Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:49 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
May 10, 2012: "Unplugged" 
Author Message
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Vexer wrote:
P.S. IMO fantasy sports lineups are one of the stupidest and most pointless things ever, I don't even care about real sports teams.


Ummm...I don't even know what to say. I love sports. Besides following my Auburn Tigers religiously, I watch more than 50% braves games a year, and golf every sunday (until football season obviously, then it's time for F A N T A S Y F O O T B A L L). The NFL is so fun to watch (at least to me), and playing fantasy just adds to it because you have to keep up with your players. Also, you might be singing a different tune to "the most pointless things ever" when you are in a 12 man league, each of which puts up $500. $5500 goes to the winner, and 2nd place gets his money back. Trust me, when that much money is at stake, you have to be able to make lineup changes on the fly at a moments notice. Sometimes the team won't release information about a player starting or not until 5 minutes from kickoff.


Fri May 11, 2012 7:35 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I have been walking to class only to get an email saying class was cancelled numerous times. The smart phone has been a lifesaver for me, and I was even an early adopter with the palm one treo!


OK first of all, I'd be pissed if canceled classes were a redular thing. Secondly, getting an e-mail on the way saying class has been canceled is hardly what I'd call, "life saving". I mean, if it's your first class you've already got out of bed and prepared...and what were you saved...an extra 10 minutes of travel? Not trying to be a jerk here, but let's not get dramatic. People somehow managed to survive the millenia prior to this without smart phones.

I have a smart phone through work; I would never pay for such a thing myself at the current prices, though I do enjoy the convenience of being able to pull up maps, current weather, ReelViews or whatever at my convenience on the road. It's an I-Phone and I have zero music or videos on it. I also have a personal "dumb" cell phone for my personal use that gets unclipped from my person the minute I step in the door at home. That phone's always on silent mode because I don't like disturbing the office. Fairly regularly I'll glance at my "dumb" phone and see I have 2 or 3 messages from hours or maybe days ago from friends or family. Well, gee...have they forgotten my landline number? Whenever I call someone I generally call their cell phone first and if no answer I try their landline. Am I the only one who does this?


I guess I can understand the $$$$ thing...but my brother and I don't pay for our phones or plans. They are covered under my dad's business plan.

But...

What the fuck is wrong with all of you? My brother had an iPhone when he was 14. I'm 25 as well, and over the past 7 years (double major while co-oping), I really couldn't imagine living without my smart phone. Larue, yes, numerous times over the course of 7 years (maybe 1-2 times a semester). I was just giving an example of how getting an email on the fly can be helpful...but here are more examples of smart phone tech. You guys really couldn't use any of this?

I'm driving through a city I've never been before and want a certain something to eat. Low and behold I pull up urban spoon and see whats available near me. Or ask siri (really does work well) to find something for me and give me directions. I'm in my car stuck in traffic and the movie I'm going to might be sold out..what to do. Oh, that's right, I just pull up fandango app, click purchase tickets...presto, I've got a guaranteed ticket waiting on me. Man, I'm away from my office (summer internship) but I really need something on my computer...what to do...oh, that's right, I just vpn to my computer, and get the file I need. I'm driving down the interstate with a car load of people, one who has a laptop. He needs to finish some work and email somebody...what to do? Oh, I just turn my iPhone into a wifi hotspot, and let that person connect...presto...all the while we are streaming music over pandora or spotify (or bluetoohe audio streaming) the songs I have on my phone straight through my car speakers. I might be playing golf on sunday and realized I forgot to set my fantasy lineup...what to do? Oh, I just pull up my ESPN fantasy app and make my line up changes before the games start. What if I want to take a payment from someone's credit card...I just pull up Square app. What if I lose my samsung Tv remote...I just pull up Samsung TV on my phone and everything is jelling.

The most important thing though? What if I get in a heated argument (at a bar or in the car or something) about whether or not so and so starred in The Great Escape? I just pull up IMDB and prove it to them.

None of that appeals to any of you? I have a hard time believing that.

Hi Roasty:

Oh...on a certain level that stuff appeals to me, but the things you state just make life more convenient, they're not really "necessities." If I'm in a city I don't know and I'm hungry, I pull over and find a place with lights on and no chalk outlines on the sidewalk in front. Or heaven forbid, pull into a gas station and ask someone "Where's a good place to get something to eat round here?" (Confession: I have used the "FastFood" and "Yelp" apps before in strange territory, but I am firmly of the belief that I would have done just fine without.) I have XM in my car (lifetime subscription) so I don't worry about being able to find music in most markets. Like Vex, I don't do fantasy sports though I have used my smart phone to set up my DVR once or twice when I had cable. But all of these things are conveniences...I don't want to get to a state where I'm reliant on a 4 oz pile of microchips to get me through life.

I don't begrudge you your embracing of the lifestyle...I'm just at a stage in my life where I'm taking things a bit slower and don't need to be constantly downloading this or uploading that (hitches up pants past navel).


Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
P.S. IMO fantasy sports lineups are one of the stupidest and most pointless things ever, I don't even care about real sports teams.


Ummm...I don't even know what to say. I love sports. Besides following my Auburn Tigers religiously, I watch more than 50% braves games a year, and golf every sunday (until football season obviously, then it's time for F A N T A S Y F O O T B A L L). The NFL is so fun to watch (at least to me), and playing fantasy just adds to it because you have to keep up with your players. Also, you might be singing a different tune to "the most pointless things ever" when you are in a 12 man league, each of which puts up $500. $5500 goes to the winner, and 2nd place gets his money back. Trust me, when that much money is at stake, you have to be able to make lineup changes on the fly at a moments notice. Sometimes the team won't release information about a player starting or not until 5 minutes from kickoff.

Well I personally can't stand most major sports, they just bore me to death(I do enjoy watching some MMA fights though), i'm one of the few people in existence who could not give less of a fuck about the Superbowl, the most overhyped event of the year. Also, gambling dosen't really appeal to me at all, so I'd rather not pointlessly risk money over which team will win or anything like that, I can't even imagine wasting 500 bucks on something like that.


Fri May 11, 2012 8:58 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Quote:
I don't have to worry about those things because I don't have a Facebook page! I subsequently discovered that this sense of electronic freedom is shared by others. Some people can't live without Facebook; I don't think I'd be happy living with it.

Snap! Occasionally it can feel as if I am the only person alive without a fucking FB account, and you read this from James and maybe I'm not as lame as I thought. There is literally no one from a past life I want to catch up with, especially via a computer, so have never felt even remotely inclined to get a FB account.


Fri May 11, 2012 11:34 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Nitrium wrote:
Quote:
I don't have to worry about those things because I don't have a Facebook page! I subsequently discovered that this sense of electronic freedom is shared by others. Some people can't live without Facebook; I don't think I'd be happy living with it.

Snap! Occasionally it can feel as if I am the only person alive without a fucking FB account, and you read this from James and maybe I'm not as lame as I thought. There is literally no one from a past life I want to catch up with, especially via a computer, so have never felt even remotely inclined to get a FB account.


I am mostly a consumer of facebook and not much of a contributor...I could definitely do without, though I have several friends who enable their narcissism by posting the minutia of their lives. Sometimes after reading over FB postings or (especially) comments left on news article, I feel like my soul has been damaged.


Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 am
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
For all western civilization, to read the user comments at the bottom of online news stories is to stare into the heart of darkness.


Sat May 12, 2012 2:24 am
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Ken wrote:
For all western civilization, to read the user comments at the bottom of online news stories is to stare into the heart of darkness.


Most of them are just trolls though. Especially the ones who post comments for Yahoo! news stories. Politics is a messy business though, no matter where it's being discussed. There's just something so...irrational about it.


Sat May 12, 2012 2:26 am
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
And I agree completely, 100% with this Reelthought. I enjoy my privacy. I crave it, really. I never text, and I even hardly talk on the phone except when it comes to essential things. I love being online, but I have two separate "identities"; one for casual stuff, and the other for personal/business. I can probably sympathize with James' POV more than most of the other readers.


Last edited by Will Hatch on Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat May 12, 2012 2:31 am
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I have been walking to class only to get an email saying class was cancelled numerous times. The smart phone has been a lifesaver for me, and I was even an early adopter with the palm one treo!


OK first of all, I'd be pissed if canceled classes were a redular thing. Secondly, getting an e-mail on the way saying class has been canceled is hardly what I'd call, "life saving". I mean, if it's your first class you've already got out of bed and prepared...and what were you saved...an extra 10 minutes of travel? Not trying to be a jerk here, but let's not get dramatic. People somehow managed to survive the millenia prior to this without smart phones.

I have a smart phone through work; I would never pay for such a thing myself at the current prices, though I do enjoy the convenience of being able to pull up maps, current weather, ReelViews or whatever at my convenience on the road. It's an I-Phone and I have zero music or videos on it. I also have a personal "dumb" cell phone for my personal use that gets unclipped from my person the minute I step in the door at home. That phone's always on silent mode because I don't like disturbing the office. Fairly regularly I'll glance at my "dumb" phone and see I have 2 or 3 messages from hours or maybe days ago from friends or family. Well, gee...have they forgotten my landline number? Whenever I call someone I generally call their cell phone first and if no answer I try their landline. Am I the only one who does this?


I guess I can understand the $$$$ thing...but my brother and I don't pay for our phones or plans. They are covered under my dad's business plan.

But...

What the fuck is wrong with all of you? My brother had an iPhone when he was 14. I'm 25 as well, and over the past 7 years (double major while co-oping), I really couldn't imagine living without my smart phone. Larue, yes, numerous times over the course of 7 years (maybe 1-2 times a semester). I was just giving an example of how getting an email on the fly can be helpful...but here are more examples of smart phone tech. You guys really couldn't use any of this?

I'm driving through a city I've never been before and want a certain something to eat. Low and behold I pull up urban spoon and see whats available near me. Or ask siri (really does work well) to find something for me and give me directions. I'm in my car stuck in traffic and the movie I'm going to might be sold out..what to do. Oh, that's right, I just pull up fandango app, click purchase tickets...presto, I've got a guaranteed ticket waiting on me. Man, I'm away from my office (summer internship) but I really need something on my computer...what to do...oh, that's right, I just vpn to my computer, and get the file I need. I'm driving down the interstate with a car load of people, one who has a laptop. He needs to finish some work and email somebody...what to do? Oh, I just turn my iPhone into a wifi hotspot, and let that person connect...presto...all the while we are streaming music over pandora or spotify (or bluetoohe audio streaming) the songs I have on my phone straight through my car speakers. I might be playing golf on sunday and realized I forgot to set my fantasy lineup...what to do? Oh, I just pull up my ESPN fantasy app and make my line up changes before the games start. What if I want to take a payment from someone's credit card...I just pull up Square app. What if I lose my samsung Tv remote...I just pull up Samsung TV on my phone and everything is jelling.

The most important thing though? What if I get in a heated argument (at a bar or in the car or something) about whether or not so and so starred in The Great Escape? I just pull up IMDB and prove it to them.

None of that appeals to any of you? I have a hard time believing that.


Not for $1000/year (ish). If someone gave a smart phone to me, I probably wouldn't turn it down, though.

When I bought a Kindle a few years ago, because I read a ton, I splurged on the 3G. The browser access is glitchy at best, but I can check email from anywhere if I really need to, or Twitter, or Google, or whatnot. It's slow as Moses, but it works in an absolute emergency. I think my dumb phone can check email too, or do anything online for an extra fee to my bill. But I like Kindle's 3G access because they don't charge you anything extra for it ever.

Last week I was checking and writing email in Italy for free. My brother was paying roaming charges for his iPhone, on top of whatever extra he pays.

Oh and how did I get to Italy? By saving $1000/year on that damn smart phone.


Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 29
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
I am 26 and I often get stares of incredulity of when I tell people I don't have a Facebook page. Maybe I am anti-social but knowing every little thing about whatever my friends are doing is not appealing at all and neither is the effort to maintain such a page.

Similarly, I have no desire for a smart phone. Frankly, I find all the people that have their noses buried in them somewhat obnoxious. The tiny screen and keypad make using them a real pain. What situations really require a smart phone that you couldn't avoid with a little preparation before leaving and a cellphone? But mostly I want to avoid the constant connectivity. It's part of the reason I was a late adopter of cellphones. If I am out I am accomplishing some task or enjoying some entertainment then in either case I would prefer to not be interrupted by something that can usually be handled at a more convenient time for me.


Sat May 12, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile
Gaffer

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm
Posts: 20
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Ken wrote:
For all western civilization, to read the user comments at the bottom of online news stories is to stare into the heart of darkness.


Ken, you have the right idea. Trolls or not, those are the people that truly and personally disturb me. Especially on Yahoo, where the majority of the population are either trolls or outright psychotic mindsets. It makes you wonder exactly about the kind of people out there that have so much bile to spew, so much gross and disturbing extremism (political or otherwise, especially political) they're willing to share. No low is too deep enough for someone; there may be a beautiful story of a soldier coming home to his kid for the first time and there are at least a number of people who cant possible go on without making some form of gross, extreme political statement about how "Obama is the devil" or "down with liberals", etc. or some other form of vile, juvenile comment. It makes you stop and think wow, there are actually people out there like this, typing at some computer/labtop screen somewhere in this country. It's widely known and accepted that the Internet gives a voice to anyone on this planet willing to state their opinion, but if people can be this deeply disturbed, then I'm definitely gonna worry about the future just a bit. Heart of darkness, indeed.


Sat May 12, 2012 4:56 pm
Profile
Cinematographer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Posts: 525
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
I made a Facebook when I graduated high school to stay in touch with my friends when I went to college.

I soon realized that the only people who consistently post to Facebook all suck.

I no longer have a Facebook. I don't miss it.


Sun May 13, 2012 1:50 am
Profile
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
botdx wrote:
I am 26 and I often get stares of incredulity of when I tell people I don't have a Facebook page. Maybe I am anti-social but knowing every little thing about whatever my friends are doing is not appealing at all and neither is the effort to maintain such a page.

Similarly, I have no desire for a smart phone. Frankly, I find all the people that have their noses buried in them somewhat obnoxious. The tiny screen and keypad make using them a real pain. What situations really require a smart phone that you couldn't avoid with a little preparation before leaving and a cellphone? But mostly I want to avoid the constant connectivity. It's part of the reason I was a late adopter of cellphones. If I am out I am accomplishing some task or enjoying some entertainment then in either case I would prefer to not be interrupted by something that can usually be handled at a more convenient time for me.


Umm..you can't do anything that I listed, not to mention, a hundred other things, with a regular cell phone.

Here's another just for shits and gigs. Last year my girlfriend at the time spent the semester in Italy. How did we communicate? Over Skype. Whenever she got the chance, she just skyped me, and we video chatted (for free). I know you can Skype over the computer...but I wasn't always around my computer, and found it most convenient to see her wherever I was.


Sun May 13, 2012 9:38 am
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
darthyoshi wrote:
I made a Facebook when I graduated high school to stay in touch with my friends when I went to college.

I soon realized that the only people who consistently post to Facebook all suck.

I no longer have a Facebook. I don't miss it.


I have a Facebook page but I'm not that active. I mainly use it for when I meet new babes. You have to check out her pics and pics of her friends. Enough pictures will tell a story about someone.


Sun May 13, 2012 9:44 am
Second Unit Director

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 pm
Posts: 482
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
I think that this article could be retitled "High Tech Midnight in Paris".There does seem to be a nostalgia for the better quieter simpler past that did not exist but everyone still believes it is there.Just as my father thinks going back to the horse and buggy and getting of those darn infernal combustion engines or bringing back big band music and erasing rock and roll would make the world more liveable. I would not want to go back to the early 80's without the internet where your access to information and knowledge is slow and difficult.I can't think of how much more do it yourself things I have accomplished or better purchasing decisions I have made using the internet database.Let alone having no access to the library of movies because the only way to see them was in the theatre or on tv when they got around to programming them if ever.

Now I have to admit that I don't own a cell phone,smart phone or a facebook page and I seem to manage to get through a day.There are funny reactions when people at work want to text you a message about something and you say you don't have a cell phone or know how to text.They start talking amongst themselves whispering "He doesn't know how to text!"Sort of in the same tone like he doesn't shower or he doesn't know how to read.

I have read an article where someone makes the argument that all you really need is a dumb phone with call and text and most of the time people use their smartphone with time wasting activities that could be done cheaper on another platform.Though I will say it scares the pants off me when I see someone driving and looking down trying to use their smartphone at the same time.As far as Facebook is concerned there has been a case in Canada where Manulife Insurance somehow hacked into someone's account to gather information to deny them benefits so not sure how private those setting really are.Story is below

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2009/11/19/quebec-facebook-sick-leave-benefits.html


Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 pm
Profile
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Will Hatch wrote:
And I agree completely, 100% with this Reelthought. I enjoy my privacy. I crave it, really. I never text, and I even hardly talk on the phone except when it comes to non essential things. I love being online, but I have two separate "identities"; one for casual stuff, and the other for personal/business. I can probably sympathize with Jame's POV more than most of the other readers.


Damn right here, I spent the latter few years of my last full time job virtually fearing my cell phone and land line (not facbook, it still hadn't quite become the corporate tool it is today). My employers were skilled at demeaning employee rights using said methods of communication, not to mention I was on the verge of literally being harassed by a bank over £100. That's right, £100 made them think they could hound me by phone regardless of the unsociable hour or the frequency of calls.

It's not a human right (we actually have fewer rights than we realise, but it's the polarity of said rights that matters!) for us to not be badgered day and night (it's actually the case that noone has the right TO badger you... maybe?) but I like to think that even as the internet actually becomes the matrix, there is still a place you can go to not be disturbed. Right now, to be totally unreachable is to be temporarily happy.


Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
Dragonbeard wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
And I agree completely, 100% with this Reelthought. I enjoy my privacy. I crave it, really. I never text, and I even hardly talk on the phone except when it comes to non essential things. I love being online, but I have two separate "identities"; one for casual stuff, and the other for personal/business. I can probably sympathize with Jame's POV more than most of the other readers.


Damn right here, I spent the latter few years of my last full time job virtually fearing my cell phone and land line (not facbook, it still hadn't quite become the corporate tool it is today). My employers were skilled at demeaning employee rights using said methods of communication, not to mention I was on the verge of literally being harassed by a bank over £100. That's right, £100 made them think they could hound me by phone regardless of the unsociable hour or the frequency of calls.

It's not a human right (we actually have fewer rights than we realise, but it's the polarity of said rights that matters!) for us to not be badgered day and night (it's actually the case that noone has the right TO badger you... maybe?) but I like to think that even as the internet actually becomes the matrix, there is still a place you can go to not be disturbed. Right now, to be totally unreachable is to be temporarily happy.


It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?


Sun May 13, 2012 2:34 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
And I agree completely, 100% with this Reelthought. I enjoy my privacy. I crave it, really. I never text, and I even hardly talk on the phone except when it comes to non essential things. I love being online, but I have two separate "identities"; one for casual stuff, and the other for personal/business. I can probably sympathize with Jame's POV more than most of the other readers.


Damn right here, I spent the latter few years of my last full time job virtually fearing my cell phone and land line (not facbook, it still hadn't quite become the corporate tool it is today). My employers were skilled at demeaning employee rights using said methods of communication, not to mention I was on the verge of literally being harassed by a bank over £100. That's right, £100 made them think they could hound me by phone regardless of the unsociable hour or the frequency of calls.

It's not a human right (we actually have fewer rights than we realise, but it's the polarity of said rights that matters!) for us to not be badgered day and night (it's actually the case that noone has the right TO badger you... maybe?) but I like to think that even as the internet actually becomes the matrix, there is still a place you can go to not be disturbed. Right now, to be totally unreachable is to be temporarily happy.


It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?



Well it could be being fired at work for not answering your boss's call....duh.

Now, being unpopular like me is how you avoid people badgering you.


Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?

Turn off... phone?

What means this, paleface?


Sun May 13, 2012 3:23 pm
Post Re: May 10, 2012: "Unplugged"
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:
Will Hatch wrote:
And I agree completely, 100% with this Reelthought. I enjoy my privacy. I crave it, really. I never text, and I even hardly talk on the phone except when it comes to non essential things. I love being online, but I have two separate "identities"; one for casual stuff, and the other for personal/business. I can probably sympathize with Jame's POV more than most of the other readers.


Damn right here, I spent the latter few years of my last full time job virtually fearing my cell phone and land line (not facbook, it still hadn't quite become the corporate tool it is today). My employers were skilled at demeaning employee rights using said methods of communication, not to mention I was on the verge of literally being harassed by a bank over £100. That's right, £100 made them think they could hound me by phone regardless of the unsociable hour or the frequency of calls.

It's not a human right (we actually have fewer rights than we realise, but it's the polarity of said rights that matters!) for us to not be badgered day and night (it's actually the case that noone has the right TO badger you... maybe?) but I like to think that even as the internet actually becomes the matrix, there is still a place you can go to not be disturbed. Right now, to be totally unreachable is to be temporarily happy.


It's called turning your phone off if you don't want to be disturbed. What is so hard about that?


You don't think that if that was enough, I'd have tried it and stopped worrying?


Sun May 13, 2012 6:26 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr