Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Justice League Movie? 
Assistant Director

Post Justice League Movie?
Joss whedon advice for a Justice League movie -> "Call me" lol
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/joss-whedons-advice-for-a-justice-league-movie-more-from-the-cast-of-the-avengers-20120503
I just made a video having fun with it
http://youtu.be/j6zSQqyAzXE :lol:
Would you like to see a "Justice League" movie? Who would you like to direct it?
Cheers

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Justice League Movie?
The short answer is, "No."

But the interesting thing is that they already tried. Another of WB's superhero projects that never made it out of the planning stages.

Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 pm
I'd love to see a Justice League film, and I think Bryan Singer would be the perfect choice to direct, as he knows how to balance character development and action.

Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm
It'll never happen.

However the Justice League cartoon is pretty solid. I'd recommend watching that if you want to see the Justice League brought to the screen.

Sat May 05, 2012 2:18 pm
Assistant Director

Thanks Ken for the link, interesting reading. Maybe the box office results of The Avengers make things happen for the Justice League :-)

Sat May 05, 2012 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I'd love to see a Justice League film, and I think Bryan Singer would be the perfect choice to direct, as he knows how to balance character development and action.

Cool! Bryan Singer is considered the director that started this wave of Superheroes in the movies. I liked the X-Man series. He would be good but I still prefer Joss Whedon for his combination of humour and heroics ;)

Last edited by unwindfilms on Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 05, 2012 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Frogster wrote:
It'll never happen.

However the Justice League cartoon is pretty solid. I'd recommend watching that if you want to see the Justice League brought to the screen.

When Star Trek the TV show finished some people thought that was it and then Star Wars came along and Paramount Pictures thought to themselves Don't we have some thing a bit similar and then the Star Trek movies came along too lol

I wonder what Warner Bros are thinking at the moment with all the money that Marvel/Disney is collecting with The Avengers ;)

Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Justice League in general doesn't garner much interest from me.

Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 am
mailedbypostman wrote:
The Justice League in general doesn't garner much interest from me.

Most people don't give a tremendous crap about Black Widow or Hawkeye, but that's not really the point.

Mon May 07, 2012 5:28 am
Director

Frogster wrote:
It'll never happen.

I like the idea of a Justice League movie. But I don't see it happening at least not for a while.

Consider that the most recent non-Batman DC Comics movie Green Lantern was a massive failure both artistically and at the box office. Consider that DC, aside from Batman and Superman, has not had the same level of success with its movies that Marvel has had.

DC's kind of in a catch 22 here. If they announce a Justice League movie tomorrow, naysayers will doubtlessly snipe that they're trying to cash in on the success of The Avengers. If they wait a while, it might be too little too late.

Vexer wrote:

Bryan Singer's a good choice. Joss Whedon (as proved by the Avengers_ is another one and so's Sam Raimi.

If I got the chance to direct a Justice League movie would I? Sure would.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Frogster wrote:
It'll never happen.

I like the idea of a Justice League movie. But I don't see it happening at least not for a while.

Consider that the most recent non-Batman DC Comics movie Green Lantern was a massive failure both artistically and at the box office. Consider that DC, aside from Batman and Superman, has not had the same level of success with its movies that Marvel has had.

DC's kind of in a catch 22 here. If they announce a Justice League movie tomorrow, naysayers will doubtlessly snipe that they're trying to cash in on the success of The Avengers. If they wait a while, it might be too little too late.

Vexer wrote:

Bryan Singer's a good choice. Joss Whedon (as proved by the Avengers_ is another one and so's Sam Raimi.

If I got the chance to direct a Justice League movie would I? Sure would.

Whedon probably has his hands full with The Avengers but for what is worth (maybe two cents lol) ,here are my thoughts for a Justice League movie:

I think that after 9/11 dark TV shows (like 24) and movies (like Bourne, Dark Knight) became the formula to succeed but by now after more than 10 years and the fact that Bin Laden is dead, people want to lighten up and a formula of humor/heroics (Avengers) are showing the way to satisfy this feeling. In brief DC has to lighten up his current approach of too much darkness and also embrace digital iMax and 3D too to take advantage of this wave ;-)

finally make no mistake Avengers, Iroman 1 are cool examples of making the superheroes cooler by mixing heroics with humour
The Green Hornet is a bad example of mixing humor with heroics by making the superhero a jerk

Fans would accept any minor deviation from the comic books in the movies if the superhero is enhanced and cooler but not by disrespecting him :-)

Tue May 08, 2012 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

A Justice League movie is definitely in the works according

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_doom/news/1925344/weekly_ketchup_wb_and_dc_comics_prepare_for_justice_league_push/

I think they could go right into it if use for the first one the well known core of DC Comics superheroes of : Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash. They could use the black green lantern as in the cartoon TV series or introduce Cyborg as in the new 52 DC Comics for a black superhero character.

What do you reckon? Do we need solo previous DC superheroes movies before getting to the Justice League as the strategy used by the Avengers or we can go right into it? ;-)

Cheers

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
I think Flash and Wonder Woman should have solo films before Justice League is made, that way they can get the backstory for those characters out of the way and they don't have spend much time explaining things in the JL film.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm
Vexer wrote:
I think Flash and Wonder Woman should have solo films before Justice League is made, that way they can get the backstory for those characters out of the way and they don't have spend much time explaining things in the JL film.

The reason I can't picture a JL film is because one of the primary members (one of the JL's leaders, in fact), Batman, has had films made that portray him in a manner that just doesn't make him conducive to working with other heroes. Even the idea of Robin appearing in one of Nolan's films is far-fetched, IMO. Also, I think that, as with the Avengers, each of the members would need to have his/her own film as a means of building up to such a group film.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 pm
Solo movies aren't necessary. Nobody gives a fuck about more than the perfunctory backstories for movies like this, and there have already been several superhero team movies in which the whole ensemble is basically new to the screen.

And given the reception that Green Lantern's solo movie got, solo movies aren't just unnecessary, they're probably not even a good idea.

Know what would be really interesting? Movies with original characters. Nobody knows who the Flash is anyway. There is no operative difference between an unknown licensed character and an unknown original character. Movies like The Incredibles, Wanted, and Hancock proved that not only are superhero-type movies without licensed source material feasible, but they are more conducive to experimentation and less likely to be bound to the formula. The only thing lost is the obsession that comic book people have with squeezing a little more mileage out of these decades-old ideas.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:26 am
Ken wrote:
Solo movies aren't necessary. Nobody gives a fuck about more than the perfunctory backstories for movies like this, and there have already been several superhero team movies in which the whole ensemble is basically new to the screen.

And given the reception that Green Lantern's solo movie got, solo movies aren't just unnecessary, they're probably not even a good idea.

Know what would be really interesting? Movies with original characters. Nobody knows who the Flash is anyway. There is no operative difference between an unknown licensed character and an unknown original character. Movies like The Incredibles, Wanted, and Hancock proved that not only are superhero-type movies without licensed source material feasible, but they are more conducive to experimentation and less likely to be bound to the formula. The only thing lost is the obsession that comic book people have with squeezing a little more mileage out of these decades-old ideas.

Speak for yourself, I for one do care about the characters having detailed backstories, I can understand why comic book fans don't care, they know the backstory and don't feel it's necessary for films to go into detail, but people like me (I.E. those who don't read a lot of comic books and who aren't real familiar with characters origins/backstories) would prfer to see solo films with Flash and Wonder Woman, ruling out solo films cause of Green Lantern's not-so-great reception seems a bit presumptious, I thought it was a pretty decent film overall, so I really don't see a problem with more solo DC films, besides, the studios are going to want to maximize profits, so solo DC films are pretty much inevitable, especially if Man Of Steel does well at the box-office.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:38 am
I feel like Vexer has made the same exact post 5301 times. I could care less about that.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:01 am
A list of superhero characters who were not introduced in solo movies before being featured as members of an ensemble:

Wolverine
Rogue
Cyclops
Storm
Jean Grey
Ice Man
Charles Xavier

And that's just one movie.

In the very excellent DC Animated Universe cartoons, entire seasons go by before we get so much as a glimpse of the Flash's private life. Green Lantern's backstory is alluded to, but never shown. Wonder Woman receives no backstory to speak of. And this is commonly thought of as one of the finest adaptations of these properties to date.

Now that Marvel has done it one way, I'm sure everybody will expect everything else to follow suit, because that's what happens when somebody proves that something can be done one way: they dismiss any other possibility out of hand.

This is all theoretical, of course. DC and Marvel both built their fortunes on other people's ideas and cut those people out of the fortune entirely. I'd rather this movie not happen at all.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I feel like Vexer has made the same exact post 5301 times. I could care less about that.

No he hasn't, he just made that particular post 1325 times....remember, he can only post 4 things Petey.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:06 am
Assistant Director

I read some valid points here but IMHO DC Comics characters are not only comics but they have been on TV and movies for ages at difference of the characters of the Avengers who only The Hulk (TV on 70s and movies on 2000s) was kind of popular until Iron man (2008) . Superman and Batman have been on TV since the 50s, 60s and in the movies in the 70s,80s and 2000s, Wonder Woman was hugely popular in the 70s on TV. Also, the justice league is not operating under a government agency such as S.H.I.E.L.D as in The Avengers, so not previous recruitment is necessary, they get together as soon a huge threat that requires to work together to successfully combat it appears on planet Earth .

In regarding, Batman being portrayed as "doesn't make him conducive to working with other heroes" well that was the case of Ironman and it did not stop the Avengers movie ;-)

Most people know the origins and superpowers of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern and knows that The Flash superpower is speed and if you want to know his origin here is a spoiler for you:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Origin of The Flash
Born to Henry and Nora Allen, Barry Allen is a police scientist (his job title was changed to a forensic scientist in The Flash: Iron Heights one-shot) with a reputation for being very slow, deliberate, and frequently late, which frustrates his fiancee, Iris West. One night, as he is preparing to leave work, a lightning bolt shatters a case full of chemicals and spills them all over Allen. As a result, Allen finds that he can run extremely fast and has matching reflexes. He dons a set of red tights sporting a lightning bolt, dubs himself the Flash

If there is something to learn from The Avengers movie was the entertaining banter among the superheroes which if you read "The DC Comics New 52 : Justice League - Volume 1 Origin" will see a bit similar

C'Mon guys and gals, time has come, bring the Justice league movie up soon !

Cheers

PS: Please shoot it originally in 3D and not post - converted as The Avengers ;-)

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 am
Profile WWW