need help.

Threeperf35 wrote:
Yes I have been using some self criticism in the past in these Forums. You sure remeber. I call it modesty. I don't go for badass - that's my own choice. You do. But you suck at it. If you want to jerk off while trying to humiliate others, try guys who pose as (or are - who knows) badasses. Beating the weakling with huge glasses is easy (I'm not saying I am that kind of guy - but I know you love to see me like this). Try fellow badasses (or wannabe badasses). That's more of a challenge and if you actually can beat them (as in: you lost the argument), wouldn't it be so much more of a satisfaction?

P.S. yes I did think about anti-depressant medication. But so do millions of people. Nice try.

Wow, you're so worked up that you're now babbling. Seriously, don't go and put a loaded .45 into your mouth over this. Sheesh. I'll leave this thread now, because I don't want to be indirectly responsible for any suicide attempts.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next