Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 am

Diablo 3 
Cinematographer

Post Diablo 3
Any fans of the classic hack and slash genre? I know I am. What do you guys think of Blizzards latest?

So far it's been marred by network issues, game bugs, and dogmatic requirements. I've been kicked off of my single player campaign at least 3 times in 2 days because I lost connection with the servers. I think its preposterous. There have been some very interesting articles recently about what this means for the future of PC gaming. But if you take away all of that and look only at the gaming experience, Diablo 3 does exactly what it's meant to do and nothing more. Or at least, nothing worth while.

Wed May 23, 2012 4:03 pm
Post Re: Diablo 3
For one, I'm not a PC gamer at all....sounds like too much work to constantly update your computer so you can play games the right way. Also, I'm not THAT much of a nerd to do so. Lastly, this post from Blizzard does not install confidence in their security or company as a whole:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5152409863?page=1

Wed May 23, 2012 8:32 pm
I enjoy some PC games, but only the ones that DON'T require constant updates and installs, so I mostly older PC games, I'm not really a fan online gaming at all and have zero interest in this game.

Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Cinematographer

I've never really been bothered by updates and installs, but things are getting worse lately. Usually, it's just dealing with Steam, which is simple and streamlined. But nowadays I have to deal with Origin and Battle.net. And those ones suck.

Also, I am not a Blizzard die hard by any means. They make some good games, but they definitely didn't spend 12 years working up to Diablo 3. It was probably a 2 year development cycle, and it's obvious that they hadn't worked all the bugs out.

But if you haven't ever played Diablo games, you should check out Diablo 2. It's a great game for when you're at an airport or something... It's aged extremely well.

Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Any fans of the classic hack and slash genre? I know I am. What do you guys think of Blizzards latest?

So far it's been marred by network issues, game bugs, and dogmatic requirements. I've been kicked off of my single player campaign at least 3 times in 2 days because I lost connection with the servers. I think its preposterous. There have been some very interesting articles recently about what this means for the future of PC gaming. But if you take away all of that and look only at the gaming experience, Diablo 3 does exactly what it's meant to do and nothing more. Or at least, nothing worth while.

I'm not surprised by the network issues, as it's pretty clear to me that Blizzard (perhaps deliberately) underestimated the demand, much like they had with World of Warcraft. Hence, the servers crash because the entire @##@ing world has been trying to play. For now, I'm content with playing multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 while waiting for Blizzard to expand their server network to accommodate the massive flood.

As for the game itself, it didn't make earth-shattering changes to the gameplay, but quite frankly, it didn't need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you're looking for other games to play while waiting for Blizzard to sort out their D3 server issues, you may want to check out ME3, Skyrim, or SWTOR if you haven't done so already.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
I'm not surprised by the network issues, as it's pretty clear to me that Blizzard (perhaps deliberately) underestimated the demand, much like they had with World of Warcraft. Hence, the servers crash because the entire @##@ing world has been trying to play. For now, I'm content with playing multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 while waiting for Blizzard to expand their server network to accommodate the massive flood.

As for the game itself, it didn't make earth-shattering changes to the gameplay, but quite frankly, it didn't need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you're looking for other games to play while waiting for Blizzard to sort out their D3 server issues, you may want to check out ME3, Skyrim, or SWTOR if you haven't done so already.

Diablo 3 server issues are over by now, the network drops I've experienced were on my end, I'm working through it with Comcast. It's just annoying that I have to deal with that in a single player game. I'm curious how the game is going to be cracked - it might be worth downloading just so I don't have to rely on battle.net.

As for ME3 multiplayer, it amazes me how bad people still are at that game. If you play as a Salarian Infiltrator with either the Widow or Claymore you basically can't die. And you top the scoreboard every game.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:40 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Diablo 3 server issues are over by now, the network drops I've experienced were on my end, I'm working through it with Comcast. It's just annoying that I have to deal with that in a single player game. I'm curious how the game is going to be cracked - it might be worth downloading just so I don't have to rely on battle.net.

Ugh, Comcast sucks donkey balls, my friend.

darthyoshi wrote:
As for ME3 multiplayer, it amazes me how bad people still are at that game. If you play as a Salarian Infiltrator with either the Widow or Claymore you basically can't die. And you top the scoreboard every game.

I prefer to go with either a Krogan soldier or battlemaster with the Claymore, as they're tough enough to go toe-to-toe reaper ravagers and survive. Infiltrators are good, but don't count out engineers and Vanguards.

Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 am
Which platform do you guys play ME3 on? I've slowed down a bit on that game since Diablo III but don't mind the occasional game, my blood starts to boil when people with 500+ N7 rankings still don't understand how the game works. Or AFKers, i've noticed a lot more of that lately.

I'm loving Diablo III but the itemisation seems a bit off, hopefully they realise this because a lot of others have the same complaints. Servers will eventually sort themselves out like Warcraft so I'm a bit more forgiving on that front.

Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 am
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Ugh, Comcast sucks donkey balls, my friend.

They've been fine until recently, but they're really the only option where I live.

I play ME3 on PC. I think the multiplayer is a lot more manageable with a keyboard and mouse; I play gold all the time but my roommate says its basically impossible on the console.

I used to play as an engineer, and I did pretty well. But then I realized that the top scores were always Infiltrators or Adepts, so I switched things up. It's not a very balanced game.

I stopped leveling up because I don't feel like playing as characters that suck. I don't know how people tolerate getting up to level 1000. And none of them are any better for it.

Thu May 24, 2012 12:51 pm
Nick wrote:
Which platform do you guys play ME3 on? I've slowed down a bit on that game since Diablo III but don't mind the occasional game, my blood starts to boil when people with 500+ N7 rankings still don't understand how the game works. Or AFKers, i've noticed a lot more of that lately.

I play on the PC platform. There are still so many people playing that I haven't run into that many people who've been AFK throughout an entire round (just one player so far, in fact). I do see the players with high N7 rankings who don't really know how to play the game, though. Mostly, it's because they tend to forget that it's a team game rather than a chance for them to rack up their personal kill total. Those players tend to be the ones who die when they get surrounded by more than they can handle, or they're the morons who keep thinking that going to a spawn point is how they'll get their kills/

Thu May 24, 2012 2:53 pm