Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 pm

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS 
Site Admin

Post THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
Click here for the review of The Cabin in the Woods

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag! Posts not adhering to this will be subject to deletion.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
Awesome. All I saw was the 3 stars and the opening "note." The little that I've read about the film at another site says the same thing. Just go in blind. All I know for certain is that there is a cabin in the woods. I'm really hoping to be able to see this one soon.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 pm
Your spoiler warning was appreciated but not really necessary. IMO, the TV commercial trailer showed far more spoilers than your review. Anyone who watches that commercial will know there is far more going on here than just kids in a cabin being attacked by zombies.

I suppose it's OK to refer directly to it, since it's in the commercial for all to see. But for those desperately avoiding any sort of film publicity at all, stop reading. But those people, I presume, would not be reading a forum thread about the movie.

SPOILER (maybe?): I'm referring to in the commercial when they show the kids clearly approaching some sort of energy field presumably surrounding the area in which they are trapped, suggesting some sort of experiment or bigger picture than just a cabin in the woods movie (all that is pure speculation -- the only thing I know I saw and that spoiled a big development was the energy field). I saw that in the commercial, and immediately thought they had given away a huge part of an eventual development in the film. I was reminded somewhat of how the voiceover in some versions of the opening scenes of Dark City basically give away the big surprise that is supposed to come at the end.

I haven't seen it so maybe I'm off and that is revealed early in the film. But on the topic of James' review, it seems he was concerned about revealing there was more to this that meets the eye, but the commercials already make that abundantly clear.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 am
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
I haven't seen it so maybe I'm off and that is revealed early in the film. But on the topic of James' review, it seems he was concerned about revealing there was more to this that meets the eye, but the commercials already make that abundantly clear.

The scene in question occurs within the first 15-20 minutes.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Let's use the 'Preview' function just to make sure the spoiler tags are doing their job, eh? ;)

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:33 pm
I don't think Brick was attempting to do a spoiler tag though; he just wanted to discuss what he saw in the trailer, and wanted announce the slim possibility of spoilers.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm
Just got back from seeing this, and it's absolutely brilliant. Fans of the horror genre will love it.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Just got back from seeing this, and it's absolutely brilliant. Fans of the horror genre will love it.

Thanks for the input, Blonde. I was going to see this or The Hunger Games this weekend and your input may have convinced me to temporarily hold off on Games of the Hunger Variety.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm
I have to say I am quite impressed as well. You don't have to be a horror fan to love it (though it probably helps), this is a thoroughly entertaining movie in all regards. Not only is it horrifying, but it's hilarious, creative and well made. My parents who hate horror watched this, and they were quite entertained.

There is a very good movie it brings to mind however with the same idea but a slightly different approach, and if you enjoyed Cabin in the Woods 90% you'll enjoy this lesser known one as well.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
I think James has a review for it on the site.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 am
Just came back from seeing this....and I really liked the concept. Seeing the plot just builds and build like uh building blocks was really fascinating. Granted the first 20 or so minutes were kinda weak and made me sceptical but it is highly rewarding. Also, not only do I expect to see crappy fanfics about this concept applied to other horror movies, I DEMAND THEM!

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Frogster wrote:
There is a very good movie it brings to mind however with the same idea but a slightly different approach, and if you enjoyed Cabin in the Woods 90% you'll enjoy this lesser known one as well.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
I think James has a review for it on the site.

I totally agree. That movie's on Netflix Instant too.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:56 pm
Just got back from the theater. Pretty good movie, and not at all as gimmicky as the buzz would make it seem. As the movie progresses and more of the premise is revealed, however, the cabin itself becomes less interesting and the internal logic of the movie contradicts itself and falls apart a bit. But still, fun enough time.

First, I think the "go in knowing nothing!" talk is overblown. The part of the movie you would have "spoiled" for you by a review such as James' is revealed pretty early. Reviews for the vast majority of movies give away an important plot element that happens in the first 15 minutes. Think Kirk's dad dying in Star Trek. To me, revealing in broad terms what
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Bradley Whitfield and Richard Jenkins
are doing in the movie would be no different. It was fun not knowing that they were even in the movie, but their reveal (in the opening shot!) was a simple little "whoa cool!" moment, without which my enjoyment of the movie wouldn't have been lessened. Let's just say that when the premise is strongly hinted at in the very first scene, it's hard to think of it as something that can be "spoiled." To be specific,
[Reveal] Spoiler:
if all you know is that Cabin in the Woods is in some way meta (or even just that it's co-written by Joss Whedon), it's not particularly difficult to guess what's up about 5 lines into the movie, when Bradley Whitfield references Japan.

In fact, it's a disservice to the movie to act like revealing the premise would ruin the movie. The real fun of the movie comes in the relatively slow reveal of the details of the premise (at least for the first two acts) along with how they interact with the kids in the cabin. On the other hand, some of the details of the premise don't quite work
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(I really wish Richard Jenkins had to do something more clever than release some gas to trick the kids into making stupid decisions)
, and once the characters realize the true nature of the cabin, the rest of the movie is pretty predictable and yet makes no real sense. But it's still fun watching all Hell break loose at the climax. Overall, I had a big smile on my face for the first hour, and the last act was still decent dumb entertainment.

I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods in the exact same way I expected to enjoy Drag Me to Hell based on that movie's reviews. I only wish that movie (which I hated) had one-tenth the wit and verve of this one. Overall, Cabin in the Woods is of those that is really fun to watch while you're watching but probably won't hold up too well to any sort of analysis.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:18 pm
Second Unit Director

Cabin in the Woods is one those three quarters full/one quarter empty experiences.The first 2/3 of the film works amazingly well and then you get to Act III which spins out of control and is a big mess.It is kind of boring and doesn't feel like it is connected to the earlier tone or themes of the movie.I had to stifle a yawn when the reveal comes because I had lost all interest. Though 75% of Cabin in the Woods was entertaining and made me laugh more than a few times and is way better than 100% of The Raid or Wrath of the Titans.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm
Spoiler-free review:

What a lifeless, self-satisfied turd. Are people so desperate for real cleverness in this pre-summer slump that they'll praise anything atypical that comes down the pike?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 am
Dang Ken. That’s the first really negative comment I’ve seen for this movie. It’s not due for a release down here for months, so I’d be genuinely interested in what you didn’t like about it. I didn’t care much for the trailer, but the seemingly constant stream of praise it’s getting is making me reconsider watching it.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

You know, I'll put another vote in the "meh" category. The beginning and middle were fun, clever, and cool but the ending really spoiled it for me. It was almost like a completely different movie. And here, in this post, my first ever use of spoiler tags:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Almost everything stops making sense once Marty and Dana go down the elevator. To wit,

Why would there be any controls at all for the elevator in the cabin area? Anyone who stopped to think about that for even a second would immediately see the huge risk that entails.

Why was there only ONE security officer meeting Marty and the Virgin when they arrived at the command center area?

I have trouble believing that there would be a huge red "system purge" button that is designed to let all the monsters out INTO THE SECRET COMMAND CENTER, rather than out into the cabin area where they could be contained and eliminated or recaptured at the government's leisure.

If there was such a button, it would have security like a submarine nuclear launch command (i.e., two people with keys and/or codes required), and it would be FAR away from the elevators that would release those creatures, not in (essentially) the SAME ROOM with those elevators.

Again, if there was such a button, there would have to be NUMEROUS failsafes/containment strategies in which the command center's security contingent would be extensively trained. And one of those strategies would NOT be "walk right into the nightmarish creatures' kill zone, TWICE."

All I could think about when Marty and Dana where huddled in the elevator control room with as the monsters annihilated the security contingent was "how does Dana feel knowing all these people are dying because of her?"

I liked Marty's character, but the choice he made at the end of the movie is simply unbelievable. I realize he has issues with authority, is a conspiracy theorist, etc., but when your choice is between "sacrifice myself right now and humanity lives" or "survive for another 10 or so minutes and realize that every single human being will die in torment because of your choice" how many people would really choose the second option? Surely Marty has parents, or siblings, or other friends he cares about?

It would have made more sense if Marty and Dana had some hope of surviving the release of the Elder Ones, instead of just lying there injured at Ground Zero, most likely the first to be consumed.

It just seemed like a selfish, spiteful, small, and pointless decision on Marty's part. And the fact that Dana somehow bought that idea just boggles my mind. It would have been a better movie if Marty HAD sacrificed himself, in my opinion.

The tone at the end was just very different from the tone of the movie up until that point. Before that it had been effectively using our relationship with the characters to build tension and move the story along, and then suddenly there were all sorts of monsters everywhere killing people we didn't know with zero tension and even less personal investment in what was going on. It wasn't even funny. It was just kind of sad.

I think one of the problems was that a lot of the characters (even those in the command center) WERE very well developed in the first two-thirds of the movie. You weren't (or at least I wasn't) cheering for the death of the people in the command center because you knew they were doing what they were doing to save humanity, etc. And you knew that Marty surviving meant that humanity to die. I was actually rooting for Marty to die in that final third of the movie, which I don't think is what the filmmakers intended. Or maybe they did, who knows? But it took a lot of the fun out of the movie for me.

Anyway, I thought the movie was okay. I really liked the first two-thirds, as I said. But I have problems getting past that horrible ending.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 am
How to make a clever horror movie in six easy steps:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1. Recycle the worn-out plot structure of popular horror movies. It doesn't matter if they're bad. In fact, the worse, the better. Knowingly choosing bad material makes you smarter, hipper, and more ironic than the dumb bastards who sincerely pour their blood and sweat into crap like this.

2. Is your story rife with cliches? No problem! Simply nest it within another story about an organization that manipulates the circumstances of the story. Now that your movie is a conspiracy thriller, the same unappealing characters and unlikely coincidences that would normally disengage the viewer from the material have become signposts for how clever your movie is.

3. Is your conspiracy poorly explored and not leading in any clear direction? No problem! Just throw in some more cliches--maybe something about ancient legends and blood sacrifices--that are unrelated to either teen horror movies or conspiracy movies. It's the third act. Nobody thinks during the third act.

4. Are there just 10 minutes left in the running time and your movie still doesn't make any fucking sense? Shoehorn in a brand new character that nobody's ever seen prior to this scene and have him/her explain everything in a long-winded monologue that pays no attention to the time-sensitivity of the impending doom, nor the fact that said character could simply shoot the listeners since they're supposed to die anyway.

5. Are there just 5 minutes left in the running time and you just now remembered that characters are supposed to have developed personalities? It's not too late for a quick, fleeting moment of bonding between unlikely friends. Even better: a slow, excruciatingly boring moment of bonding that has absolutely no consequence to the ending and is far too late for anybody to care about anyway.

6. Did your movie turn out to be thoroughly silly, and not in the way that you intended? End on titles with a heavy metal song. This is your absolute last chance to convince people that your movie was badass, visceral, mean, and scary.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:29 am

I agree and disagree.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not totally on board with 1), 2), and 3); I thought the characters were appealing and that having the secret government agency in charge of things actually was pretty clever (and resulted in some of the biggest laughs). I also thought the fact that the government agency was appeasing ancient evil Gods was an interesting idea, and one that actually supported all the effort they went through to sacrifice these poor kids.

4) 5) and 6) are TOTALLY spot on,though. The ending was ridiculous. I agree, my thought when Sigourney Weaver walked out was "WTH? Where did SHE come from? And why didn't she bring a pistol? Or armed guards?"

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 am
Ken wrote:
Spoiler-free review:

What a lifeless, self-satisfied turd. Are people so desperate for real cleverness in this pre-summer slump that they'll praise anything atypical that comes down the pike?

I'm with Ken on this one...got very excited to see this based on various reviews I read. Talk about a lot of hype about nothing! It wasn't a terrible movie, but it's pretty much already forgotten in my mind.

I also give this a resounding "meh" score.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I am also not sure what all the secrecy is about. You figure out the "big reveal" about five minutes into the movie (if you pay attention to the credits and the initial interactions between the government employees). It's not like the enjoyment of the movie is in any way spoiled if you know why the government employees are doing what they do.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:29 pm