Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 pm

'Before Sunrise' and 'Before Sunset' get a sequel 
Post 'Before Sunrise' and 'Before Sunset' get a sequel
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/b ... hp?_r=true

Already almost another 9 years.  How time flies.  I remembered discovering the first 2 films around 2006 and thinking how I have to wait 7 years to maybe catch up with this couple again. (Really love both films.  Belong in my top 20 for sure) Hope it is worthy of the first two.

btw, these films are shaping out to be one of the most unique franchises ever.  Make me think of Michael Apted's Up series.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:59 am
Critic

Post Re: 'Before Sunrise' and 'Before Sunset' get a sequel
YES! My wife is crying already

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:15 am
I'm nervous because the second ended on such a perfect note but at the same time I have faith in the talent involved so I'm remaining optimistic about this one.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 am
Gaffer

I agree, the ending of "Before Sunset" ties things up so nicely that it's hard to imagine another "sequel" being able to retain any more magic from the first two.

A prequel might be a nice idea actually: A movie that would interlace the life stories of both characters from childhood through their teen years up to the moment they are both on the train heading to Vienna. Mind you, such a movie would likely only appeal to those who have seen the original two movies and connected with the two characters of Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm
Critic

darwin wrote:
I agree, the ending of "Before Sunset" ties things up so nicely that it's hard to imagine another "sequel" being able to retain any more magic from the first two.

Well let's not get carried away. I love the ending of Before Sunset too, but it doesn't "tie up" anything.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:01 pm
Second Unit Director

I am probably the only person who didn't think that highly of Before Sunset as I did of the original. I don't know why this was the case but a lot of conversations in the second part just felt like they were trying to imitate the original. They didn't feel as spontaneous or as "real" (for lack of a better word) as they did in Before Sunrise. I always had the feeling in the back of my head that they were trying to force the second part into feeling like the first. I don't know, maybe I need to rewatch both to get a different perspective on them, but that's how I felt the one time I saw the sequel. Mind you, I still felt it was a very good movie but not a true classic like the original.

Having said that, I am very much intrigued about where they take these two characters.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Agreed, I also prefer the first movie. It was a very original approach to telling a "love story". The second part has a far fetched setup and the two characters (around age 30) are already somehow disappointed in life. The dialog is as clever and insightful, yet casual, as in the first movie and I like the long takes and the fact that the second part actually plays in (almost) real time. The ending is just great and tasteful, but it doesn't wrap up anything. I simply hope that in the third part there won't be more of "what happened meanwhile" dialog - I hope for: just as much as necessary. I think the whole concept of these two people - just thinking about each other and leaving the entire world almost completely outside - is brilliant. That is how you really feel when you totally fall for someone. And that was captured better and with more emotional depth in the first movie (IMHO) - which of course is easier when the characters are around age 20 and eveything is still rather "fresh" and "new".
It is definitely not an easy task coming up with a script which maintains the "tone" and "meet-walk-talk" theme, while not spelling out the true feelings they have for each other - it is rather hinted at through body language and words written between the lines.
Now to come up with a clever title..... :?:

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am
bob harris wrote:
I'm nervous because the second ended on such a perfect note but at the same time I have faith in the talent involved so I'm remaining optimistic about this one.

^ My sentiment exactly. I love the first two movies and am worried that things will go wrong for the third. But...they've made two great movies already, so who's to say that this one won't be great either. Bring it on! I'm excited!

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:07 pm
Director

Soooo... "Before... Midday"? :ugeek:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:55 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Hmmm, "Before Midnight" sounds more romantic, but the "sun" still isn't in the title. It's going to be a tough call. Perhaps switch it to: "After......" ?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

Hmmm, "Before Midnight" sounds more romantic, but the "sun" still isn't in the title. It's going to be a tough call. Perhaps switch it to: "After......" ?

But then it could get confused with the Brett Ratner film "After The Sunset"

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 am
Gaffer

Julie Delpy has shown a pretty dark sensibility in the films she's directed. I wonder if she's come to a different emotional place in the years since Before Sunset, and how that will affect the new film.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 pm
Critic

Jonsh wrote:
Julie Delpy has shown a pretty dark sensibility in the films she's directed. I wonder if she's come to a different emotional place in the years since Before Sunset, and how that will affect the new film.

Well she's already a bitter, burned-out shell in Before Sunset. How much worse could it get?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am
So apparently this has already finished shooting. It's rumored to be titled Before Midnight. Good call, Threeperf!

http://www.slashfilm.com/richard-linkla ... rst-image/

This is exciting news.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
So apparently this has already finished shooting. It's rumored to be titled Before Midnight. Good call, Threeperf!

http://www.slashfilm.com/richard-linkla ... rst-image/

This is exciting news.

I am so going to see this! Just to watch Hawke and Deply talking intelligent and convincing dialog is more than enough for me to buy a ticket. Perhaps the very best romantic relationship ever in the movies.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:02 pm
Second Unit Director

How about Before Sunday?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 pm
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
How about Before Sunday?

To "churchy" :lol:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am
Director

So the reviews of 'Before Midnight' from Cannes are coming out, and so far (from what I've skimped), apart from a negative one at rottentomatoes, they appear to be very effusive. Some of them, presented without spoilers...

Slashfilm wrote:
Linklater, Hawke and Delpy have created a complex, engaging and wholly satisfying third entry into this series...It’s among the best third films in a trilogy ever. 9/10

Justin Chang, Variety wrote:
One of the great movie romances of the modern era achieves its richest and fullest expression in "Before Midnight." Exquisite, melancholy, hilarious and cathartic.

Both Katey Rich (CinemaBlend) and Ethan Anderton (Firstshowing.net) called it "perfect".

And most reassuringly for me, among them is one of my top 5 critics, Noel Murray of AV Club (although that's mainly from his TV reviews more than movies), who gave it A- : "Capture what happens to love over the long haul, how it’s sustained and challenged, eroded and enriched...an immensely satisfying and emotionally rich experience, so true to life that you nod and wince at the same time."

Really liking the reaction... Hope this one lands a theatrical release here.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am
Critic

I saw that too. I'm fucking stoked

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
I saw that too. I'm fucking stoked

Add me to the list of people lauding Before Midnight, too. It is a truly majestic experience.

Yes, I've been at the Sundance Film Festival for the last few days. I was hoping to avoid mentioning it, seeing as whenever I do, people bombard me with questions concerning the movies I've seen. Were it not for Sundance, January would be an even more dreary wasteland.

I've actually been online a lot less over the course of the past five days because of it. In my spare time, I've mostly been running the new contests I started on the Competitions forum.

Last edited by Sean on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 pm