Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:46 am

The sad story of Tayvon Martin 
Director

Post The sad story of Tayvon Martin
Read the story. A sad story of how we are NOT living in a Post-racial America.
http://allpowertothepositive.blogspot.com/2012/03/justice-for-tayvon-martin-unarmed-black.html

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:55 am
Profile YIM
Post Re: The sad story of Tayvon Martin
Ufnortunately, the cold hard truth is that there's always going to be a few assholes who are dumb enough to consider people a threat based on their race, that's nothing new, about 6 years ago, some NYPD officers shot a guy 13 times because they thought he was carrying a grenade- he was eating a pear at a cafe :roll:

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:57 pm
Vexer wrote:
Ufnortunately, the cold hard truth is that there's always going to be a few assholes who are dumb enough to consider people a threat based on their race, that's nothing new, about 6 years ago, some NYPD officers shot a guy 13 times because they thought he was carrying a grenade- he was eating a pear at a cafe :roll:

That's actually a complete urban legend that comes from a joke that Dane Cook told (and probably stole because he's Dane Cook). The Amadou Diallo shooting (when he pulled out a wallet and was shot 41 times) is a real story that "inspired" legends like the pear one, the sandwich one, the cell phone one, etc etc.

The Martin story, though, is absurd. The shooter should serve a life sentence. Once the 911 tape comes out, hopefully he will.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:08 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

That's actually a complete urban legend that comes from a joke that Dane Cook told (and probably stole because he's Dane Cook). The Amadou Diallo shooting (when he pulled out a wallet and was shot 41 times) is a real story that "inspired" legends like the pear one, the sandwich one, the cell phone one, etc etc.

The Martin story, though, is absurd. The shooter should serve a life sentence. Once the 911 tape comes out, hopefully he will.

Oh, my bad :lol: Though the wallet story actually sounds even more ridiculous when you think about it.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:11 pm
Vexer wrote:
Oh, my bad :lol: Though the wallet story actually sounds even more ridiculous when you think about it.

I think they're both pretty absurd but I get what you're saying. Cook's* joke was, essentially: "How does a pear look like a grenade? Was the guy eating it, then screamed because it was so good, pulled the stem out and threw it into the street?"

[Reveal] Spoiler:
*Again, he probably stole the joke because he's Dane Cook.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:33 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I think they're both pretty absurd but I get what you're saying. Cook's* joke was, essentially: "How does a pear look like a grenade? Was the guy eating it, then screamed because it was so good, pulled the stem out and threw it into the street?"

[Reveal] Spoiler:
*Again, he probably stole the joke because he's Dane Cook.

I always roll me eyes whenever I hear somebody accuse Dane of "stealing" jokes, it's an extremely baseless accusation.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm
The shooter had been arrested before for battery. Sounds like he has a hard-on for throwing his weight around. We'll see how that works out in prison.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm
I hate white people.

For anyone who is curious, I myself am 100% whitebread caucasian mayonaisse eatin' honkey. God, do I hate them.

Ever notice how nobody in the "community watch" is a person of a "race" other than caucasian?

I mean, I'm generally a misanthropic bastard towards all people, but white folk take the cake. Perhaps an extension of some sort of white guilt, but I feel no shame in saying white people seriously fucking suck.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yes, I know I'm being caustic. I know not all white people suck and I'm generalizing. But anyone who thinks the "system" or "culture" we have in place isn't racist and favorable for caucasians compared to others isn't paying attention/

Vexer wrote:
I always roll me eyes whenever I hear somebody accuse Dane of "stealing" jokes, it's an extremely baseless accusation.

This, indeed, is an eye-roll inducing statement. Not surprised given the source, but what base do you have for claiming the accusations are baseless? Sure, comedians "borrow" material from each other all the time. Been happening since the dawn of stand up. But there's a difference between taking a familiar concept and putting your own flavor on it and outright plagiarism.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:39 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I hate white people.

For anyone who is curious, I myself am 100% whitebread caucasian mayonaisse eatin' honkey. God, do I hate them.

Ever notice how nobody in the "community watch" is a person of a "race" other than caucasian?

I mean, I'm generally a misanthropic bastard towards all people, but white folk take the cake. Perhaps an extension of some sort of white guilt, but I feel no shame in saying white people seriously fucking suck.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Yes, I know I'm being caustic. I know not all white people suck and I'm generalizing. But anyone who thinks the "system" or "culture" we have in place isn't racist and favorable for caucasians compared to others isn't paying attention/

Vexer wrote:

This, indeed, is an eye-roll inducing statement. Not surprised given the source, but what base do you have for claiming the accusations are baseless? Sure, comedians "borrow" material from each other all the time. Been happening since the dawn of stand up. But there's a difference between taking a familiar concept and putting your own flavor on it and outright plagiarism.
Well I've seen very little evidence to refute any of the claims that Dane has "plagarized" anything, I think some people just have WAAAYYYYY TOO much time on their hands. I remember when George Lopez claimed that Carlos Mencia "stole" his jokes, as it turns out, the only joke that was proven to have been previously used by Lopez was a Taco Bell joke, however Lopez himself stole that joke from Ted Sarnowski, who actually gave Carlos permission to use said joke; which needless to say, made Lopez look like a total hypocrite. So whenever anybody claims a comedian is "stealing" jokes, I have a hard time taking them seriously. For the record I don't believe Dennis Leary ever stole from Bill Hicks either, granted I will admit there were similarities in they're styles of comedy, because of the similiarities, Hicks and Leary were unable to both perform in a comedy club on the same night.

Also I think it's a tad extreme to hate white people just because of a few racist assholes. You can't pretend that other races are completely innocent of being racist themselves. I've read true accounts from people who have been to China who talk about how racist most people there are, they sound even worse then we do, they apparently think all people of African descent carry around spears :roll: Just one more reason not to go visit there.

Last edited by Vexer on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm
Vexer wrote:
Well I've seen very little evidence to refute any of the claims that Dane has "plagarized" anything, I think some people just have WAAAYYYYY TOO much time on their hands.

Grammar issues? So you haven't seen evidence that disproves Cook is a plagiarizer? Yeah, me neither. Lol. Also, I'm sure the origins of the accusation of Cook being a thief didn't stem from people desperately seeking to prove that he is an uncreative hack, but rather people who recognized other comedian's bits in Cook's work.

Vexer wrote:
Also I think it's a tad extreme to hate white people just because of a few racist assholes. You can't pretend that other races are completely innocent either, it's not just white people who are racist. I've read true accounts from people who have been to China who talk about how racist most people are, they sound even worse!

A few? A few?

Aside from the point, deep down I know that white people aren't any worse than anyone else. Everybody sucks. But, for whatever it's worth, white people and their racism/ideals bothers me the most.

Also, don't you think it's a little silly to say "you shouldn't hate all white people cus of a few racists" and then proceed to imply that China is more egregious in their racism?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Well I've seen very little evidence to refute any of the claims that Dane has "plagarized" anything, I think some people just have WAAAYYYYY TOO much time on their hands.

Grammar issues? So you haven't seen evidence that disproves Cook is a plagiarizer? Yeah, me neither. Lol. Also, I'm sure the origins of the accusation of Cook being a thief didn't stem from people desperately seeking to prove that he is an uncreative hack, but rather people who recognized other comedian's bits in Cook's work.

Vexer wrote:
Also I think it's a tad extreme to hate white people just because of a few racist assholes. You can't pretend that other races are completely innocent either, it's not just white people who are racist. I've read true accounts from people who have been to China who talk about how racist most people are, they sound even worse!

A few? A few?

Aside from the point, deep down I know that white people aren't any worse than anyone else. Everybody sucks. But, for whatever it's worth, white people and their racism/ideals bothers me the most.

Also, don't you think it's a little silly to say "you shouldn't hate all white people cus of a few racists" and then proceed to imply that China is more egregious in their racism?

I'm just going by what I heard exchange students say about China, I don't for sure if they are any more racist then us(though they're definitely worse then use in terms of poverty and living conditions, but lets not get into that now) and I hate racist ideals as much as you do, i'm just saying that everyone is capable of racism regardless of descent, and self-hatred is a notion that solves absolutely nothing, hating your own race won't make things any better.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 pm
Many countries are unequivocally more racist than the majority of Americans, mainly because they have relatively homogenous/closed cultures. What they know about other cultures is what they receive through pop-cultural osmosis.

There are much better ways to go about dealing with racism than to hate the racist. It is self-defeating and ultimately cowardly to hide behind cynicism.

Also, Dane Cook is a joke thief, but his bigger crime is that he's annoying and unfunny.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:40 pm
Ken wrote:
There are much better ways to go about dealing with racism than to hate the racist. It is self-defeating and ultimately cowardly to hide behind cynicism.

I don't hate racists, I hate everybody. The real cynics are the ones that try to convince you "everything is going to be ok."

It may sound like anger, but really it's just sympathetic contempt. If it's cowardice, is the antithesis arrogance? I don't pretend to have the answers. You may think it cowardly to be an passive observer instead of an activist, but I believe if you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem.

/ironichypocrisy (<3 dane cook)

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:36 pm
Also, for anyone planning to come at me with "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing;" firstly, there's no such thing as a "good man" or "good person" for that matter (might as well be politically correct). Nobody is innocent, life is determined by chance of circumstance and biology. Secondly, I don't think being a "cynic" necessarily equates to "doing nothing."

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:41 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Ken wrote:

I don't hate racists, I hate everybody. The real cynics are the ones that try to convince you "everything is going to be ok."

It may sound like anger, but really it's just sympathetic contempt. If it's cowardice, is the antithesis arrogance? I don't pretend to have the answers. You may think it cowardly to be an passive observer instead of an activist, but I believe if you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem.

/ironichypocrisy (<3 dane cook)

How can you be part of the problem if you think there's a better solution? :? I don't get it.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:02 pm
Vexer wrote:
How can you be part of the problem if you think there's a better solution? :? I don't get it.

Hmmm, what's a good way to explain this...

Ever hear of the phrase, "Cutting off the head to cure the headache?"

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Oh, bullshit.

Quote:
That's a cute line. I might have to steal it, next time I'm being ironic.

Of course you pretend to know it all. You're pretending it right now.

Everybody knows the world has problems. It's the cynic who says, "I know enough to know that this is unfixable. So I'm going to sit here and be pissy about it while other people actually work this shit out, and when they do, they will carry my cynical ass into the future that I try so hard to pretend will never come, all while I surround myself with sordid news stories and blather on about how it's all gone to shit."

Fuck's sake, man, one of the central driving forces of human problems is that people convince themselves that everybody and everything is just hopelessly fucked up. That way, they can absolve themselves of any responsibility to do anything or even dare to believe that things can be better, because, hey, we're just getting the world we deserve! I guess it's one way to comfort yourself.

I know that you're not going to change overnight just because somebody told you to grow up, be an adult, and accept that we still have a responsibility to turn our chimpanzee brains on once in a while. But it seems to me that you've gone through life without enough people pointing out that you're full of it.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 pm
Ken wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Oh, bullshit.

Quote:
That's a cute line. I might have to steal it, next time I'm being ironic.

Of course you pretend to know it all. You're pretending it right now.

Everybody knows the world has problems. It's the cynic who says, "I know enough to know that this is unfixable. So I'm going to sit here and be pissy about it while other people actually work this shit out, and when they do, they will carry my cynical ass into the future that I try so hard to pretend will never come, all while I surround myself with sordid news stories and blather on about how it's all gone to shit."

Fuck's sake, man, one of the central driving forces of human problems is that people convince themselves that everybody and everything is just hopelessly fucked up. That way, they can absolve themselves of any responsibility to do anything or even dare to believe that things can be better, because, hey, we're just getting the world we deserve! I guess it's one way to comfort yourself.

I know that you're not going to change overnight just because somebody told you to grow up, be an adult, and accept that we still have a responsibility to turn our chimpanzee brains on once in a while. But it seems to me that you've gone through life without enough people pointing out that you're full of it.

Don't you think you're making a lot of assumptions? You certainly are putting a lot of words into my mouth.

Tongue in cheek, grain of salt, that cute little line (and much of that post) is paraphrased from a George Carlin bit, which I thought myself immensely clever for doing considering I was making the claim that Dane Cook is a uncreative, plagiarist dolt. Hence the ironic hypocrisy.

My so labeled "cynicism" hasn't waived me of my personal responsibilities, I do indeed have endeavors I'd like to see come to fruition. I don't conduct my life based around the fact that we're essentially fucked, I just think it's the highest likihood. To once again quote Carlin, "I'm a personal optimist but skeptical of all else."

You've pidgeonholed me as this sort of cathartic debbie downer who does nothing but complain about everything. This is not true.

I personally believe the best way for me to combat against the plagues of this world is to try to be as decent a person as I can. Lead by example, if you will. You know how I combat racism? By judging people for who they are. I can't change the world, but I can control how I live out my life and how I choose to express myself.

Also, everyone is full of shit. :)

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:49 pm
P.S.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I do indeed have endeavors I'd like to see come to fruition. I don't conduct my life based around the fact that we're essentially fucked

I personally believe the best way for me to combat against the plagues of this world is to try to be as decent a person as I can. Lead by example, if you will. You know how I combat racism? By judging people for who they are. I can't change the world, but I can control how I live out my life and how I choose to express myself.

Jesus H. Christ, I didn't expect you to change overnight, but I really didn't expect you to change between posts.

I have to find a good use for my surprisingly potent powers of persuasion.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 pm