Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 pm

May 10, 2012: "Unplugged" 
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
I like facebook. It's a quick and easy tool to find out what my friends are up to or to organise meetups. I like having a phone that can give me directions (I hate navigating cities), tell me what busses to catch, and can give me a brief distraction when I need to escape the rest of the world for a few minutes.

But it's also pretty easy to disconnect from all that stuff. I only really use these things for a few minutes a couple of times a day. I can understand why people get sucked in, but I can't say I'm one of them.

Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm
Director

While I am on Facebook and like it, I see it as whta it is: An onliine way of keeping in touch with people. I don't get caught up in thing like those FB games (Farmville and their ilk) which I find boring as hell. I get many requests for them and my response is sorry. In the words of Public Enemy I can't do nuttin for ya man.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 am
Second Unit Director

Patrick wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?

Well it could be being fired at work for not answering your boss's call....duh.

If you have a job where the employer thinks you're on call 24/7, you better be pulling in a salary of at least a quarter of a million a year, or be looking for a better job.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm
dps wrote:
Patrick wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?

Well it could be being fired at work for not answering your boss's call....duh.

If you have a job where the employer thinks you're on call 24/7, you better be pulling in a salary of at least a quarter of a million a year, or be looking for a better job.

Acceptable jobs that one is required to be on call 24/7.

Even with the following listed, one is only on call for a certain period of time...ie a week out of the month, then one usually swaps out with another:

Physician
Criminal Attorney
Corporate Attorney (Attorney might be truly 24/7 if on retainer)
Project Engineer for any industrial complex (usually will go in rotation with other project engineers)
Fireman
Detective
some kind of Civil Utility Manager

Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Acceptable jobs that one is required to be on call 24/7.

Even with the following listed, one is only on call for a certain period of time...ie a week out of the month, then one usually swaps out with another:

Physician
Criminal Attorney
Corporate Attorney (Attorney might be truly 24/7 if on retainer)
Project Engineer for any industrial complex (usually will go in rotation with other project engineers)
Fireman
Detective
some kind of Civil Utility Manager

-IT Support...because computers rarely sleep.

Mon May 14, 2012 11:03 pm
Cinematographer

After my employer decided to cut costs by limiting company funded cell phones to management, I cheerfully turned mine in and haven't had one for three years. So far, the only person seriously impacted by that has been my wife. She can't stand not being able to get in touch with me at will and worries constantly when I'm traveling on business. She and I are opposite in that regard. She never wants to be unplugged and is glued to her iPhone all day, even sometimes waking up to pings in the night. I get pressure from her all the time to get a personal phone just to appease her need to always stay connected.

Also - no Facebook for me. I like my social interactions to occur face-to-face for some reason and don't much care for electronic communications. I do like online forums since there is no time pressure or need for immediate responses. That releases a lot of the more imaginative folks to craft very clever and entertaining dialog which I very much enjoy absorbing in my free time.

Wed May 16, 2012 8:59 am