Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post What are you reading?
I'm currently reading Dune by Frank Herbert. This book has been praised by many including trusted friends and my old man. I've finished half of the book and I may not finish. It's not bad but nothing is compelling me to keep reading. When I take a look at my unread pile of books I think about casting Dune aside and moving on. Yet I also want to finish since I started. But it's starting to become a chore. Oh well.

The new James Ellroy novel is suppoed to be released this fall. I can't wait!

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 pm
Post Re: What are you reading?
"The Art Of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler.

Not recommended. Quite a disappointment.

Rob

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 pm
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman... I finished 2 chapters and so far so good.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 pm
Jpod by Douglas Coupland. 10% of the book thus far has been the number pi spread over 40 pages. That about sums it up. It's a little irritating but works well enough within the "office life is hell" genre that Coupland has built a career on.

Check out Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris for something hilarious, perceptive, and biting on office politics.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 pm
the dark knight returns. just started it, again that is. first 5 pages done. :D

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 pm
Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. Tale of hitman turned doctor. Better than that sounds and often funny.

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 pm
Isn't here another reading thread around here?

As for reading and me, well, I think this quote from Rob (completely and irresponsibly taken out of context :) ) does the job for me:

Robert Holloway wrote:
We're in 2009, not 1709

My schedule: Watch a movie. Go out on a date. Watch recorded TV programs. Play a few video games. Exercise.

Books? Nah, that's ok, I've been abstinent from that since 1997, I've survived. I do not hate on those who read, but if anyone ever offered me a book I would ask them where the furnace was and what was the hurry.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:55 am
Cinematographer

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Books? Nah, that's ok, I've been abstinent from that since 1997, I've survived. I do not hate on those who read, but if anyone ever offered me a book I would ask them where the furnace was and what was the hurry.

Wow... harsh... don't be so closed minded. Sometimes there is art that the screen can't capture. If you don't like to read, that's fine, but don't come to the "What Are Your Reading?" thread and tell us about how you would rather burn a book than read it.

Anyways, in my AP Literature class, we just finished reading James Joyce's Dubliners and now we are reading Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man Is Hard To Find. I really did not like Joyce's style of writing, and his theme of paralysis just made the collection boring for me. I really like O'Connor's works though. She tries to depict Christian themes through violence and the grotesque. My teacher thinks that I have problems though because I thought that the short story "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" was hilarious. If you've read this, you will know what he means. Oh well... I'm a sucker for irony.

Outside of school, I just started Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. It is quite an undertaking. I am steadfast in my goal though. 800 pages of text translated from Russian; its easier to read than you would think. We'll see where that goes.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:36 am
darthyoshi wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Wow... harsh... don't be so closed minded. Sometimes there is art that the screen can't capture. If you don't like to read, that's fine, but don't come to the "What Are Your Reading?" thread and tell us about how you would rather burn a book than read it.

Well, actually, I didn't insult any of you for reading, Darthyoshi. I'm not 'close-minded', but I do have a right to share my opinion on something, whether or not it offends your delicate sensibilities.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:32 am
I've just started reading HP Lovecraft for the first time. I bought a really nice compilation of his works by the Library of America. He's very sepulchral...I'm liking it.

Bondurant wrote:
I'm currently reading Dune by Frank Herbert. This book has been praised by many including trusted friends and my old man. I've finished half of the book and I may not finish. It's not bad but nothing is compelling me to keep reading. When I take a look at my unread pile of books I think about casting Dune aside and moving on. Yet I also want to finish since I started. But it's starting to become a chore. Oh well.

The new James Ellroy novel is suppoed to be released this fall. I can't wait!

It is quite verbose, however, I also find it extremely quotable. You can count me as one of the many that love it. The word epic is thrown around a lot these days without merit, but I see Dune as a true epic.

Evenflow8112 wrote:

Movies are fantastic, but what you see is usually the vision of one person. With books you have to use your imagination to hear voices and see places. I also don't feel comfortable splitting a movie over several viewings, whereas I can read a few pages whenever I have a couple minutes time.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:13 pm
The Fist of the North Star manga. Manly tears everyone!

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:40 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Well, actually, I didn't insult any of you for reading, Darthyoshi. I'm not 'close-minded', but I do have a right to share my opinion on something, whether or not it offends your delicate sensibilities.

I'm glad you're not afraid to admit it, but yikes man -- not a single book in over a decade? I certainly don't think you need to be wasting your time on shit like Da Vinci Code or John Grisham, but a lot of books, even those being written now, are certainly worthwhile. I'm not trying to be cantankerous, but do you know of any artists, filmmakers, etc, who don't read books? Who don't rave about the necessity of them? I don't know of any, and you do seem like an intelligent guy. I don't think that you are living your life to please or impress anyone, and that's good, but on the "make time for books" side we have nearly every great artist who has ever lived, and on the "I have no use for books" side, we have Steve-O and Fred Durst.

As for me, I'm currently reading through a Bukowski collection I got for my birthday.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 pm
Shade wrote:
I'm not trying to be cantankerous, but do you know of any artists, filmmakers, etc, who don't read books? Who don't rave about the necessity of them? I don't know of any, and you do seem like an intelligent guy. I don't think that you are living your life to please or impress anyone, and that's good, but on the "make time for books" side we have nearly every great artist who has ever lived, and on the "I have no use for books" side, we have Steve-O and Fred Durst.

As for me, I'm currently reading through a Bukowski collection I got for my birthday.

Perhaps he's just too busy? There are reasons out there.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 pm
Maybe (that's all you get :) ) I overstated my stance with books, I was at least partially exaggerating (which, being relayed in text, can be misinterpreted). I read on occasion, but I've never been able to sit down and enjoy a book more then once or twice in a long while. My attention span with things like massively expansive RPGs (which can draw me in for hours at atime), long films, and statistical records (sports, academy awards, etc.) is high, so I'm not sure how this all came to be. Fear of papercuts?

Just to cap my comments with a large, concentrated dose of irony, there is another Phil Spires in the world - a successful British author!

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:04 pm
Cinematographer

Evenflow8112 wrote:

Delicate sensibilities? You're talking about burning books... kind of... yeah... let's move on...

Anyways, I think my favorite literature comes from Victorian England. I just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Grey and I loved it. Oscar Wilde is just so fantastic when it comes to dialogue. I have a man crush.

If you can't think of any authors from our day and age that contribute to literature as a whole, I would check out Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club along with several other great books. Sort of a modern-day Vonnegut.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:15 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Delicate sensibilities? You're talking about burning books... kind of... yeah... let's move on...

Anyways, I think my favorite literature comes from Victorian England. I just finished reading The Picture of Dorian Grey and I loved it. Oscar Wilde is just so fantastic when it comes to dialogue. I have a man crush.

If you can't think of any authors from our day and age that contribute to literature as a whole, I would check out Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club along with several other great books. Sort of a modern-day Vonnegut.

Careful there, Oscar Wilde may have a crush-crush on you back...if he was still alive.

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:21 pm
Cinematographer

Patrick wrote:
Careful there, Oscar Wilde may have a crush-crush on you back...if he was still alive.

Rotfl, I know... that's so bad...

Ever seen a picture of Oscar Wilde? I must say, he was pretty hot for the 1880s.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 am
Finished Art of happiness - don't go there

Now starting for the third time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Rob

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Just to cap my comments with a large, concentrated dose of irony, there is another Phil Spires in the world - a successful British author!

So there is. But his myspace page doesn't have any songs about cannibalism so, really, what's the f*cking point? He's all like "Kenya this," and "Kenya that,"... man, parallel universe Philip Spires who writes from the Narnia-like fictional landscape of "Britain", stop telling your little stories about this fantasy woman "Kenya". Christ.

Fun fact: he isn't that successful an author.

Fun fact II: this post brought to you by two hours of sleep and a screaming baby.

Finished that Coupland book and recommend it to anyone with lots of patience and a handy supply of Xanax to hold back the urge to tear the novel in half.

Some Gaiman in the future, I think.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

So there is. But his myspace page doesn't have any songs about cannibalism so, really, what's the f*cking point?

Only real men write songs about cannibalism. The rest just think about it and make love songs instead.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next