Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Recent DVD Purchases 
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
You buy that, sir. What a collection!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:16 pm
Seconded. This a bounty of goodness that will keep you busy for a while.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm
Oh my! Buy that YESTERDAY!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Cheers guys! As I said, I knew what you were going to say but I was worried about a lot of the films that I had never even heard of. Thanks to the resounding response, I went ahead and pre-ordered it this morning.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 am
Profile WWW
I would have also advised you to buy this set, but since you already did, I'll say this: Well done!

I wouldn't expect to love every movie you get, but a good deal of them are just plain great. Plus, as you said, it's a great way to jump start a collection.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am
Balaji...at $4.50 (US) a movie it's a freaking steal. Good work.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:21 pm
Director

25th aniversary edition of The Blues Brothers for $7.99. Which is one I should have picked up earlier. But it being on sale played a major role.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Director

Has anybody else been getting any titles they've pre-ordered online in the mail BEFORE its official release date? I've been getting quite a few lately. Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 am
Second Unit Director

So, have I made the purchase of the year or what? :D

Yes, that awesome DVD collection you guys unanimously recommended just arrived by courier today. It is just amazing to look at. All that cinema awesomeness in one box at a bargain price to boot.

Now, the only dilemma is in deciding which one to pop in first? ;)

Last edited by Balaji Sivaraman on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Damn, you lucky man!

Damn you lucky man!

I wasn't sure wether to go with or without the comma. ;)

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm
Director

Recentyl bought both The Breakfast Club and Chinatown at Wal-Mart for $7.50 each.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:16 pm
Cinematographer

I'm not sure if my recent purchases are as good as Balaji's, but well, they're respectable.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Damn that's sexy. Background and all.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 pm
Producer

It is an interesting composition, isn't it?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:30 pm
Assistant Director

Seeing your mix of 1900, Shaft, The Leopard and Black Dynamite reminds me of a time in college when I went to a grocery store to pick up Captain Crunch, skim milk and two containers of nutmeg.

The cashier looked at me funny, like I was buying a box of cereal, milk and two containers of nutmeg.

The milk and cereal were for me. I was feeling nostalgic. The nutmeg was for a friend who wanted to see if one could have a psychedelic experience on nutmeg. He learned that you could, in fact, have a psychedelic experience on nutmeg. I have a feeling I've mentioned this before right here on this very forum. I'll go search for "nutmeg" and see what pops up.

Anyway, it was terrifying to behold.

Good purchase, Pedro.

Don't really know how to wrap up this post.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 am
Producer

I'm tempted to ask about the lone DVD with its spine facing away from the camera, but I almost prefer that it be left to the imagination.

I'm going to suggest Ernest Saves Christmas.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 am
Assistant Director

Mark III wrote:
Seeing your mix of 1900, Shaft, The Leopard and Black Dynamite reminds me of a time in college when I went to a grocery store to pick up Captain Crunch, skim milk and two containers of nutmeg.

The cashier looked at me funny, like I was buying a box of cereal, milk and two containers of nutmeg.

The milk and cereal were for me. I was feeling nostalgic. The nutmeg was for a friend who wanted to see if one could have a psychedelic experience on nutmeg. He learned that you could, in fact, have a psychedelic experience on nutmeg. I have a feeling I've mentioned this before right here on this very forum. I'll go search for "nutmeg" and see what pops up.

Good purchase, Pedro.

I seldom revisit old posts/threads but this one (the search for 'nutmeg' turned it up) awakened some powerful nostalgia: viewtopic.php?p=75677&sid=e4e7f321afbe48b206f8fd55ba58b759#p75677

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:58 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I'm tempted to ask about the lone DVD with its spine facing away from the camera, but I almost prefer that it be left to the imagination.

I'm going to suggest Ernest Saves Christmas.

I won't reveal its identity, though I will say that it's not the hardest thing in the world to figure out.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm
Gaffer

Mark III wrote:
Mark III wrote:

Good purchase, Pedro.

I seldom revisit old posts/threads but this one (the search for 'nutmeg' turned it up) awakened some powerful nostalgia: viewtopic.php?p=75677&sid=e4e7f321afbe48b206f8fd55ba58b759#p75677

Ooooh, that was a fun re-read. I had forgotten about JB's forum skills. And look! I used to be able to string together a sentence. Kinda, sorta. Please tell me you've upgraded your web browser.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:28 pm
Director

About a month ago bought The Essential Eastwood: Director's Collection. It's a 4-DVD set which contains Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby and Letters From Iwo Jima. Seeing as it lists at $34.00 but can be found at many places for less (I got it at FYE for $10.59), I definitely recommend this set as a way to get 4 great movies in one cheap package. The only problem is the lack of special features.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next