Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
Game of Thrones 
Post Re: Game of Thrones
MunichMan wrote:
Definitely agree with The Rok. Initially, Sansa is portrayed as a weak, head-in-the-clouds, romantic who dreams of finding her perfect prince who will make everything all right. Definitely not a likable character compared to Arya, for example. I think Sansa's story arc is fascinating. She moves from this weak, Pollyanna-type dreamer to one who recognizes and realizes the true state of things and grows accordingly. If the series follows the books, Sansa will become much more sympathetic.

Basically, Lady Lysa Arryn is an example of an innocent who either couldn't or wouldn't adapt to the harsh reality of the world of Westeros. She's what Sansa could have become if she hadn't gone through the experiences that she did.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 pm
Quote:
Anyway, what was the deal with that shadow baby?!?!?!

Seriously!! Definitely the biggest fantasy element this series has seen aside from dragons. Pretty sure all non-book readers said out loud "What...The...Fuck?"

You'd think they couldn't possibly make Dinklage more awesome but they managed. The whole "That was a threat...see the difference?" conversation was great, and Bronn probably had the funniest line from both series
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"There's no cure for being a cunt"
. Probably my favourite secondary character in the series. I just wish there was a way of watching all the episodes now, I really hate waiting around for new episodes of this show.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm
The story continues along in the 2nd season at a pace that for me is approaching breakneck speed compared to the books, though of course I understand why this had to be done (if they paid more close attention to details in the books, this series would probably be at season 3 by the time we got through the action in the 2nd book). Here are some more detailed thoughts after the last 2 episodes:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- I had doubts about the acting ability of Gwendoline Christie after her first appearance as Brienne in the series, but the episode "The Ghost of Harrenhal" changed my initial impression to a more favorable one in the scene where Renly gets it.
- Talisa (Oona Chaplin) was the obviously love interest for Robb from the moment we first met her on screen, but she is definitely a stronger and more interesting character than Robb's wife from the books, Jeyne Westerling. I can understand why they avoided keeping her name as Jeyne, given that there are 3 characters in the books with that name (Jeyne Heddle and Jeyne Poole being the other 2).
- Alfie Allen is doing a great job so far of conveying the conflict that exists within Theon, particularly in the scene where he executes Ser Rodrik.
- I can see the interaction between Arya and Lord Tywin as an expression of the thoughts that Arya had of him in the book (though they never spoke to each other). Arya saw her father in him when seeing him for the first time. The interaction between the 2 of them is certainly more lively than between Arya and Lord Bolton in the 2nd book.
- Another Arya note: it was more gratifying to see her use her 2nd murder-to-order on Amory Lorch, who she wanted to kill in the book but didn't after using her 2nd murder on Weese (who doesn't show up in the show).
- Stannis Baratheon as depicted in the series is a more calculating character than the one in the books from what I can see. I'm wondering how they will portray his decision to head to the North to aid the Night's Watch.
- Another Joffrey Slap by Tyrion! YES!

Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 pm
A buddy of mine who I watch the series with got a kick out of the fact that during the opening credits, when the POV pauses over Harrenhal, there are no gears turning or spires that rise out of the ground...it just sits there inert. Nice touch.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Also, Arya's line to Tywin that "Anybody can be killed" followed by the hard, unblinking stare was a hoot too. Of course, that kind of upends the logic in the book as to who are the 3 she has killed. In the book she only saw Tywin at a distance and chose 3 who were causing her more direct turmoil, then kicked herself later for not selecting Tywin. On the show, I don't know HOW Tywin wouldn't be forefront in her mind, especially as he is plotting the best way to get Robb right in front of her. Unless they throw the books right out the window and on to the bonfire by having her pick Tywin in the show as #3....but I don't really see that happening.

Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm
johnny larue wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Also, Arya's line to Tywin that "Anybody can be killed" followed by the hard, unblinking stare was a hoot too. Of course, that kind of upends the logic in the book as to who are the 3 she has killed. In the book she only saw Tywin at a distance and chose 3 who were causing her more direct turmoil, then kicked herself later for not selecting Tywin. On the show, I don't know HOW Tywin wouldn't be forefront in her mind, especially as he is plotting the best way to get Robb right in front of her. Unless they throw the books right out the window and on to the bonfire by having her pick Tywin in the show as #3....but I don't really see that happening.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I think that Arya's choices for murders so far are a simple product of condensing the book plot, particularly in the case of the Tickler, who was killed directly by Arya in the 3rd book. I'm a little disappointed at that, since I found that scene to be one of the funniest in the books despite it's bloody nature ("Is there gold hidden in the village?" she shouted as she drove the blade up through his back. "...How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? Is there gold in the village?")

Perhaps the murder of Lorch practically in front of Tywin will cause him to leave Harrenhal or at least tighten security around himself to the point where Jaqen cannot get to him. There's also the possibility that his interaction with Arya will cause her to forget about targeting him until after he leaves, after which she will then mentally kick herself. I do not see Tywin dying at Harrenhal, as his death at the hands of Tyrion is a key moment in the books as part of his character development.

Tue May 08, 2012 5:39 pm
Some more thoughts after having taken some time to digest the last episode, "A Man Without Honor":

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- I'm thinking that Jaime is being shown to be more ruthless than he was in the books (with killing his distant cousin) as a way of making a greater contrast to what his character becomes after he loses his sword hand (which will likely happen next season). They are also neatly tying in the desire of Lord Karstark for revenge, though making Torrhen a guard was a demotion from his role in the 1st book.
- The scenes with Arya and Tywin are proving to be among the most interesting in the series so far, as the show expands on the one impression that Arya got of him in the second book. For Arya, Tywin is a surrogate for her own dead father, while for Tywin, Arya is the feisty daughter that he could have had.
- Having Xaro killing the rest of the Thirteen is the biggest departure from the books so far in the series, but they were portrayed in such a negative way that one could be gleeful while watching them die. I wish that they'd get on with having Dany go through the House of the Undying, though.
- I'm disappointed that Ghost hasn't shown up in any of the scenes with Jon and Ygritte thus far. In the book, the presence of his direwolf was a key factor in helping Jon to convince Mance Rayder and the wildlings that he wanted to join them. Perhaps it will happen in the next episode.

Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 pm
I know we only have a couple of people discussing the series here but with the spoiler tags are you putting book spoilers, show spoilers or both in? I've had to briefly skim and skip some of blocks here because I caught a couple of book spoilers last week. I know they are readily available but as a non-reader of the series I'm not sure what I can and can't reveal. I'm not annoyed at all but just curious what you guys are using as spoilers.

The latest episode reminded me why I love this series so much. The scene with Cersei and Tyrion had me totally sympathising with her the whole time and then after the episode I just went "hold up a second this character has been a complete ruthless c**t on multiple occasions".

On first viewing I thought Theon displaying his new wind chimes in Winterfell put him at Joffrey level but the look on his face makes him seem genuniely conflicted and worried (doesn't excuse him at all, just not Joffrey-level of douchebaggery). I know you guys know where the character stands morally and storywise but for people like me the series just keeps getting better with its shades of grey.

Fun note of the week: GoT is now the most pirated show of the year, doesn't surprise me even more-so for international people like me who have no real option if we want to keep up with the US. Every newcomer to the show I know just loves it, this show is just going to continue growing if the quality continues.

Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 am
Nick wrote:
I know we only have a couple of people discussing the series here but with the spoiler tags are you putting book spoilers, show spoilers or both in? I've had to briefly skim and skip some of blocks here because I caught a couple of book spoilers last week. I know they are readily available but as a non-reader of the series I'm not sure what I can and can't reveal. I'm not annoyed at all but just curious what you guys are using as spoilers.

The latest episode reminded me why I love this series so much. The scene with Cersei and Tyrion had me totally sympathising with her the whole time and then after the episode I just went "hold up a second this character has been a complete ruthless c**t on multiple occasions".

On first viewing I thought Theon displaying his new wind chimes in Winterfell put him at Joffrey level but the look on his face makes him seem genuniely conflicted and worried (doesn't excuse him at all, just not Joffrey-level of douchebaggery). I know you guys know where the character stands morally and storywise but for people like me the series just keeps getting better with its shades of grey.

Fun note of the week: GoT is now the most pirated show of the year, doesn't surprise me even more-so for international people like me who have no real option if we want to keep up with the US. Every newcomer to the show I know just loves it, this show is just going to continue growing if the quality continues.

I put in spoilers for any plot points I discuss, whether from book or show. However, keep in mind that since the show is based off the books, it's usually in the context of comparing scenes in the book with their portrayal in the show or discussing how upcoming scenes will be portrayed (eg: the Red Wedding).

Cersei is certainly being portrayed in a more sympathetic light earlier in the show than she was at the same point in the books (where we didn't get to see her as a PoV character until the 4th book). They are emphasizing (rightly) the lengths to which she will go to protect her children, and it will make her less of a cardboard-cutout bitch.

As for the show being pirated: I can't that I'm shocked. I've got the monthly subscription for HBO as part of my cable package, but it sure isn't cheap.

Thu May 17, 2012 3:03 pm
After this past episode, "The Prince of Winterfell", I had one question:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
How will Arya get the iron coin that gets her to Braavos later?

Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 pm
Quote:
I kinda hate to say it (and maybe I'm too early with this rant), but having just watched Episode 3 of Season 2 last night, I'm starting to think this season is definitely a bit shit (compared to Season 1). It doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and is severely suffering from focus (they're switching to different threads every minute - does the book swap character arcs every other page?).

Well I take all that back (I was too early with that rant!). It seems scenes are definitely being allowed to continue longer now, and the the story is increasingly becoming more engaging. GoT is still the best thing going, bar none.
(I have not read the books, or a synopsis of the books - I am watching this show exactly as any other).

Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 am
Yep, I'm still (mostly) spoiler free and am absolutely loving this season. It's not better than the first because it's just as good and it annoys me reading some boards and twitter with people saying how bad the past episode complaining and asking for the blood-letting! For me it was one of my favourite episodes thus far. The scene with Cersei and Tyrion was searing with intensity and the Ros reveal was relief and heartbreak. I swear Dinklage is one of the best actors to use the eyes to sell multiple scenes and when he goes back to Shae, brilliant - I can see him getting more awards this year.

I know battle scenes seem to be a big part of the novels but I gotta say I much prefer the scheming, plotting and character development than any action scene could provide. We've all seen big scale battles done by Hollywood on 20x the budget so if they gloss over them in the TV show then fine by me, i'll gladly watch Tyrion getting annoyed at Bronn cleaning his fingernails anyday.

Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 am
Nick wrote:
I know battle scenes seem to be a big part of the novels but I gotta say I much prefer the scheming, plotting and character development than any action scene could provide. We've all seen big scale battles done by Hollywood on 20x the budget so if they gloss over them in the TV show then fine by me, i'll gladly watch Tyrion getting annoyed at Bronn cleaning his fingernails anyday.

Another great HBO series, Rome, showed that you can make compelling drama around battles without having to depict them in anything resembling full detail (see episodes "Pharsalus" and "Phillipi" for key examples). The characters and dialogue are more important, and the producers of GoT seem to understand this well.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:53 pm
Quote:
Another great HBO series, Rome, showed that you can make compelling drama around battles without having to depict them in anything resembling full detail (see episodes "Pharsalus" and "Phillipi" for key examples).

And then came Episode 9 of GoT, with pretty much the best battle scenes ever on TV! Wow, just wow.

Last edited by Nitrium on Mon May 28, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 28, 2012 6:44 am
Nitrium wrote:
Quote:
Another great HBO series, Rome, showed that you can make compelling drama around battles without having to depict them in anything resembling full detail (see episodes "Pharsalus" and "Phillipi" for key examples).

And then came Episode 8 of GoT, with pretty much the best battle scenes ever on TV! Wow, just wow.

Yep, I think I find "Blackwater" to easily be one of my favorite episodes of the entire series (both seasons). Some more specific thoughts:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
- They dotted all the "i's" and "t's" in terms of main points in the Battle of the Blackwater: Clegane fleeing due to his phobia of fire, Lancel trying to stand up to Cersei and failing badly, Sansa finding some strength within herself in a time of stress, Ser Mandon Moore's attempt to kill Tyrion, and of course the last-minute rescue by the combined forces of Loras and Tywin.
- The very idea of devoting the ENTIRE episode to the battle was a great one to start with, IMO.
- A couple of minor grumbling points: I do wish that they had a bit more in the way of tenderness in the scene with Sandor and Sansa, but in the context of its portrayal in the series up to that point, I guess it made a bit more sense. I also wish that there was a bit more buildup behind Ser Moore's attempt on Tyrion's life in terms of seeing the hand of Cersei behind it.
- Wildfire is probably the Westeros term for liquid C-4 according to the producers of the show when compared with its portrayal in the books. Pretty impressive stuff.
- I loved the scene with Bronn and Sandor before the battle, even though it had no basis from the books. It's a great example of the way in which the makers of the show have taken license in a creative manner that still holds true to the spirit of the source material.

EDIT: I forgot to add- I loved that they put in a rendition of "The Rains of Castamere" at the end of the episode.

Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 am
Wow, just Wow what an episode. For a TV budget this was spectacular, part of me wishes it was film level budget. I almost forget we still had Dany, Jon and Robb as characters after this one.

Well it pretty much sold me on Stannis, this is the character I want on the Iron Throne by the end of the series. He may be completely cold and emotionless but the man sure knows what it means to lead by example.

Take that Michael Bay!! Now that's what I call a real explosion.

So many highlights in this episode - Lena Headey gave her best performance as Cersei, getting more intoxicated scene by scene was captivating and helped me finally go to Sansa's side after whining a few weeks ago in this thread. Pretty sure Dinklage secured another Emmy nomination again (though he is probably lead actor this year and it might finally go deservedly to Jon Hamm).

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to add- I loved that they put in a rendition of "The Rains of Castamere" at the end of the episode.

I sat glued to my seat this entire episode more than ever, once those credits started rolling and I heard that sweet, sweet baritone of Matt Berninger's voice I was stunned. How did I miss that one of my all-time favourite bands had collaborated with the best show on TV?

Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 am
Nick wrote:
Well it pretty much sold me on Stannis, this is the character I want on the Iron Throne by the end of the series. He may be completely cold and emotionless but the man sure knows what it means to lead by example.

Stannis is rigid and unyielding in his beliefs, but I still liked him as a character if only because by comparison his enemies are largely scum (currently he's dealing with the Boltons in the North in the books, and they are among the most despicable characters in the entire series).

Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 pm
Second Unit Director

Cold, emotionless and rigid would certainly be an improvement over a vicious idiot

Wed May 30, 2012 12:10 am
Awkward Beard Man wrote:
Cold, emotionless and rigid would certainly be an improvement over a vicious idiot

I wouldn't characterize Ramsay Bolton as an idiot, though he goes beyond mere viciousness IMO (try "psychopathic sadist").

Wed May 30, 2012 1:01 am
Second Unit Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Awkward Beard Man wrote:

I wouldn't characterize Ramsay Bolton as an idiot, though he goes beyond mere viciousness IMO (try "psychopathic sadist").

Actually referring to Joffrey, as Tyrion describes him.

Wed May 30, 2012 3:36 am
Ok you know I'm a non-book reader but I know about 10 people who have not touched the novels either and the one question they keep asking this year is "why doesn't the red-head keep churning out vag assassins to kill everyone in power when needed?" and I have to admit I don't have a good answer since it was a short gestation period. My common answer was in reference to what Davos said to get her sent away to the North(?) in that Stannis would not have been able to legitimately claim the throne with a witch at his side. But nobody seems to really like when I bring this point up.

On another note:
You guys know for certain but god I'll be disappointed if
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Tyrion ends here, Ep9 ended with Ned getting the chop but this one seemed less certain for me - I know the series likes to shock but we didn't get much else than a nice big hack to the face and Pod comforting him. For me Dinklage is the glue on the TV series, remove him and the hole you dig will be almost impossible to get out of

Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next