Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Criterion On Sale 
Post Re: Criterion On Sale
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I really, really want that BBS box set. Really badly.

If you ever get it please let me know what's so great about The King of Marvin Gardens. I've tried to coax a response out of both major and zeppo but none has been forthcoming so far. Strange thing is I don't mind one bit. The film struck me as "meh" and hearing a long explanation of its greatness will just make me want to re-watch. So, on second thought, don't let me know what's so great about it.

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK. Homeboy, I OWN The Kind of Marvin Gardens. So your "meh" and "don't let me know" have fallen upon deaf ears. And do you know why?

Why?

Because it's currently 9:30pm @ daylight savings but it's all about to get all 8:30pm on your ass. I love my ram1312 but he's not about to deny me my King of Marvin Gardens thread. Can I do racist Uncle Tom and King of Marvin Gardens? THAT IS THE QUESTION, MOTHERFUCKER!!

Quote:
Hilarious! And awesome! I limited myself to one, the first one you bought. I also checked out Vampyr about a week back. Looks great, but the story sucks. That's my expert
analysis.

That's what my bud Pete wrote but, damn it, his "expert analysis" is off! Maybe! The guy already has an epic post about Cache that I need to respond to... fudge! I feel spread thin! But the guy bought Paths of Glory and for that I know I need to keep on the ball(s).

I've been racking my brain for the past 40 minutes for a movie to watch before bed. It's getting late on the right coast, but The King of Marvin Gardens is available on Netflix instant, so I'll be watching starting in T-minus 6 minutes. You create that thread this very evening, and I will respond at some point, likely Monday.

Also, get your ass, but more your brain and fingers, in that Cache thread. That movie won't leave my brain! I need to discuss it! This goes for anyone else who has seen it as well.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:49 am
Today through August 2: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=32128

It's a bit of a Reelviews tradition to be equally excited and outraged at these notifications, and this one is no different. There goes all of my expendable income. What's everyone thinking about buying?

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Today through August 2: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=32128

It's a bit of a Reelviews tradition to be equally excited and outraged at these notifications, and this one is no different. There goes all of my expendable income. What's everyone thinking about buying?

I know our buddy ram has been waiting on this one. He mentioned that he really wanted to buy El Norte (links to the blu-ray):

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/El-Norte/Zaide-Silvia-Gutierrez/e/715515035125

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:00 pm
Due to my current between-jobs status, I made a promise that I'd be more selective and limit myself this time. So today I ended up with Bluray copies of Kiss Me Deadly, Pale Flower, and Insignificance, plus DVD copies of The Friends of Eddie Coyle and the Beastie Boys Video Anthology.

So much for being selective......and I'm sure I'll dive back in for more at some point. :roll:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:24 am
I'd be on this if I didn't spend money moving....but watch out August 1st!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:05 am
Funds are getting tight. Had to fight off the urge to hit up my local Barnes and Noble and drop some cash. This is an awesome deal and likely the only good deal in the history of Barnes and Noble. The movie prices there have always been laughably absurd.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Due to my current between-jobs status, I made a promise that I'd be more selective and limit myself this time. So today I ended up with Bluray copies of Kiss Me Deadly, Pale Flower, and Insignificance, plus DVD copies of The Friends of Eddie Coyle and the Beastie Boys Video Anthology.

So much for being selective......and I'm sure I'll dive back in for more at some point. :roll:

That's quite the haul, my friend. I'm definitely buying the Bluray of Kiss Me Deadly, but I'm not sure what else I'll be getting. I read on a blog that the offer is good for pre-orders too. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, I'll probably go ahead and order Kubrick's The Killing.

Have you seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle? I blind bought it a while back due to the love showered upon it here and didn't regret it at all. Great movie, that one. Let me know how that Anthology of the Beasties is. I love those guys, but I've been skeptical of buying that.

Bondurant wrote:
Funds are getting tight. Had to fight off the urge to hit up my local Barnes and Noble and drop some cash. This is an awesome deal and likely the only good deal in the history of Barnes and Noble. The movie prices there have always been laughably absurd.

Yeah, Barnes and Noble's prices are insanely high. Luckily, they do this sale twice a year. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd ever buy from them. $40 for a DVD/Bluray you can get elsewhere for $22-26 is ridiculous.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:45 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

That's quite the haul, my friend. I'm definitely buying the Bluray of Kiss Me Deadly, but I'm not sure what else I'll be getting. I read on a blog that the offer is good for pre-orders too. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, I'll probably go ahead and order Kubrick's The Killing.

Have you seen The Friends of Eddie Coyle? I blind bought it a while back due to the love showered upon it here and didn't regret it at all. Great movie, that one. Let me know how that Anthology of the Beasties is. I love those guys, but I've been skeptical of buying that.

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle was a blind buy for me as well. I haven't watched it yet, but I'll write something about it when I do.

The Beastie Boys set I actually found in a used record store for $11.99, so it wasn't part of B&N's Criterion sale. It was worth the money.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 pm
I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, and I'm sure you all got the same email as I did, but you can buy The Rules of the Game DVD for ~$14 with the promo code REGLE. However, they're going to be upgrading the film to Bluray soon (November). The DVD will be out of print at that time.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:51 pm
Excellent find. I ordered my copy.

I've always wanted to own this movie, but the price of Criterion DVDs is steep enough that I always promise myself I'll order them some other time.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 pm
Ken wrote:
Excellent find. I ordered my copy.

I've always wanted to own this movie, but the price of Criterion DVDs is steep enough that I always promise myself I'll order them some other time.

Cool. Glad to be of service to such a fine gentleman as yourself. They're clearly trying to get rid of their remaining DVD copies of the film since the Bluray transfer is upcoming, but you can't really beat $14 if you're a fan of the film (I haven't seen it and should probably get on that).

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 am
OK...it's not a Criterion Sale, but www.deepdiscount.com is have a Buy One Get One sale on selected Blu Rays. Surprisingly enough, there's some decent titles in the pool as well.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 pm
Just wanted to post this somewhere:

Regardless of what you think of the film itself, this is a damn cool cover.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Bondurant wrote:

Yeah, Barnes and Noble's prices are insanely high. Luckily, they do this sale twice a year. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd ever buy from them. $40 for a DVD/Bluray you can get elsewhere for $22-26 is ridiculous.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle was awesome! Highly Recommend. 8/10 for me

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:11 pm
bob harris wrote:

I've owned this for almost a year now and I still haven't watched it. Need to get on that some point soon.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:40 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
bob harris wrote:

I've owned this for almost a year now and I still haven't watched it. Need to get on that some point soon.

Dude! Watch that fucking movie!

And yes, the cover for The Game is outstanding. I haven't seen that movie since the theaters so I have no idea if I even like it. I will remedy that soon, and then contemplate buying said film when released based on my reaction.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm
New sale starting tomorrow:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... ale__/9749

The 39 Steps, Shallow Grave, Being John Malkovich, and The Samurai Trilogy are the ones I'm eying at the moment. I can already feel my wallet getting lighter.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 pm
God damn it... I need like four more jobs.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:17 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
New sale starting tomorrow:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... ale__/9749

The 39 Steps, Shallow Grave, Being John Malkovich, and The Samurai Trilogy are the ones I'm eying at the moment. I can already feel my wallet getting lighter.

Fucking right! I just said something to my girlfriend over the weekend about how their sale should be starting sometime soon. Thanks for the heads up, Blondie!

This is actually the worst possible time for me, as we're trying to save for a new car, house, and a slew of other "grown up" purchases. Naturally, those will have to be pushed back slightly in order to feed my Criterion addiction. Not sure what I'll be getting yet, but I'll report back when I do.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 am
Cinematographer

It's that time again.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Criteri ... /379003202

Since it's Halloween, I went and picked up Rosemary's Baby. Plus Quadrophenia for good measure.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:40 pm
Profile WWW