Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Poll #57: What happens after.... 

What happens after we die?
There's an afterlife 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
Re-incarnation 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A choice between afterlife and Re-incarnation(Like the end of What Dreams May Come) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not a damn thing 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 24

Poll #57: What happens after.... 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
moviemkr7 wrote:
I've been pondering this for a while.

I believe there's an afterlife. It just makes sense. I mean, we have conscious thought now, so if you take that away, it's essentially a black hole. I know I'm not making any sense, though.

I was raised Episcopalian. I don't go to church any more because frankly, it bores me. I have my own beliefs and I'm happy with that. For a few months, I was an atheist out of disgust by the Christian Right, but then I went into a chapel in Turkey and was "born again" haha. No, I'm not fundie though. I refuse to call myself a "Christian" because the term has been hijacked by the Christian Right. Therefore, I label myself as Episcopalian.


You didn't have conscious thought before you were born. Why would you have it after you died?

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
Listen to Talib Kweli wax poetic on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvZ9aXg5Xs

Seriously, it's a really impressive example of spoken word poetry.


Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 am
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
I appreciate and enjoy the idea of hope in human life entering the realm of the spiritual.



I tend to believe it's a complete and total lie, however.


Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 814
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
I've been pondering this for a while.

I believe there's an afterlife. It just makes sense. I mean, we have conscious thought now, so if you take that away, it's essentially a black hole. I know I'm not making any sense, though.

I was raised Episcopalian. I don't go to church any more because frankly, it bores me. I have my own beliefs and I'm happy with that. For a few months, I was an atheist out of disgust by the Christian Right, but then I went into a chapel in Turkey and was "born again" haha. No, I'm not fundie though. I refuse to call myself a "Christian" because the term has been hijacked by the Christian Right. Therefore, I label myself as Episcopalian.


You didn't have conscious thought before you were born. Why would you have it after you died?


But now that we have it, can you imagine what would happen to us without it? There is no such thing as "nothing."

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
I'm not sure the statement "there's no such thing as nothing" has any informational value either way.

If there was a time when you were not around, it is absolutely plausible that there will be a time again when you're not around. Of course it's hard to imagine. It's impossible to imagine. It is as far outside our experience as it gets. But, as we've learned time and time again, our experience is pitifully limited when it comes to understanding the natural order of things.


Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
moviemkr7 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
I've been pondering this for a while.

I believe there's an afterlife. It just makes sense. I mean, we have conscious thought now, so if you take that away, it's essentially a black hole. I know I'm not making any sense, though.

I was raised Episcopalian. I don't go to church any more because frankly, it bores me. I have my own beliefs and I'm happy with that. For a few months, I was an atheist out of disgust by the Christian Right, but then I went into a chapel in Turkey and was "born again" haha. No, I'm not fundie though. I refuse to call myself a "Christian" because the term has been hijacked by the Christian Right. Therefore, I label myself as Episcopalian.


You didn't have conscious thought before you were born. Why would you have it after you died?


But now that we have it, can you imagine what would happen to us without it? There is no such thing as "nothing."


Yes I can imagine what would happen to me without conscious thought -- I would be dead. Your argument falls under the heading of solipsism, but I'm afraid the world existed for several billion years without you, and it'll exist without you too.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr