Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:01 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Post The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Part 1!

BEST PICTURE

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

BEST WRITING - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BEST WRITING - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 am
Post Re: The Third Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Part 2!

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 am
Part 3!

BEST ART DIRECTION

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

BEST FILM EDITING

BEST MAKE-UP

BEST USE OF MUSIC

BEST SOUND EDITING

BEST SOUND MIXING

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:30 am
I've never been more happy to be wrong about predictions.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy A Separation won Best Effin' Picture! But soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad that Paradise Lost 3 didn't win.

But I mean, we awarded A Separation Best Picture!!

We are awesome! And now Petey Kunzie and I don't have to burn down any homes.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 am
Yes!

My picks in the major categories were mostly beaten out... but still, yes!

For Pedro.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 am
Wow! I was way off in my predictions (and in my votes, but that's ok). What interesting, well-informed winners. And wow Michael Shannon. Look at the rest of those guys--especially Clooney and Fassbender--they can't believe it!

Very pleased with Drive cleaning up the auditory awards. Besides the awesome use of music, it was definitely more the sound effects than the visuals--SQUISH--that had my wife burying her head in my shoulder when we saw it.

Love the new statue as well--well-done all around.

Choices are all-around really good. Only thing I can think to complain about--and it's nitpicking--is that Rango didn't really do it for me. But it really swung for the fences, so I'm happy with it winning over a Shrek spinoff or a Jack Black sequel.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 am
Some thoughts about the winners:

Tough to argue with A Separation winning Best Picture. It was my #3 film of last year, a truly incredible piece of work. I ended up relegating it to the Best Foreign Film category though, choosing Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for Best Picture instead. Turns out it didn't need my help to win in the top category.

Michael Shannon winning Best Actor is somewhat of a surprise. I figured Fassbender had that category wrapped up. And while I think I gave my vote to Fassbender, Shannon was a close #2. A well-deserved win.

I don't got the love for Rooney Mara. She was perfectly fine in Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but there was nothing in her performance that wasn't already accomplished with more skill and presence by Noomi Rapace in the original film.

Albert Brooks and Shailene Woodley are nice wins, especially since neither of them even got nominated at the Oscars.

The forum sure loved Drive! I don't think the film got even one of my final votes, although it appeared in many of my top fives. I completely forgot to include it in my Best Use Of Music picks, which was a ludicrous oversight.

I'm happy Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy got a couple of wins. I liked The Descendants, but I felt Tinker Tailor really should have won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.

Excellent work as always, Pedro!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 pm
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:

I don't got the love for Rooney Mara. She was perfectly fine in Fincher's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but there was nothing in her performance that wasn't already accomplished with more skill and presence by Noomi Rapace in the original film.

You're missing the point. The genius of Mara's performance was that her character didn't have Rapace's presence. Instead of being a ballsy maneater, Mara's Lisbeth is a maladjusted child. She's more vulnerable, but still incredibly capable of violence.

Now that's not to say you have to like her performance, but it wasn't just Rapace Part Deux

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:22 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

You're missing the point. The genius of Mara's performance was that her character didn't have Rapace's presence. Instead of being a ballsy maneater, Mara's Lisbeth is a maladjusted child. She's more vulnerable, but still incredibly capable of violence.

Now that's not to say you have to like her performance, but it wasn't just Rapace Part Deux

I'll watch it again once it hits DVD, but other than her eating McDonald's Happy Meals and developing inexplicable romantic feelings towards Daniel Craig in the final twenty minutes (which I've said elsewhere doesn't ring true at all for me), I didn't see anything that would indicate a "genius" reinterpretation of the Salander character.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I'll watch it again once it hits DVD, but other than her eating McDonald's Happy Meals and developing inexplicable romantic feelings towards Daniel Craig in the final twenty minutes (which I've said elsewhere doesn't ring true at all for me), I didn't see anything that would indicate a "genius" reinterpretation of the Salander character.

Genius might be a bit much on my part, but notice her mannerisms. Even during sex, she's very naive

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Genius might be a bit much on my part, but notice her mannerisms. Even during sex, she's very naive
I saw the Swedish version and then read the book. From what I've been reading, Mara's Lisbeth is a bit more closer to the written from than Rapace's. I felt those aspects you mentioned were missing in Rapace who showed Lisbeth's raw side. I didn't notice too much vulnerability about her which I did read in the book - especially towards the end when her relationship with Blomkvist develops. Having not seen the English version, I cannot confirm this but it is true of what I've been reading elsewhere.

Great job Pedro and everyone who voted. The awards have been fairly in keeping with the RV consensus for the past year.

1. A Separation for Best Picture is a great choice. It was top on my list for the past year and nothing I've seen has come close to it. A genuine masterpiece which deserves all the applause it has gotten over the past few months.
  2. Bit sad to see Certified Copy not winning best Original Screenplay. Although I loved A Separation, I thought the screenplay for CC was much better. But then again my favorite Margin Call was not even nominated.
  3. Adapted Screenplay for TTSS made me real glad. I read the book first and it was my first Le Carre novel. If you've ever read his novels, you would know how difficult they are to adapt. And it was almost the perfect adaptation in every sense. They kept everything necessary and removed everything unnecessary. The Descendants was good but definitely not as challenging as TTSS.
  4. Michael Shannon for Take Shelter is the one I really cared about. That he wasn't even nominated for any of the major awards simply demonstrate how pointless they've become these days. My favorite performance of the year was Gosling for Ides of March. Since that wasn't nominated, picking Shannon seemed like a no-brainer.
  5. Definite surprise of the lot is Mara's win for GWTDT. I didn't know she had so much momentum on RV. I've not read many posts glorifying her performance on here or maybe I've not been reading that much. My pick was Binoche for CC.
  6. Best Editing, Best Music and all sound awards for Drive also are great picks. Best Cinematography for Tree of Life is a great choice as well although my pick was for the spectacular looking War Horse.
  7. HP8 for best special effects was my pick as well. I was hoping they wouldn't spoil the final battle which is critical and they had delivered perfectly. The nightmare of the attack on Hogwarts and everybody holding out. I would say in terms of bringing book to screen, it was right up there with the Battle for Helm's Deep and Battle of Pelennor Fields from LOTR.

Overall, great choices all around. As I said earlier, Pedros over the Oscars anyday for me.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Due to all the films I didn't see, I'll have to take the winners as a recommended must-see list for the ones I haven't seen already.

I can't help but lament that others weren't as impressed by Hunter McCracken as I was. For such a young actor to channel such an emotionally real mixture of neediness, ennui, and chaotic malevolence is stunning. Plus, he looks like a young Stanley Kubrick, which I felt was a great enhancement to his performance.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:24 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
I can't help but lament that others weren't as impressed by Hunter McCracken as I was. For such a young actor to channel such an emotionally real mixture of neediness, ennui, and chaotic malevolence is stunning. Plus, he looks like a young Stanley Kubrick, which I felt was a great enhancement to his performance.
My original picks for supporting actor were Jeremy Irons and Kevin Spacey from Margin Call. They were absolutely splendid and I am not sure whether the Reelviews folk overlooked the film or were just not as enamored with it as I was. Anyways, since they didn't get nominated, my next choice was Hunter McCracken. He gave an absolutely amazing performance that you just wouldn't expect from such a young actor. Arguably the best young performance in years and there were many last year - Him, Elle Fanning, Shailene Woodley (thought this isn't really "young") and Thomas Horn (though I haven't seen this one).

As an aside, Shailene Woodley for Best Supporting Actress is a great pick and my choice as well. Apart from her performance which in itself was great, she "clicked" with Clooney and they made a great father/daughter pairing which was essential to the film's success. The top two have lined up like my list though I picked Chastain for Take Shelter over The Help but as long as she's there, I am not complaining.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Ken wrote:
My original picks for supporting actor were Jeremy Irons and Kevin Spacey from Margin Call. They were absolutely splendid and I am not sure whether the Reelviews folk overlooked the film or were just not as enamored with it as I was. Anyways, since they didn't get nominated, my next choice was Hunter McCracken. He gave an absolutely amazing performance that you just wouldn't expect from such a young actor. Arguably the best young performance in years and there were many last year - Him, Elle Fanning, Shailene Woodley (thought this isn't really "young") and Thomas Horn (though I haven't seen this one).

I loved McCracken's performance as well. He was one of my 5 nominees. When it came to voting for a winner, McCracken, Stoll, and Plummer were almost a three-way tie for me, with Nolte about a half-step back. I ultimately voted for Nolte, because Warrior was by far my favorite movie of the year, and I couldn't keep from voting for it in its one nominated category. I still wouldn't have done it if I thought Nolte was undeserving--call it a tie-breaker. Overall, though, that was a ridiculously strong category. I didn't see MMMM; of the rest of them I thought Albert Brooks' performance was the weakest and even it was still really really good and a fine winner.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Shade wrote:
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy A Separation won Best Effin' Picture!

FUCK YES!!!!

Seriously, that's just awesome. Any minor quabbles I have with the winners (and there aren't many) would be pointless to even go into given this. It makes me happy, which according to Sheryl Crow, can't be that bad.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 am
Also, as always, a great thanks to Pedro. The presentation is terrific, and this gets more fun every year.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:36 am
Ken wrote:
Due to all the films I didn't see, I'll have to take the winners as a recommended must-see list for the ones I haven't seen already.

This.

I really enjoyed this whole process. Even though I didn't see many movies the last two months, the quality of pictures I did see was high due to The Pedros. The majority of the movies I choose to watch nowadays depends on what I read from you guys. So yeah, as Ken said, I've got a bunch of must-see titles here.

Pedro. Thumbs up man. One day I'll be up in San Fran (or you'll be back in LA) and I'll buy you a beer.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:14 pm
Oh...couple of comments, thoughts, questions...

We really enjoyed the craft of Drive, right? The way it was put together. And I completely agree. I try to recommend the film to people, but get lost in trying to explain the plot. It's not about the plot though, it's about the style of it all. I've said it before, but I feel that movie. The direction, the cinematography, the editing, the acting, but mostly, the music gets me in a mood I can't describe. Really happy we awarded the film like we did.

Saying all of that. I completely agree with A Separation being our Best Picture. Drive was my favorite film from last year (and a while) but A Separation was the best.

Hey Pedro. Are the pictures listed in placed order? Probably not the case but had to ask.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm
ram1312 wrote:

Hey Pedro. Are the pictures listed in placed order? Probably not the case but had to ask.

If it is then it's an amazing coincidence that all the runner-ups are in alphabetical order

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:30 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

If it is then it's an amazing coincidence that all the runner-ups are in alphabetical order

HA! Fuck me...I just noticed.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next