Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:59 pm

SALO (1975) 
Site Admin

Post SALO (1975)
Click here for the review of Salo (1975)

Wrote this as a preemptive strike, since some contest winner was going to eventually request it... :)

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: SALO (1975)
Mr. B wrote:
Nevertheless, Salo is difficult to watch - not because of shock value or perceived depravity, but because it's boring through repetition with a point that doesn't justify 100 minutes of unpleasant tedium.

Here's the film broken down to one sentence for me. I can get the metaphor Pasolini was going for, but it's lost in the monotony.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:18 pm
Gaffer

Great review. I agree with just about everything you wrote. This and "Caligula" are right at the top of my "Worst Movies of All-Time" list.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm
Still... you have to admit that the Criterion people put a lot of time and effort into preserving/restoring this movie. The Blu-ray is unwatched by me, yet occupies a prominent position on my shelf among the other Criterions.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:44 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:
Click here for the review of Salo (1975)

Wrote this as a preemptive strike, since some contest winner was going to eventually request it... :)

Thanks for your willingness to take this bullet for us. Hopefully if/when I finally win one of these things, I'll give you something far more pleasurable to review!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm
Holy Synchronicity, Batman!

I'm just getting into The Cinema Snob, and just before I strolled onto Reelviews, I was watching the Snob's review of Salo!

Thanks to you two, I probably won't be watching this anytime soon. :)

If I wanted a pretentious and violent satire of mindless consumerism, I'd read/watch American Psycho.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 pm
Critic

Ahhhh bless you J.B.

This is my go-to title for worst movie I've ever seen. You forgot to mention, by the way, how awkwardly the work of De Sade is applied to the modern setting. Reminded me of when Fellini tried to film Satyricon -- some things aren't meant to be adapted to the screen.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:27 pm
One thing I noticed about Salo is how much Dogtooth pulled from it. Although their purposes are completely different, I think both aim for humor in really aberrant places. Unlike Dogtooth, though, which is consistently funny despite its subject matter, Salo has moments where all you want to do is turn away. Like, it's funny when the guy goes to the middle of the room to lay a turd. It's not funny when the girl is forced to eat it. In fact, it's awful. I'm probably one of the only ones on the board who likes the film and believe me I won't take it with me to my grave, but I think there's enough artistic merit to warrant viewings independent of finding out how shocking it is.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:23 pm
Director

I've been a longtime champion of Salo; what I should do in this forum is write a long defense of the film. It'll take a while (especially given the hours I work), but I do think that the film is a worthy artistic endeavor, though its audience is small.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm
I didn't think I'd want to watch this. Now I'm certain.
Since you've been in a bit of a masochistic mood lately, when are you reviewing A Serbian Film? ;-)

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm