Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:59 am

Rush (the band) 
Post Rush (the band)
What can be said that can't already be said about one of the most important, prolific, and amazing bands that has ever existed?

For me, Rush was the band that started it all. It's my dad's all time favorite band, and from my earliest memories I can remember my dad playing me Rush albums. I was weaned onto prog rock from a very young age.

I've seen them a total of four times (at Radio City Music Hall, Jones Beach, Saratoga Springs, and the Meadowlands). The time I saw them at Radio city, I was only two rows behind. Not that I would ever, but I could have spat on Geddy Lee's face if I so desired (I was THAT close, it was awesome).

It's hard for me to name one all time favorite musical group, but if I had to narrow it down to 5, Rush would be on the higher end of that list.

My favorite albums of theirs are Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and 2112.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm
Post Re: Rush (the band)
There is unrest in the forest.

There is trouble with the trees.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Damnit Saruman!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:11 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
What can be said that can't already be said about one of the most important, prolific, and amazing bands that has ever existed?

For me, Rush was the band that started it all. It's my dad's all time favorite band, and from my earliest memories I can remember my dad playing me Rush albums. I was weaned onto prog rock from a very young age.

I've seen them a total of four times (at Radio City Music Hall, Jones Beach, Saratoga Springs, and the Meadowlands). The time I saw them at Radio city, I was only two rows behind. Not that I would ever, but I could have spat on Geddy Lee's face if I so desired (I was THAT close, it was awesome).

It's hard for me to name one all time favorite musical group, but if I had to narrow it down to 5, Rush would be on the higher end of that list.

My favorite albums of theirs are Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, and 2112.

Damn! Why didn't I start this thread. Rush is easily my favorite band although I've still yet to see them in concert. My favorites albums would probably be 2112, Moving Pictures and Signals. I'm also a huge fan of the stuff they did during the mid and late 80's even though most of their other fans hate that stuff with a white-hot passion. I remember hearing their song "Driven" back in 8th grade, assuming they were a new band. I fell in love instantly and would later find out that they had actually been around for many years before then. They quickly became my favorite band as time marched on with perhaps only Alice In Chains coming close. Everything about these guys is amazing whether you care to discuss the musicianship or their penchant for thought-provoking lyrics. To me, this is what true rock music is all about!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 pm
I like them OK, though i'm not as big of a fan as you guys, as far as Canadian rock bands go, I prefer "Triumph"

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
I like them OK, though i'm not as big of a fan as you guys, as far as Canadian rock bands go, I prefer "Triumph"

Bro, if you know anything about Rush, you know that you don't show up on the internet in a thread about them and criticize them. Talk about a cult following, damn...

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Bro, if you know anything about Rush, you know that you don't show up on the internet in a thread about them and criticize them. Talk about a cult following, damn...

Oh I wasn't criticizing Rush, I never said they were bad or anything, I like them, just not as much as you guys, although I will say that they're output in the 90s is overlooked, "Roll The Bones" happens to be one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 am
Terrific band. I had the tremendous fortune to see them on their 30th anniversary tour, which was just jammed with awesome music and hardcore fans. Their documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage was on my list of top movies for the year that it came out.

I couldn't pick a favorite album. I could pick one per decade, considering that their sound evolves so dramatically over time that they might as well be a different band entirely from decade to decade. I'd say Hemispheres for the '70s, Moving Pictures for the '80s, Roll the Bones for the '90s, and Vapor Trails for the 'oughts.

The coolest thing about the band is that they're all incredible musicians and could easily wank their asses off on every song if they wanted to, but they prefer to keep a good balance and interact as a unit. They're one of the few rock bands where the full ensemble is of the utmost importance. There's no frontman, and there are no members who just sit anonymously in the backline and grind away on accompaniment.

Plus, they have a sense of humor about themselves. You have to love that in a rock band.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:58 am
I don't think there's a band more quintessential to their genre than Rush is for prog rock.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I don't think there's a band more quintessential to their genre than Rush is for prog rock.

Richard Cheese - parody lounge.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

True story: When I joined these forums it took me almost 6 months to realise that Evenflow's username was 8112 and not 2112. The whole time I thought it was a mash-up of Pearl Jam and Rush. It wasn't, but he does still appear to be a big Rush fan.

(More) On topic: I've never really spent serious time listening to Rush. What's the best entry point for the uninitiated?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

True story: When I joined these forums it took me almost 6 months to realise that Evenflow's username was 8112 and not 2112. The whole time I thought it was a mash-up of Pearl Jam and Rush. It wasn't, but he does still appear to be a big Rush fan.

(More) On topic: I've never really spent serious time listening to Rush. What's the best entry point for the uninitiated?

I would begin with Moving Pictures since that has the songs you're most likely to know such as "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight" and then go to Permanent Waves from there, maybe.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Listen to A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres, in back-to-back succession. Your mind will be BLOWN AWAY

edit: If you can't dedicate that much time to sitting down and listening to two albums, just start with Hemispheres and come back to kings later.

P.P.S. The musicianship on those albums is bonkers. La Villa Strangiato is so uber, even they, the guys who wrote it, had a hard time with it at first. Only Rush could write a song so musically complex that even they are challenged by it.

P.P.P.S. The musicianship on all Rush albums is bonkers, but you get the idea.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm
For a prog band, they're pretty accessible. I'd even suggest that any album mentioned in this thread could be a good place to start.

That said, I'll second Moving Pictures. It is uniformly excellent.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm
Anyone else waiting on bated breath for the release of their upcoming album (their nineteenth, if anyone is counting) Clockwork Angels? I thought I was going to cry when they pushed back the release date! It's supposed to drop in May, which thankfully is just around the corner.

Apparently, Neil Peart wants this to be his most accomplished album, both lyrically and drumming-wise. All I have to say is, holy shit. The world's most recognized and distinguished drummer/lyricist is determined to produce a magnum opus that is somehow more complete and superior than his already extensive, prolific and profound musical resume. Holy shit. Did I mention, holy shit?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:

Well here is my very humble input: Rush managed gracefully to morph from 70s prog rock into 80s post punk/reggae influences (think The Police) - check the part where they go into a reggae-ish groove in "Spirit of the Radio" - genius!

For me (sue me!) the quintessential band of prog rock is Genesis. They might be uncool, and a little bit too "pretty" in places - but boy what level of musicianship and compositional skills. Their problem was that they didn't master the transition from the 70s to the 80s. But there are other bands who failed: Queen, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Yes.

Don't get me wrong: I love Rush - BUT they are not the quintessencial prog rock band. They are groove, riff and unison- playing based. Their chord progressions lack the richness of (here I go again) Genesis. Tony Banks (he is the opposite of badass) can play circles around most prog rock keyboarders (Rush doesn't even have one). Did you guys really ever listened to early Phil Collins with Genesis - Nursery Cryme, Foxtrott, Selling England by the Pound, The lamb Lies Doen on Broadway (especially the 1998 live edition from the 1975 L.A.gig), A Trick of the Tail - sorry folks, in terms of power, wackiness, innovation and complexity he played circles around Neil Peart in his sleep. Phil could have played any Rush gig in the 80s - not so vice versa. (same with live genesis drummer Chester Thompson) If you don't believe me, do your research.

Anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mrqz96yeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXs4NttznHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LkVSog ... re=related
- THAT'S prock rock fellas! Totally independent, interlocking parts (the bass is not always locked into the drums), use of counterpoint, classical structures using movements instead of a pop song structure - Rush never even attepted this level of compositional skills. They are more inspired by / rooted in Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and (later) The Police than Genesis, Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

I still love Rush and listen to a lot of their stuff, but in no way are they the quintessential prog rock band.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 am
The strange thing is, I never really contextualized Rush as a "prog" band in my own mind. They don't seem terribly similar in style to other prog bands--Yes, ELO, Genesis, and so on. I tend to think of Rush as hard rock for the nerd crowd... which is probably what earns them the "prog" label.

And Neil can play circles around anybody, because he has a circular drum set.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 am
Ken wrote:
The strange thing is, I never really contextualized Rush as a "prog" band in my own mind. They don't seem terribly similar in style to other prog bands--Yes, ELO, Genesis, and so on. I tend to think of Rush as hard rock for the nerd crowd... which is probably what earns them the "prog" label.

And Neil can play circles around anybody, because he has a circular drum set.

Yep, that's what Rush is: a hard rock band for nerds. Since I am (kind of) a nerd, that's more than fine with me.

Don't get me wrong: Neil Peart IS a great drummer, but he is definitely overpraised compared to way more accomplished drummers (but that's life). Why did I compare him to Phil Collins (think young Phil with 70s/early 80s Genesis, not his 80s/90s solo career made of crappy songs) - because both have Buddy Rich as a strong influence and integrated jazz elements into their rock playing plus "melodic" use of rack and floor toms. Also: Peart (according to many sources) had mentors and coaches, Phil is 100% self taught (sorry but I try not to let the outcome bias get the better of me). I am strictly talking innovative 70s drummers, NOT ultra-virtuoso drummers with full pro education like Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, - or the newer generation like Tony Royster Jr., Thomas Lang, Marco Minnemann - who are just insanely brilliant.

BTW: did you really mean ELO (Electric Light Orchestra - basically a pompous kitsch version of the Beatles, but great fun) in your short list, or was it a typo and you meant ELP (Emerson, Lake and Palmer - three wacky guys who really were great musicians but took themselves way too seriously and bored the hell out of the audience in places)?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 am
I did mean ELO, but I have to admit, it wouldn't have mattered to me much if I had typoed and put ELP instead.

Peart has the good fortune to be in a band that, as I alluded to earlier, doesn't really feature a star player. They support one another. Collins had the rotten luck to be in a band with Peter Gabriel, who seems to overshadow everybody else in that part of the history of Genesis.

Vinnie Colaiuta... forget it. That dude is beyond rock drumming. Frank Zappa's Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar series is essentially a two man show between FZ and Vinnie, while the rest of the band saws away at two chord vamps. And it's glorious.

I'm not hugely familiar with Dave Weckl, but I have a well-worn copy of his Synergy album.

Well, it would be well-worn if it were on vinyl or tape.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 am
Ken wrote:
I did mean ELO, but I have to admit, it wouldn't have mattered to me much if I had typoed and put ELP instead.

Peart has the good fortune to be in a band that, as I alluded to earlier, doesn't really feature a star player. They support one another. Collins had the rotten luck to be in a band with Peter Gabriel, who seems to overshadow everybody else in that part of the history of Genesis.

Vinnie Colaiuta... forget it. That dude is beyond rock drumming. Frank Zappa's Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar series is essentially a two man show between FZ and Vinnie, while the rest of the band saws away at two chord vamps. And it's glorious.

I'm not hugely familiar with Dave Weckl, but I have a well-worn copy of his Synergy album.

Well, it would be well-worn if it were on vinyl or tape.

Well I am "afraid" I'll have to agree with you.
Collins, and the other Genesis band members, were overshadowed by Gabriel (since this topic has been discussed to death I won't take it any further than necessary). Gabriel is a wonderful vocalist but it is mostly his excentric upper class aura that is the key to his success. Collins is just an average Joe (he once stated in an interview for BBC Scotland in 1990: Peter was the misterious travelling salesman, I was the guy next door) - which made it all the harder for him.
Vinnie Colaiuta: that's what I said: he is one of the ultra virtuoso drummers. And please don't get me started on Zappa. I worship this man. He was a total genius on all levels.

Back to topic: that is 100% correct:the three band members of Rush compliment each other nicely. Noone overplays it (Stewart Copeland live anyone?) and they dovetail and lock-in just great. As tight as it gets.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 pm