Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 am

JOHN CARTER 
Site Admin

Post JOHN CARTER
Click here for the review of John Carter

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: JOHN CARTER
I get the feeling you really feel for the source material Mr. B. Please don't take this the wrong way (and I don't like it when posters say this) but it doesn't read like a 3 star review.

Please believe when I say I was elated to see the 3 star review. I'm a fan of Andrew Stanton because of Pixar. I'm, also, getting the feeling of the studio not giving/allowing the freedom Stanton gets at Pixar? Could this have made a stronger movie?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:20 am
Gaffer

This really feels more like a 2 1/2 star review. However, the movie sounds interesting enough to give it a try on blu-ray.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 am
My dad really wants to see this but I'm not sure. This is the only genre where my opinion tends to diverge heavily from James. Avatar was a terrible movie experience for me and I hated almost every minute of it. Is there any chance I'll enjoy this one or is it a run-of-the-mill action movie like it appears?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:53 am
Assistant Director

G'Day
I like your classification of Fantasy/Action because after seeing the Rover patrolling Mars hard to justify this film as Science Fiction lol
The 3D is murky and the movie had its moments for me but not to the point of 3 stars as a whole. I would give 4 stars to the Martian dog thou ;-)
Cheers

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I wonder how many people have actually read any of the original Edgar Rice Burroughs books? Many years ago, I managed to get through the first John Carter book, Princess of Mars. I don't want to offend any of ERB's fans, but let's just say that the Frazetta cover picture was the highlight of the book for me.

I think I'll wait for the DVD of this movie.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 am
I saw this last night. JB's review probably reads like a 2 1/2 star review because it's a 2 1/2 star movie. "Loosely based" on the source material is definitely correct. And it is definitely the Disney version of the novels. Not a complete waste of time, but definitely nothing you need to rush out and see. Also, check your brain at the door. No need to even try to think or follow what is supposed to be going on. Just enjoy the visuals and try not to get too pissed off at the crappy 3D.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 am
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Than is being controlled by a race of immortal creatures whose entertainment comes from manipulating the rise and fall of empires and planets.

Has shades of the Shadows on "Babylon 5." Not surprising, since the John Carter stories were probably an influence on J. Michael Stracynski.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 pm
Second Unit Director

MunichMan wrote:
I saw this last night. JB's review probably reads like a 2 1/2 star review because it's a 2 1/2 star movie. "Loosely based" on the source material is definitely correct. And it is definitely the Disney version of the novels. Not a complete waste of time, but definitely nothing you need to rush out and see. Also, check your brain at the door. No need to even try to think or follow what is supposed to be going on. Just enjoy the visuals and try not to get too pissed off at the crappy 3D.

One criticism I keep reading is that the film is not emotionally engaging. Why would you say that is?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 pm
Gaffer

I found there were several problems with John Carter, but I did not care about one of them; the movie captures the magic of the century old Edgar Rice Burroughs novel perfectly: see my full review: http://bit.ly/xaE4NF

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm
Site Admin

Michael Knight wrote:
This really feels more like a 2 1/2 star review. However, the movie sounds interesting enough to give it a try on blu-ray.

3 stars equates to a recommendation for theatrical viewing. Is it weaker than many 3-star films? Yes. But still worth seeing if you have any interest. But avoid the 3-D.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

The review of John Carter was pretty much dead on and I would give it 3 stars also.It was a lot of fun to watch and captures that Burrough's pulp action novel feel really well.Enjoyed it way more than Avatar.Initially was worried with how clunky and bad the Earthbound prologue was but it improved immensely when the action moves to Mars.The one person I was impressed with was Lynn Collins who doesn't have a big part but somehow manages to keep your attention on her.

Thanks for the warning about the bad 3D but had to drive to the other part of the city to see it in 2D.The thing I can't understand how there can be such differences in 3D.The 3D in the Immortals was quite good but in Conan the Barbarian so bad I had a headache for the rest of the day.I thought it was just the same optical process that all the studios use and you would think they would test watch it till they had gotten it just right.Is there a cheap Wal-mart 3D photo finishing dept. that some studios use while others go to the professionals?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 am
James: "It helps with the suspension of disbelief if you don't try to figure out why there are so many sword fights in a movie with giant airships. Hey, Star Wars had lightsabers!"

Ebert: "When superior technology is at hand, it seems absurd for heroes to limit themselves to swords. When airships the size of a city block can float above a battle, why handicap yourself with cavalry charges involving lumbering alien rhinos? ... Even if we completely suspend our disbelief and accept the entire story at face value, isn't it underwhelming to spend so much time looking at hand-to-hand combat when there are so many neat toys and gadgets to play with?"

Sounds like one of you is responding to the other. :D

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm
Second Unit Director

Terry Gilliam sums up why you use swords instead of high tech in this exchange between Baron Munchausen and the god Vulcan(played excellently by Oliver Reed)in his arms factory.

Quote:
Baron Munchausen: What's this?
Vulcan: Oh, this is our prototype. RX, uh, Intercontinental, radar-sneaky, multi-warheaded nuclear missile.
Baron Munchausen: Ah! What does it do?
Vulcan: Do? Kills the enemy.
Baron Munchausen: All the enemy?
Vulcan: Aye, all of them. All their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep, and all their cattle, and all their cats and dogs. All of them. All of them gone for good.
Sally: That's horrible.
Vulcan: Ahh. Well, you see, the advantage is you don't have to see one single one of them die. You just sit comfortably thousands of miles away from the battlefield and simply press the button.
Berthold: Well, where's the fun in that?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:43 pm
Talyseon wrote:
I found there were several problems with John Carter, but I did not care about one of them.

My feelings exactly. I really enjoyed this movie. 3.5 stars out of 4. Screw the problems.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:55 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Sadly, I think it's generous to give this film even 1 star. To my jaded eyes, it moves with the speed of a snail and has nothing to recommend it. People in the cinema around me were shuffling their feet and texting their friends.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:00 am
Profile WWW
dmar91 wrote:
Sadly, I think it's generous to give this film even 1 star. To my jaded eyes, it moves with the speed of a snail and has nothing to recommend it. People in the cinema around me were shuffling their feet and texting their friends.

Dustin pretty much felt the same way

http://themovieboy.com/reviews/j/12_johncarter.htm

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 am
Producer

I haven't seen the movie yet. Will likely see it tomorrow or Tuesday. But I will say I LOVE the 10 minute clip that is online where Carter is arrested by and escapes custody of Bryan Cranston's character (stealing his horse) and the big chase scene involving the Indians. Great stuff. Beautifully photographed too. Superb cinematography in this scene.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:58 am
JPBronsin wrote:
James: "It helps with the suspension of disbelief if you don't try to figure out why there are so many sword fights in a movie with giant airships. Hey, Star Wars had lightsabers!"

Ebert: "When superior technology is at hand, it seems absurd for heroes to limit themselves to swords. When airships the size of a city block can float above a battle, why handicap yourself with cavalry charges involving lumbering alien rhinos? ... Even if we completely suspend our disbelief and accept the entire story at face value, isn't it underwhelming to spend so much time looking at hand-to-hand combat when there are so many neat toys and gadgets to play with?"

Sounds like one of you is responding to the other. :D

Grown men shouldn't have to even try and figure these things out or ask such stupid questions.

I turn your attention to 'Starship Troopers':

"The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand"

Done.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't normally care anything about box office receipts, but I can't help but notice that John Carter's US tickets sales in its opening weekend were disastrous, around $30 million for a $250 million movie. This was despite a large marketing budget that placed ads all over TV, including the Super Bowl. I have to ask, what went wrong?

For me, personally, none of those ads were interesting at all. They showed this shirtless dude fighting hordes of CGI monsters, scenes that were essentially no different from stuff I've already seen in the Star Wars prequels, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Prince of Persia, and about a half dozen other similar CGI action-fests. If a studio wants to convince me to come to the theater, they need to at least suggest something I've never seen before on the screen, not retreads of a dozen other movies.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:09 pm