Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 am

Poll #57: What happens after.... 

What happens after we die?
There's an afterlife 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
Re-incarnation 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A choice between afterlife and Re-incarnation(Like the end of What Dreams May Come) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not a damn thing 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 24

Poll #57: What happens after.... 
Critic

Post Re: Poll #57: What happens after....
moviemkr7 wrote:
I've been pondering this for a while.

I believe there's an afterlife. It just makes sense. I mean, we have conscious thought now, so if you take that away, it's essentially a black hole. I know I'm not making any sense, though.

I was raised Episcopalian. I don't go to church any more because frankly, it bores me. I have my own beliefs and I'm happy with that. For a few months, I was an atheist out of disgust by the Christian Right, but then I went into a chapel in Turkey and was "born again" haha. No, I'm not fundie though. I refuse to call myself a "Christian" because the term has been hijacked by the Christian Right. Therefore, I label myself as Episcopalian.

You didn't have conscious thought before you were born. Why would you have it after you died?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 pm
Listen to Talib Kweli wax poetic on the matter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvZ9aXg5Xs

Seriously, it's a really impressive example of spoken word poetry.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 am
I appreciate and enjoy the idea of hope in human life entering the realm of the spiritual.

I tend to believe it's a complete and total lie, however.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm
Assistant Director

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I believe there's an afterlife. It just makes sense. I mean, we have conscious thought now, so if you take that away, it's essentially a black hole. I know I'm not making any sense, though.

I was raised Episcopalian. I don't go to church any more because frankly, it bores me. I have my own beliefs and I'm happy with that. For a few months, I was an atheist out of disgust by the Christian Right, but then I went into a chapel in Turkey and was "born again" haha. No, I'm not fundie though. I refuse to call myself a "Christian" because the term has been hijacked by the Christian Right. Therefore, I label myself as Episcopalian.

You didn't have conscious thought before you were born. Why would you have it after you died?

But now that we have it, can you imagine what would happen to us without it? There is no such thing as "nothing."

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
I'm not sure the statement "there's no such thing as nothing" has any informational value either way.

If there was a time when you were not around, it is absolutely plausible that there will be a time again when you're not around. Of course it's hard to imagine. It's impossible to imagine. It is as far outside our experience as it gets. But, as we've learned time and time again, our experience is pitifully limited when it comes to understanding the natural order of things.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

But now that we have it, can you imagine what would happen to us without it? There is no such thing as "nothing."

Yes I can imagine what would happen to me without conscious thought -- I would be dead. Your argument falls under the heading of solipsism, but I'm afraid the world existed for several billion years without you, and it'll exist without you too.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm