Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Nation You Most Would Like to Visit 
Author Message
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
Come on down! Though I would imagine my wife would be more excited if you actually WERE Hugh Grant.


Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 am
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
JamesKunz wrote:
I didnt know you spoke Portuguese. That's cool!


Thanks. I live and work for more than 26 years now in Portugal - among Portuguese people. So yep, I really speak the language and understand most of the Brazilan varieties. Brazil must be totally awesome - if you know where to go. I kind of refrain from visiting countries where I don't understand one word of the language. Here in Western Europe two countries are infamous for people refusing to speak English: Spain and France. I believe that it has to do with the fact that Spanish and French are phonetically and in terms of vocabulary too far away from any English variety. Might be a pride thing as well. Portuguese and Italian people, just as examples, have no problem accepting English if they understand and speak this language, and the young folks are getting better with each generation.
Germany should be no problem regarding English as well. The problem is that we are/were not exposed enough to the language. Everything is dubbed in Germany and any foreign documentary has a loud voiceover in German. Again: younger folks are getting better and better.


Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 am
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
JamesKunz wrote:
Australia because it seems to combine my two travel loves. I love walking through cities and discovering all manner of human-created wonder, and I like seeing natural "holy-shit-look-at-that-beautiful-vista" type wonder. Australia seems to have both in abundance.


Someone once told me to avoid Australia. Said I'd have to shit my pants just so the flies would stay off my face. I thought that statement wonderfully politically incorrect and love repeating it...all the Aussies probably hate me now. Actually, I wouldn't mind visiting Oz. Quite a huge place though. I imagine you'd have to spend some time to get the complete experience.

As for the question, I'd like to visit Japan much for the same reason as Mr. Kunz describes. Neon Tokyo versus some of the most idyllic nature. Why not Japan?


Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 am
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Australia because it seems to combine my two travel loves. I love walking through cities and discovering all manner of human-created wonder, and I like seeing natural "holy-shit-look-at-that-beautiful-vista" type wonder. Australia seems to have both in abundance.


Someone once told me to avoid Australia. Said I'd have to shit my pants just so the flies would stay off my face. I thought that statement wonderfully politically incorrect and love repeating it...all the Aussies probably hate me now. Actually, I wouldn't mind visiting Oz. Quite a huge place though. I imagine you'd have to spend some time to get the complete experience.

As for the question, I'd like to visit Japan much for the same reason as Mr. Kunz describes. Neon Tokyo versus some of the most idyllic nature. Why not Japan?


I want to rock Japan too. As to your point about "getting the complete experience," I have long since realized that I have neither the time nor the funds to "completely experience" any real place, with the exception of the small American cities I daytrip to (I don't think there were many stones in Manchester, New Hampshire that I left unturned, so to speak) so I just do the best I can. If that meant seeing Sydney and Melbourne but not Perth and Uluru, I could deal with that

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 am
Profile
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
In no particular order, these are the places I'd like to visit (and possibly live. Don't see myself staying here forever) before I kick the bucket:

- Italy (specifically Sicily. I'm a full quarter Sicilian, and it's essentially the only culture I was raised with aside from Americana.)

- Ireland (not Northern Ireland)

- The Netherlands (specifically Amsterdam)

- France (I'm such a sucker for French girls. Like, it's ridiculous. They don't even have to be all that pretty, if i hear that accent I melt.)

- Argentina

- Brazil (another place where the women turn me to mush)

- Chile

- Spain

- Portugal

There's probably more. But I can always edit the list later.


Thu May 17, 2012 2:33 pm
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
If it's attractive women you're after, then you need to go to Israel. I've been to nearly 60 countries, and on a per capita basis, Israel wins hands down. Ukraine has the reputation of having the most beautiful women, but I think that's just because most of the younger women dress like prostitutes. Seriously, 80% of the women in Ukraine dress like hookers. I think this makes men think they're available, which increases the perceived attractiveness. That's my theory at least. Not that I'm complaining, but it does call for some serious gaze control when traveling with your wife. There are definitely lots of great looking women there, but Israel still wins.

As for Brazil, there are certainly plenty of stunners, but they are the exception rather than the rule. In Israel, the stunners are the rule rather than the exception.

Then again, maybe there's something about a good looking woman with an Uzi that just turns me on.


Sat May 19, 2012 4:09 am
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7269
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Nation You Most Would Like to Visit
MunichMan wrote:
If it's attractive women you're after, then you need to go to Israel. I've been to nearly 60 countries, and on a per capita basis, Israel wins hands down. Ukraine has the reputation of having the most beautiful women, but I think that's just because most of the younger women dress like prostitutes. Seriously, 80% of the women in Ukraine dress like hookers. I think this makes men think they're available, which increases the perceived attractiveness. That's my theory at least. Not that I'm complaining, but it does call for some serious gaze control when traveling with your wife. There are definitely lots of great looking women there, but Israel still wins.

As for Brazil, there are certainly plenty of stunners, but they are the exception rather than the rule. In Israel, the stunners are the rule rather than the exception.

Then again, maybe there's something about a good looking woman with an Uzi that just turns me on.


Plus Israel's an awesome country to visit. So really you can't lose

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat May 19, 2012 9:22 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr