Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Rush (the band) 
Post Re: Rush (the band)
A few things.

By which standards are Rush not progressive? I admit that, stylistically, they've been ever the evolving band (in that way, similar to the Beatles) but the elements of progressive rock (especially beginning with 2112) are all there. Odd time signatures, song structures similar to those of classical, jazz or world music pieces, use of a vast variety of instruments, lots of sci-fi and fantasy based lyrics, and a few concept albums along the way for good measure. Not to mention the proficiency that is required for the respective instruments to be able to play their music.

I noticed, Threep, that you mentioned specific things about Rush that doesn't really paint a complete picture.

You brought up the transition from 70's progressive to 80's neo punk/reggae, but Rush has been putting out music since their inception. After the 80's, into the 90's, their sound went back to being guitar-centric, and once again they demonstrated their versatility, exhibiting influences of hip-hop, funk, and jazz (having much to do with a change in technique and style from Peart) that was in tandem with the alternative rock movement of the era. Then, after the hiatus, a return to a more rock-n-roll oriented sound for the oughts.

How could a band with that much musical diversity not be considered progressive? Yes, the styles were ever evolving, but (especially after 2112, as mentioned before) the elements of progressive rock remained.

Anyways, I also noticed you mentioned a lack in richness from Alex Lifeson's chord progressions and that Neil Peart is overpraised, but you said nothing of Geddy Lee, who I would argue is the best musician in the band. Not to say he outshines or overpowers anyone in the band, but man, can this guy shred. His bass lines are always on point, and seemingly (correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone will) always independent, self-sustaining, but perfectly interlocking.

Also, Peart was self-taught for most of his career, and didn't receive coaching until later.

I don't really see the point in arguing who the better drummer is between Collins and Peart, seeing as they're both incredible. But I've always thought Collins to be more of a feel guy, not being as technical as Peart. I highly doubt there's anything Collins can play that Peart couldn't.

As for Vinnie Colauita, that guy isn't even human. I'm convinced he's an alien. Either that or he sold his soul to the devil.

But, alas, I guess in the purest sense of the genre, I can understand the argument for Genesis being the quintessential prog rock band.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:53 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
For me (sue me!) the quintessential band of prog rock is Genesis. They might be uncool, and a little bit too "pretty" in places - but boy what level of musicianship and compositional skills. Their problem was that they didn't master the transition from the 70s to the 80s. But there are other bands who failed: Queen, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Yes.

Don't get me wrong: I love Rush - BUT they are not the quintessencial prog rock band. They are groove, riff and unison- playing based. Their chord progressions lack the richness of (here I go again) Genesis. Tony Banks (he is the opposite of badass) can play circles around most prog rock keyboarders (Rush doesn't even have one). Did you guys really ever listened to early Phil Collins with Genesis - Nursery Cryme, Foxtrott, Selling England by the Pound, The lamb Lies Doen on Broadway (especially the 1998 live edition from the 1975 L.A.gig), A Trick of the Tail - sorry folks, in terms of power, wackiness, innovation and complexity he played circles around Neil Peart in his sleep. Phil could have played any Rush gig in the 80s - not so vice versa. (same with live genesis drummer Chester Thompson) If you don't believe me, do your research.

Hey Theeperf...have you ever seen the tribute band The Musical Box. I've taken in a few of their shows and they have been pretty good. Since a lot of the earliest stuff from Peter Gabriel era Genesis was never committed to video or film, these guys are the next best thing.

http://themusicalbox.net/

The musicians may not be as accomplished, but they give it their all.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 am
johnny larue wrote:
Hey Theeperf...have you ever seen the tribute band The Musical Box. I've taken in a few of their shows and they have been pretty good. Since a lot of the earliest stuff from Peter Gabriel era Genesis was never committed to video or film, these guys are the next best thing.

http://themusicalbox.net/

The musicians may not be as accomplished, but they give it their all.

Yep, have seen them about 6 years ago in a University Auditorium with Martin Levac as Phil. It was the complete Lamb show plus encore. A well balanced mix between the album versions and the live versions (they obviously did their homework and listened to all quality bootlegs) Excellent! Of course a lot of air drumming going on in the audience. One of the pitfalls of many a Genesis tribute bands (must be hundreds out there) is that they don't get the chords and certain guitar riffs right - and the keyboard sounds usually suck. The sweet tone of a real Arp ProSoloist (The "Musical Box" keyboarder had the real thing and he got all sounds dead-on!) just can't be replaced with the usual digital synth wannabe. ooops, I'm getting carried away here - off topic, sooorry!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:08 pm