Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Game of Thrones
Nick wrote:
Ok you know I'm a non-book reader but I know about 10 people who have not touched the novels either and the one question they keep asking this year is "why doesn't the red-head keep churning out vag assassins to kill everyone in power when needed?" and I have to admit I don't have a good answer since it was a short gestation period. My common answer was in reference to what Davos said to get her sent away to the North(?) in that Stannis would not have been able to legitimately claim the throne with a witch at his side. But nobody seems to really like when I bring this point up.

On another note:
You guys know for certain but god I'll be disappointed if
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Tyrion ends here, Ep9 ended with Ned getting the chop but this one seemed less certain for me - I know the series likes to shock but we didn't get much else than a nice big hack to the face and Pod comforting him. For me Dinklage is the glue on the TV series, remove him and the hole you dig will be almost impossible to get out of

I believe in the book, the vag assassin thing is done twice. And both times have a considerable impact on Stannis' physical health, making him appear to have aged a number of years. I'm guessing creating too many shadow babies in your likeness isn't too good for your long-term health. The other thing is that just killing Joffrey won't win him the Iron Throne, he'd need to also eliminate his siblings (who have the next 'claim' to the throne), as well as the rest of the Lannisters, who wouldn't give up so easily. Really the only practical thing would be to take King's Landing by force.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Stannis had Renly eliminated with magic, because he didn't want to have to sacrifice men to defeat his army. He knew that most of them would align themselves with him if Renly was out of the picture, hence why the shadow assassin was a practical choice.

Last edited by Awkward Beard Man on Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm
I have gotten some major spoilers of people getting axed, but I think the imp is here to stay for a whilllllleeeee.

Wed May 30, 2012 9:12 pm
Second Unit Director

My bad, spoilers have been added

Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Cold, emotionless and rigid would certainly be an improvement over a vicious idiot

I wouldn't characterize Ramsay Bolton as an idiot, though he goes beyond mere viciousness IMO (try "psychopathic sadist").

Actually referring to Joffrey, as Tyrion describes him.

Ah ok, then I completely agree, though you can add the words "fucking capricious brat" to the description of Joffrey. He is as Jon Snow said in the first book, "truly a little shit.".

Thu May 31, 2012 5:21 am
Nick wrote:
Ok you know I'm a non-book reader but I know about 10 people who have not touched the novels either and the one question they keep asking this year is "why doesn't the red-head keep churning out vag assassins to kill everyone in power when needed?" and I have to admit I don't have a good answer since it was a short gestation period. My common answer was in reference to what Davos said to get her sent away to the North(?) in that Stannis would not have been able to legitimately claim the throne with a witch at his side. But nobody seems to really like when I bring this point up.

On another note:
You guys know for certain but god I'll be disappointed if
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Tyrion ends here, Ep9 ended with Ned getting the chop but this one seemed less certain for me - I know the series likes to shock but we didn't get much else than a nice big hack to the face and Pod comforting him. For me Dinklage is the glue on the TV series, remove him and the hole you dig will be almost impossible to get out of

ABM mentioned a physical toll on Stannis, but this isn't really implied heavily in the book. There are theories, such as that since Melisandre gets her power from her god R'hllor, she cannot simply spawn the shadows at will whenever. You have a point as well about Melisandre not being able to generate anything but antipathy towards Stannis if she became known for spawning shadow creatures by the dozen, so it could also be that she is astute enough to realize that this power has to be used judiciously when at all.

Tyrion is the favorite character of a lot of people, including Mr. Martin himself. For me, it's a tie between him and Arya for favorite character of the series so far.

Thu May 31, 2012 5:27 am
Incredible that Episode 9 had the lowest rartings of Season 2 so far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Th ... 29#Ratings but still higher than any in Season 1.

Such a shame tomorrow's episode is the season finale. GoT should be a 16 episode show (at least!). I'm having withdrawl symptoms already just thinking about the reality that there will be no GoT next week.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:10 am
Ratings are a complete joke these days and HBO know it. The rampant piracy and word of mouth on this show is through the roof. DVD/Blu-Ray sales are further proof of this. Even with the overwhelming popularity I still think Season 3 will have 10 episodes, with all the pre-production, writing and special effects for a show of this scale the yearly turn around is pretty impressive.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 am
So I just finished watching the last episode of the season, and I have to say: I liked it, a lot. Some thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The overall theme of the story (the fight against the Others) was a nice way to end the episode with the march of their undead army towards to the Fist of the First Men. I also liked how it was touched upon during Dany's psychedelic journey through the House of the Undying.
- It's more dangerous to be one of Dany's handmaidens in the show than it's been so far in the books, given that as of Dance with Dragons, only Doreah is dead. Irri got it, and we haven't even seen Jhiqui at all this season (though I suppose it's because the actress playing her didn't return). There's still Missandrei, assuming that her character makes it into the show.
- It took some doing, but Arya finally got that coin.
- I'm going to enjoy watching Joffrey die.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:54 am
So much happened this episode!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
More than ever it reminded me this is a fantasy series;
Jaqen changing his appearance (my sister called me up expressing disappointment on this one) "'dat accent"
Dragon BBQ
Sam shitting a brick at the White Walkers - Honestly I forgot they were threat with all the political intrigue and backstabbing at King's Landing. Is this the same in the novels? They have seemed so minor in the series thus far. !!!!ZOMBIE HORSES!!!!

Watching it automatically made me quote Brody from Jaws "We're gonna need a bigger wall.."

Even though it was a minor appearance it was great to see Drogo again - man I miss that misogynistic bastard.

See you next year lads ;)

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:36 am
Gaffer

Nick wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jaqen changing his appearance (my sister called me up expressing disappointment on this one) "'dat accent"
Dragon BBQ
Sam shitting a brick at the White Walkers - Honestly I forgot they were threat with all the political intrigue and backstabbing at King's Landing. Is this the same in the novels? They have seemed so minor in the series thus far. !!!!ZOMBIE HORSES!!!!

Watching it automatically made me quote Brody from Jaws "We're gonna need a bigger wall.."

Even though it was a minor appearance it was great to see Drogo again - man I miss that misogynistic bastard.

Regarding White Walkers
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The White Walkers don't play a significant part until the third book. Look for a battle scene early next season and then after that the Walkers will take another leave of absence. George R.R. Martin has said that the sixth book will have a lot more to do with them.

Overall I really enjoyed this season with the last two episodes being the best. I would have liked to have seen Tyrion's chain and the bridge of ships, but for a television series the Blackwater battle was awesome. I also was looking forward to some Weasel soup, but understand they had to compress things.

Last edited by Adam_S on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm
Adam_S wrote:
Nick wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dragon BBQ

The White Walkers don't play a significant part until the third book. Look for a battle scene early next season and then after that the Walkers will take another leave of absence. George R.R. Martin has said that the sixth book will have a lot more to do with them.

Overall I really enjoyed this season with the last two episodes being the best. I would have liked to have seen Tyrion's chain and the bridge of ships, but for a television series the Blackwater battle was awesome. I also was looking forward to some Weasel soup, but understand they had to compress things.

Welcome to the forums, but I just wanna mention: if you're going to discuss plot elements that are coming up based on your knowledge from the books, it's a good idea to put the spoiler cover on. Some of the people here haven't read the books before watching the TV series, and we want to warn them before talking about anything related to the books that hasn't occurred yet, even if the possibility is there that they will change them when filming episodes.

I am looking forward to the next 2 seasons if it's true that both will be covering events from the 3rd book (Storm of Swords). Examples of things that I am anticipating:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The Red Wedding
- The Red Wedding
- Tyrion killing his father
- How Shae decides to betray him, given how their relationship has progressed in the series so far
- Arya and the Hound
- Arya and the Brotherhood
- Did I mention The Red Wedding?
- Oh yes, and that little shit Joffrey dying: I creamed my pants when I read through that in SoS.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:28 pm
Gaffer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Adam_S wrote:
Nick wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dragon BBQ

Welcome to the forums, but I just wanna mention: if you're going to discuss plot elements that are coming up based on your knowledge from the books, it's a good idea to put the spoiler cover on. Some of the people here haven't read the books before watching the TV series, and we want to warn them before talking about anything related to the books that hasn't occurred yet, even if the possibility is there that they will change them when filming episodes.

I am looking forward to the next 2 seasons if it's true that both will be covering events from the 3rd book (Storm of Swords). Examples of things that I am anticipating:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The Red Wedding
- The Red Wedding
- Tyrion killing his father
- How Shae decides to betray him, given how their relationship has progressed in the series so far
- Arya and the Hound
- Arya and the Brotherhood
- Did I mention The Red Wedding?
- Oh yes, and that little shit Joffrey dying: I creamed my pants when I read through that in SoS.

Sorry I went back and edited. I didn't even think about the spoiler tag. I agree with everything you wrote about the next two seasons. Especially the one you mentioned three times. I was so pissed off reading the book I wanted to throw it across the room.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:42 pm
Adam_S wrote:
Sorry I went back and edited. I didn't even think about the spoiler tag. I agree with everything you wrote about the next two seasons. Especially the one you mentioned three times. I was so pissed off reading the book I wanted to throw it across the room.

When I first read the scene that I mentioned 3 times in my last post, I was more shocked than angry at first. Yes, that event was set up with clues such as the following:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- The argument between the Freys that Arya noticed while at Harrenhal and her brief conversation with Elmar Frey.
- Catelyn realizing that Robb's wedding to Jeyne Westerling as the reason that the Freys at Riverrrun left for home, trampling the Stark banner as they did so.
- Black Walder's comments to Robb that his father wouldn't mind wedding a daughter to a widower (re: if Jeyne were to suddenly contract a case of knife-through-throat-itis).

But I still felt chills when I read the following part in the chapter describing the event:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- Catelyn feeling the iron rings beneath Edwyn Frey's tunic after he violently shook off Dacey Mormont's invitation to dance.

I did get angrier upon re-reading that scene. We'll see how it's portrayed in the TV series.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:06 pm
I have a theory about Tyrion in the coming season:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Instead of betraying him, Shae will be killed by his father as part of his policy of dealing harshly with whores, which will then spark Tyrion to the murder of Tywin in his privy. I'm thinking this because of the way the relationship between Shae and Tyrion has been built up thus far in this series. Of course, this could be deliberately set up to make any betrayal more shocking.

We'll see what happens.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Nick wrote:
Ratings are a complete joke these days and HBO know it. The rampant piracy and word of mouth on this show is through the roof. DVD/Blu-Ray sales are further proof of this. Even with the overwhelming popularity I still think Season 3 will have 10 episodes, with all the pre-production, writing and special effects for a show of this scale the yearly turn around is pretty impressive.

From the way the ratings have climbed from the previous season, it seems like the show is taking the same route as the books: starting off slow, but gaining popularity via good word-of-mouth. The good thing is the next season promises to be much more eventful than the last 2 have been based on the books.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 pm
So being desperate for more GoT goodness after Season 2 ended, I played through Game of Thrones the Game (PC version for Windows). http://www.gamespot.com/game-of-thrones ... atform/pc/
In a nutshell, surprisingly good. Story takes part parallel to the happenings in Season 1 of the TV show. Acting generally excellent. Overlapping actors (Cersei and Varys) from the show provide voice work and character models were rendered to look like the TV show actors also, so all-in-all pretty seamless integration. As a non-reader of the books I'm not too sure how canon the story was, but IMO it was actually very good for a video game, and complemented the TV show well. Actual gameplay was very average for this type of game (RPG), but the excellent and compelling story kept me coming back for more. Overall IMO it's worth checking out if you are a fan of the show and enjoy video games (but probably best to wait for bargain bin or 2nd hand).

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:14 am
Finally got around to watching the last 2 episodes of the series. Watching it with a non-book reader so it's kinda fun sitting there hearing his theories of upcoming episodes.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
- I loved the scene with Bronn and Sandor before the battle, even though it had no basis from the books. It's a great example of the way in which the makers of the show have taken license in a creative manner that still holds true to the spirit of the source material.

Since Martin himself wrote that episode, I guess you can thank him for taking license with his own source material. :)
Perhaps that was something he was noodling around putting in the book but he didn't have a POV character in place to be able to observe such a scene.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dany never got her warning of "three treasons" to come, which overshadows a lot of her motivations in subsequent books. I didn't think that would be something they would discard as it was pretty big in the novels.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 am
johnny larue wrote:
Finally got around to watching the last 2 episodes of the series. Watching it with a non-book reader so it's kinda fun sitting there hearing his theories of upcoming episodes.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
- I loved the scene with Bronn and Sandor before the battle, even though it had no basis from the books. It's a great example of the way in which the makers of the show have taken license in a creative manner that still holds true to the spirit of the source material.

Since Martin himself wrote that episode, I guess you can thank him for taking license with his own source material. :)
Perhaps that was something he was noodling around putting in the book but he didn't have a POV character in place to be able to observe such a scene.

Who better to mess around with the source material than the creator of said source material? :)

johnny larue wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dany never got her warning of "three treasons" to come, which overshadows a lot of her motivations in subsequent books. I didn't think that would be something they would discard as it was pretty big in the novels.

I imagine this is coming in Season 3, as we likely haven't seen the last of Quaithe yet. I'm guessing this will happen before Dany and Co leave Qarth.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm
Director

Just watched Season 1, does anyone know when Season 2 is being released on dvd?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 pm
Second Unit Director

No release date as of yet. Judging by Season 1's release date, expect around March 2013.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next