Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Tucker Max...Thoughts? 
Assistant Director

Post Tucker Max...Thoughts?
I am a HUGE fan of Tucker Max. I think he's hysterical. The best book was the first ("Tucker Goes to a Hockey Game" never ceases to crack me up). But he is controversial. Some think he is sexist (admittedly, that's easy to believe) and promotes a "rape culture" (WTF is that?).

Anyone else love him? Hate him?

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Tucker Max...Thoughts?
He's a shitty writer and an inveterate liar. I guess he occasionally says something funny.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:44 pm
I never even heard of him until now, and from what i've read about him, it dosen't sound like i'm missing much of anything.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
I never even heard of him until now, and from what i've read about him, it dosen't sound like i'm missing much of anything.

Vex, I KNOW you'll like him. Based on your taste in movies, he's right up your alley.

This is his best story. If you like it, you'll like the other ones too.

Do me a favor Vex, and read this.

http://www.tuckermax.com/stories/tucker-goes-to-hockey-game-causes-trouble/

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Critic

A poor writer who revels in misogyny and drunkenness? What's not to like?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:47 am
JamesKunz wrote:

Agreed, I tried reading a few of his stories yesterday and wasn't particularly impressed, I got a few mild chuckles, but nothing laugh out hilarious.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Agreed, I tried reading a few of his stories yesterday and wasn't particularly impressed, I got a few mild chuckles, but nothing laugh out hilarious.

Did you read the story I linked?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
I honestly found Tucker Max's writings to be poorly written, unfunny, and shallow in their insights. If you want a good book that will make the dating world seem as scary and hilarious as it really is, try I Don't Care About Your Band, by Julie Klausner. Funny, cutting, incisive book that says more about love, life and sadly, all of us guys, than Tucker will ever bear out in his stories about shit-staining hotels. You'd have to be 13 to be a serious, public advocate of his work.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:02 pm
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Yeah I read it, it was mildly amusing I guess.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 pm
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Yes. It replaced his trademark hatred of women with a charming thematic arc about the superiority of drunk, obnoxious assholes to quiet lawyers with horn-rimmed glasses who want to watch a hockey game in peace

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm
Assistant Director

Quote:
Yes. It replaced his trademark hatred of women with a charming thematic arc about the superiority of drunk, obnoxious assholes to quiet lawyers with horn-rimmed glasses who want to watch a hockey game in peace

See, this is my problem with people who call him misogynist or promoting rape culture (the latter of which is slanderous). He may be misogynist, but that's not what's funny about it. You're laughing at him because he's such an ass. You're not supposed to agree with him.

And by the way, rape is an act of violence, not sex. It's an abuse of power. Rapists have deep seated psychological issues that they aren't going to get from reading a book. Especially this one.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
Quote:

See, this is my problem with people who call him misogynist or promoting rape culture (the latter of which is slanderous). He may be misogynist, but that's not what's funny about it. You're laughing at him because he's such an ass. You're not supposed to agree with him.

And by the way, rape is an act of violence, not sex. It's an abuse of power. Rapists have deep seated psychological issues that they aren't going to get from reading a book. Especially this one.

Who are you talking to? Your imaginary Tucker Max critic? I didn't say a word about rape

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 pm
Tucker Max thinks what he does is funny. The reader thinks what he does is funny. Therefore, the reader is laughing with him.

Whether he "promotes rape culture" or not, he treats other people--especially women--like shit. Yeah, he spins hinself like a harmless clown in his two-penny fairy tales, but when you get down to it, he's just another obnoxious douchebag who needs to grow up.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Tucker Max thinks what he does is funny. The reader thinks what he does is funny. Therefore, the reader is laughing with him.

Whether he "promotes rape culture" or not, he treats other people--especially women--like shit. Yeah, he spins hinself like a harmless clown in his two-penny fairy tales, but when you get down to it, he's just another obnoxious douchebag who needs to grow up.

True, he does (and apparently has) grown up. But I don't agree that this is misogynist literature. I'll say it again. You're laughing AT him, not with him. You're laughing at him because he's a moron, and because he does what one SHOULD NOT do when courting a woman (and usually gets his ass handed to him). That's a far cry from laughing because he's "putting women in their place" or some crap like that (God, can you imagine? No one would read his stuff then! Well, no one with a brain, that is.)

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:53 am
Profile WWW
He views women as objects and treats them like shit. However he spins it, it ultimately favors himself. He has very deservingly failed in his bid to take his enterprise out of the realm of D-list internet celebrity and I look forward to his future failures.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:32 am
Director

Never doing research on Tucker Max, I always assumed that name was a psuedonym for an author who could hide behind a persona and write freely about what he wouldn't do in a public forum, kind of like what poeple do on the itnernet. As TM, he could write as a drinking, misogynistic asshole and make a profit along the way. Good marketing plan, I guess.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm
Director

When I took my cataloging classes for library school, one of the books I had to catalog was I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. In addition to our completed assignment, we had to write a one or two sentence summary of each book we cataloged.

My summary for the Max book was "The drunken misadventures (sexual and otherwise) of the world's biggest asshole."

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 pm
Ken wrote:
He views women as objects and treats them like shit.

Tucker Max treats objects like women, man.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am
He may be an asshole, a liar, and a terrible writer, but he draws a lot of water in this town.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:52 pm