Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
3D 
Post Re: 3D
Just an issue of cultural priorities, I think. It's not enough to force-feed it to people. I fear that we have a low tolerance for intellectualism and the arts in general.

Mon May 30, 2011 4:08 pm
Ken wrote:
Just an issue of cultural priorities, I think. It's not enough to force-feed it to people. I fear that we have a low tolerance for intellectualism and the arts in general.

I was just trying to put it in words: we are living in a culture that embraces mediocrity (I read that sentence in many an article, so I have strong backup), and outlaws most people with real intelligent things to say, and radical ideas which might very well work with just a little more R and D. Before I continue my ramblings: you just summed it up 100%. I rest my case.

Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 pm
Ken wrote:
Not sure how good the numbers are, but according to Ebert, audience admissions for PotC4 are 70% in favor of 2D.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it would have had a bigger Domestic opening had it been all in 2D. So, yes, the studio lost money domestically by going 3D. That's just one movie though. What happens a week later with Kung Fu Panda? The same!

Here's the thing though: Pirates lost money domestically by going 3D. Outside the US, 3D is the shizzle (I'm so sorry for using that). How big? Disney claims that Pirates had the biggest International opening ever. Ever!

So don't look at declining 3D revenue as a positive sign about 3D's death. 3D is, unfortunately, alive and thriving. Time will tell if this changes.

The New York Times has a great little story about the 3D numbers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/30/business/media/30panda.html

Mon May 30, 2011 6:07 pm
I wouldn't mind 3-D so much if it was restricted solely to animated films and to directors who were willing to shoot live-action in 3-D, but this post-conversion crap has to end sometime.

Mon May 30, 2011 6:41 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I wouldn't mind 3-D so much if it was restricted solely to animated films and to directors who were willing to shoot live-action in 3-D, but this post-conversion crap has to end sometime.

Hear Hear!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon May 30, 2011 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
The overseas admissions might have to do with an all-or-nothing scenario, rather than actual choice. The US has thousands of locations and screens, while in Europe you only have several hundred, and it's the same pretty much everywhere (with a few exceptions, e.g. Russia).
I have no idea how things are in other countries, but in Iceland the biggest movies will play at most on 12 screens total, and they're almost all 3-d enabled, so you don't have even a remote possibility, as per the US, to catch a 2-d screening.
There are some exceptions: Children's matinées (dubbed in Icelandic) for animated films will probably have one screen playing the 2-d version, and likewise when a movie is moved to the smallest screen it might play in 2-d, but for movies such as Drive Angry which don't play well enough through the week will be pulled altogether after 7-14 days so waiting for 2-d might not happen at all.

Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 am
Director

Ken wrote:
It's not an issue of being smart, so much as being informed. Put simply, you cannot develop your tastes unless you widen your reference pool. If you've walked two moons in the moccasins of great cinema and still believe that Avatar and The Dark Knight are masterpieces, then your opinion has at least gained some validity, even if it is baffling.

That's it right there.

When you have a huge movie audience and a significant portion of it have reference points that begin at Top Gun and end at Pirates Of The Carribbean then you have a problem there. Not to say that there's anything wrong with going to a movie for entertainment. But when you develop your tatste in a vacum then it's obvious that one's sense of film history and film culture is going to be rather parochial.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Ken wrote:
It's not an issue of being smart, so much as being informed. Put simply, you cannot develop your tastes unless you widen your reference pool. If you've walked two moons in the moccasins of great cinema and still believe that Avatar and The Dark Knight are masterpieces, then your opinion has at least gained some validity, even if it is baffling.

That's it right there.

When you have a huge movie audience and a significant portion of it have reference points that begin at Top Gun and end at Pirates Of The Carribbean then you have a problem there. Not to say that there's anything wrong with going to a movie for entertainment. But when you develop your tatste in a vacum then it's obvious that one's sense of film history and film culture is going to be rather parochial.

Agreed. I love mainstream popcorn as much as anyone, but having sampled virtually every kind of "art film" there ever was, I feel I can better appreciate why a film like Thor is so good.

Tue May 31, 2011 4:23 pm
http://www.2d-glasses.com/

SCORE!!!!

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm
Director

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/21/box-office-report-the-help-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-conan-barbarian-spy-kids-4d-fright-night-one-day-3d/

They think 3D may have run its course. While Conan and Ftight Night may have been somewhat undone at the box office by the 3d, I think most people chose not to see them because their view was: More unnecessary remakes.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 pm
It is VERY SIMPLE.

3D (in theaters and 3D televisions) will not be accepted by mainstream audiences until one is NOT REQUIRED to wear glasses. Why aren't companies hard at work on this...(maybe they are but talk has been very small)? It is the dumbest thing in the world to have to wear some cheap uncomfortable glasses to watch a movie.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:13 pm
Director

Quote:
They think 3D may have run its course

I doubt it, three 3D summer flicks just passed a billion!
Pre Avatar only 4 films passed the one billion mark.
Now there are 10 in that club, the last six all 3D.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:08 pm
Director

http://www.slate.com/id/2303814/

In response to the obvious reasons listed here I find myself saying: No shit sherlock.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 am
Director

Quote:
Last weekend's surprising box-office success of Disney's "The Lion King 3-D" has re-awakened studios to the power of 3-D, James Cameron said Wednesday.

In an interview with TheWrap, Cameron said that whatever doubts there were amongst the two studios re-releasing "Titanic" in 3-D have "pretty much evaporated." Paramount and Fox are planning to release Cameron's 3-D-converted "Titantic" next April. "Lion King 3-D" took in $30.2 million this past weekend.

They see this potential," the filmmaker said. "All it takes is a little healthy greed. And doubts tend to go away."

"The further apart they move, the more information is missing in the background behind them that has to be painted in," he said.

He said that the "Titanic" conversion is taking a year because it needs to take that long.

"I said I'm not doing it in less than a year," he said, explaining that he worries about ensuring Leonardo DiCaprio's face isn't flat in any particular shot.

Quickie conversions handle that poorly.

But when it's done right, he said, "it's gorgeous."

Doing it right, he said, could make "those legacy library titles that we love, whether they are 'Jaws,' 'Star Wars,' name your favorite film, can and should be done -- but they have to be done right and the filmmakers have to be involved."

Cameron said converting movies from 2-D to 3-D -- the way he's converting his blockbuster "Titanic" -- is time-consuming when done right. But otherwise, he said, it's not really 3-D.

"Two-and-a-half D is not worth the premium ticket price," he said.

Then Cameron, at heart a techie, got technical.

In a conversion, he said, objects in the background move farther and farther apart.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... &gt1=28101

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:14 pm
Quote:
"All it takes is a little healthy greed. And doubts tend to go away."

:lol: That article is not too far off from something that would appear in The Onion.

As for The Lion King, I'd like to think that its box-office success has more to do with it being a great film that still holds up well today, and less to do with anything related to its 3D conversion.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:30 pm
Director

Quote:
As expected, Disney is further raiding its vault for more 3D releases.

On Tuesday, the studio announced that it's theatrically re-releasing "Beauty and the Beast," "Finding Nemo," "Monsters, Inc." and "The Little Mermaid" in the format over the next two years.

"Beauty and the Beast" will go first, going wide Jan. 13; it will be followed by "Nemo" (Sept. 14), "Monsters, Inc." (Jan. 18, 2013) and "Little Mermaid" (Sept. 13, 2013).

In three weekend's of release, Disney's 3D re-release of "The Lion King" has grossed nearly $80 million domestically -- and more than $100 million globally. All of this revenue comes at low, low overhead for the studio, which had already converted the original "Lion King" print to 3D for the home video market (cost: under $10 million).

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.as ... &gt1=28130

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 pm
Director

Quote:
As for The Lion King, I'd like to think that its box-office success has more to do with it being a great film that still holds up well today, and less to do with anything related to its 3D conversion.

Phantom Menace made 23 mill over the weekend.

Very interested to see how Titanic does.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:08 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:

I hope Titanic flops big time, i'm getting sick of older films being converted to 3-D.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:

I hope Titanic flops big time, i'm getting sick of older films being converted to 3-D.

Agree with your reasoning, but I'm going to see it anyway because I love the movie (which needs to be seen on as big of a screen as possible) and Cameron is OCD about technology and you can bet your ass that it's going to be great.

It's so easy why they're letting Cameron have his way. Apart from making two of the highest selling movies of all time, he is a technical master. It's a way of trying to prove to the public that they're willing to take the time to do it right so people will change their minds and see other movies converted into 3D. Then once they have wowed the public, they can sucker them into going to more crappy 3D conversions to fill their pockets.

Remember, it doesn't matter to Hollywood whether people like the movie. It only matters that they pay for a ticket.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
The rerelease may have been a slow starter last weekend, but it has since taken off, with a 12-day worldwide cume of nearly $191 million through Sunday and pushing the movie's lifetime gross past the $2 billion mark.

Titanic 3D's global cume of $190.9 million eclipses the $178.2 milllion earned worldwide by Disney's 3D release of The Lion King last year. Lion King 3D was a box office hit, grossing $94.2 million domestically and $84 million worldwide for a total $178.2 million.

The 3D conversion of Titanic cost $18 million, and was personally supervised by Cameron.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... let-312267

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next